Macedonian Truth Forum   

Go Back   Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian Truth Forum > General Discussions

Old 06-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #11
VMRO

VMRO has much to be proud ofVMRO has much to be proud ofVMRO has much to be proud ofVMRO has much to be proud ofVMRO has much to be proud ofVMRO has much to be proud ofVMRO has much to be proud ofVMRO has much to be proud ofVMRO has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocka View Post
OMG!

Am I the only one who noticed that a vast majority of those Macedonians shown in Niko's pictures died in their 20's and 30's, one was 19 I believe. Only one was in her 80's and her husband in his 60's. A couple were in their 50's and everyone else was under 40.

I know life expectancy has gone up considerably but it couldn't have been that bad for every community?

Yeah i noticed that, it was sad, particularly the Yordanoff brothers who died so young.

Vnatreshna Makedonska Revolucionerna Organizacija.
VMRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:28 PM   #12
vicsinad

vicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRO View Post
Yeah i noticed that, it was sad, particularly the Yordanoff brothers who died so young.
I wrote about the Steelton community in my David Nakoff book. Peter Yordanoff, drowned in the Conemaugh River in Johnstown, PA on the Fourth of July during American Independence Day celebrations.

Here's a list of just some Macedonians whose funerals Nakoff presided over:

George Ignia, April 21, 1916. Baldwin Cemetery.
Peter Jordanoff, drowned in the Conemaugh River in Johnstown on July 4, 1922 at the age 19. Baldwin Cemetery.
John Dundoff, grocery store owner, November 8, 1924, age 55.
Spiro Pedia, of the Steelton Serbian Orthodox Church, died of a stroke in late January, 1931, age 50. Steelton Cemetery.
Marie Mircheff, died of prolonged illness on September 1, 1934, at age 14. Baldwin Cemetery.2
Menka Kuleff, July 7, 1936, Baldwin Cemetery.
Stanko Stefanovich, October 2, 1936, age 58. Baldwin Cemetery.
Christ Yoneff, December 11, 1936, age 38. Baldwin Cemetery.
Peter Vasiloff, July 20, 1937, age 58. Baldwin Cemetery.
Dorne D. Kormushoff, October 26, 1937, age 70. Baldwin Cemetery.
Frances Petroff, March 23, 1941, age 40. Baldwin Cemetery.
Tony Spasoff, May 28, 1941, age 64. Baldwin Cemetery.
Stojan Vujaklija, September 9, 1941. Oberlin Cemetery.
Vaska Ilioff, April 20, 1943, age 60. Baldwin Cemetery.
Blanche Kristoff, February 9, 1944, age 28. Baldwin Cemetery.
vicsinad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #13
Gocka

Gocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsinad View Post
I wrote about the Steelton community in my David Nakoff book. Peter Yordanoff, drowned in the Conemaugh River in Johnstown, PA on the Fourth of July during American Independence Day celebrations.

Here's a list of just some Macedonians whose funerals Nakoff presided over:

George Ignia, April 21, 1916. Baldwin Cemetery.
Peter Jordanoff, drowned in the Conemaugh River in Johnstown on July 4, 1922 at the age 19. Baldwin Cemetery.
John Dundoff, grocery store owner, November 8, 1924, age 55.
Spiro Pedia, of the Steelton Serbian Orthodox Church, died of a stroke in late January, 1931, age 50. Steelton Cemetery.
Marie Mircheff, died of prolonged illness on September 1, 1934, at age 14. Baldwin Cemetery.2
Menka Kuleff, July 7, 1936, Baldwin Cemetery.
Stanko Stefanovich, October 2, 1936, age 58. Baldwin Cemetery.
Christ Yoneff, December 11, 1936, age 38. Baldwin Cemetery.
Peter Vasiloff, July 20, 1937, age 58. Baldwin Cemetery.
Dorne D. Kormushoff, October 26, 1937, age 70. Baldwin Cemetery.
Frances Petroff, March 23, 1941, age 40. Baldwin Cemetery.
Tony Spasoff, May 28, 1941, age 64. Baldwin Cemetery.
Stojan Vujaklija, September 9, 1941. Oberlin Cemetery.
Vaska Ilioff, April 20, 1943, age 60. Baldwin Cemetery.
Blanche Kristoff, February 9, 1944, age 28. Baldwin Cemetery.
Since you are the resident expert on such matters I wanted to ask you something.

