Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

Vic its all good som knows what he is doing.He wants to give your league prominence.
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• vicsinad
      • May 2011

Please take some time to write this author if you can.

I wrote a letter to him to stop calling us Slavs. He refused. His name is Tony Barber. Here is his email and article:

[email protected]

Last edited by vicsinad; 05-14-2015, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• vicsinad
        • May 2011

The following was my letter to him that he responded to:

Dear Mr. Tony Barber:

I hope this message finds you well. In your article “Balkan Turmoil Raises Europe's Second Eastern Question”, you referred to ethnic Macedonians as Slavs. The League of Macedonian-Americans (LOMA) respectfully requests that you no longer refer to ethnic Macedonians as ethnic Slavs. The majority of Macedonian citizens, as well as hundreds of thousands of Macedonians worldwide, identify as ethnic Macedonians, and they have done so for centuries. We ask that you refer to the Macedonian people as they refer to themselves: Macedonians. It is unfair and biased to refer to one group as they refer to themselves and not refer to another group as they refer to themselves. You referred to Albanians as ethnic Albanians, but to Macedonians as Slavs. This is not unbiased reporting.

Further, the name “Slav” is inaccurate for the Macedonian people. As historians have demonstrated, the term “Slav” is neither a racial nor an ethnic identifier. Moreover, the Macedonians are identified as being their own ethnic group and as speaking the Macedonian language, as much of the world calls them Macedonians and refers to their language as Macedonian. We ask that you use these truths and apply equitable treatment to Macedonians in your comments on Macedonians.

Moreover, the term “Slav” is used as a discriminatory tool by some of Macedonia’s neighbors. Particularly, Greece refers to Macedonians as “Slavs” (among many other names) to deny that an ethnic Macedonian minority exists within its borders, even though several international human rights organizations have found that a substantial Macedonian minority lives in Greece, and even when Greece has recognized the ethnic Macedonian minority within their borders in the early 20th century. By continuing to use the term “Slav” to refer to the Macedonians’ ethnic identity, you are adopting Greece’s discriminatory, disrespectful and chauvinistic policy. In addition, it promotes the idea that people do not have the right to determine their own identity. We again call on you to desist from using the term “Slav” to describe the ethnic Macedonians and instead refer to Macedonians simply as Macedonians. If you need to make a clear ethnic distinction between the citizens of Macedonia, it would be appropriate to refer to Macedonians as ethnic Macedonians and Albanians as ethnic Albanians.

Thank you for your time and consideration of the comments in this letter.

Comment

• George S.
          • Aug 2009

He chooses to go down the sinkhole with the other historians.He just so readily ascribes to these other people's views.I think we should all write to him signalling our displeasure with his labelling.
          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• vicsinad
            • May 2011

Originally posted by George S. View Post
            He chooses to go down the sinkhole with the other historians.
            Agreed...hopefully he gets a few more letters.

Comment

• Amphipolis
              Banned
              • Aug 2014

If you are Americans an interesting, useful, yet difficult thing you should try is take a position (or even an action) on the latest growing opinion that USA is a major enemy, or (in the worst versions) a destabilization factor. You probably know what I mean; this is an indicative link of such ideas.

Developments in Macedonia have raised the alarm in Greece, reported Netpress' Athens correspondent. For the majority of the Greek public it is already certain that the attempted coup and destabilization by the SDSM in cooperation with foreign agencies is needed in order to overthrow the government and prevent the progress of

Comment

• George S.
                • Aug 2009

greece must be happy to see the destabilization of macedonia.Just when it was happy for macedonia to be under the serbs.No mention was made in that situation of the name as an issue or their being flag issue.So which side are the greeks now on the terrorists?Given the situation the macedonian govt has done the right thing.
                The terrorists have said in the past once they finish with their claim with macedonia,no matter what the fancy claim is greece as it belonged to them as it was according to the terrorists known as Chimmeria??.The terrorists will be claiming greece next.
                Last edited by George S.; 05-17-2015, 11:07 AM.
                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• vicsinad
                  • May 2011

Issue 4 is now available for viewing:

Comment

• makedonche
                    • Oct 2008

Vic
                    Well done, you'll have me reading and speaking Macedonian in no time!!!
                    On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• makedonche
                      • Oct 2008

Vic
                      Well done, you'll have me speaking Macedonian in no time!!!
                      On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

Infinitely accessible and probably something that should be reprinted by local communities in their newsletters. Such a fine job LOMA.
                        Risto the Great
                        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Gocka
                          • Dec 2012

Thanks man. I really like the way it turned out.

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                          Infinitely accessible and probably something that should be reprinted by local communities in their newsletters. Such a fine job LOMA.

Comment

• vicsinad
                            • May 2011

Thanks for the support, guys. We're working on hopefully getting it to catch on over the next few months. Hopefully we can keep up the momentum.

Comment

• Philosopher
                              • Sep 2008

Well done Vic.

Small correction. Should read "this letter" or "these letters".

Dear Gjovalin Shkurtaj:

I hope this letters finds you well. I am writing to you on behalf of the League of Macedonian-Americans (LOMA) regarding your recent troubling comments that were published in the opinion section of FoxNews.com regarding the current situation in Macedonia.
                              That attention to detail problem.

Just kidding Vic.

Keep up the good work.

As a side question, who is writing all these letters? Is it you Vic or do you have help?

Just curious.

Comment

• Gocka
                                • Dec 2012

Yea we all missed that one, lol.

Vic does the writing, I probably should have caught that error, shows how useful I am.

I'm going to be translating some of this stuff into Macedonian as soon as I find the time.

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
                                Well done Vic.

Small correction. Should read "this letter" or "these letters".

That attention to detail problem.

Just kidding Vic.

Keep up the good work.

As a side question, who is writing all these letters? Is it you Vic or do you have help?

Just curious.

Comment

Working...
                                X