Macedonian Truth Forum   

Go Back   Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian Truth Forum > Exposing Lies and Propaganda

Old 07-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator

Soldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond repute

Ela re Spartiati, speak your mind, I promise that the Chremonidean War will not be repeated
Old 07-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #12
Spartan

Spartan is on a distinguished road

@Risto
Of course I do.
In my opinion they are given a lot of love by the Greeks.
Having said that, I must admit they have helped Greece out a lot since its inception up until today.
I think you worded it perfectly below
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risto the Great View Post
it is due to their belief in rules and systems .... everything that does not exist in Greece ...
Cheers my friend
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
Ela re Spartiati, speak your mind, I promise that the Chremonidean War will not be repeated
lol
I dont deny the German contribution to the beginnings of the modern Greek state, up until even now.
It is what it is.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:28 AM   #14
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator

Soldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond repute

No probs.

How about the flag? Is there an alternative theory as to how it came about, and why it is so similar to the Bavarian flags?
Old 07-16-2009, 02:39 AM   #15
Daskalot

Daskalot is on a distinguished road

I have heard a theory about the Greek flag.... that the white and blue stripes represents the sky and the sea.... also that they represent the syllables in "eleftheria i thanatos"(freedom or death, the slogan used during the war of independence).
Old 07-16-2009, 02:47 AM   #16
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator

I have heard that too, but what precedence is there for a flag with such stripes, and for such colours? The only one I can think of is the Bavarian flag(s), given the obvious Bavarian influence at the eve of modern Greece's creation.

They have the cross as a symbol, so do several other states across the world. I see nothing unique, and certainly nothing with historical precedence, not even the colours.

Where are the flags of 'Hellas' from the last 2,000 years? In the absence of this, where are their coat of arms? There are none, from what I have seen thus far. Of course, if any Greek can prove me wrong, I would like to see it.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:55 AM   #17
Risto the Great

Risto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daskalot View Post
I have heard a theory about the Greek flag.... that the white and blue stripes represents the sky and the sea.... also that they represent the syllables in "eleftheria i thanatos"(freedom or death, the slogan used during the war of independence).
"eleftheria i thanatos"
"bavaria is my wet dream(os)"

I smell a conspiracy theory here.

"Holding my breath for the revolution."
Risto the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:40 AM   #18
Spartan

Heres a list of Greek flags from Wiki, make of it what you will-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_flags
Old 07-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #19
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator

Unfortunately, some are from the East Roman Empire, which hardly qualify for exclusively Greek or Hellenic symbols, most are post-1820's, while the few that are pre-1820's do not have a source or link, so I am a little reserved. Do you know if there is any further information on the pre-1820's? For example, a link to where the flag reportedly used by the Sipahi is cited?

I was looking for something more like the below link:

http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum...p?t=822&page=3

You will see that the yellow and red colours, and the rampant lion has been used as a symbol of Macedonia for centuries on end, and cited by various people.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #20
Spartan

I know Wiki isnt that reliable, I merely posted the link as a general source.
Im sure there is more reliable and in-depth sources out there about Greek flags, and the history behind them.