Macedonian Truth Forum   

Go Back   Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian Truth Forum > General Discussions

Old 06-13-2021, 10:33 PM   #1841
Soldier of Macedon

Soldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlin View Post
Looks like Arnautovic (who is an ethnic Serb) got into it with Alioski. Apparently, his "comments" were directed at Alioski: "jebem ti majku siptarsku".
As soon as he scored the goal he turned to Alioski and began to shout aggressively. The camera angle during that moment of the game didn't show if Alioski said something as Arnautovic glided past him before scoring the goal. It's possible, because the response by Arnautovic didn't appear to be random. Or it could just be that he was returning the gesture of the two Swiss players when they beat Serbia during the 2018 World Cup. Watching him shout right after, it does look as if he is saying what you quoted above. As for the game, Austria was more dominant but Macedonia held its own until the last 15 or so minutes. Then they crumbled. Too much mucking about in the midfield and near their own penalty area, and not enough crossing and deep passes into the forward area. They needed at least a draw in that game. Next they play Ukraine who barely lost to Holland, the best team in the group. Lastly, they play against Holland. Anything is possible, but it is an uphill battle for Macedonia.

Some other observations. Everything on Macedonian TV was Macedonia this, Macedonia that, not a "north" in sight. Good on the one hand, too late on the other. Some of the players were interviewed (by what appeared to be a Macedonian reporter) before the match, one of the ethnic Albanians (Enis Bardhi) responded in Macedonian. Another (probably Arijan Ademi) responded in a different language. Ademi was born in Croatia so (if it was him) not sure if he responded in Croatian or Albanian, but it wasn't Macedonian. Then there was the debacle during the national anthem. I may be wrong, but from what I noticed, not a single ethnic Albanian on the pitch (of which I think there were four in the starting lineup) uttered a word during the anthem. These are all young men and it's as if they've been programmed to despise the country they play for. Some of them, like Ademi, probably only play for Macedonia because they couldn't make it in their country of birth or in the Albanian national team. Macedonia is merely a vehicle to further their careers.

Conversely, Elif Elmas, the Macedonian player of Turkish heritage who willingly chose to play for Macedonia rather than Turkey, did sing the anthem. I say, good for him. See clip at 55 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFk3cOLGBGo
Old 06-13-2021, 10:37 PM   #1842
Liberator of Makedonija

Liberator of Makedonija is on a distinguished road

SoM - have you noticed how the Macedonian diaspora praise Alioski whilst ignoring the fact he too refuses to sing the anthem? Never really followed the Macedonian team so I went into the Euros under the assumption Alioski was some proud Macedonian
Old 06-13-2021, 10:48 PM   #1843
Soldier of Macedon

Soldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
SoM - have you noticed how the Macedonian diaspora praise Alioski whilst ignoring the fact he too refuses to sing the anthem? Never really followed the Macedonian team so I went into the Euros under the assumption Alioski was some proud Macedonian
I guess some may have assumed that he is ethnically Macedonian because of the surname, but that incorrect assumption should've been clarified during the anthem. Alioski is a decent player and he had a lot of ball time during the game. But he doesn't give the impression that he is a proud Macedonian. I watched the game on MRT and the Macedonian commentator didn't say anything about how he (and the others) refused to sing the anthem. I found it utterly disrespectful.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:59 PM   #1844
Liberator of Makedonija

So is Alioski Albanian or something else?
Old 06-14-2021, 12:06 AM   #1845
Soldier of Macedon

He says he's ethnic Albanian. Apparently the below occurred in Prilep. Whether he is telling the whole story or not, who knows. If it did happened the way he says, it shouldn't have happened. But I find it hard to be sympathetic given his attitude towards the Macedonian anthem and his refusal to use the national language of the country he represents for that purpose, especially when on the world stage. It is simply inexcusable and the fact that he isn't being called out on it is pathetic.
Quote:
https://english.republika.mk/news/ma...g-in-albanian/

Alioski says he was kicked out of a restaurant in Prilep for speaking in Albanian

Macedonian and Leeds winger Ezgjan Alioski says he was not allowed into a restaurant in Prilep because he was speaking in Albanian with his family. I’m shocked by what happened in Prilep. I play in the Macedonian team, I came from England to be with my team, I was happy about it, and this is what happens. I do not hide that I’m an Albanian, I spoke with my relatives in my native tongue and a man approached me and told me to leave because of the language I was using. I’m speechless, Alioski said. Alioski was born in Prilep, and he is in Macedonia for the European Championship qualifiers against Poland and Austria.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:27 AM   #1846
Risto the Great

Risto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond repute

They shouldn't be in the team if they don't sing the anthem.

