View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 12:42 AM   #48
Bill77

Bill77 has much to be proud ofBill77 has much to be proud ofBill77 has much to be proud ofBill77 has much to be proud ofBill77 has much to be proud ofBill77 has much to be proud ofBill77 has much to be proud ofBill77 has much to be proud ofBill77 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akzion View Post

I’m in white race (though I know you don’t believe me). I tried to find some tool in the internet, or some paper that measures or categorises the colour of the skin
Again, this has nothing to do with Modern Greece. If you in your imagination want to associate with Ancient Hellenes, Then be my guest. But you can't pick and choose what you take.

Just remember, at the end of the day, its only in your imagination. You are not related to the "Garamantes" or their descendants the "Carians". Nor would you be related to the new comers Arian Hellenes (who ever they were) that had to acquaint themselves with the original ocupiers "Negros". Just like you would need to acquaint your self to unfamiliar people at a party when you finally arrive.

Regarding the problem you have finding a tool or some paper that measures or categorises the colour of skin? well i think you are exaggerating. All you need is eyes and a mirror. But if you were to try and explain it on paper for future generations to understand, why don't you do it like the Ancient people did.

This below is work from Scholars who viewed and deciphered the original Ancient Writing. I don't expect you to understand the original script, (for your language has more Turkish and Macedonian words in it than Ancient Greek) But they do translate it, so we all can understand.

GREEK DESCRIPTIONS OF NEGROES

The Classical Greeks most commonly described Negroes as “Ethiopians”, or

In Diod. Sic. 3.8.2, Tetr. 2.2, and Strabo 15.1.24, Sext. Empiric. Adv. Ethicos, In Herodotus 7.70,43 for example, is associated with black skin, woolly hair, and a flat nose.

Herodotus even differentiates between the woolly-haired and the straight-haired Ethiopians, in relation to each other from West to East; which we today know is the result of Arabic/Semitic admixture.

In Arr. An. 5.4.4. Aristot. Probl. 10.66.698B., an Ethiopian’s skin is called the blackest in the world.

Lucian Adv. Indoctum 28. notes the proverbial

which means to “wash an Ethiopian white”.

When the Greeks wanted to illustrate blackness of color, they often selected the Ethiopian for this purpose. (Lucian Bis. Acc. 6. In which reference is made to tanning the skin until it resembles an Ethiopian’s, and Ach. Tat. 4.5.2, in which mention is made of a flower among the Greeks as dark as an Ethiopian’s skin.

Last edited by Bill77; 01-08-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Bill77 is offline   Reply With Quote