Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

A Macedonian friend of mine insisted I give Frank Marino from Mahogany Rush a listen. I have to admit I knew nothing about this guy. Apparently, every major band hated going on after this guy. What an awesome guitarist from Canada. I have no idea why he never received more respect for his abundant talent. Listen to him do a better version (yes, better because it is live and still awesome) than Jimi of All along the watchtower here:

Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• JPMKD
      • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
      A Macedonian friend of mine insisted I give Frank Marino from Mahogany Rush a listen. I have to admit I knew nothing about this guy. Apparently, every major band hated going on after this guy. What an awesome guitarist from Canada. I have no idea why he never received more respect for his abundant talent. Listen to him do a better version (yes, better because it is live and still awesome) than Jimi of All along the watchtower here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjAk4PeRX9c

What??? Frank Marino is great. Glad you found him. I'd suggest Tales of The Unexpected (Has a great version of Norweigen Wood).
      I was stoked to find this thread on here and don't know how I missed before.
      I'm still surprised Marino was unfamiliar. In that same vein of playing, are you all familiar with the late great Rory?
      This album was compiled from live recordings on a world tour November 1979 - July 1980

I play a little as well. I may actually get up the balls to post one day.
      One thing that was really cool and surprising was to find out:
      Risto Rocks! (and has been holding out on us).

He has his own pedal The RTG!

Last edited by JPMKD; 09-20-2018, 07:00 PM.
      Not a Northadonian

Comment

• JPMKD
        • Mar 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjAk4PeRX9c
        The guy is awesome. Saw him at Harpo's in Detroit many years ago. Cool thing is he does it all with an SG, not a Strat like Jimi or Stevie Ray
        Not a Northadonian

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by JPMKD View Post
          What??? Frank Marino is great. Glad you found him. I'd suggest Tales of The Unexpected (Has a great version of Norweigen Wood).
          I was stoked to find this thread on here and don't know how I missed before.
          I'm still surprised Marino was unfamiliar. In that same vein of playing, are you all familiar with the late great Rory?
          This album was compiled from live recordings on a world tour November 1979 - July 1980
          I must say, I rate Rory a fraction higher. I think his infusion of Celtic undertones along with his fierce attacking blues just makes his playing utterly exquisite.

I play a little as well. I may actually get up the balls to post one day.
          One thing that was really cool and surprising was to find out:
          Risto Rocks! (and has been holding out on us).

He has his own pedal The RTG!
          Please post your music. Always nice to leave something behind before we move in with Jimi and SRV upstairs.

Haha, I have seen that pedal. I was tempted to buy it for the sake of humour, but I think it sounds like ass and it has no use whatsoever (a bit like me sometimes)!
          Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

Cool thing is he does it all with an SG, not a Strat like Jimi or Stevie Ray
            I thought the same thing. To be fair, not many SG's with the 3xsingle coil format though.
            Risto the Great

Comment

• JPMKD
              • Mar 2016

I must say, I rate Rory a fraction higher. I think his infusion of Celtic undertones along with his fierce attacking blues just makes his playing utterly exquisite.

Please post your music. Always nice to leave something behind before we move in with Jimi and SRV upstairs.

Haha, I have seen that pedal. I was tempted to buy it for the sake of humour, but I think it sounds like ass and it has no use whatsoever (a bit like me sometimes)!
              I kinda thought the same thing on that pedal. A pedal to plug into my other pedals and turn the knobs???? Also totally agree on Rory. I'll need to finish up what I am working on to post. OTOH I have a relative who plays out in a band and does a little self-funded touring. I could PM a link to bandcamp or FB. Not sure I've contributed enough to spam the site

I thought the same thing. To be fair, not many SG's with the 3xsingle coil format though.
              I believe he does it with humbuckers.
              I can do a passable Bad Penny with my standard issue SG
              Last edited by JPMKD; 09-22-2018, 07:34 PM.
              Not a Northadonian

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Spam away!
                His (what looks to be mostly used) SG had 3 sings coils but am sure he would sound awesome with any guitar.
                Risto the Great

Comment

• JPMKD
                  • Mar 2016

Spam away!
                  His (what looks to be mostly used) SG had 3 sings coils but am sure he would sound awesome with any guitar.
                  Never really sunk in that he used singles. I had his stuff when I was younger. Juggernaut and Tales of the Unexpected are what I owned.
                  I'll work out some music I am working on. Total home ametuar stuff. But here's the band I mentioned. Heavy rock sound. Bass player is 1/2 Macedonian. I'm linking Bandcamp and Facebook. (Some scary stuff there, LOL)

I'd suggest starting with the song and EP Black Widow Woman. I like several off Modern Age too.

