Macedonian Truth Forum   

Go Back   Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian Truth Forum > General Discussions

Old 09-29-2018, 03:39 AM   #181
maco2envy

maco2envy is on a distinguished road

Well, funny enough I received my ancestry dna results a week ago and I'm sort of baffled. There's no doubt that it's accurate since I made up a fake english name for myself and got an admixture I expected:

But the "DNA story" results are odd,

Don't worry I'm not a Arvanite lol. The radius of the circles correspond to the population density within those regions at the given time, rather than how much of a genetic mixture is shared:
https://www.ancestry.com/cs/dna-help...dots-and-lines
It's just weird that I have some sort of genetic connection to people in Morea and even Cretens. I've got a feeling that they must have larger sample sizes for these regions and smaller samples sizes for places like RoM which maybe creating some sort of bias. But I too have had some connection with southern Albanians, and I doubt they have large sample sizes. I dunno. Pretty weird stuff tbh.

and btw my Y-DNA haplogroup is also J2a.
maco2envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:11 AM   #182
Amphipolis

Amphipolis is on a distinguished road

Where do your known ancestors come from?
I'm expecting my results in 1-2 months (from a different company).
Amphipolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:14 AM   #183
maco2envy

My parents are from the Ohrid region
Old 09-29-2018, 04:31 AM   #184
Amphipolis

Amphipolis is on a distinguished road

That wasnít very detailed. Canít you go beyond that?

You know these locations are produced because your 5th-6th cousins (who are hundreds) inserted in the database their ancestorí birth locations.

So did I, but I canít go beyond 1850s or 1880s in some branches of my family. What I donít get (and suspect their tool is simply wrong) is how do they know these are locations of the COMMON ancestors you have with your cousins?
Amphipolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:47 AM   #185
maco2envy

Pretty sure my ancestors can be traced back to the same region from at least the 1800's. I'm not sure how it all works, I'll have to look into it. But I also have doubts.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:38 PM   #186
Carlin15

Carlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud of

maco2envy, interesting - you got almost the same results as I did including the same haplogroup (although I do not have any "Turkey and the Caucasus" subregion in my ethnicity breakdown).

Amphipolis, I agree with you. I have significant doubts about how the "locations" of the so-called Common Ancestors are produced on the timeline map and their accuracy - back in time. I just called last week their support line (Twice) to ask that question but I did not get a satisfactory answer. It was just mumbo jumbo to me, and I did not get a straight answer. I suspect that these "location" points/dots might also change/improve in the future as (if) more and more people do the ancestry dna test.

What I can tell you is that I did some searching in ancestry records and I found a person with the same surname as myself who was a native of the Peloponnese, and migrated to the USA in the mid-19th century (my great-grandfather and those before him - before WW1 - actually wrote the surname in this same exact way, as I saw it written in the record). To me this was the most significant/interesting find, although I also found some people with the same surname from various areas of Epirus/Albania, Macedonia and even Thessaly. (Maybe the timeline points/dots are not all that inaccurate ... ) .
Carlin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:10 PM   #187
julie

julie is on a distinguished road

#Macedonian referendum in Australia

The #Bojkotiram and #Boycott movement was a resounding success, both in Macedonia and abroad globally, with a global total of just 2785 diaspora who attended polling booths to vote for a name change for Macedonia

The Australian Macedonian diaspora numbered a total of 16 voters who attended the Embassies in Melbourne and Canberra to vote in the Referendum.

World Macedonian Congress Australia were present at both Embassies in civil peaceful protest acting as Independent observers on numbers who were attending to provide Macedonians a factual figure of how 500,000 Macedonians within Australia stood in regards to changing Macedonia’s name and identity.

The Embassies were attended in Melbourne by both Victorian state police and the Australian Federal police in Canberra who were called to remove the quiet peaceful protesters present.

SDMS news sites are reporting that Macedonia called the police to prosecute and arrest the civil protesters. They are also incorrectly stating that Macedonians have been imprisoned in Australia. This is incorrect and should be retracted and corrected by those news sites as defamatory against Australian Macedonians, and defamatory against Australian Rule of Law.

Australia is a true democracy, where the right to free speech and civil disobedience in the form of peaceful gatherings are legal. It is also legal to photograph and take videos outside of premises that have polling booths. These acts do not go against the Australian Constitution and the Macedonian SDMS government has zero powers to enact any Macedonian authority within Australia.

World Macedonian Congress Australia condemns in the strongest possible terms the defamatory and false allegations that there were any arrests, and calls on the SDMS news sites to correct these false reports. Police who attended were quite jovial with the protesters and saw no need to enact any such false arrests,
Old 09-30-2018, 01:34 AM   #188
macorules94

macorules94 is on a distinguished road

Well my results changed since the update slightly, no longer 8% Damascus

Dads side ancestors: Peshoshnitsa (Ammochori), Armenoro (Armenochori), Neokazi (Neochoraki), V'rbeni (Itea?) & Kastoria - Zivojno, & Germijan

Mums side: Kalimanci, Vinica, Delcevo, & Blagoevgrad
macorules94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:12 AM   #189
maco2envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by macorules94 View Post

Dads side ancestors: Peshoshnitsa (Ammochori), Armenoro (Armenochori), Neokazi (Neochoraki), V'rbeni (Itea?) & Kastoria - Zivojno, & Germijan

Mums side: Kalimanci, Vinica, Delcevo, & Blagoevgrad
Are these from "DNA story" or can you actually trace back your ancestors to these regions?
Old 09-30-2018, 02:43 AM   #190
macorules94

macorules94 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maco2envy View Post
Are these from "DNA story" or can you actually trace back your ancestors to these regions?
From what my grandparents have told me. As far as I and they know the families have always been in those areas for hundreds of years and have always known to be Macedonian
macorules94 is offline   Reply With Quote