Macedonian jumps from the White Tower in Solun, early 20th century!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daskalot
    • Sep 2008

Macedonian jumps from the White Tower in Solun, early 20th century!

Here is a picture depicting a man throwing himself of the White Tower in Solun(Thessaloniki) to escape torture by the hand of the Turks.

Translation of the text below the picture into English:
    A Macedonian merchant throws himself out from the dangerous Turkish prison: "Kanli-Kule" in Solun, to escape the Turkish torture.
    Quite an oxymoron that the modern Greeks of Thessaloniki see this building as their heritage.
    Macedonian Truth Organisation
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

To Daskalot(Professor)that was a good one.THe Greeks never occupied Solun before 1913.THey have to have propaganda to say that it's part of theGreek heritage.As an example to the extent the Greeks have gone to change the name SOLUN to Thessaloniki.THey don't even know what the word SOLUN is.THe name Solun has been in existence for thousands of years.A name born to itself.Toa e SONCETO It is a Macedonian Name.But then didn't the Greeks change all toponyms in northern Greece from Macedonian to Greek.THey did that to destroy all traces that say it was Macedonian.
    Last edited by George S.; 11-13-2009, 06:47 PM. Reason: edit
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Spartan
      • Sep 2008

Didnt the Macedonians originally name the city Thessaloniki George?
      Also, what does Solun mean? I always assumed it was a short form of 'Salonika". My apologies if Im mistaken

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

my understanding is SOLUN it;s to do with the sun why would the macedonians use a greek name like THessaloniki.
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
          • Aug 2009

To Spartan ,my understanding is SOLUN it;s to do with the sun why would the macedonians use a greek name like Thessalonica, or Salonica is the Greek version.] Latin is Thessalonik.iFor your information A Macedonian King called cassander in 315 bc founded solun.Don't forget even in days of old the Greeks enjoyed putting their own versions of names on countries so it's nothing new.Does that mean it was theirs noWhat is unindisputable is Greece never before set foot in solunWhen Macedonia was partitioned in 1913 Greece wasn;t happy at all with her share & protested & wanted more. Dont' forget the Bulgarians also laid claim to it as well.Don't forget the picture DEpicts a Macedonian Merchant commiting suicide.(you don't see that many Greeks jumping of castles.
          Last edited by George S.; 11-13-2009, 08:07 PM. Reason: edit
          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

The name of the city was given by a Macedonian ruler, not the Macedonian people. Thessaloniki meaning 'Thessalian victory' was a name that Phillip II gave to his daughter, who Cassander later married and named the port city in her honour. As a Macedonian ruler, Cassander isn't exactly a friend of the Hellenes.

Although the word appears in Hellenic form, the first part of the word, and indeed the name 'Thessaly' itself, is pre-Hellenic and has no etymology in the Hellenic language. So it's not exactly a 'pure' Hellenic word by any stretch. Salonika and Solun are both variants that derive from Thessaloniki as far as I am aware, which I don't see as a big deal in any case, as several other examples exist where the shorter version is preferred, for instance, they call it London and not Londinium today.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
              • Jan 2009

this is a version i have of the meaning.....!!!

Thessalonica is not Greek, it is a Macedonian name. The name "Thessalonica " is the true and authentic Macedonian name. Where as the name "Solun" was acquired later, the city was founded in 315 BC by the Macedonian King Casander. "Thessalonica " is a compound word consisting of the words "Thessalo and "nica" " Thessalo" comes from the word "Thessaly " and "nica" comes from the word "nice" for "victory ". In other words "victory over Thessaly". Later and with many years of passing the name was shortened to "Salonica " and from that the name "Solun" was derived. First of all the word "nik"(a) is found in the ancient Macedonian language, but as a suffix (used in large numbers) and has the same meaning as the Greek noun. For example, the noun "rabotnik " (worker) consists of the compound the suffix "nik". From this, the etymology of the noun "rabotnik " is "he who performs work" tsarinik (tax collector) konjanik (horse rider). The suffix "nik" can also be utilized for different assignment; svinjarnic (pigpen) ribarnic (fish tank). The Phoenicians invented the alphabet, and the Achaians or the people from the City states, changed it from the Phoenician. Aleph became "Alpha" the beth became "Vita" and the Gimel became "Gama. The Daleth became "delta" And the Greeks misinformed the world that they invented the alphabet.
              The Macedonians originates it, the Bulgarians imitate it and the Greeks exploit it!

Comment

• George S.
                • Aug 2009

on the aspect of the alphabet according to vasil illov the Ancient Macedonian Alphabet is the oldest phonetic Alphabet & forms a base for all the other Alphabets.Why because the Ancient & preshistoric Alphabet of the Macedonians had 36 letters that's why.THe rest of them Greek 24 letters,Phonecian 24 letters,Eutruscan 24 letters.They even found
                writing in France in caves thats ancient macedonian 25000 years old.THey found writings near the danube thats at least 50000 years old.Did you know that the ancient macedonian alphabet is older than the hebrew alphabet.Please do not underestimate our glorious past.
                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Daskalot
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                  on the aspect of the alphabet according to vasil illov the Ancient Macedonian Alphabet is the oldest phonetic Alphabet & forms a base for all the other Alphabets.Why because the Ancient & preshistoric Alphabet of the Macedonians had 36 letters that's why.THe rest of them Greek 24 letters,Phonecian 24 letters,Eutruscan 24 letters.They even found
                  writing in France in caves thats ancient macedonian 25000 years old.THey found writings near the danube thats at least 50000 years old.Did you know that the ancient macedonian alphabet is older than the hebrew alphabet.Please do not underestimate our glorious past.
                  These statements of yours deserves a separate thread, and also some scientific backing to them.
                  Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• George S.
                    • Aug 2009

Your right & we are waiting on vasil illov to substatiate his claims on the alphabet .thanks
                    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                    X