Macedonian Truth Forum   

Go Back   Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian Truth Forum > General Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #1
Liberator of Makedonija
Senior Member
 
Liberator of Makedonija's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,161
Liberator of Makedonija is on a distinguished road
Default Macedonia, Macedonians & Religion

Continued from here: http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum...390#post179390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karposh View Post
Unbelievable. When a similar proposal for the construction of an Orthodox Church went ahead not so long ago, all hell broke loose. Not only were there protests from Muslim Albanians but from Macedonians as well. And here we are, half way into the completion of this monstrosity (that celebrates not only foreign traditions, customs and ideas, alien to Macedonia, but also symbolically glorifies a religion that enslaved Macedonia for over five centuries) and not a whimper can be heard from anyone. Deafening silence once again.

https://balkaninsight.com/2012/05/14...church-begins/
Under that same mentality, isn't Christianity also foreign to Macedonia? Given that it was introduced to the region. Weren't we enslaved by Christians through the Byzantine Emperors as well?
__________________
I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.
Liberator of Makedonija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #2
nushevski77
Member
 
nushevski77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 189
nushevski77 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
Under that same mentality, isn't Christianity also foreign to Macedonia? Given that it was introduced to the region. Weren't we enslaved by Christians through the Byzantine Emperors as well?
It's a double standard but one that I'm okay with, if I was living there I would feel uncomfortable with a "mega" mosque in my city centre; what good does it do besides paint an image of that is popular for euro Atlantic relations? I don't think this is good for Macedonians when there nation is doing more for its minority then for them, but they've done it to themselves. I guess I'll take Skopje off my list of places to visit when I go and just stick to Bitola and Ohrid.
__________________
Born in the diaspora with roots from Aegean.
nushevski77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:08 PM   #3
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator
 
Soldier of Macedon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Macedonian Outpost
Posts: 12,998
Soldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
Under that same mentality, isn't Christianity also foreign to Macedonia? Given that it was introduced to the region. Weren't we enslaved by Christians through the Byzantine Emperors as well?
Macedonia was occupied by the Roman Empire a couple of centuries prior to the introduction of Christianity during the time of Saint Paul. Christianity didn't become the official religion of the Roman Empire until the 4th century AD. By that time, Macedonians had been living under Roman law for quite some time. So it's incorrect to suggest that Macedonia was "enslaved by Christians" during the period in question unless you're referring to control of Macedonia and other Balkan regions passing hands from one Christian empire or kingdom to another. Further, Christianity has, over a period of 2,000 years, been an increasingly integral part of the fabric of Macedonian culture. Islam, which indeed was the religion of people who enslaved us and is a belief system which specifically designates Christians (and non-Muslims in general) as second class, is incomparable. It was this belief system which, in their minds, justified their treatment of us as slaves. The construction of religious buildings that often tend to symbolize a horrific past in Macedonia needs to be more tightly governed and occur only where appropriate.
__________________
In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a full blooded Macedonian.
Soldier of Macedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:05 AM   #4
Karposh
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 582
Karposh is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
Under that same mentality, isn't Christianity also foreign to Macedonia? Given that it was introduced to the region. Weren't we enslaved by Christians through the Byzantine Emperors as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
Macedonia was occupied by the Roman Empire a couple of centuries prior to the introduction of Christianity during the time of Saint Paul. Christianity didn't become the official religion of the Roman Empire until the 4th century AD. By that time, Macedonians had been living under Roman law for quite some time. So it's incorrect to suggest that Macedonia was "enslaved by Christians" during the period in question unless you're referring to control of Macedonia and other Balkan regions passing hands from one Christian empire or kingdom to another. Further, Christianity has, over a period of 2,000 years, been an increasingly integral part of the fabric of Macedonian culture. Islam, which indeed was the religion of people who enslaved us and is a belief system which specifically designates Christians (and non-Muslims in general) as second class, is incomparable. It was this belief system which, in their minds, justified their treatment of us as slaves. The construction of religious buildings that often tend to symbolize a horrific past in Macedonia needs to be more tightly governed and occur only where appropriate.
Thank you SoM. I just don't have the energy or the time to get into it with LoM but he is entitled to his opinion I suppose if that's how he wants to view the world. I'm pretty sure LoM has made a similar remark on a different thread but essentially regarding the same issue. You explained it perfectly to him then why Orthodoxy is a part of our identity and culture and Islam is not and he still persists as though the two faiths entered Macedonia and influenced the people in exactly the same way. They did not. Tradition holds that St.Paul was invited into Macedonia to spread Christianity among the people by way of a dream which was inspired by God.

From Acts 16:9-15,
Quote:
That night Paul had a dream: A Macedonian stood on the far shore and called across the sea, “Come over to Macedonia and help us!” The dream gave Paul his map. We went to work at once getting things ready to cross over to Macedonia. All the pieces had come together. We knew now for sure that God had called us to preach the good news to the Europeans.
Macedonia was the first country on European soil where Christianity took root.
Karposh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
Liberator of Makedonija
Senior Member
 
Liberator of Makedonija's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,161
Liberator of Makedonija is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karposh View Post
Thank you SoM. I just don't have the energy or the time to get into it with LoM but he is entitled to his opinion I suppose if that's how he wants to view the world. I'm pretty sure LoM has made a similar remark on a different thread but essentially regarding the same issue. You explained it perfectly to him then why Orthodoxy is a part of our identity and culture and Islam is not and he still persists as though the two faiths entered Macedonia and influenced the people in exactly the same way. They did not. Tradition holds that St.Paul was invited into Macedonia to spread Christianity among the people by way of a dream which was inspired by God.
I stay true to the ideology of the Macedonian revolutionaries, a secular Macedonia. These petty religious divides and arguments over who's god is better are so ridiculous. I really resent the argument that "Orthodoxy is a part of our culture", I along with many Macedonians am not a Orthodox Christian and that does not make me any less Macedonian.
__________________
I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.
Liberator of Makedonija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #6
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator
 
