Macedonian Truth Forum   

Go Back   Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian History

Old 03-27-2020, 04:10 PM   #11
Carlin15

Carlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStojanov View Post
And I undid your edit. There is no reason to delete it unless you can prove that such legend does not exist.
Carlin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:47 PM   #12
tchaiku

tchaiku is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risto the Great View Post
I wonder if anybody has the hatred (and meaninglessness in their lives) to run around deleting Greek legends on Wikipedia.
Good one.

--
tchaiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:15 AM   #13
Momce Makedonce

Momce Makedonce has much to be proud ofMomce Makedonce has much to be proud ofMomce Makedonce has much to be proud ofMomce Makedonce has much to be proud ofMomce Makedonce has much to be proud ofMomce Makedonce has much to be proud ofMomce Makedonce has much to be proud ofMomce Makedonce has much to be proud ofMomce Makedonce has much to be proud of

Quote:
The place Peshta is between villages: Staravina and Gradeshnica. It is 30 km to the north west of Postol (the ancient Pella). So if Philip was born in the highlands in the vicinity of Pella, Mariovo is the closest highlands to Pella.

The name Peshta is also interesting. It comes from old IE root that means flat area where people assemble for trade and fun, like fairgrounds. Budapesht was created when the town Buda (which means fortress) was joined to the town Peshta.
I had a look on Google maps and can't help but think Postol/Pella looks more than 30km away from Peshta? Also as I zoom in there seems to be other mountains to the northwest of Pella including Mt Paiko not too far away and Mt Kajmakcalan on the modern day border.

Am I missing something? I typed in Pella on Google maps and pretty sure it's the right one as I can see on the map the archeological site. I have never visited there so just going off what I can see on Google maps.

But considering the proximity of Mariovo and the legend it could well be plausible.

Last edited by Momce Makedonce; 03-30-2020 at 08:17 AM.
Momce Makedonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #14
Amphipolis

Amphipolis is on a distinguished road

He probably meant 30km straight line. The distance, either in walking passages or through modern roads is about 170-180km.
Amphipolis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:08 PM   #15
GStojanov

GStojanov is on a distinguished road

You are correct. Pella is more like 50 km away according to google maps. I was looking at a map on wikipedia that is skewed. Plus the land route would have to go around Kaimakchalan, through Lerin and Ostrovo.

AFIK the Greek theory is that the original Macedonians are from the highlands of Karakamen planina (Gramos) which is at least 100 km to the west. That may be very well so, but that mountain is rugged and can't support a large population.

On the other hand Pellagonia is a highland plain (800m above sea level), so it is highlands compared to Pella (almost at sea level). It can support much bigger population because it is a fertile plain. Both Peshta and the birthplace of Philip's mother: Heraclea Linkesta are on the edges of the the southern Pellagonia, just 10 km apart.

Plus the name is strikingly similar (Pellagonia vs Pella). There are many finds on the outskirts of Pellagonia that go back to Ancient Macedonia and further back into the iron and bronze age.
GStojanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:31 AM   #16
Momce Makedonce

Momce Makedonce has much to be proud ofMomce Makedonce has much to be proud ofMomce Makedonce has much to be proud ofMomce Makedonce has much to be proud ofMomce Makedonce has much to be proud ofMomce Makedonce has much to be proud ofMomce Makedonce has much to be proud ofMomce Makedonce has much to be proud ofMomce Makedonce has much to be proud of

Quote:
You are correct. Pella is more like 50 km away according to google maps. I was looking at a map on wikipedia that is skewed. Plus the land route would have to go around Kaimakchalan, through Lerin and Ostrovo.

AFIK the Greek theory is that the original Macedonians are from the highlands of Karakamen planina (Gramos) which is at least 100 km to the west. That may be very well so, but that mountain is rugged and can't support a large population.

On the other hand Pellagonia is a highland plain (800m above sea level), so it is highlands compared to Pella (almost at sea level). It can support much bigger population because it is a fertile plain. Both Peshta and the birthplace of Philip's mother: Heraclea Linkesta are on the edges of the the southern Pellagonia, just 10 km apart.

Plus the name is strikingly similar (Pellagonia vs Pella). There are many finds on the outskirts of Pellagonia that go back to Ancient Macedonia and further back into the iron and bronze age.
It's a decent theory, and Mariovo is much closer to Pella than Gramos. You are right there are actually a couple of ancient Macedonian cities in Pelagonia, we all know about Hereklea but there is also Styberra in the Prilep region which I have been doing some reading on. Then there is the Macedonian tomb that was found in Bonce, also in Prilep region. There were cities that were located near the locations of modern day villages in Pelagonia that have never been discovered in the Bitola-Prilep area either.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:20 AM   #17
Amphipolis

Amphipolis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't know any such theory or understand what you're talking about.
Amphipolis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:33 AM   #18
GStojanov

GStojanov is on a distinguished road

In the middle of Pelagonia is located the Neolithic settlement of Vrbjanska Chuka (Willow Hill):

http://www.vrbjanska.cip-cpr.org/za-....html#lokacija

Here is also a book about the Neolithic time in Macedonia:

https://issuu.com/sonjcemarceva/docs...makedonija/162
GStojanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:56 PM   #19
Stevce

Stevce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momce Makedonce View Post
It's a decent theory, and Mariovo is much closer to Pella than Gramos. You are right there are actually a couple of ancient Macedonian cities in Pelagonia, we all know about Hereklea but there is also Styberra in the Prilep region which I have been doing some reading on. Then there is the Macedonian tomb that was found in Bonce, also in Prilep region. There were cities that were located near the locations of modern day villages in Pelagonia that have never been discovered in the Bitola-Prilep area either.
They have found a few more Macedonian tombs since Bonce.
Stevce is offline   Reply With Quote