The book that demolishes the Greek myth in Macedonia!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daskalot
    • Sep 2008

The book that demolishes the Greek myth in Macedonia!

The Close Racial Kinship Between the Greeks, Bulgarians, and Turks: Macedonia and Thrace By Dr. George Nakratzas

Click here to read the book

Here is the preface of the book:

PREFACE TO THE THIRD EDITION

The sole purpose of the first edition of this book was to give young Greeks another version of the origins of the modern Greek people, a rather different version, that runs counter to what has been taught in Greek schools for decades.

As the overtones of the modern Greek nationalist mythology gradually came into focus, culminating in such nationalist clichés as the assertion that ‘the Greek nation has no kin’, that the ‘Skopjans’ are ‘Gypsies’, or that the (Former Yugoslav) Republic of Macedonia is an ‘ethnic hotchpotch’, I was taken aback, and eventually got down to writing this, the third edition.

My hopes of doing what I could to set up an opposing force to this rampant nationalism have not been entirely in vain, considering that something like 3,000 copies have been sold all over the country. For a book of this nature, this is quite an achievement.

Viewed in the light of the general situation in Europe, Greece’s present foreign policy has shown that the country’s modern ideological armour is still very much the product of a nationalist upbringing, the roots of which go back to somewhere around the beginning of the nineteenth century. But the nation will never find its way in the European Union carrying this sort of ideological baggage.

One of the cornerstones of this ideology is the unrealistic theory that the modem Greeks, expressing as they do the enduring nature of the Greek language, are the biological descendants of the ancient Greeks. It was concocted in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries to serve as an ideological arsenal in the efforts to create a modern Greek nation in view of the impending collapse of the feudal, theocratic Ottoman Empire. The philosophical challenge to theocracy as a social model of governance first emerged, together with the concept of human rights, in north-western Europe in the sixteenth century, the century of philosophical humanism that produced Erasmus, Shakespeare, and other great thinkers. In Greece, 400 years after the theocratic beliefs of the Middle Ages were first challenged (in 1967, to be precise), there was still talk of ‘the Greece of Greek Christians’; and even today we hear a great deal about ‘Greek Orthodox culture’ — a culture that has never in fact existed as such, being known rather as ‘Orthodox Eastern Roman culture’.

This country’s cultural backwardness has been starkly underlined by the efforts of modern Greek society to use the institution of the European City of Culture (Thessaloniki in 1997) to vaunt the mediaeval ideal of the Orthodox Eastern Roman culture of Mount Athos, not only as a historical and cultural facet of the multiethnic Byzantine Empire, but also as a ‘Greek’ national and religious heritage. These efforts may even have been subsidised by the European Union, at a time when sixty per cent of the population of the Netherlands, one of the most religious countries in Europe, have officially rejected any form of religious doctrine.

A large segment of modern Greek society, which has never really embarked upon the process of ideological modernisation, oscillates desperately between modernism and Greek Orthodox fundamentalism, displaying an inherent inability to make any sort of ideological distinction between the terms ‘race’, nationality’, and ‘cultural or ethnic identity’. Apart from the fact that even well-respected journalists are engaged in daily attempts to convince the younger generation that we are directly descended from ‘our ancient forebears’, views that go against the theory of ‘one race, one religion, one nation’ are regarded as nationally reprehensible. It is on this theory that most Greeks base their belief that there are no minorities in our country, apart from the ‘Greek Moslems’ of Western Thrace. Greek citizens who have publicly proclaimed that they do not feel like Greeks but like ethnic Macedonians or ethnic Turks have been pursued and convicted by Greek justice, which just goes to show that modem Greek society not only fails to show the necessary respect for what is different, but cannot even tolerate it. And, being in the grip of a virulent Hellenocentric egomania, this same society, while denying Greek citizens the right to any ethnic identity other than Greek, constantly exhorts Greeks living in other countries to preserve their Greek ethnic identity.

Personally, I couldn’t care less what race the citizens of modern Greece belong to; the only purpose of this book is to show, and substantiate with written documentation, how rotten and historically untenable obsessive nationalism is, in the hope of infusing as many young people as possible with respect for the right to self-determination of every Greek citizen and every ethnic group that calls itself a minority, as long as the country’s laws and territorial integrity are respected.
    Macedonian Truth Organisation
  • TrueMacedonian
    • Jan 2009

Does anyone have this book on hand? If so please post some pages. And can I obtain this book in English here in the States?
    Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Onur
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by TrueMacedonian View Post
      Does anyone have this book on hand? If so please post some pages. And can I obtain this book in English here in the States?

