Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daskalot
    • Sep 2008

Come take a ride in Tito´s time Machine – Part 7 – Macedonia is for Republic

Come take a ride in Tito´s time Machine – Part 7 – Macedonia is for Republic

Risto Stefov

September 27, 2009

If we "must" believe that Josip Broz Tito (May 7, 1892 - May 4, 1980), the Yugoslav dictator, along with the Communists, "invented" the Macedonians then we must also believe that Tito possessed a "Time Machine" because in this series of articles we will show you that the Macedonians existed way before Tito´s time.

The next morning I was rudely awakened by a loud noise. Where am I, I wondered as I gazed directly into TrueMacedonian´s face, attempting to focus my eyes.

"What are you doing here so early in the morning?" True Macedonian demanded as he stood before me pounding his hands on the Delorean´s hood.

What if the car is still warm and he knows I have been using it for selfish reasons? I must tell him the truth, the whole truth or he will never trust me again.

I felt a terrible pain in my head as I attempted to stand up. The pain caused me discomfort which must have reflected on my face because TrueMacedonian asked me if I was okay. "I have a bit of a hangover," I said. "I must have been very thirsty when I stumbled across one of Tito´s half empty rakija bottles and drank it all down."

"That would explain your headache but hardly explain the hot engine under the Delorean´s hood," exclaimed TrueMacedonian.

"Well, I have been occasionally ´borrowing´ the time machine and doing solo missions of my own," I said.

TrueMacedonian did not take the news kindly. "Do you know how dangerous that is?" he asked loudly, with a sober face. "You could change the future if you are not careful, which would have devastating results for all of us you know!"

"But isn´t that what Tito and you guys are already doing?" I responded.

"You got me there!" he said as he pondered for a bit. "Okay you can use the time machine but I want to come with you," he said. "You know, to keep you company and more importantly, to keep you out of trouble," exclaimed TrueMacedonian.

"I would love nothing more than to have you by my side," I responded as I felt my spirits lift.

"It´s a deal then. After our last mission when Tito and the others leave this place you wait for me and I will return when the coast is clear," explained TrueMacedonian. "Now get into the trunk quickly because the others are coming!"

And with those words, ignoring the severe headache, I jumped into the Delorean´s trunk and made myself comfortable as TrueMacedonian waited for the others to arrive.

Tito seemed to be in a good mood this morning as he greeted TrueMacedonian with the usual "dobro utro". Without wasting any time he proceeded to set the time dials and pushed the time machine activation button. "We are going to Iowa, to August 23rd, 1945," he said and swish in seconds we were there. "Don´t forget to bring the box of chocolates and bouquet of flowers, I am going on a big date today," Tito exclaimed as the team departed for its first mission of the day.

Should I follow them, I wondered? No one will recognize me in 1945 if they saw me, except of course, TrueMacedonian. As I pondered my impulsive need to bolt out of the Delorean´s trunk, my rational side convinced me to reconsider. I didn´t want to further anger TrueMacedonian who so far has been more than kind to me and, as of this evening, will become my partner in ultimate mischief.

The next day I searched the papers frantically until I found the following;

"Macedonia Asks for Autonomy

One of Greatest Trouble Spots

SALONIKA, Greece, - Local patriots are reviving the old cry for autonomy for Macedonia, an ill defined area in the heart of the troubled Balkans.

Macedonia, which has not enjoyed a national sovereignty since the time of Alexander the Great, today is one of the greatest potential trouble spots in Europe.

The country is divided into three parts. It comprises a large part of Northern Greece and Southern Yugoslavia and a small section of Bulgaria. Gathered here are representatives of all the races and most of the hatreds and tensions which have kept the Balkan Peninsula upset for 50 years.

Greek-Yugoslav relations are strained along the common frontier which cuts through the wild mountains of Macedonia as a result of the depredation of political and bandit bands. Greeks say there is evidence of recruiting by irregular Macedonian forces. The autonomy campaign is in the open in Yugoslavia and Bulgaria and is underground in Greece.

Yugoslav Macedonia, formerly known as South Serbia, has been given a type of autonomy under Marshal Tito´s framework of federated Yugoslavia. This is a step in the direction the autonomists want, and agitation for union of all parts under a single government follows almost automatically.

Will be approved by Greece.

In the early days of liberation, the Yugoslav Macedonians attempted to name a foreign minister of their own. There was quick reaction from Belgrade, and Skopje, their capital was given a new set of government officials with strict instructions that foreign policy was the province of the central government.

Greeks look on any effort towards an autonomous Macedonia as a threat to take from them the rich farmlands of the north upon which the whole national economy depends.

Far from listening to the demands, Greece will probably seek at the peace conferences to extend her frontier northward.

Bulgaria gave lip service to the autonomy principle during the war years when her troops occupied much of Greek and Yugoslav Macedonia. But the real intention of the occupation troops, it became evident, was to Bulgarize the whole area. Many autonomists then joined the partisan resistance forces." (Council Bluffs Iowa, Nonpareil, Friday, August 24th, 1945, page 9)

Bravo Tito, you even managed to get your name in the paper. It must have been some date you had!

It was nice to see a happy Tito for a change as I heard his laughter from the distance while the team was returning from its first mission of the day.

"We are going to Sofia, Bulgaria, to November 7th, 1940," I overheard Tito say as the time machine swished its way to the next destination.

I had a hell of a time the next day locating the story, that is, until I ran into the following article in the Globe and Mail;

"Defenders Hold Balance, Metaxas Tells People

Sofia, Bulgaria, Nov 8 (BUP). – Primier Metaxas of Greece broadcast over the radio in Athens tonight that after ten days of Italo-Greek warfare the balance was in Greece´s favour.

The Greek radio said that British aid is flowing to Greece ´regularly and according to plan.´

Metaxas, addressing his remarks to the town of Volos after it had been bombed from the air, asserted that ´Italian methods will stir our people to fight even with greater recklessness and courage until the last battle is won.´

He declared Italy had resorted to ´mean, base methods´ by attacking civilian populations of open towns.

Metaxas said proof that the balance lay with Greece could be seen in the number of prisoners taken and the penetration of Albania. The Athens radio ´regretted´ that the Italians found Greek roads very bad and the weather inferior, asserting, however, that the Greeks have found them both good enough to advance as far as the heights above Koritza.

The broadcast denied vigorously Italian allegations that Macedonians had revolted against Greek rule, and rumors that prince Paul had been mistreated for supposed pro-German sympathies and had fled to Canada." (Globe and Mail, November 8th, 1940)

That clever Tito, he even had Metaxas, the biggest Macedonian hater, say the "M" word on the radio! How much more clever can you get than that?

