• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prolet
    • Sep 2009

'Beast of a storm', record floods hit Australia

Sunday, 07 March 2010

Melbourne was bracing for more bad weather Sunday after a "beast of a storm" ripped through Australia's second largest city, bringing with it hailstones the size of tennis balls.

The mini-cyclone which smashed into the regional capital with winds of up to 100 kilometres (62 miles) an hour was an event which had likely not been seen since early last century, Bureau of Meteorology forecaster Kevin Parkyn said.

"The weather system that brought the damage to Melbourne is known in meteorological terms as a supercell thunderstorm, an organised beast of a storm that once it gets going tends to last more than your average thunderstorm," he said.

The fierce storm, which flooded city streets, saw some 26 millimetres (one inch) of rain fall on Melbourne within an hour Saturday while other areas recorded up to 70 millimetres.

In the city centre the National Gallery of Victoria suffered flooding, while the Docklands Stadium was among those buildings damaged during the storm, which washed out horse races.

Bureau of Meteorology forecaster Wasyl Drosdowsky said the hail that hit in one suburban area was up to 10 centimetres (four inches) in diameter.

"(It was) tennis ball size roughly," he said. "As far as we can tell, that's close to the biggest hail we've seen in Melbourne."

More than 4,000 people contacted emergency services for help as the hail left the city blanketed in what looked like snow.

With more violent storms on the way late Sunday and Monday, Victorian Premier John Brumby urged people to be careful, particularity in areas hit by bushfires a year ago which have unstable trees weakened by the flames.

"There have been no reported fatalities or serious injuries. For that we are grateful," he said.

"People really should take great care... and make sure we put this focus on protecting life and protecting public safety because all the advice is that it will be a pretty difficult period."

As the city readied for further violent storms Sunday and Monday, once-in-a-century floods were peaking in the state of Queensland in the country's northeast, parts of which have been in drought for almost a decade.

Townships in the state's cotton-growing south were cut off by rising flood waters and in St George the Balonne River reached 13.5 metres (44 feet), its highest level since records began in 1890.

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh said the cost of the flooding would be in the hundreds of millions of dollars, as there had been major damage to highways and rail lines had been washed away.

"This is a massive water event which has smashed all the records known here in the southwest," she told reporters Sunday as she toured St George.

"All this water ultimately is going to mean great things for local (farmers) but there is a lot of pain to be felt in these communities before we can see total recovery."

In the nearby tiny town of Nindigully, residents were marvelling at the amount of water surrounding the rural outpost.

"Overall, we are happy to have experienced this flood because of the beauty of vast expanses of water through the bush that you never forget," Steve Burns, the owner of the 146-year-old Nindigully Pub told AAP.

МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.
  • Bill77
    • Oct 2009

The most devastated area was sydney around about 7pm, when Hurricane Archie Thompson blew away Sydney FC after hitting the back of the net to send Melbourne to the Grand Final.

"GO VICTORY"

Last edited by Bill77; 03-07-2010, 09:10 PM.
    http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• sf.
      • Jan 2010

Haha, "Hurricane Archie," I love it. From the 65th minute, Sydney didn't know what hit them. Anyone planning on going to the GF?
      Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Comment

• Prolet
        • Sep 2009

Bill, What about Robbie Kruse's wonder strike? Kruse and Thompson were out injured, no Nick Mrdja they just seem to find a way to get through.

YouTube - Sydney FC V Melbourne Victory Second Leg, Major Semi Final 7-Mar-2010 Highlights
        МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Bill77
          • Oct 2009

world class goal mate. I loved it. But still think Hernandez screamer is the Goal of the season.

Comment

• Bill77
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by sf. View Post
            Haha, "Hurricane Archie," I love it. From the 65th minute, Sydney didn't know what hit them. Anyone planning on going to the GF?
            Yes if i can get tickets. I would not like my chances though if Sydney qualify.

Comment

• Prolet
              • Sep 2009

55,000 tickets available, it should be good enough.

Comment

• sydney
                • Sep 2008

sydney will make the GF and do a victory lap in your faces.
                bring on melbourne heart.

Comment

• Prolet
                  • Sep 2009

Sydney, Who is going to stop Archie Thompson?

Steve Corica is out so there goes your best player, he is also the playmaker some tough shoes to fill. You warry about beating the Wellington Phoenix this week, they are on a roll at the moment.

Comment

• Bij
                    • Oct 2009

that was by far the most boring soccer game i've seen. sydney only started playing in the last 6 minutes of extra time.

should have gone down to rockdale ilinden and watch them play instead. would have been better.

Comment

• Prolet
                      • Sep 2009

Robbie Kruse's wonder strike was the highlight of the game, its one of the best ever goals in the A-League. I tend to agree with Bill that the one that Carlos Hernandez scored against the Gold Coast was better, it was a ripper of a goal i'll try to find it.

Here it is alright, he makes the other quality goals look ordinary

YouTube - Carlos Hernandez Amazing Goal vs Gold Coast United

Comment

• sydney
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Bij View Post
                        should have gone down to rockdale ilinden and watch them play instead. would have been better.
                        almost 1600 turned up for the derby. and i'm sure there would have been some tall, good looking bad boys to pick from.

Comment

• Phoenix
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by sydney View Post
                          almost 1600 turned up for the derby. and i'm sure there would have been some tall, good looking bad boys to pick from.
                          I'm not sure what Bij is on about with her tall, bad ass boys...there's a zlatno dete like Prolet here and she's chasing the tarnished variety...

Comment

• Prolet
                            • Sep 2009

Hahahahahaha

Mate she'll walk all over me with the monster Shtikli.

As for the Zlatno Dete LOL

I'll never hear the end of it from you.

Comment

• Bij
                              • Oct 2009

sydney - i've checked out the sydney variety of Macedonian men. I am yet to meet one that can hold a conversation with anything other than my tits. Still looking though?

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                              I'm not sure what Bij is on about with her tall, bad ass boys...there's a zlatno dete like Prolet here and she's chasing the tarnished variety...
                              phoenix, why aren't you offering yourself up for the kill?

Comment

Working...
                              X