Daskalot already posts the PDF file or you are asking cuz you prefer good old pressed book on paper? PDF scan is quite good, easily readable;

Last edited by Onur; 08-12-2010, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Onur View Post
        Daskalot already posts the PDF file or you are asking cuz you prefer good old pressed book on paper? PDF scan is quite good, easily readable;

http://makedonika.files.wordpress.co...-nakratzas.pdf
        It's not working for me. I've tried a few times to open it. That's why I figured I would ask if someone could post some pages or if someone knows where I can purchase this book.
        Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Daskalot
          • Sep 2008

If the above link does not work for you TM, try this one instead:

Remember it takes some time to open(the file is quite large), best thing is to right click the link and chose save as, that way you will download it to your place of choice.
          Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

I can't open it with adobe acrobat,maybe you can try other ones they may work.
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Epirot
              • Mar 2010

Any detail who is George Nakratzas?
              IF OUR CHRONICLES DO NOT LIE, WE CALL OURSELVES AS EPIROTES!

Comment

• Onur
                • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Epirot View Post
                Any detail who is George Nakratzas?

On this book, it`s written that he is an M.D at university of Salonika. Probably he is Aegean Macedonian but i am not sure about that.

He has radical views according to common Greek policy and probably he receives death threats in daily basis. He says that modern Greece has been created out of nothing by western powers and current people of Greece has no relation with ancient Greeks. He also says that all the people in Balkans are the result of an ethnic mosaic of Greeks, Albanians, Macedonians, Turks and other communities. He even says that Greeks commited genocide upon Macedonians at civil war&Balkan wars and upon Turks between 1919-1922 in Aegean Anatolia.

Last year, Turkish tv program producer gone to Greece to do an interview with him and i remember that the producer was being followed by spies of Greek intelligence

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                I can't open it with adobe acrobat,maybe you can try other ones they may work.
                Works fine with the "Adobe reader 9" in my computer.
                Last edited by Onur; 08-13-2010, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• Makedonetz
                  • Apr 2010

On this book, it`s written that he is an M.D at university of Salonika. Probably he is Aegean Macedonian but i am not sure about that.

He has radical views according to common Greek policy and probably he receives death threats in daily basis. He says that modern Greece has been created out of nothing by western powers and current people of Greece has no relation with ancient Greeks. He also says that all the people in Balkans are the result of an ethnic mosaic of Greeks, Albanians, Macedonians, Turks and other communities. He even says that Greeks commited genocide upon Macedonians at civil war&Balkan wars and upon Turks between 1919-1922 in Aegean Anatolia.

Last year, Turkish tv program producer gone to Greece to do an interview with him and i remember that the producer was being followed by spies of Greek intelligence

Works fine with the "Adobe reader 9" in my computer.

Onur im sure they sent a band of Gypsie intellegence to watch his actions and not supress the greek image

Its amazing in Greece history the hyprocacy greece would do if someone opened their mouths and bad mouth the country. Do you remember the one greek President Mitsoutakis? wanted to work out a relation with our country and open the doors for our narod to have a voice but he was threatend and kicked out of office. I remember bringing this point up once and the former greeks on this forum who got banned were getting their Fustanella's in a bunch

Here are some qoutes of his work

The So-Called Genocide of the Greeks of Asia Minor

by Dr. George Nakratzas

February, 2007

To quote from the author's own work, Asia Minor and the origins of the refugees, page 123: While the Turkish forces counter-attacked against the Greeks, their successful approach to the bridge over the River Maiandros was the signal the Greeks had been awaiting. They first of all set fire to the four corners of the Turkish quarter, and then placed machine guns and armed soldiers and civilians at street corners, in high buildings and on the minarets. From these positions they opened fire on the local people, who attempted in terror to flee their burning houses. Injured people lying in the streets were compelled to return to their homes, where many poor people - old people, women and children - were burned alive.

When it came to genocide and ethnic cleansing in the Balkans, it was in fact the Greek army, which led the way.

The first example was the slaying of 32,000 unarmed Turks and Jews in Tripoli in 1821, and the ethnic cleansing of the entire Slav-speaking population of Kilkis in 1913.

To really appreciate the importance of the events narrated by Adamantiadis, one needs to ask oneself how the Greek authorities would have reacted after the Second World War if - during the Bulgarian occupation of eastern Macedonia - the Slav-speaking Macedonians of Serres and Drama had welcomed with torch lit processions the Bulgarian troops, and if some of them had donned Bulgarian uniform and fought against the Greek army at some point of a hypothetical battlefront.

Onur here is a letter he sent for someone who was denied entry to Egej and made a reference he was macedonian

A similar incident in the relatively recent past involved a Mr. Karatzas, a 78-year-old resident of the Republic of Macedonia
                  , who was refused entry to Greece. After international protests, and only following your own wise intervention, this old man, a veteran of the Democratic Army, was allowed to visit for the last time his village near Kastoria, the village where he spent his childhood. I learned of this visit - with great relief - from the man himself.

Do you not think that it is now time for this alleged second, unofficial list to be abolished - the list which names ethnic Macedonians as personae non gratae.

I ask you to imagine how we ourselves would react if we were to be refused entry at the borders of neighbouring countries, simply because we described ourselves as ethnic Greeks?

Yours faithfully,

Dr. George Nakratzas

P.S. I beg to inform you that copies of this letter, translated into English, will be forwarded to the 600 Members of the European Parliament, as well as other interested individuals.
                  Last edited by Makedonetz; 08-13-2010, 08:43 PM.
                  Makedoncite se borat
                  za svoite pravdini!