The team was back and as quickly as it returned it was off again, this time to Callbran, Messa County, to Thursday, September 4th, 1924.

It took me forever to find the article the next day but here it is in full. It is pro-Bulgarian, if I may add, but nonetheless, covers the main points of the Macedonian message to the world;

"Macedonia is for Republic

Story of Conditions There Told by Emissary From the People.

New York. – A story of conditions in Macedonia, which he ascribes to Serb and Greek domination, has been brought to this country by J. Chkatroff, representative of the Union of the Macedonian Organizations of Bulgaria for the United States and Canada, who arrived here from Sofia recently. The Macedonians, he said, want complete independence and hope that ultimately there will be a Balkan republic, with all Balkan countries federated states.

Mr. Chkatroff said he represented approximately 450,000 Macedonians in Bulgaria, who are members of 94 fraternal organizations, 34 societies of youths, a score of benevolent associations and others. He expects to bring his message of Macedonian hopes to the 60,000 natives of that country in the United States.

´In order to understand the causes of the unruly situation in the Balkans and especially in Macedonia, the country which has always been the apple of discord among the Balkan neighbors, one must not forget her struggle for liberty and political independence during the period of the Turkish domination, and the present-day policy of her new conquerors, Serbs and Greeks,´ he said.

Many years ago the Macedonian people began a bloody revolutionary war, which has lasted already more than a quarter of a century, and this caused on several occasions the European chancelleries to move, and finally in 1912 the Balkan alliance was formed against the Turkish empire. Unfortunately, the first Balkan war, and the following fratricide among the Balkan allies culminating in the Treaty of Bucharest of 1913, instead of creating an independent Macedonia in accordance with the wishes of her people, and thus to establish a permanent peace in the Balkans, divided the country between the three belligerents, Serbia, Greece and Bulgaria. This actually made the Macedonian crisis worse.

Errors Are Kept Up.

The last European war which radically changed the map of Europe and which gave us the great principles of self-determination of Woodrow Wilson, did not bring to the Macedonian question its deserved political solution. Macedonia, at that time, was waiting day and night to see those principles applied to her people, so that the latter may be able to freely determine their wishes as to the future of their country. But the Treaty of Peace of Neuilly (1919) seconded the grave errors committed by the Treaty of Bucharest.

"It is true that the great victorious powers imposed upon the governments of Serbia and Greece a treaty for the protection of minorities, which was supposed to guarantee the minimum of political, civil and national rights of the Macedonians. This treaty has now become as valueless as a scrap of paper. The Serbian and Greek governments instead of creating a normal regime in Macedonia as soon as they reoccupied the country after the great war closed by force more than 1,400 Bulgaro-Macedonian schools with 80,000 pupils and more than 4,000 teachers, which were devotedly supported and financed by the local population; seized the Macedonian churches. Libraries and cultural institutions; burned all Bulgarian books and killed or banished from the country all of the Macedonian intelligentsia. Nor was the fate of our other compatriots, Turks and Rumanians, in Macedonia a better one. The heavy fetters of the Serbian and Greek tyranny are to be found today on the doors of the closed Rumanian and Turkish schools and public libraries in Macedonia.

In addition to this policy of the Serbian and Greek governments, which is directed against the moral and intellectual institutions of the Macedonian people, following the practice of former Turkish governments, they began to use new means and methods in order to artificially change the ethnographic character of the country; they resorted to a policy of colonization. Today Serbian and Greek authorities deport the native Macedonian population, plunder their property and distribute same among colonists brought from Banat and Asia Minor. To have an idea of the terrible picture one must visit the thousands of recently arrived refugees, flying from Macedonia into Bulgaria, a country economically poor, and see their tortured bodies burned with hot irons or boiling oil.

There are two further reasons which aggravate the situation in Macedonia. First, there is a Serbian and Greek administration, whose officers are alien to the people; notorious corruption and sheer force are the only rules in the country, and it seems that the whip is their constitution. One could find out proofs of this by reading Serbian and Greek newspapers. Secondly, the newly created political frontiers tore away the economic bonds between Macedonian cities and districts. Serbian Macedonia has no sea outlet and is gradually dying. Greek Macedonia has no "hinterland," while the remaining part of Macedonia – under Bulgarian authority – has neither sea nor any convenient land communications with the interior of that country, and for this reason, is in a worse condition. The principle economical and political center in Macedonia is Saloniki, which has all the advantages of prosperity, yet at present the city gradually, but certainly, is dying. Her people do not see any more the steaming boats, the commerce is dead and the merchants are leaving the town. Pathras and Pereas are rising on her ruins. Bitola, Prilep, Ochrid and many other towns are sharing the same fate.

Under such heavy conditions could the Macedonian people remain quiet? With their country torn into pieces could they forget the thousands of lives sacrificed for the liberty and independence of Macedonia, ever since the days of the Turkish regime? Who could deny the right of the Macedonian to struggle for existence? Who could forbid the Macedonians the fruit of their labors so that the latter may not be plundered by Serbian and Greek authorities and the Macedonian girls and brides may not be insulted by the same?

And the Macedonian did exactly as an American, Frenchman or an Englishman would have done. The whole people were frightened by the terror of the new tyranny and rose up to protest.

Banished from their own country, the Macedonians found refuge in Bulgaria, America, Turkey and Rumania, where they formed strong organizations whose aim is by legal means to obtain liberty for their country. The Macedonian emigrants in all lands, who number more than half a million souls, proclaimed their faith in the traditions of past generations and now appeal continuously to the human conscience of the civilized people in the world for the creation of Macedonia into a free country.

Old Revolutionary System.

Meanwhile in Macedonia proper, after denying the people all rights of carrying a legal political struggle or forming a national political group in the parliament of Belgrade and Athens, they resorted to the only possible action by creating anew the old secret revolutionary organization with its own postal service, courts, militia and efficiently armed military forces, with its own educational and economic policy – in other words, representing a true state organization, mysterious, yet powerful and democratic in spirit, whose ideals are the creation of an independent Macedonia with equal rights for all of her different nationalities, with Saloniki as her capital.

The Macedonians are neither brigands nor breakers of the laws governing public order and safety, when they are ready to sacrifice their lives for the triumph of their ideals, when they gladly go to die in order to defend their wives and children, when they calmly meet death in order to save Macedonia. And in their struggle for right and freedom the Macedonians hope that they may receive the support of all civilized nations and all liberty-loving people." (The Plateau Voice, Callbran, Messa County, Friday, September 5th, 1924, page 3)

No sooner was the team back than they left for the day without saying a word. I waited until it was quiet and then came out of the Delorean´s trunk. On the ground behind me I saw a piece of folded paper. It must be a message from TrueMacedonian. It read, "Urgent matter to attend to! Do nothing without me!"

The pro-Bulgarian article must have infuriated Tito, that´s why the team had to leave so early in the day. What other possible "urgent matter" could there be? I guess we won´t know until tomorrow!

Having nothing more to do there, I left for the night. There will be plenty more days for adventure.

To be continued.

Other articles by Risto Stefov:

Many thanks to TrueMacedonian from http://www.maknews.com/forum for his contribution to this article.

You can contact the author at [email protected]
    Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Daskalot
      • Sep 2008

Come take a ride in Tito´s time Machine – Part 8 – GREECE: MADE IN GERMANY

Come take a ride in Tito´s time Machine – Part 8 – GREECE: MADE IN GERMANY

Risto Stefov

October 07, 2009

If we "must" believe that Josip Broz Tito (May 7, 1892 - May 4, 1980), the Yugoslav dictator, along with the Communists, "invented" the Macedonians then we must also believe that Tito possessed a "Time Machine" because in this series of articles we will show you that the Macedonians existed way before Tito´s time.

Early the next morning I found TrueMacedonian waiting for me at the secret place where the Delorean was hidden. Even before I had a chance to greet him, the words, "What happened yesterday?" came out of my mouth! Wasting no time TrueMacedonian went on to tell me a long story about the Bulgarian and Greek involvement in the anti-Macedonian propaganda in the Diaspora. As he continued to talk, I decided to take notes particularly about the Greeks and their lies. In summary, this is what TrueMacedonian said;

"MODERN GREECE: MADE IN GERMANY

The new state did not attach itself to its immediate past, as it had been preserved in the popular memory, but rather adapted itself to the popular image of the ancient Greek past already created in the West. Otto's father, King Ludwig I of Bavaria, was obsessed with ancient Greece and brought up his children with the aspiration that one day one of them would reign over this glorious land (1).

The German obsession with the ancient Hellene city-states all began in the 18th century with a trickle through socialite circles and educational systems. Eventually this new cult of personality would take affect in the new land mass that would become known as Greece in 1821. In other words the Germans in effect created modern Greece and the modern Greeks on Romantic German Aryanist philology (2). It's the same Aryanism that Martin Bernal questioned in 1987 in which public passions were aroused by modern Greeks and scholars from around the world (3).

Writer Nikos Dimou stated the following in a recent NY Times interview;

"It´s the fault of a German," Mr. Dimou said about Greek pride in this cause. He was referring to Johann Winckelmann, the 18th-century German art historian whose vision of an ancient Greece "populated by beautiful, tall, blond, wise people, representing perfection," as Mr. Dimou put it, was in a sense imposed on the country to shape modern Greek identity. (4)

He also goes on to say;

"We used to speak Albanian and call ourselves Romans, but then Winckelmann, Goethe, Victor Hugo, Delacroix, they all told us, ´No, you are Hellenes, direct descendants of Plato and Socrates,´ and that did it. If a small, poor nation has such a burden put on its shoulders, it will never recover." (5)

What eventually led to the wide-spread phenomenon of these Aryanist values was through the Science of Antiquity a school where the study of classical civilization forged the discipline of the fictional Hellenic model. Scholar Stathis Gourgouris wrote the following in his book Dream Nation;

"In practical terms, however, the historical absurdity of declaring Hellenic civilization the expression of a culture uncontaminated by foreign elements can be explained by a simple fact that usually tends to be disregarded - namely, that Hellenic civilization as we know it was in fact the invention of the ´Science of Antiquity´, of classics. As such it could have been (and was) endowed with whatever signification the discipline found useful." (6)

With western help modern Greece won its independence and was put under Bavarian monarchical rule under the newly crowned King Otto, King Of Greece.

If we go back in time to a place called Athens before it was made into the new "German made" kingdom what would we find hanging around the ruins? According to Edmond About close to the mid-nineteenth century "Athens, twenty five years ago, was only an Albanian village" and that "Athens has been rapidly peopled with men of all kinds of nations". He also goes on to say; "The Turkish village which formerly clustered round the base of the acropolis has not disappeared; it forms a whole quarter of the town....an immense majority of the population of this quarter is composed of Albanians." (7)

Eventually the new Bavarian monarchy would remedy this situation in not just Athens but all of "German made" Modern Greece. The Albanians of Athens and whatever else the other rabble of races was did not fit the mold of what Wincklemann's fantasy manifested in Germany and Western Europe. In 1834, it was decided to make Athens the new capital of the Kingdom of Otto's Greece. A German architect, Schaubert, was employed to create wide streets, the squares, the boulevards: and so Athens, which in 1834 was a village of 5,000 inhabitants had become in 1936 a city of over four hundred and fifty thousand (8). In essence we see that Germans literally created Modern Greece from the ground up. But Athens was only one area.

What about Sparta?

According to our source, Edmond About, "New Sparta is a creation of King Otto, who has formed the useless project of resuscitating all the great names of Greece." (9) Of course Sparta was at one time not only an Albanian stronghold but a major settlement for the Slavic tribes that entered the Balkans in the 6th century AD. Traveler Peter Edmund Laurent made his way through Slavo-Sparta before the war for independence broke out. He said; "From their manners, their features, and the names of many of the neighboring places, I should be tempted to regard them as proceeding from Sclavonian blood: many travelers pretend, however, to have discovered in these barbarous hordes traces of a Spartan origin. (10).

We can see why King Otto wanted to create New Sparta. Because Slavo-Sparta did not fit the Aryan German Hellenic ideal with all its Slavic place-names and uncouth manners.

But re-creating a dead ancient civilization from the ground up was not the only task King Otto had in mind. The Bavarian masters had the church of Greece declared independent from the ecumenical church of Constantinople. The newly found church of Greece was from the beginning a prisoner of the autocratic, Bavarian ruled Greek state (11).

According to historian William St. Claire German Made Greece "was essentially a Bavarian colony. (That Greece Might Still Be Free)

1-Discourses of Collective Identity in Central and Southeast Europe (1770-1945) Volume II, page 308, written by Mary Kitroeff, edited by Balazs Trencsenyi and Michael Kopecek

2 & 3-Cultural Intimacy: Social poetics in the nation-state, pages 106-07, by Michael Herzfeld

4 & 5- Elgin Marble Argument in a New Light By MICHAEL KIMMELMAN Published: June 23, 2009 NY Times - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/24/arts/ ... q=Albanian Marbles&st=cse&scp=1

6- Dream Nation, page 134, by Stathis Gourgouris

7- Greece and the Greeks of today, pages 32 and 160, by Edmond About

8- In the Steps of St.Paul, page 304, by H.V. Morton

9- Greece and the Greeks of today, pages 21-22, by Edmond About

10- Recollections of a Classical tour, page 182, by Peter Edmund Laurent

11- Salonica Terminus, page 43, by Fred A. Reed

As he continued to tell tales, I had to rudely interrupt him at the sight of Tito and the others appearing around the corner. "We will talk later," were the last words TrueMacedonian said to me before I hopped into the Delorean´s trunk impatiently waiting for Tito´s next destination.

Without saying a word to TrueMacedonian, Tito hopped aboard the Delorean and set the time dials for 1934. "We are going to Reno, Nevada, to June 25th, 1934." And with those words he pushed the activation button and swish in seconds we were there. Sure enough the mission was a success because the next day I found the following article;

"THE CULT OF ALEXANDER

IT IS not only Mussolini who is harking back to the ancient Romans for a means of inspiring modern Italy, or Hitler who turns to the old-time Teutons to give a model for the modern German. Greece begins to realize that it has heroes of its own and now General George Condylis, minister of War at Athens places his candidate for adulation before the descendents of the old Hellenes. It is no less a person than Alexander the Great.

Condylis proposes to erect the ideal of Alexander into a real cult. A statue is to be raised to him at once in Athens, lectures have been organized at the university and schools, and the Alexandrian tactics and conquests are being studied as a means of giving the modern Greek some conception of what it meant to be one of his nations 2200 years ago.

Which is all very well, but the truth is that the ancient Greeks scarcely admitted Alexander to be one of their blood. He was a Macedonian. The Athenians fought against allowing his father to enter their territory and the orations against Philip delivered by Demosthenes are regarded today as the most magnificent specimens of oratory. They have given a name to denunciatory speeches – Philippics. Alexander, it is true, overcame all this but he had to conquer the real Greeks to do it. His phalanx was a Macedonian phalanx and not a Greek one. His lieutenants and successors were Macedonians and not Greeks, although they spoke Greek and worshipped Greek gods. And as for Macedonia, it is even yet an uncertain possession either of Greece or Bulgaria. It still tries to be independent." (Reno Evening Gazette, Reno Nevada, Thursday, June 26th, 1934, page 5)

Bravo Tito and the team! I know TrueMacedonian would not agree with the wording of this article, particularly the "implied" connection between the so-called "ancient Greeks" and the modern ones. I can just hear TrueMacedonian saying "There are no modern Greeks never mind being related in any way, shape or form to the so-called ancient Greeks. The modern Greeks are a modern philhellene manifestation. They are fakes and should have never been called Greeks. A better name for them would have been Arvanitovlachs, because that´s what they are!"

The team was back in no time and went off again, this time to Newark, Ohio, to May 31st, 1939.

Their mission was hardly worthwhile because the newspaper that was expected to carry a fantastic story only wrote the following;

"GREEK CHURCH PLANS SERVICES

Service next week in the Roumanian church, of the Greek Orthodox faith, was announced today. Service will be held Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 9 a.m. and Sunday at 8 a.m. in the church at Wirlwood and Poplar avenues. In addition to morning session, a service will be held on Thursday at 6 p.m.

Rev. D. Justremicean of Detroit will conduct the services.

It was announced that all Rumanians, Macedonians, Greeks, Bulgarians and Serbians are invited to attend." (The Advocate, Newark, Ohio, April 1st, 1939, page 3)

Bravo Tito and the team, yet again you managed to put together a story with the word "Macedonians" in the same sentence as the words "Greeks", "Serbians" and "Bulgarians". This is no April fools joke! Macedonians in Newark, Ohio? I though "Macedonians" were "geographical" creatures, as some Greeks incessantly continue to claim, so why are they still called "Macedonians" in Ohio? Ah I get it! The preacher was inviting "ethnic Rumanians", "geographical Macedonians", "ethnic Greeks" and "ethnic Serbians" to his service. How silly of me!

The team was back again and ready for their last mission of the day. Tito announced the next destination and off we went.

The next day I found the results of this mission in the following story;

"BANDS OF GREEKS TERRORIZE MACEDONIANS

Yugoslav Charges

Allegations in Yugoslav newspapers that bands of Greek left wing guerrillas, under the command of General Zervas are making terror attacks against Macedonians have given rise to fears that international complications maybe in the making, says Associated Press Belgrade correspondent, - AAP." (The Argus, Melbourne, Australia, Wednesday, June 27, 1945, page 1)

Many hours had passed as I awaited the team´s return, which by now was way overdue. I couldn´t imagine what the delay could have been?

More hours passed and still no sign of them. By now it was dark and even if nothing was wrong, it was too late for the team to return. I did not dare move so I made myself comfortable in the Delorean´s trunk, preparing to spend the night there.

To be continued.

Many thanks to TrueMacedonian from http://www.maknews.com/forum for his contribution to this article.

You can contact the author at [email protected]

Comment

• Daskalot
        • Sep 2008

Come take a ride in Tito’s time Machine – Part 9 - Macedonian League

Come take a ride in Tito’s time Machine – Part 9 - Macedonian League

By Risto Stefov

October 11, 2009

If we “must” believe that Josip Broz Tito (May 7, 1892 - May 4, 1980), the Yugoslav dictator, along with the Communists, “invented” the Macedonians then we must also believe that Tito possessed a “Time Machine” because in this series of articles we will show you that the Macedonians existed way before Tito’s time.

As I was rudely awakened by a metallic sound and a sudden flash of light, I felt stiffness in my neck and back and had a hell of a headache when the Delorean’s trunk burst open and bright light flooded the narrow, shallow chamber. “Water, water,” were the first words I uttered involuntarily as I attempted to focus my eyes on TrueMacedonian staring down at me. “Please help me out, I am stiff as a board and have one big headache,” I explained as he offered his hand to pull me out. The next thing I remember was gulping down liquid from his bottle of water.

“It’s morning the next day,” TrueMacedonian explained without me having to ask. “We came back late last night and Tito insisted we all go home together for our safety so forgive me for leaving you in the trunk. I suspected you were asleep so I figured you would be safe until morning.”

“So what happened?” I asked. “What delayed you?”

“Well, it’s a bit embarrassing to say really, but let’s say that Tito had a ‘prolonged’ date with one of his female friends who kept us busy way into the wee hours of the night.
        Please stretch your legs now, go behind those bushes and let’s get you back in the trunk before the others arrive. Here, I will leave you some food in the trunk so that you won’t starve,” TrueMacedonian instructed as I made my way towards the bushes.

