• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Delodephius
    • Sep 2008

Prince Marko and the Thracian horseman

This is from the Serbian Wikipedia:

Mitološki sloj legende o Kraljeviću Marku kao tračkom konjaniku

Legenda o Marku poseduje u početku sve prepoznatljive odlike savremene viteške epike. Markov epski lik podseća na Rolana iz Pesme o Rolanu, na Ahila iz Romana o Tpoji, na samog Aleksandra Velikog iz Aleksandride, na Digenisa Akritu vizantijske epike. Marko se javlja kao vitez oslobodilac (oslobađa roblje, zarobljene prijatelje -vitezove, dame u nevolji), zatim kao vitez - carski vazal - "sluga". Poseduje konja i oružje dostojne viteza. Obilato jede i još obilnije pije, kako to već dolikuje srednjovekovnim idealima viteza, pravilima i zahtevima viteškog ponašanja. Ova epska viteška legenda o Kraljeviću Marku bila je najrazvijenija i najpopularnija u središnjim oblastima Markove države. Međutim, upravo na tome prostoru (krajnji jug Srbije, Makedonija, najzapadniji delovi Bugarske) izuzetno je bila živa mitološka tradicija.

Kraljević Marko, poznato ime viteške epike, poslednji zakoniti srpski vladar-naslednik države Nemanjića u "živim" pesmama o podvizima mitskih bogova - preuzima njihovu ulogu. U pesmama u kojima je zamenio staro balkanska božanstva, Marko se pojavljuje u ulogama sličnim onima koje ima u viteškoj legendi. Pažljivijim iščitavanjem pesama nesumnjiva razlika postaje uočljiva i očigledna. Pojavljuje se kao bog-konjanik-spasilac. Preuzima ulogu boga spasioca na belom konju, tračkog konjanika, potom i hrišćanskog svetitelja - ratnika, svetog Đorđa. Kada služi sultana, Marko nije više ni vitez koji dvori sizerena, niti pobeđeni ratnik koji ponizno sluša pobednika. Bog Marko služi po kazni izrečenoj od Bogova - goreg od sebe, smrtnika. Pre njega to su morali da čine i Apolon i Herakle (odnosno Herkul). Sultan, Markov gospodar, svestan je prirode (privremenosti i ograničenosti) vlastite nadmoći. On želi da ponižava boga koji mu služi, ali čim je suočen sa Markovim gnevom (kada je doteran "do duvara") - povlači se u strahu, nudeći mito. U svojstvu boga i sa atributima solarnog boga, Marko se bori protiv htoničnih božanstava ( na primer, protiv Muse Kesedžije sa "tri srca junačka"). Markov mitski pomagač jeste nebeska vila oblakinja; nikako ne htonična vila brodarica, niti vila jezerkinja. Da bi stigao u čudesne predele, u podzemni svet, bog-Marko potkiva Šarca srebrnim potkovicama. To je jedini način da se stupi u podzemlje. Iz istih razloga se u nas vekovima stavljao pored mrtvaca, ili mrtvacu u usta, komad srebrnog novca. Samo tako se mogao platiti prevoz preko srebrne reke, ili mostarina za prelaz i ulaz u svet mrtvih. Markovo oružje i Markov konj dobiveni su na natprirodan način i izuzetni su. Osnovno Markovo oružje jeste oružje boga gromovnika - buzdovan. Ono nalikuje Heraklovoj batini, čekiću boga Topa itd. Pesme o Marku mitološki obeležene drugačije osvetljavaju inače poznate viteške motive. Markovi postupci nisu uzrokovani željom viteza da se spere naneta uvreda, ispravi nepravda, niti da se zaštite slabi i nemoćni. Oni proishode iz srdžbe boga Marka (kao i Ahilove u Ilijadi, ili Zevsove nebrojeno puta) i zavisti boga-Marka (ubija nećaka koji je bolji junak od njega). Po ugledu na stare bogove plodnosti, Marko je i pijanica i kavgadžija.