"The one who works for joining of Macedonia to Bulgaria,Greece or Serbia can consider himself as a good Bulgarian, Greek or Serb, but not a good Macedonian"
                  - Goce Delchev

Comment

• Pelister
                    • Sep 2008

I would like to get a copy of this. Nakratas is only one of a very select few who don't follow the nationalist line of Greek historiography. We need more like him. I am a bit concerned about his coverage of the 'Slav/Avar incursions' because there are far too many assumptions being made about who they were, or were not in the literature and the looseness of the term leads to 'connections' that are usually unproven, and he falls into this trap.
                    Last edited by Pelister; 08-15-2010, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• Onur
                      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Pelister View Post
                      I am a bit concerned about his coverage of the 'Slav/Avar incursions' because there are far too many assumptions being made about who they were, or were not in the literature and the looseness of the term leads to 'connections' that are usually unproven, and he falls into this trap.

He doesn't mention where they came from in the book but i believe the only explanation of Slav migration to the Balkans could be the rise of Khazar Empire.

Slavic speaking people were living around today`s northwest of Russia and their time of the mass migration to Balkans matches with the rise of Khazar Empire in the beginning of 7th century.

Khazars not only the forced Slavs to migrate out from their territories. Turkic speaking Avars and Bulgars migrate out to Balkans too. Avars probably wanted to maintain their own Khaganate like the Bulgars. This was most likely the reason of their expulsion by Khazars.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

Slavic speaking people were living around today`s northwest of Russia and their time of the mass migration to Balkans matches with the rise of Khazar Empire in the beginning of 7th century.
                        With all due respect Onur, I don't think you're qualified to suggest that people who spoke a Slavic (or related) tongue were confined strictly to north-western Russia, much less promote the uncorroborated hypothesis of a "mass migration". I am assuming you know little about the origin of Slavic languages, their relation to Baltic and Paleo-Balkan languages, and their evolution from Proto Indo-European. The first time 'invaders' into East Rome were referred to as 'Sclavenes' pre-dates the established of the Khazar Empire by over a century. What first triggered the movement of certain groups from the area north of the Danube into the Roman Empire was the migration and intrusion of the Huns from the east, who overthrew the Alan and Gothic 'entities' and displaced parts of their populations, forcing them to seek refuge west and south. People who spoke languages that later came to be known as 'Slavic' already lived in the region, there is no way possible that a handful of tribes confined to a small region in Russia became the largest linguistic group in Europe over the course of a few centuries. Logic utterly defies such ignorance.
                        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Onur
                          • Apr 2010

Well, i didn't wanna say that "ALL" the Slavic speaking people lived at northwest Russia and they migrated into Balkans only at 7th century.

There might be slavic speaking population already present in Balkans b4 that, i don't deny that. I just wanted to point the fact that after the rise of Khazar Empire at the beginning of 7th century, there was mass migrations of slavic speaking people into the Balkans. This most likely wasn't the first wave of migrations tough. I didn't wanna say that this was the first time.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                            • Sep 2008

Well, i didn't wanna say that "ALL" the Slavic speaking people lived at northwest Russia and they migrated into Balkans only at 7th century.
                            Although clinical and direct, I hope you didn't miscontrue my response, I would expect no less of a response from yourself were I to make a statement about the Turkic languages that you did not agree with and considered fundamentally flawed.
                            There might be slavic speaking population already present in Balkans b4 that, i don't deny that.
                            The issue with 'slavic speaking populations' alread present in the Balkans is the name applied to this group, which did not exist in Roman records prior to the 6th century AD. I can see that you are skeptical and I am not expecting any blind support for what I assert. I would like to ask, however, what exactly would you require in terms of evidence to demonstrate that linguistic commonality of the Paleo-Balkan languages with those north of the Danube that came to be referred to as Slavic?
                            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Onur
                              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                              The issue with 'slavic speaking populations' alread present in the Balkans is the name applied to this group, which did not exist in Roman records prior to the 6th century AD. I can see that you are skeptical and I am not expecting any blind support for what I assert. I would like to ask, however, what exactly would you require in terms of evidence to demonstrate that linguistic commonality of the Paleo-Balkan languages with those north of the Danube that came to be referred to as Slavic?

Actually i am not skeptical. I just don't know much about this and i might look like skeptical for the issues i don't know
                              I would be happy if you have some documents or articles which shows the linguistic commonality. So, i would read and learn.

What i know is that there was constant conflict between some Slavic tribes and Khazar Empire. They were forced to migrate into Balkans because of this conflict started at 7th century.

This is the people i am talking about;

Khazars also took tribute from these people as the wiki article states;

In the eighth and ninth centuries, the south branches of East Slavic tribes had to pay tribute to the Khazars, a Turkic-speaking people who adopted Judaism in the late eighth or ninth century and lived in the southern Volga and Caucasus regions.
                              Last edited by Onur; 08-16-2010, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X