Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tchaiku
    • Nov 2016

This Thracian not only plots south/west of Bulgarians but also Thessalians. (15769 is a Thracian)

It turns out Byzantines had a point when they called Thessalonikki a Roman island in a Slavic sea. In this decade scientists will probably prove the accuracy of the medival writers that Fallmerayer cited.
    Last edited by tchaiku; 01-25-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• maco2envy
      • Jan 2015

It turns out Byzantines had a point when they called Thessalonikki a Roman island in a Slavic sea. In this decade scientists will probably prove the accuracy of the medival writers that Fallmerayer cited.
      Doubt it. Accurately matching ancient autosomal DNA with that of modern populations is still beyond the capability of modern-day science.

Comment

• tchaiku
        • Nov 2016

This Thracian might have been an anomally we need a couple more samples and a preffesional PCA to be fully accurate. I never heard about any issue with matching ancient DNA with modern DNA.

Btw there is a general difference between modern Balkanites (all in general) being more north eastern compared to ancient ones.

Comment

• maco2envy
          • Jan 2015

No preffesional PCA (whatever that is?) nor more thracian samples will solve the problem of:

1. DNA having a half life of 500 years - so a thracian sample from 200 BC would only have about 5% of their DNA remaining
          2. Meiosis: randomly inheriting half of your DNA from the father and the other half from the father, therefore being possible that an individual has little to-no genetic to an ancestor from the distant past due to chance
          3. Matching small regions of DNA (<7cM), which would be the case with these thracians samples has a very large probability of false positive (i.e genetic relations due to chance rather than inheritance)
          4. Are the thracians even genetically homogeneous? Doubt it!

I'm sorry but there is little that can be done with genetics to determine who is more ancient. There are Y-DNA studies but those are limited in this respect.

Most of this getmatch and clustering is bullshit and thats why so much of this crap is unpublished.

Comment

• tchaiku
            • Nov 2016

Sorry Maco2envy it was a typo I meant professional which refers to academic work, the PCA I used was an experiment made in Gedmatch not something published by scientists. However it might be true.
            Last edited by tchaiku; 01-27-2020, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Amphipolis
              Banned
              • Aug 2014

Hello again (it seems my annual banning just ended).

During summer My-Heritage-DNA started presenting statistics for all Balkan countries that were missing before due to small number of samples. You can see North Macedonia, also Albania, Sebia, Bulgaria, Bosnia, Croatia and Slovenia now.

Ethnicity list for Europe - Learn about the ethnic makeup of the UK, Germany, Norway and other countries in Europe. Explore ethnic groups such as Irish, Scandinavian or Italian, and discover your origins with MyHeritage DNA!

Comment

• tchaiku
                • Nov 2016

Classical Greek DNA (look at Aegean BA).

Figure D, in the red, the samples where taken from Spain in a Greek city colony.
                The closest population to old Greeks are the Sicilians and to a lesser degree Ashkenazi Jews.

Note: Ploting close to a population doesn't mean you are genetically related directly to them. For example a half Chinese and half Irish person will probably end plotting somewhere in central Asia.

Comment

• Carlin
                  • Dec 2011

Cypriots are mostly either of Armenian or Arab ethnic ancestry. Cyprus was the place Armenians and Christian Arabs fled to after the conquest of their lands by Muslims.

A woman from Cyprus does an ancestry dna test - results are after 3 minutes in this video. Only 2% "Greece and the Balkans".

Video:

Comment

• tchaiku
                    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Carlin15 View Post
                    Cypriots are mostly either of Armenian or Arab ethnic ancestry. Cyprus was the place Armenians and Christian Arabs fled to after the conquest of their lands by Muslims.

A woman from Cyprus does an ancestry dna test - results are after 3 minutes in this video. Only 2% "Greece and the Balkans".

Video:
                    https://youtu.be/KiA35BjyIdw
                    They are a mixed population of Europeans, Anatolians (Armenians) and Levantines.
                    I don't believe their Levantine input is much greater than the Anatolian one but the reason why they plot closer to Levantines is because of the European admixture pushed them close to Lebanon. Kind of like I mentioned before about a half Irish and a half Chinese person will end up plotting close to central Asia. So your data about Armenians in Cyprus seems mostly likely on point.

Comment

• Carlin
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by tchaiku View Post
                      They are a mixed population of Europeans, Anatolians (Armenians) and Levantines.
                      I don't believe their Levantine input is much greater than the Anatolian one but the reason why they plot closer to Levantines is because of the European admixture pushed them close to Lebanon. Kind of like I mentioned before about a half Irish and a half Chinese person will end up plotting close to central Asia. So your data about Armenians in Cyprus seems mostly likely on point.
                      Yes, there are also Europeans (specifically there were settlers from modern Italy and other countries during the Middle Ages).

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                        Hello again (it seems my annual banning just ended).
                        And your permanent one is about to begin.
                        You can see North Macedonia....
                        First and last warning. You lost the privilege of being treated as objective long ago. I don't care what sources you cite that refer to my ancestral homeland by that false name. You will refer to Macedonia as Macedonia, the Republic of Macedonia or the Macedonian republic. Anything else will be the end of you from here, permanently.
                        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                          You lost the privilege of being treated as objective long ago.
                          Did you mean "object"?

Comment

• Gocka
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                            Did you mean "object"?
                            Enjoy it while it lasts you maggot.

My countrymen might be short sighted idiots, but you cowards will never win. You don't magically erase peoples minds because you add a prefix. They still believe they are Macedonian, you still have countless Macedonians living in Northern Greece who will always be in touch with their true roots.

You will never replace us, you will never fully own the Macedonian legacy. We will be a thorn in your hairy Turkish ass for eternity.

SUCK IT!

Comment

• Risto the Great
                              • Sep 2008

The Severedonians will still vote for the Greeks and Albanians in the next Eurovision. Oh dear, I can't even be sure who I hate more nowadays.
                              Risto the Great
                              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• sydney
                                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
                                Enjoy it while it lasts you maggot.

My countrymen might be short sighted idiots, but you cowards will never win. You don't magically erase peoples minds because you add a prefix. They still believe they are Macedonian, you still have countless Macedonians living in Northern Greece who will always be in touch with their true roots.

You will never replace us, you will never fully own the Macedonian legacy. We will be a thorn in your hairy Turkish ass for eternity.

SUCK IT!
                                Hilarious Gocka, summed it up perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                                X