Soldier of Macedon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Macedonian Outpost
Posts: 12,998
Soldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
I stay true to the ideology of the Macedonian revolutionaries, a secular Macedonia. These petty religious divides and arguments over who's god is better are so ridiculous.
The Macedonian revolutionaries gave an oath to liberate Macedonia, often that included kissing a dagger and revolver above a Christian Bible. They may have espoused some secular ideals, but the overwhelming majority of them were Christians. As for the topic of religious differences, if it doesn't interest you then don't concern yourself with it.
Quote:
I really resent the argument that "Orthodoxy is a part of our culture", I along with many Macedonians am not a Orthodox Christian and that does not make me any less Macedonian.
You can resent it as much as you like, that still doesn't change the fact that Christianity, and for the most part Orthodox Christianity, is an important part of Macedonian culture. Macedonians today who aren't Orthodox Christians aren't any less Macedonian than those that are. But all of our Macedonian ancestors were Orthodox Christians for several centuries. So before you dismiss it completely due to your own bias or uninformed view, spare a thought for the many generations that came before us and developed that culture over the previous 2,000 years.
__________________
In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a full blooded Macedonian.
Soldier of Macedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #7
Niko777
Senior Member
 
Niko777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,881
Niko777 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
I stay true to the ideology of the Macedonian revolutionaries, a secular Macedonia.
Those same revolutionaries had crosses on their flags, flag poles, caps, etc.
Niko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #8
Gocka
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ohrid
Posts: 2,171
Gocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
I stay true to the ideology of the Macedonian revolutionaries, a secular Macedonia. These petty religious divides and arguments over who's god is better are so ridiculous. I really resent the argument that "Orthodoxy is a part of our culture", I along with many Macedonians am not a Orthodox Christian and that does not make me any less Macedonian.
You don't have to take that as a dilution of your Macedonian identity. Being an Orthodox Christian is not required in order to be a Macedonian, but as others have said, the Orthodox faith is interwoven with the Macedonian identity and the struggle for it. When I say interwoven I don't even mean the religious elements of it, but the cultural elements. Most Macedonians aren't very religious anyway, its more of a mark of our struggle to maintain the Orthodox faith in the face of Ottoman occupation.

Aren't many other ethnic groups also heavily shaped and influenced by a religion?
Gocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:51 PM   #9
Liberator of Makedonija
Senior Member
 
Liberator of Makedonija's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,161
Liberator of Makedonija is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocka View Post
You don't have to take that as a dilution of your Macedonian identity. Being an Orthodox Christian is not required in order to be a Macedonian, but as others have said, the Orthodox faith is interwoven with the Macedonian identity and the struggle for it. When I say interwoven I don't even mean the religious elements of it, but the cultural elements. Most Macedonians aren't very religious anyway, its more of a mark of our struggle to maintain the Orthodox faith in the face of Ottoman occupation.

Aren't many other ethnic groups also heavily shaped and influenced by a religion?
I and many have been viewed as "less-Macedonian" by many of our fellow Macedonians because of this though. I acknowledge the high position Eastern Orthodox Christianity has held in Macedonia for the past millenia but there were religions in Macedonia before Christianity and there have been new ones introduced since then and the pettiness of these disputes concerning "foreign" and "indigenous" religions baffles me.
__________________
I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.
Liberator of Makedonija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:22 PM   #10
Gocka
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ohrid
Posts: 2,171
Gocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
the pettiness of these disputes concerning "foreign" and "indigenous" religions baffles me.
On the face of it its easy to classify it as such and move on, but in a much broader context its not petty.

We have to start off with the fact that Europe as a continent has been shaped and defined by Christianity for almost 1500 years. So any religion other than Christian is somewhat foreign. Apart from the middle east in terms of the oldest, the oldest and largest populations of Christians are in Europe. Apart from the last 50 to 75 year it was still largely defined through Christianity.

So right from the start a religion like Islam has to be seen as foreign to the continent, especially given how different the religion and cultures who practice it are from those found in Europe. For Macedonia it is an even more foreign concept given how they were enslaved and tortured by the Ottoman Muslim empire for 500 years. Macedonia was arguably the first Christian population in Europe. Macedonia had hundreds of churches that were several hundred years old by the time the Ottomans showed up and converted most of them to Mosques.

The Macedonian identity during that time hinged upon the Orthodox faith because nationalism wasn't a thing yet. The Ottomans and others grouped people by faith. Jews, Muslims, Christians. Later on labels like Bulgarians and Greeks substituted Christians from villages and Christians from cities. Not only were Macedonians defined by their religion but so were others of the region.

If you were not Orthodox Christian, the odds are you did not consider yourself Macedonian and neither did the people around you. This is just a simple historical fact.

Yes 1700 years ago Macedonians were not Christians but for the most part our culture and identity today is shaped by the Ottoman period, a period in which our religious affiliation was more important than ever.

In terms of foreign vs native, that's playing with semantics in my book. Saying things live native and foreign sound naughty without context. Flip that around and ask instead historically how many Macedonians were Muslim, catholic or, Jewish? The few that were either adopted those religions in exchange for their Orthodox faith, or they were people who came from outside Macedonia and adopted the identity. Does that make them foreign? Who cares, its not that important.

This is all from a person that is not religious at all anyway, but we can't rewrite history, it is what it is and I hope that doesn't discourage you as identifying as Macedonian.
Gocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump