X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • I of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

The Apology of an Anti-Hellene - N.Dimou

The following are excerpts from Nikos Dimou’s website; he is quite the intellectual and has a very open thought process on various issues (at least from the pieces that I have read). Kind of makes you want more people to have a somewhat similar mindset – and not just in Greece and on Greek issues.

The Apology of an Anti-Hellene
    Odyssey/Introduction

The Apology of an Anti-Hellene

“And I deliberately omit placing quotation marks around the word anti-Hellene. They are unnecessary. I consider the term an honorable title, won by many worthy Greeks. As Nietzsche once wrote (I don't remember where and haven't been able to find it again), it was the anti-Germans who proved to be the best Germans.

To whom do we refer as an anti-Hellene? As a rule, to Greeks or foreigners who write (or say) unpleasant things about Greeks, who criticize us, or express opinions we don't like.

Regarding the Greeks who are placed in this category: Is it really so difficult to understand that such a critic does his country a greater service than the most enthusiastic cheerleader?”

Dimou the Anti-Hellene

“I got involved with newspapers, television, and magazines -all of which, in the eyes of the intellectuals, called my credibility into even greater question. And it was all pretty much in vain. In the past few years, waves of nationalism, religious fundamentalism, racism, anti-westernism, and isolationism have overcome our country. As I read the various studies analyzing the opinions, the outlooks, and the attitudes of Greeks, I think how pointless all my efforts have been. The brainwashing by the Helleno-centrists is insidious and unremitting. In this land, the words "Europeanist" and even "modernizer" have come to sound like insults, or, at least, like ironies.”

Know Thyself

Greeks' contemporary self-image is built upon a series of myths. The myth of continuity. The myth of the racial and cultural superiority of our ancestors (and, thanks to continuity, our own). The myth of being special. The myth of racial and religious purity. The myth of the genius of the Greek race.

The existence of these myths provokes certain predictable reactions. Thus, my typical compatriot, while proud to be Greek (95 percent, according to polls) will abuse and censure his countrymen at the slightest provocation. And this, naturally, because they fail to live up to the expectations and the demands created by the myths.
    This explains why we're simultaneously the greatest eulogizers and the worst critics of ourselves. Depending on our point of view (and on the moment), we either denigrate Greeks or sing their praises. (In the former case we usually refer to them as "Romious"). Naturally, both attitudes are wrong. Instead of applauding or cursing, it would be better to stop, and think. Calmly, and rationally. (But I forget myself. Rationality is also a Western, imported Evil for our Helleno-centric intelligentsia. So much for Aristotle!)

The "Evil" West

….Foreign "Philhellenes" uncovered our ancient monuments, and it was they who taught us to believe that we were the immediate successors to the ancients, responsible for the continuation of their traditions. The Romioi of the 18th century didn't feel Greek-much less of the ancient variety. They were a Balkan nation, originating from the admixture of many races and cultural traditions, with their own attitudes and ways of thinking. Out of the blue, the Western "Philhellenes" (and their mimics, our own "scholars") stuck a helmet on their head, dubbed them keepers of the ancient flame, and injected them with a passion for purity.

Pure race, ergo, pure language. How this nation has suffered in the name of purity! It was a first in the history of linguistics: the creation of an artificial language, a retro-dialect. All impurities were rooted out, place names were changed, history was distorted-for the sake of proving...what? That Greece was not a Balkan nation like the others, but a racially pure aristocracy, not only of the region but of the whole world. Like certain pseudo-bluebloods who fake their family trees to prove their superiority.

But you don't become worthy on the strength of your lineage, but on the basis of your achievements. The son of a Nobel prizewinner has no birthright to a Nobel prize. The ancient Greeks belong to the whole world, especially to those who study them. An English classicist at Oxford is nearer to the ancients than an ignorant Greek.

Yet even today our intellectuals call the Greeks "the aristocracy of nations." Even today many (most) Greeks believe in their hearts that we are a chosen people. This is why we're always complaining about the way we're treated. Like spoiled children, we demand of everyone their unconditional support-even when we're wrong. And we insist on believing that we're always being cheated, ignoring the fact that we happen to be the only country in the region to have doubled its size in the last 150 years. We've woven endless conspiracy theories so as to absolve ourselves of responsibility, and to cast the blame on others instead. Our belief in our superiority shows up clearly in our racist attitudes. What Greek doesn't consider himself better than the Turk, the Albanian, or the "Gypsy-Skopjan"? Go ask an Greek educated audience about Turkish civilization-they're certain to chuckle.

Well, this Greek, this Greek who asks the world "Do you know who I am?", who shouts at demonstrations, who denies the Other his basic human rights, who has conducted pogroms against his Jewish (in the past) and Muslim (today) compatriots, who ends up shooting (by mistake) the Albanian and the gypsy; this Greek, I don't like. And on this point I remain, incurably, an anti-Hellene.

History as a Western

Not a day goes by without the papers ranting about some anti-Hellenic threat. The Turk coughed, the American scratched himself-woe to us! Since my childhood, Greece's history has seemed like a (cheap) Western movie, one in which the Greeks were, always and unequivocally, the Good Guys. The Bad Guys were always changing. There was "the threat from the North," then from the East, then it was the North again, and back to the East. When I was a child, the word "Bulgarian" was a curse, more so than "Turk." It was forbidden for Greeks in northern Greece to design themselves as "Macedonian." "Albanian" then had a neutral tone; today it's become a threat.

