X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pelister
    • Sep 2008

Macedonians in the 1870's

The Russian Major, G. Markovich lead the volunteers arriving in Serbia during the 1876 uprising.

He provides a valuable description of this period with the figures and nationality of the volunteers who passed through his camp.

A total of 1,334 volunteers passed through his camp, he writes, comprised of 770 Bulgarians, 364 Serbs, 187 Macedonians and fifteen of other nationalities.

Source: Pandevski, M, "Macedonia and Macedonians in the Eastern Crisis" , p.52
  • Pelister
    • Sep 2008

The Memoirs of Risto "Makedonec", describes the details of Macedonian volunteer fighters in Serbia in 1876 in his memoirs.

"Soon I moved to Kladovo and formed my cheta there. It was composed of many young Macedonians. I used my own money to buy all that was necessary, but there were some among them who equipped themselves at their own expense."

Risto went "from a simple member of Karadzhata's cheta and Hadzhi Dimitar's cheta" to a leader of 200 men.

Source: Pandevski, M, "Macedonia and Macedonians in the Eastern Crisis", p.50

What this shows is that Macedonians had a very strong sense of who they were, and their willingness to fight is shown by the fact that many were prepared to buy their own guns, and stores, and join Macedonian revolutionary groups.

Comment

• Pelister
      • Sep 2008

October 1878

Peter Alabin, writing for the Slavic Benevolent Society in Bulgaria

Writing about the Serbian, Romanian and Macedonian volunteers fighting in Bulgaria ...

"... it became clear many of them did not have the means for the journey back. The Macedonians need help most, because they cannot return to their homes, their country still being occupied by the Turks. However, it is well known that the Macedonians were the best fighters in the companies and amazed even our own veteran soldiers by their bravery and courage in battle. I personally divided 894 francs between these Macedonians for their living expenses while they wait for a chance to return to their fatherland".

We can witness the fighting spirit of Macedonian volunteers right here. But what this sober account does is remind us that at that time contemporaries saw the Macedonians in their own light. Macedonia was not considered to be a part of Bulgaria, and the Macedonians were clearly distinguished fighters.

Direct quote taken from, Pandevski, M., "Macedonia and Macedonians in the Eastern Crisis", p.63
      Last edited by Pelister; 01-01-2009, 06:54 PM. Reason: add text

Comment

• Pelister
        • Sep 2008

Just wanted to ressurrect this topic. Perhaps the title should be changed to include Macedonians from the late 19th century.

Comment

Working...
        X