Macedonian Truth Forum   

Go Back   Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian History

Old 02-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #21
tchaiku

tchaiku is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphipolis View Post
You... do? It's good we have an expert in Linear A & B. Tell us more.

Now me, for instance, I didn't even know Linear A was deciphered in 1981 (I must have totally missed that).
I was talking about the replacement of the Mycenaean language with a new alphabet influenced by that of Phoenicians. Do you have any theory why did this happen?

Btw when was Linear A deciphered?

Last edited by tchaiku; 02-04-2018 at 02:31 PM.
tchaiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:42 PM   #22
Carlin15

Carlin15 is on a distinguished road

tchaiku,

- The official story is as follows: Linear A is one of two currently undeciphered writing systems used in ancient Greece (Cretan hieroglyphic is the other).
- In 2001, the journal Ugarit-Forschungen published the article "The First Inscription in Punic Vowel Differences in Linear A and B" by Jan Best (the same author I quoted above - he stated it was deciphered in 1981), claiming to demonstrate how and why Linear A notates an archaic form of Phoenician. This was a continuation of attempts by Cyrus Gordon in finding connections between Minoan and West Semitic languages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_A

Here is C. Gordon's Semitic Inscriptions From Greece.

Carlin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:40 PM   #23
Liberator of Makedonija

Liberator of Makedonija is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlin15 View Post
tchaiku,

- The official story is as follows: Linear A is one of two currently undeciphered writing systems used in ancient Greece (Cretan hieroglyphic is the other).
- In 2001, the journal Ugarit-Forschungen published the article "The First Inscription in Punic Vowel Differences in Linear A and B" by Jan Best (the same author I quoted above - he stated it was deciphered in 1981), claiming to demonstrate how and why Linear A notates an archaic form of Phoenician. This was a continuation of attempts by Cyrus Gordon in finding connections between Minoan and West Semitic languages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_A

Here is C. Gordon's Semitic Inscriptions From Greece.

Interesting, so in summary this author believes the language written in Linear A to be Semetic?
Old 02-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #24
Carlin15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
Interesting, so in summary this author believes the language written in Linear A to be Semetic?
Yes, Semitic.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:20 AM   #25
Liberator of Makedonija

Liberator of Makedonija is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlin15 View Post
Yes, Semitic.
There was strong Phonecian influence in the region so it's a likely possibility.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:13 AM   #26
Carlin15

The Problem of Semitic in Ancient Crete
Michael C. Astour
Journal of the American Oriental Society
Vol. 87, No. 3 (Jul. - Sep., 1967), pp. 290-295

URL:
https://www.jstor.org/stable/597722?...n_tab_contents

Did Gordon prove his point? In this reviewer's opinion, and with the author's own reservations about some of his "tentative suggestions," he certainly did. The systematic presentation of the Minoan-Eteocretan linguistic picture will be of very great interest to those acquainted with ancient Semitic languages and able to evaluate Gordon's findings on their proper ground. Hitherto, the scholars' general reluctance to agree with Gordon's earlier publications on this topic was caused not so much by linguistic criteria as by a certain almost inborn incredulity stemming from a deeply rooted set of preconceptions.

One of the frequently heard arguments is that Linear A is allegedly "undeciphered" and therefore no understanding of it is possible. Those who say so commit a fault of terminology (this is also true for Gordon's own use of the term "decipherment"). With Johannes Friedrich, a distinction must be made between "decipherment" (establishing the phonetic values of an unknown script) and "interpretation", i.e. establishing the semantic values of an unknown language written in a readable script.

Last edited by Carlin15; 02-09-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:52 PM   #27
Carlin15

The picture below comes from the book Ethnic Identity in Greek Antiquity, by Jonathan M. Hall.

URL:
https://books.google.ca/books/about/...AJ&redir_esc=y

Old 05-10-2018, 07:31 AM   #28
tchaiku

http://www.csun.edu/~hcfll004/mycen.html
Old 07-21-2018, 10:00 AM   #29
tchaiku

Homer mentions that during the time of the Trojan War, Miletus was an ally of Troy and was city of the Carians, under Naster and Amphimachus.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miletus
Old 07-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #30
Om3n

Om3n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
There was strong Phonecian influence in the region so it's a likely possibility.
Greece is called "Yunan" in Hebrew and Arabic, i.e. "Javan" or "Jonah" as it is commonly translated. This is because in the Hebrew anthropology, Javan, the grandson of Noah, and his sons were believed to have settled on "the islands", that is, Cyprus, Crete and Greece proper.
Om3n is offline   Reply With Quote