X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Archaeologists Discovered 80 Venetian Coins in Strumica

Comprehensive up-to-date news coverage, aggregated from sources all over the world.

11 May 2009 | Archaeologists from the Regional Institute for the Protection of Monuments of Culture and Museum in Strumica recently announced the discovery of a collection of around 80 silver Venetian coins.

The coins date to the end of the thirteenth and the beginning of the fourteenth centuries, the Dnevnik newspaper reported today. Initial information points to the fact that the Tsarevi Kuli Fortress near Strumica was marked by intensive life through the centuries.

The erstwhile population of the area, according to the publication, had trade relations with the Republic of Venice – Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia, especially after the fall of Constantinople in 1204 and the formation of the Latin kingdoms in the Byzantine Empire.

As BalkanTravellers.com reported in April, archaeologists’’ recent findings at the Tsarevi Kuli site included 4,300 medieval coins, dating to Komnenos dynasty from the second half of the twelfth century and the beginning of the thirteenth century, as well as several fourth-century-BC coins with the image of the father of Alexander the Great – Philip II of Macedon.

In addition to coins, the site until now has also yielded other important findings, as well as a pre-historic settlement, which testifies to the existence of life in the area for over seven millennia.
    If it was Greece, I wonder if they would have even shown the coins.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • osiris
    • Sep 2008

fuck the strumichani must be italians in that case, as are all the nations of europe where ones finds latin inscriptions.

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

If we wind back the sarcasm a little Osiris, I am sure you would agree it would be reasonable to say the Macedonians are the product of various invasions and influences. It defines what we are today. Like all modern nations .... except Greece.
      Risto the Great

Comment

• Delodephius
        • Sep 2008

If it wasn't for the Byzantine/East Roman religious expansion policy and success in that area in the 9th century, Macedonians, Serbs and Montenegrins would most likely be Catholics today.
        अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
        उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
        This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
        But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.

Comment

• Spartan
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
          If we wind back the sarcasm a little Osiris, I am sure you would agree it would be reasonable to say the Macedonians are the product of various invasions and influences. It defines what we are today. Like all modern nations .... except Greece.
          I disagree
          Greece has also been shaped by various invasions and assimilations in my humblest of opinions

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
            I disagree
            Greece has also been shaped by various invasions and assimilations in my humblest of opinions
            Of course it has.
            But it denies these influences.
            Risto the Great

Comment

• Spartan
              • Sep 2008

Luckily Risto, we have our brains to detemine fact from fiction
              Generally speaking

Comment

• Pelister
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by osiris View Post
                fuck the strumichani must be italians in that case, as are all the nations of europe where ones finds latin inscriptions.

haha. The thought hadn't crossed my mind but your dead right.

Comment

• Pelister
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
                  Luckily Risto, we have our brains to detemine fact from fiction
                  Generally speaking
                  If only that were enough.

What gives the Greek lie so much power is that the lie has been made mainstream - its believed by alot of people and that gives it political power.

How do we reverse this, challenge it? I don't know, one step at a time I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                  X