Kicking out the jams, The Natty D's hail from Billerica, MA and have been playing a signature mix of garage, blues, and psychedelic punk since 2012 with no clear end in sight Book us: [email protected]

Facebook.

The Natty D's. 1,089 likes. Rock and Roll Sleaze from North of Boston
                  Not a Northadonian

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Great stuff.
                    I enjoyed the Modern Age album.
                    Moments of the Doors meets Sabbath in a garage!
                    Good fun!
                    Risto the Great

Comment

• Amphipolis
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2014

I can't read or play music and I don't know anything about guitars. This guy is often considered the greatest pioneer rock guitarist in Greece. I'd be interested to hear a foreign opinion.

Comment

• JPMKD
                        • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                        I can't read or play music and I don't know anything about guitars. This guy is often considered the greatest pioneer rock guitarist in Greece. I'd be interested to hear a foreign opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvAM...w4pQ9w&index=1
                        He's definitely good. I can see why he has fans. I especially liked the stuff he was doing when the guy was singing. That was a cool lick/riff.
                        Way better than I can do of course. So not speaking as a player but as a fan of guitar music, I'd consider him entry level pro. I'd put him in a very good player category. Haven't heard enough to judge his writing skills. It wouldn't surprise me if I heard something by him I really liked.
                        Last edited by JPMKD; 09-22-2018, 06:09 PM.
                        Not a Northadonian

Comment

• JPMKD
                          • Mar 2016

Great stuff.
                          I enjoyed the Modern Age album.
                          Moments of the Doors meets Sabbath in a garage!
                          Good fun!
                          Sweet, I'll let them know.That's a good compliment. Someone else once said they were "Motorhead if they smoked weed instead of doing speed or Black Sabbath if they did speed instead if smoking weed" So there's a trend......
                          I asked before posting, they were like "Hell yeah we want fans from all over"

Within the next week I''l try to record a little of my playing just for grins. Maybe a mix of up some Sabbath, Rory, Cooper and few other things.
                          Last edited by JPMKD; 09-22-2018, 06:06 PM.
                          Not a Northadonian

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvAM...w4pQ9w&index=1
                            It's pleasant. He is very good in a Balkan kind of way. A lot of Bouzouki in his past I imagine. Very precise, didn't miss a beat. Just not next level stuff.

I would say Eric Johnson might be what he would aspire to. Melodic and precise:
                            Free Guitar Lessons: http://bestguitarsolos.net/free-guitar-lessons/For more amazing guitar solo's visit: http://bestguitarsolos.net"Cliffs of Dover" is an i...
                            Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                              • Sep 2008

I can't just blow wind up Canadian guitarist"s arses without acknowledging a true gift to humanity in this mind blowingly awesome Australian guitarist Tommy Emmanuel:

"Classical Gas" is a song originally composed by Mason Williams. Over the years, it has become a staple in Tommy Emmanuel's live performances. The other son...

Chet Atkins bestowed the title "CGP" on him. Certifed Guitar Player. Less than a handful have ever received the honour. Tommy deserves that and more.
                              Risto the Great

Comment

• JPMKD
                                • Mar 2016

I can't just blow wind up Canadian guitarist"s arses without acknowledging a true gift to humanity in this mind blowingly awesome Australian guitarist Tommy Emmanuel:

"Classical Gas" is a song originally composed by Mason Williams. Over the years, it has become a staple in Tommy Emmanuel's live performances. The other son...

Chet Atkins bestowed the title "CGP" on him. Certifed Guitar Player. Less than a handful have ever received the honour. Tommy deserves that and more.
                                That IS is a high honor. Ive never heard of him though. I'll watch it later after my Futbol American.....

Other good Canadians:
                                Rick Emmit from Triumph
                                Alex Lifeson from Rush, who is a Serb BTW. Was arrested in Florida anout 12 years ago as Alex Zivojinovich,.....(Lifeson).
                                Last edited by JPMKD; 09-23-2018, 12:05 PM.
                                Not a Northadonian

Comment

Working...
                                X