"Holding my breath for the revolution."
Risto the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:59 AM   #1847
Liberator of Makedonija

I do not quite understand why they play for Macedonia if they deplore it so much? As Albanians by origin, they do have the right to represent Albania instead (which some do). My only guess is they rather play for the superior team.

I have also seen photos from the game showing Anautović seemingly giving Alioski the Macedonian salute.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:24 AM   #1848
Soldier of Macedon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
I have also seen photos from the game showing Anautović seemingly giving Alioski the Macedonian salute.
I doubt it. More like he was making the "ok" sign with his hand to affirm a point.
Quote:
I do not quite understand why they play for Macedonia if they deplore it so much? As Albanians by origin, they do have the right to represent Albania instead (which some do). My only guess is they rather play for the superior team.
I don't think it has anything to do with being a superior team. FIFA ranks both Macedonia and Albania in the 60's. If anything, some of these ethnic Albanian players view Macedonia as inferior. The actual reasons are below. I wouldn't usually quote Wikipedia, but the sources are cited.
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enis_Bardhi

Bardhi desired to represent Albania, stating "I do not believe there is an Albanian born in Skopje, with Albanian families, who would not want to play for Albania".[9] Redi Jupi, who was appointed as scouting manager for the Albanian Football Association, never approached Bardhi or respond to Bardhi's managers call out. With Macedonia showing genuine interest and Bardhi viewing the FSHF handling of the situation and response as unprofessional, accepted the call-up for Macedonia.[9] However, Jetmir Salihu, a representative for the FSHF, dismissed Bardhi's claim, who unveiled all the messages between him and the player, replying that Bardhi was never interested to come to Albania in the first place.[10] He also accused the player of trying to damage the image of Albanian Football Association with the aim to be seen as hero to Albanian people, stating: "Since 2010 I've had hundreds of such cases, footballers that have refused the national team and at the end they came out with such statements because they want to make FSHF guilty so they can win the sympathy of Albanians."[10]
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arijan_Ademi

Ademi made his first international appearance for Croatia playing for the under-19 football team.......After Ademi was not picked for the 2014 FIFA World Cup squad in Brazil by coach Niko Kovač, he decided to play for Macedonia.[16] Kovač later changed his mind and tried to call him up after the tournament but Ademi refused as he had already given his word to Football Federation of Macedonia and hadn't wanted to break the besa.[17]
Probably the same deal with the other two that were in the starting lineup, where they either didn't make the cut to play for Albania and got into some sort of dispute with the FSHF. Perhaps there were other reasons, but not sure what they could be. Hard to imagine they would have chosen Macedonia out of any sense of pride or duty given that they don't even bother to sing the anthem.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:08 AM   #1849
Liberator of Makedonija

Fair points. Will we ever see an Albanian Macedonian adorne the jersey with the same pride as someone like Elif Elmas? Probably not.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #1850
Carlin

Carlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud of

An article from Republika on this. Arnautovic apparently "has a running feud" with Alioski, according to the article.

Ethnic hatred is a possible motive in Arnautovic’s outburst against Alioski

URL:
https://english.republika.mk/sport/e...ainst-alioski/

The match between Macedonia and Austria at the European Championship included several heated moments, but none like the incident at the end when Austrian player Marko Arnautovic shouted at Macedonia’s Ezgjan Alioski.

Arnautovic, who came as a substitute to score Austria’s third goal in the 3:1 win, apparently used expletives at Alioski and had to be restrained by Alaba. Many believe that Arnautovic was also using ethnically charged terms at Alioski, with whom he has a running feud.

Arnautovic is an ethnic Serb, while Alioski is an Albanian. It’s possible that the slurs used were along ethnic lines. Arnautovic also made the “ok sign”, which is increasingly seen as a racist symbol in the West, while in the Balkans it has various other, insulting connotations, but a version of which is sometimes also used as a Serbian nationalist symbol.
Carlin is offline   Reply With Quote