• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphipolis
    Banned
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by GStojanov View Post
    AFIK the Greek theory is that the original Macedonians are from the highlands of Karakamen planina (Gramos) which is at least 100 km to the west. That may be very well so, but that mountain is rugged and can't support a large population.
    I don't know any such theory or understand what you're talking about.

Comment

• GStojanov
      • Mar 2010

In the middle of Pelagonia is located the Neolithic settlement of Vrbjanska Chuka (Willow Hill):

Веб сајтот е создаден со цел да понуди информации поврзани со археолошките истражувања на локалитетот Врбјанска Чука.

Here is also a book about the Neolithic time in Macedonia:

Proceedings of the conference that took place on December 23rd 2015 at the Archaeological museum of Macedonia, a gathering of Macedonian archaeologists who research the Neolithic and who have obtained significant results from the excavations. Given the fact that most of these results remain unpublished and the scientific meetings of archaeologists are not frequent, CPR took an initiative to organize the conference where discoveries from Neolithic sites and material culture from this period were presented. A dozen of Macedonian archaeologists spoke about the beginning and the end of the Neolithic, the new aspects of the Neolithic phases, field surveys and dating in Pelagonia and Raec, revision of sites in the region of Ohrid, application of proto-mathematics, excavations of settlements in the region of Ovce Pole and in the vicinity of Skopje, the stone, ceramic and bone tools, as well as about the continuity of Neolithic objects in the other Prehistoric periods.

Comment

• Stevce
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Momce Makedonce View Post
        It's a decent theory, and Mariovo is much closer to Pella than Gramos. You are right there are actually a couple of ancient Macedonian cities in Pelagonia, we all know about Hereklea but there is also Styberra in the Prilep region which I have been doing some reading on. Then there is the Macedonian tomb that was found in Bonce, also in Prilep region. There were cities that were located near the locations of modern day villages in Pelagonia that have never been discovered in the Bitola-Prilep area either.
        They have found a few more Macedonian tombs since Bonce.

Comment

• dave_petro
          • Jan 2020

Originally posted by Rogi View Post
          This is the first time I'm hearing of King Philip originating specifically from Mariovo.

My family, on my Mother's side originates from there and I know of a bunch of folk tales around an old city they refer to as "Tsarigrad" that is yet undiscovered, as well as stories of ancient stone walls being found (one such story in my own family when a horse fell through the ground when ploughing the field), and I know a few thousand ancient Macedonian coins have been discovered there (many of which are now held by the bank in Ohrid)... but no specific references that I know of to Philip.

Hey Rogi,

Im pretty sure Tsarigrad is Macedonian for Constantinople or another name for Constantinople.
          'Nothing is impossible to him who will try"

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

I would imagine the term is a relatively generic term referring to "King's City" and the one for King Philip could easily have preceded the newer one in present day Istanbul.
            Risto the Great
            MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
            "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Karposh
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by dave_petro View Post
              Hey Rogi,

Im pretty sure Tsarigrad is Macedonian for Constantinople or another name for Constantinople.
              Hi Dave. Risto is right, the term is mainly generic that refers to the capital of the Byzantine Empire - Tsari Grad i.e.the "Imperial City" or; city of the Byzantine Emperors (i.e. Tsars). There is a subtle difference in the Macedonian language between the term "Kral" (a King) and "Tsar" (an Emperor). A king has his Kingdom (Kralstvo) and an Emperor has an Empire (Tsarstvo). That's the way I've always understood it to be anyway.

Comment

• dave_petro
                • Jan 2020

Originally posted by Karposh View Post
                Hi Dave. Risto is right, the term is mainly generic that refers to the capital of the Byzantine Empire - Tsari Grad i.e.the "Imperial City" or; city of the Byzantine Emperors (i.e. Tsars). There is a subtle difference in the Macedonian language between the term "Kral" (a King) and "Tsar" (an Emperor). A king has his Kingdom (Kralstvo) and an Emperor has an Empire (Tsarstvo). That's the way I've always understood it to be anyway.

Yeah thats more or less what I meant haha. I think I was just a little lazy in my explanation
                'Nothing is impossible to him who will try"

Comment

Working...
                X