Was the Macedonian name taboo in Greece prior to the 1980s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tchaiku
    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
    Where have you gotten this info from? The Greek language was never used adminstratively in the Roman Empire. The Romaic language was but not Modern Greek.
    Romaic and Modern Greek are the same language.

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

I wouldn't say the same, but I wouldn't say they are worlds apart either.
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Liberator of Makedonija
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by tchaiku View Post
        Romaic and Modern Greek are the same language.
        No....no they are not. Again though, not relevant to this thread. Should bring this up on another one or start a new one.
        I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Alexander the Great FC founded in Solun 1923

I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Bill77
            • Oct 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megas_...s_Thessaloniki
            Its possible it was established in 1923
            But unfortunately there are no references attached and the only thing i can confirm is, that this page was written by User:Greco22.
            So i would take that wiki page with a grain of salt.

By the way, my thoughts on reason why a club with such name was formed at the time (if it occurred) still stands. The period of 1923 coincides with Venizelos speech where Macedonia had to become not only politicly Greek but also ethnically Greek.
            Macedonia hosts Moldova in a friendly later today, in a warm-up to WC qualifiers which will be resuming soon. http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/match?id=261114&cc=5901&league=FIFA.FRIENDLY I dont know much about your countries team, but Moldova is in Greeces group for the 4th year in a row, and I can assure you they
            Last edited by Bill77; 04-25-2018, 06:55 AM.
            http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Apr 2014

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
              But unfortunately there are no references attached and the only thing i can confirm is, that this page was written by User:Greco22.

By the way, my thoughts on reason why a club with such name was formed at the time (if it occurred) still stands. The period of 1923 coincides with Venizelos speech where Macedonia had to become not only politicly Greek but also ethnically Greek.
              http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum...postcount=1551

Yeah a lot of these pages have little to no references and many that do are all Greek references, which makes sense but also makes it hard to fully believe.

Do you think the policy Venizelos pursued was changed after him? It seems Greece went from singing Macedonia from the hills to covering its name up and keeping it hush, at least from an official stand point.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                Banned
                • Aug 2014

http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum...postcount=1551
                Megas Alexandros of Thessaloniki is a historical, yet not important team in any sport, coming from the center of the city.

Comment

• Bill77
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                  Megas Alexandros of Thessaloniki is a historical, yet not important team in any sport, coming from the center of the city.
                  I know its currently some sort of an organisation, judging by some modern photos on its facebook page. How far back in history does this organisation go? possibly 1923, i can't dispute it with any confidance, but i also can't accept it as fact with minimal to none reliable unbiased source available.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2014

I know its currently some sort of an organisation, judging by some modern photos on its facebook page. How far back in history does this organisation go? possibly 1923, i can't dispute it with any confidance, but i also can't accept it as fact with minimal to none reliable unbiased source available.
                    Megas Alexandros was founded in 1923 and by the 1930s the football team was playing in the First Category (yet this is the primitive era of Greek football).

Coincidentally, at the same year (1923) another Megas Alexandros football team is founded in Florina and lasted one decade until united with other teams in a new one called Hellas.

A modern team in Florina reappeared at some point under the name Megas Alexandros and they actually use the 1923 logo.

Both teams (and most teams out there) are athletic-gymnastic clubs (active in several sports), sometimes (as in the case of Florina) also cultural clubs.

Comment

• Bill77
                      • Oct 2009

Do you think the policy Venizelos pursued was changed after him?
                      No.

Only the severity of this policy would have fluctuated. Under Metaxas regime it was worse. I once posted a source somewhere on this forum where he went as far and silly as to banning the gajda. It wasn't Greek enough for him i supose.

Throughout its history since Venizelos (and prior), Macedonia had to become ethnically Greek. It will remain my opinion untill someone can convince me otherwise.
                      Last edited by Bill77; 04-25-2018, 11:57 PM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megas_...s_Thessaloniki
                        And stiff shit here Liberator of Makedonija. Did you prove the Greekness of Macedonia? What is this huge revelation about? How do you feel this provides a balance or check against the rampant accusations of the rabid Macedonian nationalists?

What a bullshit line of inquiry and I think as a Macedonian, you'd make a great Greek.

The minute I steal something of yours, I will make it my business to claim it. How difficult is that to comprehend? Need any more information about this approach? How hard is it?

If you can't beat Macedonians, be Macedonians .... this is Greece since the beginning of last century.
                        Risto the Great

Comment

• Apr 2014

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                          And stiff shit here Liberator of Makedonija. Did you prove the Greekness of Macedonia? What is this huge revelation about? How do you feel this provides a balance or check against the rampant accusations of the rabid Macedonian nationalists?

What a bullshit line of inquiry and I think as a Macedonian, you'd make a great Greek.

The minute I steal something of yours, I will make it my business to claim it. How difficult is that to comprehend? Need any more information about this approach? How hard is it?

If you can't beat Macedonians, be Macedonians .... this is Greece since the beginning of last century.
                          You seem to have an issue with me for whatever reason, not sure how as to my knowledge we have no idea who eachother are. I think maybe you should keep off this thread if you're unable to keep a cool-head and analyse the information being provided here. The purpose of this thread is to investigate just how taboo the Macedonian name was in Greece and that requires us to provide Greek sources attesting to our name, if you can't handle that then please just refrain from contributing.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

Macedonia was never taboo. Being called Macedonian was and is taboo. How do you think you're helping to clarify anything?
                            Risto the Great

Comment

• Apr 2014

@Bill 77

Apparently Heidelberg was formed by migrants from Lerin from within their social club based in Clifton Hill, which was formed in 1955.

Comment

• Bill77
                                • Oct 2009

@Bill 77

Apparently Heidelberg was formed by migrants from Lerin from within their social club based in Clifton Hill, which was formed in 1955.

http://dailyfootballshow.com/from-al...t-on-60-years/
                                I dont understand your point and persistence.

I expected you to get the drift by now, of the importance everything Macedonian had to become ethnically Greek. Any traces of Macedonian culture, Historical figures, language, etc.... that could not possibly be concocted to be ethnically Greek, its history would have been a contaminant to their devise, therefore, needed to be purified.

Alexander would have been a massive sticking point for these plans, as he was one of the most known (possibly after Jesus Christ) historical figures around the world, and known for being the King Of Macedonia. Nothing could ever be done to totally eliminate this, so next best thing was to embrace him, and artifice that he was Greek. Those historical figures that could not be totally removed or possibly be concocted to be Greek, were to be manipulated into being another ethnicity ie: Delcev beeing Bulgarian (though some Greeks did try making him Greek also)

Hence the formation of this club in Solun "Megalos Alexandros" 1923 the year after Venizelos stated in 1922 Macedonia not only politically but also ethnically Greek as well. What we then have, are these adoptees of this policy migrating to Australia in the 50's and continuing with "Megas Alexandros, Fitzroy United Alexander etc"

Thats my take on it anyway.

Now im looking forward to your next "But Heidelberg Alexander ...."
                                post...... Well not really looking fwd to it, but expecting it anyway
                                Last edited by Bill77; 04-27-2018, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X