Macedonian Truth Forum   

Go Back   Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian Truth Forum > General Discussions

Old 06-10-2019, 11:32 AM   #1
Niko777

Niko777 is on a distinguished road
Default Macedonian Orthodox Cemetery in Ford City, PA

Memorial to Macedonian Americans from 1919 in Ford City, PA

Macedonian Orthodox Cemetery est. October 18, 1925 in Ford City, PA

Many people from Bitolsko (Bareshani, Lavci), Ohridsko, Lerinsko, and Vodensko are buried here.

Some photos (too many to post):

Grave of Dello Ivanoff from Voden

Lazaroffs from Bareshani, Bitolsko

Mitze Nikoloff from Bizivo (spelling error?)

Naum Filipou from "Bitola of Macedonia" (rare that it is written entirely in Greek), Died 1915

Gligor Antonoff from Ohrid

Last edited by Niko777; 06-10-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Niko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #2
Risto the Great

Risto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond repute

So maybe Tito has lived forever and was in the USA at that time. That would explain it.

Great post.

"Holding my breath for the revolution."
Risto the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
Gocka

Gocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud of

The last guy from Ohrid was born 9 years before Tito was born.

So a 100 plus years ago, bombarded by anti Macedonian propaganda, people still knew who they were. 100 years later, with all the information you need at your fingertips and yet here we are.

I still can't come to grips with where we are and how we got here.
Gocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #4
Karposh

Karposh is on a distinguished road

These are the quiet Macedonians that completely destroy Greek and Bulgarian propaganda. I can't remember the name of the U.S. town/city but I recall reading about Eugene Borza being taken completely by surprise when one of his university students informed him that in the local cemetery there existed people who identified as Macedonians and have Macedonia as their place of birth on their tombstones even though they were buried in the late 1800's or early 1900's. This evidence, no doubt, shattered Borza's notion of the Macedonian identity being a modern invention by Tito and, I have a feeling, it was the catalyst for his future works on Ancient Macedonia where he no longer buys into Greek propaganda about the Greekness of the Ancient Macedonians (not that he ever did I suspect).
Karposh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #5
Chicho Makedonski

Chicho Makedonski is on a distinguished road

Just curious as to why the surnames of the people end with ‘off’ and not ‘ov’. I know ‘ov’ or ‘ev’ were more common and favoured than ‘ski’ before Macedonia was an offical state and country where the Macedonians were free, but what’s with the ‘off’?

I’m a young Macedonian and want to learn more about Macedonian history and I’ve hardly seen any Macedonians with ‘off’. Just curious as to why it’s common in America on the graves.
Chicho Makedonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #6
Liberator of Makedonija

Liberator of Makedonija is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicho Makedonski View Post
Just curious as to why the surnames of the people end with ‘off’ and not ‘ov’. I know ‘ov’ or ‘ev’ were more common and favoured than ‘ski’ before Macedonia was an offical state and country where the Macedonians were free, but what’s with the ‘off’?

I’m a young Macedonian and want to learn more about Macedonian history and I’ve hardly seen any Macedonians with ‘off’. Just curious as to why it’s common in America on the graves.
Back in the day the -ov suffix was usually transliterated into English as -off. It gradually fell out of use following WWII but I know it's still sometimes used in North America.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
Niko777

Niko777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karposh View Post
I can't remember the name of the U.S. town/city but I recall reading about Eugene Borza being taken completely by surprise when one of his university students informed him that in the local cemetery there existed people who identified as Macedonians and have Macedonia as their place of birth on their tombstones even though they were buried in the late 1800's or early 1900's.
Steelton, PA. This Macedonian community was mostly made up of Macedonians from Prilep. Here are some photos:

Nicholas Georgioff - MACEDONIAN - 1889-1912 from Pletvar, Prilepsko

Stoyon Petroff Died 1906 from MACEDONIA

Vasilika Nikolova Dimitrova 1891-1916 Prilep, Macedonia

Tsvetko Andonov from "Nebregovo, Macedonia" (1889 - 1927)

Mate Atanasoff and father Tode

Marko Hristov

Jordanoff Brothers

Menka and Yovan Kitanoff

Lenka Koneff

Tony Malegoff

George Minoff

Tony Naumpeff

Spiro Pedia

Last edited by Niko777; 06-11-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Niko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #8
Karposh

Karposh is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that Niko. Looks like not much has changed in 2,300 years. Judging by the wealth of evidence provided by Ancient Macedonian tombs, it seems the dying wish of an Ancient Macedonian soldier was to have his Macedonian ethnicity inscribed next to his name on his tombstone. In fact, it was actually quite common not to have the name of the soldier at all but simply Macedonian and the name of the soldier's birthplace. For example: Macedonian from Pella or Macedonian from Dion. And here we have Steelton in the U.S.A: Macedonian from Prilep. Not much has changed it seems.
Karposh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:33 PM   #9
Gocka

Gocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud of

OMG!

Am I the only one who noticed that a vast majority of those Macedonians shown in Niko's pictures died in their 20's and 30's, one was 19 I believe. Only one was in her 80's and her husband in his 60's. A couple were in their 50's and everyone else was under 40.

I know life expectancy has gone up considerably but it couldn't have been that bad for every community?
Gocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:05 PM   #10
Risto the Great

Risto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed that. We're living longer nowadays. No doubt about it.

"Holding my breath for the revolution."
Risto the Great is offline   Reply With Quote