X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tomche Makedonche
    • Oct 2011

Dragi
    Re: Ozzy and Whitesnake - Like I posted previously Rhoads is my inspiration and Sykes was a machine (if you haven't already, check out my previous live clips if you want to see the legends at work, the clip I put of Randy is pretty much one of the only good live video recordings of him at work, Mr Crowley solo's are the one's to pay attention to, and for Sykes, to me his Crying in the rain solo is epic )

As for the Doors, hard to disagree with you there, definitely one of the all time greatest bands in general. Krieger deserves the spotlight as well, especially for the riff in Road house blues, instant all time classic. Spanish Caravan is probably the best example of his diversity but my favourite song would no doubt have to be L.A. Woman. It always puts me in a good mood and the tag team like structure between Morrison and Krieger through the verses is just quality, in one word: Awesomeness hehe

The Doors - L.A. Woman Official Video HQ - YouTube
    “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• DraganOfStip
      • Aug 2011

Tomche,
      Doors rule in every way.Their combination of guitar,drums and keyboard is unmatched till this day.LA woman is the culmination of that combination.Just listen to the part at 3:01-3:11,or especially the epic MR.MOJO RISIN' part,as the rhythm starts to pick up pace.Awesomeness in it's finest,that's all I can say...here's another classic from them,not so instrumental but the chanting of indians in the background RULES!

The Doors - My Wild Love - YouTube
      ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
      ― George Orwell

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
        • Oct 2011

Riste
        Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd – Two words “Free Bird”, what an outro solo, legendary!, only other outro solo that could fit in that same legendary category is the Eagles’ "Hotel California"…

Re: The Black Crowes – Definitely a top live rockin back, my favourite riff from their catelogue though would have to be Lickin’ (what is it with Les Paul’s that generates such Toggle Switch Fetishes?)

Black Crowes Lickin - YouTube
        “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
          • Oct 2011

Speaking of Deep purple, got to give the spotlight to Ritchie Blackmore as well, some of the riffs he’s created have become guitar dogma, Black Night is a personal favourite, but I’d love to have a statistic on the number of guitarists who learnt the following chord progression as their first ever riff

Phoenix take note, when you unwrap your axe and your thinking what could be the first thing I could have a go at playing? this could be a good option

Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water HD 1973 (Live in USA) - YouTube

Comment

• DraganOfStip
            • Aug 2011

@Tomche

Ian Gillan is arguably THE best vocal in rock history.I mean,many singers have tried to catch up his glass-shattering high tone screams in "Child in time" and failed.And totally agree with "Black Night",a memorable riff indeed.

@Phoenix

Try catching the tones from this tutorial of Metallica's "Creeping death" riff,a very ear-catching sound that makes you bang your head till it drops

Quick Licks - Metallica - Creeping Death - YouTube
            ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
            ― George Orwell

Comment

• DraganOfStip
              • Aug 2011

One of the greatest killer-riffs of all time.

Iron Maiden - Be Quick Or Be Dead (HQ HD Lossles) - YouTube
              ― George Orwell

Comment

• Phoenix
                • Dec 2008

Tomche and Dragan, thanks for the advice guys but I think I need to work on some fundamental skills, like fret finger dexterity before I even consider which iconic tune I'm going to butcher first up... lol

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

does anyone know where you could learn for free tostart playing acoustic on the net.This is where they teach you to play the basics.Ie struming etc.
                  "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Phoenix
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                    does anyone know where you could learn for free tostart playing acoustic on the net.This is where they teach you to play the basics.Ie struming etc.
                    There's heaps of resources George.
                    From various YouTube clips (free) to dedicated lesson sites (pay), as well as a variety of learning 'apps', e-books and traditional print media (books and magazines)...there's no shortage of resources.

Comment

• George S.
                      • Aug 2009

how you going have you started? on the casics?
                      Just a funny question what makes an artist on stage get their guitar during or after performing & bashes the crap out of it.What pleasure does one get.??
                      Last edited by George S.; 07-01-2012, 01:52 AM. Reason: ed
                      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Tomche Makedonche View Post
                        Riste
                        Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd – Two words “Free Bird”, what an outro solo, legendary!, only other outro solo that could fit in that same legendary category is the Eagles’ "Hotel California"…
                        The first time I saw the live Free Bird clip, I was a little kid over someone's place for New Years Eve. It was way before MTV and New Years Eve was the only time they played that much music in a row. I used to love it. Honestly, I was tiny and I was mesmerised. Sub-consciously it probably was a huge influence in my desire to play guitar.

Re: The Black Crowes – Definitely a top live rockin back, my favourite riff from their catelogue though would have to be Lickin’ (what is it with Les Paul’s that generates such Toggle Switch Fetishes?)
                        Great tune. Never heard it before. Yes, the fatness of a Les Paul together with that toggle, a recipe for disaster.
                        Risto the Great
                        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Risto the Great
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by DraganOfStip View Post
                          @Tomche

Ian Gillan is arguably THE best vocal in rock history.I mean,many singers have tried to catch up his glass-shattering high tone screams in "Child in time" and failed.And totally agree with "Black Night",a memorable riff indeed.
                          Awesome tune. I loved that as a kid. I saw Deep Purple in concert in the 1980's and Gillan relied on the delay/echo to keep that scream going. I felt a little disappointed to be honest.
                          Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

Speaking of Deep purple, got to give the spotlight to Ritchie Blackmore as well, some of the riffs he’s created have become guitar dogma, Black Night is a personal favourite, but I’d love to have a statistic on the number of guitarists who learnt the following chord progression as their first ever riff
                            Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water HD 1973 (Live in USA) - YouTube
                            Never seen this video before.
                            What a powerhouse of a band! Every musician a legend.

I didn't realise Gillan was such a handsome young fella in his youth. I saw them quite a few years later and they all looked very seedy by that stage.

I loved Rainbow (with Dio) just as much as Deep Purple when I was younger. Ritchie had that classical/blues thing which was quite unique for his time. We used to play Maybe I'm a Leo in a band I was in once upon a time. It was fun to play with a quirky time signature and it really opened up for the guitar solo ... good fun. As far as Deep Purple goes, the quintessential album is Machine Head in my mind.
                            Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                              • Sep 2008

Guys, I am convinced the South Park guys broke into my house and witnessed me doing something very much like this:

South Park Guitar Queer-O - YouTube
                              Risto the Great

Comment

• DraganOfStip
                                • Aug 2011

This day marks 41 years since the death of The Doors' Jim Morrison in the Paris hotel.In his honor one of their most memorable songs,a true blues classic.Glory to you,my man.

The Doors - Roadhouse Blues - YouTube
                                ― George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                                X