Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vangelovski
    • Sep 2008

I think we're all jumping the gun here guys. There's still a chance we'll get really lucky and Zaev will come up with an extended composite name. My money's on Independent Democratic People's Republic of New Gornamakedonija (Skopje). Something like that will really roll off the tongue in all of these songs.
    If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
      I think we're all jumping the gun here guys. There's still a chance we'll get really lucky and Zaev will come up with an extended composite name. My money's on Independent Democratic People's Republic of New Gornamakedonija (Skopje). Something like that will really roll off the tongue in all of these songs.
      IDPRNGS ?, now that’s an acronym I’m on board with
      “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Vangelovski
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Tomche Makedonche View Post
        IDPRNGS ?, now that’s an acronym I’m on board with
        Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea (DPRK) eat your heart out.
        If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• vicsinad
          • May 2011

Read about the 9 best Macedonian stories from Missouri and Southern Illinois in the early 20th century. We put story number one hear, which is directly from an American newspaper in 1909. Read the other 8 stories by clicking the link to our website!

200 Macedonians and Bulgarians Fight Each Other in Factory
          (Taken from Alton Evening Telegraph, February 15, 1909)

Bulgarian Said Lincoln Greater Than Macedonian Brigand and Macedonians Attack Bulgarians!

Race animosity, fanned by the discussion of a chance remark in a saloon, precipitated a riot at the American Steel Foundry in Granite City Sunday morning, in which six men were injured more or less seriously and a score of others received broken noses and blackened eyes.
          Angered because a Bulgarian had declared Abraham Lincoln was a greater man than Boris Sarafoff, Macedonians employed at the plant attacked a group of Bulgarians.

Sarafoff was a sort of brigand who won international fame several years ago by kidnapping Miss Ellen M. Stone and exacting for her a ransom of $65,000. All of the money he spent in the cause of Macedonian liberty. [LOMA note: this is an error; it was Jane Sandanski who kidnapped Miss Stone.]

The strife at the factory Sunday was not ended until Anthony Jacovaski, leader of the Bulgarians, had fallen, probably mortally wounded. By the time the police of Granite City had reached the scene, the rioters had dispersed, and the trouble was hushed with characteristic repression of the Slavic-Greek races.

For several months there has been intense rivalry between the Macedonians and Bulgarians employed at the big factories in Granite City. An outbreak has been feared, but leaders of the foreign settlements have succeeded in preventing open strife. The outbreak yesterday resulted from a remark made by a Bulgarian Friday night, which Macedonians construed into a deliberate insult.

Because of the Lincoln centennial celebration, the foundries were closed Friday night, and many of the laborers spent the evening in neighboring saloons. The career of the American patriot was discussed by the foreigners, with comparisons to Sarafoff.

George Chenowski, a Bulgarian, sauntered up to a group of Macedonians who were discussing the matter. He listened to their conversation for some time. Then he shouted out in a loud voice:

“Lincoln was a great man, a patriot who did things. Your renegade Sarafoff was not. Sarafoff said he would free the slaves of Macedonia, but he did not.”

The Macedonians flamed into anger at the remark. It was a blow to their national hero, and a blow at their self-esteem. By the words “Macedonian slaves,” Chenowski was understood to mean the Macedonian people, who are tributary to the Turkish Empire.

Cooler heads prevented a fight in the saloon that night, but the “insult” was discussed widely. Bulgarians sided with their compatriot, while the Macedonians denounced him hotly.

Saturday night the men said but little as they toiled at the furnaces. But they nursed their wrath until it was as hot as the fires they fed. Macedonians spoke to nobody but their compatriots, while the Bulgarians were equally clannish.

When the whistle blew yesterday morning, the men marched out of the works, grouped under their leaders. Jacovaski, a sort of potentate among the Bulgarians, headed a crowd that was sneering and determined. A Macedonian whose name is not known headed others who were equally angry.

Before the two bands had left the works, trouble started. In a second the feud became a pitched battle. Stones were thrown, knives were drawn, men fought fist and skull. In three minutes, 200 men were struggling in a battle which but for the general of firearms would have been a fight to the death.

In a few moments, however, Jacovaski fell, crying to his friends that he had been killed. This stopped the fight.

The Bulgarians gathered around their fallen leader. They picked the man up and hurried him to his home in “Hungry Hollow.” The Macedonians collected their wounded and disappeared as quickly.

References
          Alton Evening Telegraph (Alton, Illinois) · Mon, Feb 15, 1909 · Page 3

Comment

• vicsinad
            • May 2011

LOMA went undercover at Greek protest in New York City on March 18 to record their chauvinism and discrimination. Here are two links. One is a compilation of the idiotic and hateful things they said and that were on their "posters", and the second is US Congresswoman Maloney's speech to the Greeks, stating she will introduce a resolution in US Congress today claiming that Macedonia was, is and always will be Greek.

LOMA members go undercover at Greek protest in New York City on March 18, 2018. What they saw and heard was a disgrace and an insult to ethnic Macedonians wo...

(Correction: Video says Mahoney, but it is Maloney)The League of Macedonian Americans went undercover at the Greek protest in New York City on Sunday, March ...

Comment

• vicsinad
              • May 2011

LOMA went to the protest organized in New York City by the Macedonian Human Rights Movement of New York and New Jersey. Here are two videos, one of the protest in general and one of my speech.

I also met a lot of dedicated Macedonians there and I am glad to see momentum picking up, even if it's in the Diaspora. There's much work to be done, but I'm optimistic.

Comment

• vicsinad
                • May 2011

Here is a link to our quarterly newsletter, Vol. 2, Iss. 2, released today:

Comment

• vicsinad
                  • May 2011

LOMA created a 60-page document that explains our purpose, what we view as problems facing the Macedonians, and highlights our platform and goals. As you'll read, we used the MTO's definition of the Macedonian Cause as a basis for our mission, and substantive discussions on this forum helped shape some of our views.

It can be downloaded for free in PDF form on our website: https://www.leagueofmacedonians.org/about_us

Or bought from Amazon for $6, with any profits going to help fund LOMA initiatives and operating costs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1720422826...8280266&sr=1-1

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Thank you for attributing the Cause as you presently defined it to the MTO Vic.

You're prolific. Keep it up, please.
                    Risto the Great
                    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• vicsinad
                      • May 2011

Thank you, Risto. We all have to play our part if we want to get somewhere.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by vicsinad View Post
                        LOMA created a 60-page document that explains our purpose, what we view as problems facing the Macedonians, and highlights our platform and goals. As you'll read, we used the MTO's definition of the Macedonian Cause as a basis for our mission, and substantive discussions on this forum helped shape some of our views.

It can be downloaded for free in PDF form on our website: https://www.leagueofmacedonians.org/about_us

Or bought from Amazon for $6, with any profits going to help fund LOMA initiatives and operating costs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1720422826...8280266&sr=1-1
                        60 pages? Can we get a summary in an infographic?

Sorry, I'm just being facetious. Its good you are keeping the torch alight.
                        Last edited by Vangelovski; 06-06-2018, 10:34 PM.

Comment

• vicsinad
                          • May 2011

Some people do learn better with visuals...not a bad idea!

Thanks, Vangelovski.

Comment

Working...
                          X