I did as he asked and was back in the trunk just as the others were arriving around the corner.

“I know you all didn’t get much sleep last night but that should not be an excuse for not doing your jobs professionally,” bellowed Tito as he boarded the Delorean. I guess this was his way of “greeting” the team.

“This morning we are going to Massillon, Ohio, to Sunday, May 26th, 1935! Look alive,” Tito commanded as he set the time dials and pushed the activation button.

Hmm, Sunday, it must be a special mission I thought, having no idea how special it would be until I read the next day’s newspaper, “The Evening Independent”;

“Macedonians to have convention

The Macedonian People’s league will hold its fifth annual convention at the German-American hall. 834 Grant St., Akron. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
        Approximately 100 delegates representing 36 groups in the United States and Canada with a membership of 1,200 will attend. Activities of the League will be discussed and a concrete plan for future campaigns in support of the struggle of the Macedonian people for a free Macedonia will be worked out.
        Thursday, the central committee will give out its annual report. That evening at 8 o’clock a banquet in honor of delegates and guests will be held. One of the features of the convention will be a mass demonstration from Perkins square to Pleasant park against the national and social oppression of the Macedonian people by the governments of Yugoslavia, Greece and Bulgaria, Sunday at 2 p.m. Besides the delegates and guests, many Akron workers and immigrants from the Balkan organizations will take part in the demonstration. Prominent speakers will have addresses.”
        (The Evening Independent, Massillon, Ohio, Monday, May 27, 1935).

Macedonian People’s league? I thought Macedonians did not exist before 1945. Was this an “ethnic” Macedonian People’s league or a “geographical” one? What do you say Greeks?

Looking a bit lethargic the team returned and hurriedly left for its next mission. This time they went to New York, to 1940. The next day the following article appeared;

“Macedonian League Urges its Members to back U.S. Defense

Buffalo, Sept. 3. – Americans of Macedonian descent are urged in a resolution of the Macedonian People’s League of the United States.
        The resolution, adopted at the closing session of the League’s annual convention yesterday, also favors support for the national defense program ‘as long as it does not encourage fighting abroad’.
        Snearie Voyeanoss, Pontiac, Mich., was reelected national chairman, and Garry, Ind., was chosen for the 1940 meeting.
        Other officers are George Pirinsky, Detroit, Mich., national secretary; Dr. George Popoff, Buffalo, Michael Jovaehess, Detroit, Mich., William Popoff, Garry, Ind., Thomas Tavgos, Massillon, O., and William Goushiess, Mediscon, Dl., directors.”
        (Syracuse Herald Journal, Tuesday, September 3rd, 1940)

“Oh my they are back so quickly,” was my reaction when the team returned but more surprising was my reaction when I heard Tito say that they were actually going to ‘Athens’ next. To Athens? Isn’t that like entering the bear’s den?

I didn’t realize what Tito was up to until I read the following article the next day;

“GREEK ARMS

FLORINA OCCUPIED

AN AMBUSH

(Received November 22, 10 a.m.

Athens, 21st November.

The Greeks under the Crown Prince have occupied Florina (15 miles south-south-east of Monastir), intercepted the retreat of the Monastir army’s rear guard.
        Greek, Bulgarian and Servian officers at Salonika are warmly fraternizing.
        Public fetes are being held.
        Eight hundred wounded have arrived here from Salonika.
        A Russian cruiser has hastily sailed for Jaffa in consequence of reported massacres of Christians.
        A band of Macedonians ambushed 500 Turkish regulars in the Janina district, killing twenty four and wounding seventy seven. The rest fled.”
        (The Evening Post, Volume LXXXIV, Issue 125, November 22, 1912, page 7)

Nicely done team, you got a reporter to say “Macedonians” in the middle of Athens. Wow!

Being tired from lack of sleep the night before, Tito decided to give the team a break and called it quits a bit earlier than usual. I think it was more like Tito himself was tired and did not want to fall asleep and look unprofessional on the job.

“See you all tomorrow same time,” were the last words I heard from Tito, which told me that the team was going home. I couldn’t see my watch in the dark trunk so I waited a while until I was sure everyone was gone before I clipped the trunk door open. Wow, it was only 1 p.m. so I figured I would mosey along and go home when I heard footsteps approaching fast and heavy breathing coming my way. It was TrueMacedonian. He was truly back and in a hurry. Several days ago he promised me that he would return and here he was.

“I am so sorry I could not make it back the other days, things kept coming up and I had to postpone my return, but I am here now,” explained TrueMacedonian as he tried to catch his breath. “Tonight we are going to rock the universe, you and I,” he proudly announced.
        “What did you have in mind?” I asked.
        “How about we just talk tonight because I am very tired and will most likely fall asleep and probably fall off the time machine and get lost in time,” answered TrueMacedonian.
        “You got it,” I said “What’s on your mind?”

“First, let me clarify something here,” he said. “This is not just a time machine this is a time machine and a matter-energy tele-transporter. This device will take you to the year you want to go and will tele-transport you to the location you want to go,” explained TrueMacedonian as he pointed at the controls on the dashboard of the Delorean.
        “It sounds to me like a marriage between H. G. Wells and Gene Roddenberry,” I interceded.

“Exactly!” TrueMacedonian pointed out. “Now that we have all that sorted out, I would like to go home, if you don’t mind, and get some sleep. But before I do I would like to leave you with something, something that may shock you,” said TrueMacedonian!

“You have my undivided attention,” I answered as my curiosity peaked right off the curiosity meter scale!

“The time machine is not real, and Tito did not create the Macedonians,” explained TrueMacedonian. “We have been brainwashed by the Greeks to believe this crap so that they can distract us from finding the truth.”
        “And what is the truth?” I asked.

“The truth is that Macedonians have always existed and are living in Greece today. Do you think Tito created those Macedonians? Did you know that these Macedonians have absolutely no human rights? The Greeks who are not even real Greeks, I will tell you more about that another time, in 1912 and 1913 invaded, occupied and annexed Macedonia illegally by war, kicked out as many Macedonians as they could, killed a lot of them, burned their homes and entire villages and forced the rest to become Greeks. Ever since then the Greeks have been abusing the Macedonians, changing their names, taking away their lands, discriminating against them and prohibiting them from speaking their language. And if that was not enough they prohibited them from calling themselves Macedonians and claimed no Macedonians ever existed. All Macedonian family names, toponyms, hydronyms, etc. were changed to remove all traces of the Macedonians. They even gave the Macedonians Greek sounding personal names and prohibited them from baptizing their children with traditional Macedonian names. But when they could no longer keep a lid on the Macedonians, the Greeks claimed that Tito somehow ‘magically’ created them.