Nije nimalo slučajno što Marko zamenjuje i smenjuje starog tračkog i antičkog konjanika. Još manje je slučajna Markova nametljiva sličnost sa Heraklom. Jedno od najvećih poznatih Heraklovih svetilišta Herakleja nalazi se na području Markove države.

---

Basically, the article speaks of similarities between Marko on the Thracian horseman. Historical Prince Marko is a completely different persona than the one in the legends, but here is the thing with those legends: they are a replica of a much older time, remains of a very ancient tradition.

Marko is a typical hero: physically powerful, eats and drinks a lot, protects and saves the weak and poor, he frees the slaves and prisoners, but he is a loyal servant to the Sultan. He fits the ideals of a medieval knight. But only partially.
    In the Christian era, with the lack of gods and mythical creatures, a real live person was adapted to play their role. He is the copy of the ancient horseman saviour. He serves the emperor/Sultan as a punishment from God/gods, like Hercules and Apollo before him. Basically, Marko is a god, or a son of god. The Sultan tries to humiliate this deity which serves him, but in the end is put back into place by Marko and is afraid for his life and offers a bribe.
    Marko is a solar deity and fights against chthonic figures (again, like Hercules), and his helpers are always the heavenly vilas, never earth or water ones.
    His horse has silver horseshoes so that he can ride into the underworld, a tradition preserved in the Balkans since ancient times when a silver coin was paid to the boatman to cross the river Styx into the realm of the dead. Today people place a silver coin in the coffin.
    Marko's weapon is a mace, like the one Hercules carried, a weapon of a heavenly deity, one that strikes thunders like the Mjolnir or Thor.
    But one thing that sets Marko from a stereotype of a knight, the motive for the deeds he does, is that they are not performed from desire to bring justice, to protect others because they need protection, but because of anger, out of spite, out of jealousy, like the heroes of the ancient world (Achilles for example).
    Marko is also a drunk and likes to fight and make love, an image of the ancient gods of fertility.

---

I recently returned a book back to the local library, which in future I'll undoubtedly borrow again, about Illyrians and Thracians, and there was a very detailed part about the Thracian horseman and Prince Marko, unfortunately I didn't read it whole and returned the book.
    अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
    उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
    This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
    But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Interesting.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• I of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

Just to add to the above;

In the 19th century a tale recorded by Kuzman Shapkarev in which King Marko kills a sea Lamia. This Lamia came from the sea to Solun with the intent to swallow the male child of King Marko and then go on to Marko’s towers. Erina the fairy, who was Marko’s sister, saw the lamia coming. But the lamia managed to swallow Marko’s child and Marko goes after it. He reaches the Lamia rips its heart apart and takes his child out….The same motif was in the folk song “The Black Plague Emerged” where Gotse Delchev was called to perform a similar feat….

King Marko is also in folk legends where he creates a large canyon which the sea flows out, thus creating a place for where people may live, which is reminiscent of the myth of Heracles, who created mountains and seas on earth.

Both king Marko and Heracles had enormous strength as babies…King Marko as a baby tore apart a snake with his bare hands while Heracles strangled two snakes….
      No need to sit in the shade, because we stand under our own sun

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

Sorry for the tangent.
        What is the etymology for the name "Kuzman"?
        Risto the Great

Comment

• Delodephius
          • Sep 2008

The ending -man points to some Germanic origin.

Comment

• osiris
            • Sep 2008

slovak man is a also a turkic ending.

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

One Turkish to English online translator suggests "kuz" is the root for "north".
              Perhaps it means "Northerner" ?
              Risto the Great

Comment

• Delodephius
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by osiris View Post
                slovak man is a also a turkic ending.
                Yeah, but not that much in personal names. Because there are people with a surname Kuzman in my village and their ancestors came from Germany. The actual name in German is Kussmann.

Comment

• osiris
                  • Sep 2008

fair enough, slovak, thanks for the information, it makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                  X