Sooner or later we need to free ourselves from this Balkan mindset. That in which, in the words of the writer Fred Reed, "one man's national martyr is another's war criminal, where one country's founding myth is another's tale of woe and usurpation." Here, the ideological exploitation of history has become state-of-the-art. I was amazed to realize, on reading the history books of West European nations, that there are histories that aren't based on competition and enmity, that don't indulge in nationalism and hate. Where neighbors are even regarded with sympathy.

The One & Only "National" Issue

I don't consider the Aegean or the Macedonian issues "national issues." Nor even the economy and public administration problems.
    For me, the one and only national issue is the one posited by poet Dionysios Solomos: The nation must equate the national with the true. If this isn't done (and it can't be achieved from one day to the next-it requires years of effort, mainly in education) then we won't be able to stand up in today's world. We'll always be in a limbo between whining and belligerence. We'll spend billions-in blood and sweat-on useless armaments. We'll continually be quarreling with our neighbors, and with the whole world. We'll see paranoid schemes and conspiracies everywhere. Like a sick, maladjusted person, we'll spend our lives wavering between hysteria and depression.

Who will dare to teach Greeks the truth about their history? (Including, for example, the aforementioned pogroms...). About the history, and culture, of their neighbors? Who will dare to teach them the truth about certain "national issues" (like the FIR Athinon, our irrational airspace)? When will Greeks succeed in seeing themselves as they really are: a nation like all the others, with abilities and weaknesses, with talent (often more than this land can hold), and insecurities, capable of both generosity and meanspiritedness.

Beyond the overhaul of the economy, I preach the revamping of our attitudes. Am I really an anti-Hellene? Or do I love Greece? The future will decide.

No need to sit in the shade, because we stand under our own sun
  • TrueMacedonian
    • Jan 2009

Foreign "Philhellenes" uncovered our ancient monuments, and it was they who taught us to believe that we were the immediate successors to the ancients, responsible for the continuation of their traditions. The Romioi of the 18th century didn't feel Greek-much less of the ancient variety. They were a Balkan nation, originating from the admixture of many races and cultural traditions, with their own attitudes and ways of thinking. Out of the blue, the Western "Philhellenes" (and their mimics, our own "scholars") stuck a helmet on their head, dubbed them keepers of the ancient flame, and injected them with a passion for purity.
    Imagine one of his countrymen reading this and they must be thinking??? It would probably be accurate to use this emoticon
    Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Daskalot
      • Sep 2008

Dimou is a very brave man for standing up to the Greek hypocrisy.
      Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

Dimou sums it up quite well, this part is worth nothing:
        It was forbidden for Greeks in northern Greece to design themselves as "Macedonian."
        'Greeks in northern Greece' in this respect meaning Greek citizens. Something that Macedonians have been claiming all along, given that this policy was specifically aimed at them, for, there were no 'ethnic' Greeks in Macedonia claiming a Macedonian identity.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

I have corresponded with him privately.
          He is a gentleman of the highest order.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

You know, there is no expectation that there be a complete consensus for all historical matters, this will never be achieved, not just between Macedonia and Greece but by most other countries in the world. Go ask a Hungarian his opinion about the Romanians and see how it differs from the latter, speak to a Turk about the origins of the Bulgars and watch the latter throw his arms up in protest, to not say anything of the opposing historical views of Albanians and Serbs. Does the Turk still call the Bulgar, a Bulgar? Do Italians claim Albania due to its Latin name? Do the Iranians claim the Serb name for themselves?

Not long ago I read a comment by some modern Greek where he asks, "if it wasn't for Alexander, would you guys even care about the name of your country"......They should ask themselves this question, for, were it not for the glorious achievements of Alexander and his Macedonians, the Greeks would not give Macedonian history a second thought. The Greek language spread as a by-product of the Macedonian campaign, led by kings and people that the contemporary Greeks wanted to destroy. Even a whisper of Alexander's death was enough for Greece to unite against the Macedonian conqueror, so much for the glory of 'Hellenism'. But what does that have anything to do with the artificial dispute currently in existence? Nothing.

We are in the 21st century!

If a Greek, a Macedonian, an Italian and a German were to coincidentally attend the same meeting, the last three would habitually go ahead with the task at hand, while chances are that the Greek would be thinking about the Macedonian the whole time, like some psycho. What a terrible burden it must be for a Greek!

We are Macedonians, they are Greeks. It cannot be any clearer. The lies will all be exposed as time goes by, we will ensure that.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
              If a Greek, a Macedonian, an Italian and a German were to coincidentally attend the same meeting, the last three would habitually go ahead with the task at hand, while chances are that the Greek would be thinking about the Macedonian the whole time, like some psycho. What a terrible burden it must be for a Greek!
              Very well said!
              Risto the Great
              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Daskalot
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post

We are Macedonians, they are Greeks. It cannot be any clearer. The lies will all be exposed as time goes by, we will ensure that.
                What you say SoM is very correct I have witnessed this hands on on several occasions.
                It is like something is eating them up from the inside, they just must pop the question and enter into a futile debate with me..... :rmacedonia
                Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

Good point Som,One other thing is people focus on Alexander & his conquests but forget afterwards the anti- macedonian wars that greece waged on macedonia.They were aimed at destroying macedonia totally.
                  George S.
                  "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                    • Aug 2009

We need more people like Dimou,the more we have the better.I wonder what it will take to tople the greek govt's stance on macedonia & it's name.I think we need the support of people like that & the world at large has to know the truth & to care enough to do something.
                    George S.
                    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                    X