What I am telling you is real, it is the truth, the rest is a façade designed to waste our time in trying to prove the obvious. Of course Macedonians exist but whether they exist or not, it should not be a matter for anyone except for the Macedonians themselves to decide. Only Macedonians can decide whether Macedonians exist or not, not their enemies the Greeks, Bulgarians and others.

As you very well know, the Greeks have illegally invaded, occupied and annexed Macedonian lands, 51% to be precise. They have taken Macedonian peoples’ lands by force and without paying for them, which is unheard of anywhere else in the world, and now they will do anything; lie, cheat, discriminate and even claim Macedonians do not exist, to hide the truth and their crimes. This is real! What I am telling you is real, it is the truth.

There is a greater purpose that must be served, that we need to serve and that is to highlight the fact that Macedonians living in Greece today don’t even have the most basic of human rights. For God’s sake, they are not even allowed to call themselves Macedonians or speak their language; the language they learned from their mothers! What could be worse than that? And because they are Macedonians the Greeks discriminate against them even more and hate them because the Greeks know some day these Macedonians will be asking for their lands back. These lands have been given away and the only way to compensate for them will be to pay for them. And who is going to pay for them? Greece? Greece is broke. The burden will have to fall on European shoulders. No wonder Europeans hate us. They hate us because of what they have done to us, allowing Greece to abuse us for over a century. They should hate Greece, but Greece is their child, something they created in the 19th century, something we need to discuss in more detail later. Now I am getting very tired and need to go home and get some sleep. See you tomorrow.”

And with those words, TrueMacedonian left for home, leaving me with a lot to think about.

Comments from our readers:

Zdravo Risto i dragi sorabotnici

If we must believe we have to engage in any old rubbish about who "invented" the Macedonians with any of our appalling opponents, especially the Greeks, let me run some thoughts past you I have had of late and also what I think about the Tito thesis:

If Tito could have created a "Macedonian ethnic group" with a Macedonian language and history he was or is probably as good as any saint or miracle worker in the best religions of the world. So, let me repeat what I once proposed to our Greek friends on a moronic blog site when I was still naïve and believed that the Internet could be a force for deliberative democracy: the Greeks should build and have consecrated by the Patriarch in Istanbul (no longer Constantinople, alas, for the day in 1453) a holy cathedral. Now this cathedral should be built in Greek-occupied Macedonia (Let us never forget since 1913) in honour of Saint Josip Broz Tito who performed the miracle of creating an ethnic group called "Macedonian". The reason for the "Greeks" (who "created" them, by the way?) consecrating such a cathedral "our Dedo" in historical Macedonian territory is that Modern Greeks can pray to Saint J B Tito with their usual fervour for a “Macedonian” ethnic group to be delivered to them which speaks Greek! (Incidentally, the fact that Tito was a communist and an atheist who used the excuse for his policies "Narodot" rather than "Boga" is just a point of historical detail-a saint must make the most of his opportunities.)

If anyone really wants to know who "created" the Macedonians let them consider the following line of argument: Aristotle the philosopher (384-322 BC) born in Stageira in the ancient kingdom of Macedonia had his mental or psychic structure formed by a Macedonian upbringing of the time. He became learned in every area of human knowledge in the Attic language (not called "Greek" at the time) in the city state of Athens. He has been the most extraordinary and most influential thinker in European civilization and beyond. Aristotle's thought and writings were rescued by brilliant Arab philosophers like Averroes, Avicenna etc., and his influence came into the medieval world via the Arabic language, then Latin, Spanish Castilian, etc., so he was a universal genius that could speak to humanity in all languages. His basic view was intellectualist: that through the use of reason human beings could find happiness. And yes, he was a Macedonian, not an Athenian, and I would choose him as my model rather than Alexander the Great and not just because I happen to have been born about 150 kilometers from Stageira in the middle of the 20th century. (Incidentally, Alexander the Great died at the age of 32 of alcoholic poisoning because the Macedonians and the "Greeks" were not convinced that he should be worshipped as a god - an idea about kingship that he keenly adopted from the more profound and complex cultures he had conquered in the East).

I think it is important to remind ourselves that the real world beyond the Balkan nationalistic propaganda fantasyland does not care about who the real descendants are from the "cradle of culture". So shoulder to the wheel let us again speak of the key priorities: human and national rights for the Macedonians in 2009. The justice and freedom that they are entitled to at present and should be striving for are not even remotely connected to issues concerning antiquity or even Sveti Dedo Tito.

Although, I do commend the unmasking of the claptrap and hocus pocus of the nationalists-it is the positive stuff that should be fore grounded rather than the lies that every nation feels obliged to tell to bolster itself up as a legitimate entity.

Jim T.

To be continued.

Comment

• Daskalot
          • Sep 2008

Come take a ride in Tito’s time Machine – Part 10 - Macedonians Executed

Come take a ride in Tito’s time Machine – Part 10 - Macedonians Executed

By Risto Stefov
          [email protected]
          October 18, 2009

If we “must” believe that Josip Broz Tito (May 7, 1892 - May 4, 1980), the Yugoslav dictator, along with the Communists, “invented” the Macedonians then we must also believe that Tito possessed a “Time Machine” because in this series of articles we will show you that the Macedonians existed way before Tito’s time.

As I turned the corner towards the “hiding place” the next morning, I could see TrueMacedonian from the distance pacing back and forth, preoccupied with his own thoughts. “Dobro Utro,” I called out as I passed through the haze in the dip on my way towards him.
          “Dobro Utro,” he called out in a half squelched voice trying to keep quiet in case someone was lurking in the surrounding woodland. At this point TrueMacedonian stopped pacing and pulled out a well folded piece of paper from his pocket and handed it to me. “To save us time,” he said “I wrote down what I was going to say. So here it is, but please put it away and read it at your leisure.”

Unable to resist the temptation, and contrary to TrueMacedonian’s advice, I unfolded the piece of paper and began to read. Here is what he had written;

“Modern Greece: Made In Germany - Part II

(‘It's enough for the Greeks to mimic the Germans to regain what they once had.’) Ludwig Von Maurer, Das griechische Volk (1834).