What is the earliest born person you know of who was buried in the US in line with what Niko is posting? He had one there from 1883 I believe.
Gocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:46 PM   #14
Niko777

Niko777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocka View Post
Since you are the resident expert on such matters I wanted to ask you something.

What is the earliest born person you know of who was buried in the US in line with what Niko is posting? He had one there from 1883 I believe.
I'm sure Vic would agree with me that is almost impossible to determine because people did not always have their birth year on their tombstones. If we were to estimate I would say 1850s or 1860s is the earliest. But I think Stoyon Petroff who died 1906, is one of the first Macedonians who was buried in the USA, or is the oldest grave still intact
Niko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:51 PM   #15
Niko777

Couple more from different areas:

Toronto, Canada:
Vasil "Vasie" Koleff from Statitsa, Kostursko, Macedonia (spelling errors)

Waukegan, Illinois:

Vane Tanasoff

Newark, Ohio:

"Here rests
Mr Stefo Kostoff

MAK. YA EVR."

Anyone know what "MAK. YA EVR." could possibly mean?

Loraine, Ohio

Tanas Seleff -Selo German, Makedonia (Died 1913)

Albion, Michigan
Nikolai Vasileff - selo Buf, Lerinsko, Makedonia 1899-1918

Last edited by Niko777; 06-12-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #16
vicsinad

vicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud of

Here's one from Montana that I did research on for the Montana book. He was buried in 1918. His gravestone (if you click on the link) says: Born in Vodena, Macedonia. His name is Christ Hlebaroff.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/60976273

Quote:

The earliest I've seen with a gravestone that mentions their birthdate and being born in Macedonia was in the 1870s. I don't know if I can dig that up. But there are likely some that were born earlier who have Macedonia on their graves.

Niko's right that it's impossible to determine. About 5% of Macedonians who arrived in the US before World War I were born in the 1860s or earlier. So, perhaps there are a few stragglers out there. Many Macedonians died in Montana, the Dakotas, and out West working in the mines and on the railroads. Their gravestones would be hard to come around unless someone makes it their mission to find them.

Quote:
But I think Stoyon Petroff who died 1906, is one of the first Macedonians who was buried in the USA, or is the oldest grave still intact
Many scores of Macedonians were buried in the US before Stoyan. The Macedonian colony was already flourishing in Granite City with a couple thousand Macedonians there in 1906. (Actually, some of the largest banking institutions in the State of Illinois at that time were owned by Macedonians in 1908, an indicator of how many Macedonians were in the US then, as they had a wide Macedonian clientele). I would put my money on finding one from 1902 or 1903. I'll try to find some that are still in tact!
vicsinad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #17
Gocka

Gocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsinad View Post

The earliest I've seen with a gravestone that mentions their birthdate and being born in Macedonia was in the 1870s. I don't know if I can dig that up. But there are likely some that were born earlier who have Macedonia on their graves.

Niko's right that it's impossible to determine. About 5% of Macedonians who arrived in the US before World War I were born in the 1860s or earlier. So, perhaps there are a few stragglers out there. Many Macedonians died in Montana, the Dakotas, and out West working in the mines and on the railroads. Their gravestones would be hard to come around unless someone makes it their mission to find them.

Of course it would be impossible to know of the oldest, that's why I said the oldest you know of.

That would be a hell of a road trip huh? Maybe when we retire we can go looking for gravestones in the wild west
Gocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #18
Niko777

Georgi Sugarev's mother (Donka) and 3 brothers (Vangel, Hristo and Mihail) and 1 sister (Vita) are buried in the USA.

Donka

Vangel

Hristo

Mihail

Vita

Article on the Sugarev family in the USA. Hristo's family were MPO members.

Last edited by Niko777; 07-17-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:41 AM   #19
Stevce

Stevce is on a distinguished road

Watch out Zoran Zaev might claim that the tombstones change to North Macedonia in stead of Macedonia. I wonder if the Greeks would claim the one written in Greek. Either way concrete proof that Tito invented a time machine.
Stevce is offline   Reply With Quote