Macedonian Truth Forum   

Go Back   Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian History

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2014, 11:32 PM   #231
spitfire
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 868
spitfire is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosopher View Post
But “Vasileos” means king, because it means “king” in Greek, even though the whole point of this discussion was strictly etymological, and even though this word in Greek has no etymological meaning. But random words like “va” and “sil”, which are not random at all, since that is the name, both have individual meaning, this amounts to nothing. Your argument is that Vasil does not mean “in power” simply because this name is used as a name only and not as a title for a prime minster, even though virtually all Macedonian names follow the same pattern.

I rest my case.
Not yet philosopher. My turn now.

Where did I say That Vasil means king because it means King in Greek? That's twisting of what I have said.
I said that Vasil comes from Vasileios because linearity tells us so and Vasileios means King in Greek, and that it is used in other meanings.

You are twisting again by saying that macedonian names are not used otherwise, as if Greek names do. Georgos is not a name philosopher, Giorgos is a name or Georgios. It derives from Georgos sure but the name is Giorgos.

Despite my efforts of trying to establish from you Vasil used in other cases, which means that you should have provided me with a closely resembling word, you couldn't provide me with such. This is why Vasil can't be explained as Va and Sil. It's because it doesn't follow linguistic rules. You want to create new rules of yours? Fine, but don't expect me to follow.

And you say you found macedonian words in Vasil??? I found greek words in Napoleon, gee that must be greek!!! The proportions of such untenable notion is simply undescribable!!! Whatever the case, synchronic (static) or diachronic (evolutionary) you fail it. Now get rid of your assumptions and follow linguistic rules.

Who's incosistent now? You refuse to accept linguistic tactics in order to establish meanings and you call me inconsistent?

Last edited by spitfire; 09-30-2014 at 03:02 AM.
spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:18 AM   #232
Nikolaj
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 388
Nikolaj is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
Vasil has nothing to do with Va Sil and that's a fact from a linguistic point of view. You can try and attack me with whatever you want but you will not prove the meaning of what we are discussing.
You are denying something which is extremely consistent and viable. If not specifically for Vasill, for many other words.

If that does not meet the requirements of etymological principles, clearly those principles need to be re-worked.

I would like to emphasize that languages break down words differently, that fact that Greek words break down in a certain way, does not imply every other language would break down their words the same way.
Which is also extremely rational and logical, as far as I'm aware, there wasn't an international meeting on word creation in 10,000BC where they made a universal standard..

Edit:

Here's a book specifically called "Principles of Greek etymology"
https://archive.org/stream/principle...tgoog_djvu.txt

It is called Greek etymology for a reason, it is not called "Principles of Macedonian etymology" or "Principles of OCS etymology" for a reason.
For the same reason principles aren't consistent with other languages, applying Greek etymology to another language is simply stupid.
This thread is not basing it off Greek etymology, which is what you are failing to understand - and making a mockery of yourself by not doing so.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 09-30-2014 at 03:31 AM.
Nikolaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:37 AM   #233
spitfire
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 868
spitfire is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
You are denying something which is extremely consistent and viable.
Says who? You? Well the moment you can't establish it synchronically or diachronically you are denying linguistics.

It's as simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
If that does not meet the requirements of etymological principles, clearly those principles need to be re-worked.
Absolutely. Let's call popeye to fix the matter.
spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:21 AM   #234
Nikolaj
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 388
Nikolaj is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
Says who? You? Well the moment you can't establish it synchronically or diachronically you are denying linguistics.

It's as simple as that.
Holy crap......

The fact you don't understand what we're telling you, makes me doubt you had a single ounce of intelligence.
Like you said in the past, no knowledge is better than lack of knowledge.
Maybe instead I should write, no discussion is necessary if you are discussing it with a person in denial of the obvious.

Etymological principles differ between languages.

Maybe increasing the size will help you comprehend that sentence.

Quote:
Absolutely. Let's call popeye to fix the matter.
This is an ignorant statement, the world always wants to propel in knowledge, you are opposing that ideology to support your false agenda.
Nikolaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #235
Amphipolis
Senior Member
 
Amphipolis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,189
Amphipolis is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan View Post
Sorry, I think it's 'podi' = foot if I'm not mistaken. As mentioned, i am no linguist.
Here's some info on πους/pous (in English)
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CF%80%CE%BF%CF%8D%CF%82
Amphipolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:20 AM   #236
spitfire
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 868
spitfire is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
Holy crap......

The fact you don't understand what we're telling you, makes me doubt you had a single ounce of intelligence.
Like you said in the past, no knowledge is better than lack of knowledge.
Maybe instead I should write, no discussion is necessary if you are discussing it with a person in denial of the obvious.

Etymological principles differ between languages.

Maybe increasing the size will help you comprehend that sentence.


This is an ignorant statement, the world always wants to propel in knowledge, you are opposing that ideology to support your false agenda.
Yeah right...

There are some things that are common knowledge my friend. Here's something to help you out.

http://www.angelfire.com/md2/timewarp/saussure.html

You are not unique in this world and uniqueness is measured other than you think.

Now read about the signifier and the signified.
spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #237
Nikolaj
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 388
Nikolaj is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
Yeah right...

There are some things that are common knowledge my friend. Here's something to help you out.

http://www.angelfire.com/md2/timewarp/saussure.html

You are not unique in this world and uniqueness is measured other than you think.

Now read about the signifier and the signified.
The linguistic value of a word (a signifier) comes from its property of standing for a concept (the signified).
The value of the signified comes from its relation to other concepts. The value of the complete sign comes from the way in which it unites the signifier and the signified.


The breaking down of a word is accepted in any variant if it has a conceptual framework. This does not oppose the breaking down of the word Vasil to Va sil, when the signifier and signified are united.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 09-30-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Site keeps crashing, quite common at this time of night. I am off to sleep for now anyways.
Nikolaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #238
spitfire
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 868
spitfire is on a distinguished road
Default

Well done. Now give me the sign, the signifier and the signified of Vasil.
spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #239
spitfire
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 868
spitfire is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphipolis View Post
Here's some info on πους/pous (in English)
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CF%80%CE%BF%CF%8D%CF%82
Very interesting and helpful on the subject. I got to this by the way, from your link.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E1%BC...#Ancient_Greek

And another helpful thing about the credibility asked, is the Liddell & Scott, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1940 Lexicon which is mentioned at the bottom of the page.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...:entry=a)le/cw
spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:07 PM   #240
Stevce
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 179
Stevce is on a distinguished road
Default

The earliest form of the name I could find is from a Wilusa king from 1200bc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaksandu
Stevce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alexander, alexandros, etymology, macedonia, slavic


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump