X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueMacedonian
    • Jan 2009

J.B. Bossuet, inventor of the term 'Hellenistic'

Considering we know that Droysen created the term 'hellenism' ,which was later used as propaganda by the likes of Paparrigopoulos, and what it meant- and that the German Science of Antiquity created the Hellenic civilization as we know it it should come as no surprise that the term 'Hellenistic' was not termed by a "hellene" but by a frenchman. Not that it should really matter in the end but it is just another case of dubious terminology that meant something else at another time rather than what it is used for today.
    Last edited by TrueMacedonian; 03-27-2009, 10:16 AM.
    Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Interesting point made TM. I have never been perturbed by the expression due its suggestion of a temporary and non exact nature. But to see even this term being diluted even further is yet another "slaying" of Greek mythology.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

It would be interesting to know how writers did refer to this age or period (if at all) prior to the Frenchman conjuring the "Hellenistic" term.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Daskalot
        • Sep 2008

Modern Greekness has been applied to anicent and medieval history post mortem by Hellenophiles of all trades.
        Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Pelister
          • Sep 2008

In his book "Macedonian Imperialism and the Hellenization of the East", Pierre Jougeut makes a case in the tradition of Iscorates that education and citizenship of a city are the two elements that defined who is a hellene. This is of course another Western author, defining the identity of someone several thousand years ago.

He argues (page 73) that if Aleksandar's intention had been to educate people in Greek, and found cities in the Greek tradition with citizens, then he led Hellenism. (Incidently, he makes a case on page 68/9 that the Macedonians were not Greeks).

Jougeut says on page 73 that the East was "opened to Greek colonization", and that he "extended Greece into Asia".

I have always thought he fought the Greeks every step of the way, and that Greek communities were actually already quite widespread throughout Persia, Egypt and to be found as far as Bactria.
          Last edited by Pelister; 12-13-2009, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X