Last we left off (Part I) reading about the affect that the Germans had on German Made Modern Greece. From Kingship to even Flagship today’s Neo-Hellene is the ultimate creation of what their German masters would have them be. Not to take away from the superstar of the nineteenth century Lord Byron, who catapulted the cause for their war for independence, but the Germans had him beat by a full century. They even went so far as to put Hellas into production before Greece existed as such. (1)

According to scholar Stathis Gourgouris ‘The force of this cultural pre-construction in Greece cannot be underestimated, considering especially that the sociopolitical conditions prevailing at the end of the War of Independence point to an irreducible social and cultural discontinuity, to a zero point in the operation of those significations that were conceivably to propel and uphold the images of a new national identity.....Thus, the recourse of the new image of Hellas (both as cultural construct and as social system) began immediately upon the brief rule of Governor Kapodistrias and became efficiently implemented with the takeover of the Bavarian monarchy and its explicit desire for centralization and Hellenization. In fact, the cultural image of a modern Greece was put into production with much greater urgency than was a political-economic infrastructure, despite the obvious importance of the latter in a newly constituted State.’ (2)

German manufacturing was in full effect before the inhabitants of Modern Greece even knew who Zeus was. What happened in Greece was the invention of a myth of nationality that provided, at the deepest level, a metaphysical rationale for life and death: a meaning for what would otherwise be our futile, meaningless existence. No matter if the myth took various forms, for any myth is always the sum of its many variations. (3)

The seeds were planted and German production plants were popping up everywhere in German Made Modern Greece. The University of Athens (1837-) was the first institution of higher learning in the new Kingdom and was founded by King Otto on the German model. (4)

A Bavarian even ensured that Otto's kingdom would come supplied with excellent lager beer available to all newly made Greeks - its originator's name ‘Fuchs’ having been Hellenized to ‘Fix’ which is still available today in Modern Greece. (5) YouTube - Fix Beer Commercial

But we are missing the most important aspect of German manufacturing in modern Greece....the German made term 'Hellenism'. Hellenism, which was a term created by the German Johan Gustav Droysen, was the vehicle for expansionism spinning the wheels of the Megali Idea. The nationalist pseudo historian of the time was Constantinos Paparrigopoulos who was trying to put together the myth of an unbroken cultural descendent from ancient Hellas to German Made modern Greece. Unfortunately he faced much criticism from another German, believe it or not, named Jakob Phillip Fallmerayer.

Fallmerayer charged that the modern Greeks were not the descendents of the dead ancient race of Hellenes. In his opinion, and rightfully so, the modern inhabitants of Greece were a conglomeration of Slavs and Albanians and whatever else settled in the Balkans.

Paparrigopoulos had to not only prove the ‘Megali Idea’ valid, but he also had to prove Fallmerayer wrong. Unfortunately he could not connect the pieces together on his own.

In his works previous to the 1850's, ancient Macedonia was a distinct nation not related to the ancient Hellene city-states- 'the Macedonian nation accomplished, in the general history [of civilization], a different mission from that of the Hellenic nation'. (6)

Paparrigopoulos was at a cross road. He could not figure out how to by-pass or connect the time through the ages of Philip of Macedon and Alexander the Great and of the Roman empire, East Roman empire (Byzantine Empire) to modern times. Droysen ultimately gave Paparrigopolous supposed weighty arguments that the ancient Macedonians were actually ancient Hellenes who supposedly spread Hellenic culture eastward with the reign of Alexander the Great. Droysen inspired in Paparrigopoulos a refined understanding and use of the theoretical principles of German historicism. (7)

Through Johan Gustav Droysen the pseudo historian Paparrigopoulos invented the fallacious term ‘Macedonian Hellenism’ and put the pieces together of an unbroken mythological culture that stretched back from millennia’s to modern times. And there we have it. Germans inventing everything neo-Hellenic for the neo-Hellenes.

But we are not finished here. There are many more things to bring up about German Made Modern Greece like their Flag, their early German law system, German made libraries, German centralized police, etc. All this modernization and the Germans still had to drag the Greeks, screaming, into the nineteenth century. (8)

There is so much more to expose yet you the reader would end up reading a book instead of a 5 minute synopsis.

However I will give one more myth a bit of exposure because what I've left out of this equation is that which blends into the myth the ‘continuation’ (German made Hellenism) that every Modern Greek is taught since birth. Every Modern Greek is taught from birth that he or she is the descendent of the dead race of ancient Hellenes. The proof is that they speak the same language (another false conception because the languages of the so called ‘ancient Greeks’ is not even close to the language taught to the Modern Greeks in school which anyone can learn, even someone of a different race and colour).

Historian Andrew Baruch Wachtel gives an explanation on where this sort of thinking originated;

‘In the Balkans...nations were created first, thanks to the hard work of a handful of European-oriented men; states for these nations came later. The model for Balkan nation builders therefore was not France, but rather Germany, where intellectuals carefully nurtured a sense of national consciousness well before the existence of a unified state. On the German model, the primary definition of a nation was linguistic: a nation was a nation (and could, therefore, hope for an independent political existence in the form of a state) insofar as its citizens spoke a common language. Although Balkan intellectuals and linguists tended to claim that a given language had already existed from time immemorial and thereby provided the necessary glue for a nation, this was generally not the case. Each putative language was in fact comprised of multiple dialects of equally ill-defined neighboring languages. Because the vernacular had been used for limited purposes since the Ottoman invasion, much work had to be done to transform these languages into vehicles suitable for a full range of modern administrative, commercial, and cultural purposes.’ (9)

And Wachtel gives us a perfect example of how the modern Greeks utilized this German linguistic nation building process by explaining the work of one Grigorios Zalikoglou (most likely a Vlach) who goes on to write that their language is the same as the language of the ancient Hellenes. Wachtel writes;

‘Zalikoglou insists that modern and ancient Greek are the same language, though as the writer of a grammar he must have recognized that there are enormous differences between them. But because he needed linguistic continuity to buttress his claims for the historical continuity of the Greek nation, he overlooked this fact. Although he uses the language of race ('blood descendents'), he excludes anyone who does. Finally, language trumps any other potential marker of national identity - thus a Muslim would be considered Greek if he speaks the language, but a Turkish-speaking Orthodox Christian would not be, even if he could prove direct descent from Plato.’ (10)

Of course the rules changed later on with the Vlach Rigas Velenstinlis who asserted that any Orthodox Christian was a Greek.

From what we now know we can see the true nature of German Made Modern Greece and how they ultimately manufactured and newly assembled ethnic Greeks before the state Greece was even created.

‘Greece is the most artificial of all artificial nations that resulted from the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire.’ Yerasimos Kaklamanis (Analysis of Neohellenic Bourgeois Ideology, page 13).

Sources

1, 2- Dream Nation by Stathis Gourgouris pages 86-87.

3- Inventing Greece by David Bien; Journal of Modern Greek Studies - Volume 23, Number 2, October 2005, pp. 217-234.

4- Greece The Modern Sequel from 1821-Present by John S. Koliopoulos and Thanos M. Veremis page 164.

5- The Greek Passion, by Kenneth Young page 159.

6, 7- European historiographical influences upon the young Konstantinos Paparrigopolous, by Ioannis Koubourlis; The Making of Modern Greece, Edited By Roderick Beaton, David Ricks pages 59-60.

8- The Greek Passion, by Kenneth Young pages 158-159.

9, 10- The Balkans in World History, by Andrew Baruch Wachtel pages 77-78.

(They must find it difficult...Those who have taken authority as the truth, Rather than truth as the authority.) Gerald Massey, Egyptologist”

By the time I had finished reading what was inside this well folded and crumpled at the edges piece of paper, it was time for me to duck into the Delorean’s trunk.
          “I told you not to read it now!” exclaimed TrueMacedonian as he gently pushed the trunk shut with one hand while waving at Tito and the rest of the team approaching.

“You must be in a good mood this morning,” Tito remarked to TrueMacedonian without saying good morning. “Let’s see how you all hold out through the day today. We are going to Athens, to April 25th, 1947,” remarked Tito as he boarded the Delorean in his usual style.

“A bold move,” I thought to myself, which was a shocking understatement because the next day I read the following sad news;

“Macedonians Executed

ATHENS, April 25 (Reuters) – Twenty guerrillas were shot by a firing squad at Kozani, Western Macedonia, today after being sentenced for alleged membership in a ‘Slav Macedonian armed band’. The organization was accused of autonomist activities in Macedonia.
          Seven communists were sentenced to death by a court-martial at Mytiline for activities endangering the state.
          The Greek General Staff has filed an espionage charge against the management of the Athens newspaper Rizospastis, organ of the Greek communist party, which published an alleged top secret army report on the strength and organization of the guerrilla forces in Greece.”
          (The New York Times, April 26, 1947)

Saddened by the news I had just read, I was wondering if Tito was responsible for the death of all those people. Or perhaps he was only responsible for calling them “Macedonians” and had nothing to do with their deaths? Then I remembered TrueMacedonian’s words that here in “fiction-land” nothing is what it seems. I convinced myself to stop speculating and wait for the team to return. Surely TrueMacedonian will have an explanation for this tragedy. Unfortunately my minutes of wait, turned to hours and no sign of the team. I couldn’t help but wonder if Tito and the team were among those killed. Will I ever see TrueMacedonian again?

To be continued.

I see that Risto has found the article I posted some time ago, about the execution of Macedonians, good one Risto!

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

Come take a ride in Tito’s time Machine – Part 12 – Greece Executes Macedonians

Come take a ride in Tito’s time Machine – Part 12 – Greece Executes Macedonians

By Risto Stefov

[email protected]

November 1, 2009

The next morning I was first to arrive at the usual hiding place. It was early in the morning and I was happy to witness the first rays of the sun burning their way through the low fog on the distant horizon. It doesn’t matter how many times I have witnessed the crack of dawn, each experience is unique and has its special magical moments.

I didn’t get any sleep all through the night as I pondered how in God’s name could a few people in the world have pulled off such a scam as to convince the rest of the world that Greece was populated by Greeks who were supposedly the true descendants of the Ancient Greeks, when none of this was true?

Then blinded by my gaze at the first rays of the rising sun, I overheard a familiar voice behind me saying, “I knew I would find you here. I too could not sleep thinking of the damage some people have done to us by this artificial creation of Modern Greece.”

I said, “Dobro utro TrueMacedonian, it’s nice to see you too.” It was almost as if the two of us were sharing the same thoughts subconsciously. We both skipped the pleasantries and got down to serious discussions about the business that was worrying us both.

“If there are indeed hundreds of books, as you pointed out, that speak of the truth about the Modern Greeks, and I have no reason to doubt you, then why have so many modern historians missed the point about who the Modern Greeks truly are?” I asked.

“Modern Greeks today would argue that over 250 classical scientists can’t all be wrong,” responded TrueMacedonian “but to understand how this could be I will use the ‘flat earth’ analogy to explain the situation which often helps me understand why things are the way they are.”

“A long, long time ago people believed the earth was flat. There was plenty of evidence to suggest and support that theory so naturally word got around and everyone started believing that the earth was flat. But as mathematics, science and technology became more and more sophisticated, some people, a small minority mind you, began to see the earth in a different light. Eventually some got enough nerve to speak up about it and even dared to contradict the majority who supposedly ‘knew for a fact’ that the earth was flat. I can almost hear the counter arguments made by the mainstream scientists to the ‘preposterous’ claims of these ‘heretics’ that the earth was anything but flat. ‘Why if the earth was round, as my esteemed colleague claims, wouldn’t we all be falling off it? Then how do you explain the fact that to this day no one has fallen off it?’ In those days they burned alive those who spoke contrary to what was believed to be ‘the truth’. Of course today we know the earth is round and what the majority in those days believed was actually a lie. But the difference between the ‘flat earth’ theory and the theory of the Modern Greeks being direct descendants of the ancient Greeks is that people did not know enough about the earth to know that it was not flat. On the other hand people did have enough evidence to prove that the Modern Greeks were not even remotely related to the ancient Greeks, yet they chose to ignore that evidence and instead purposely propagated a lie! A lie that was repeated so may times it became far stronger than the truth” continued TrueMacedonian as I listened intensely to every word he said.

“Why should modern historians write about the Greek ugly dark truth and risk being ridiculed and ostracized when they can write about the bright shining glaring lie and be praised. There is much to think about here and as the evidence against this ‘Greek theory’ mounts, history will be reexamined and revolutionized but not before we expose it all. If the Modern Greeks are a lie, then how many more lies have there been perpetrated to give support to the original lie? Could the idea that the ancient Macedonians were Greeks also be another big Greek lie? Of course it is! The only reason Modern Greeks make that claim is so that they can also lay claim to the Macedonian heritage and rob the Macedonians of it. If the Modern Greeks are a mongrel race not at all related to the ancient Greeks, then ask yourself, what chances are there of them being related to the ancient Macedonians, who were a totally different people from the so-called ancient Greeks? I would say none whatsoever! Today’s Greeks are not at all what they say they are. They are nothing but a hodge-podge of modern Balkanites who lost their true identities and now go on pretending to be the direct descendents of the ancient people who died on those lands two and a half millenniums ago. Not knowing who they are themselves they now have the nerve to tell us who we are and who we are not!” continued TrueMacedonian.

“So, what are we racking our brains to prove here?” I dared ask.

“If you wish to view the problem from a purely scientific point of view then ‘why must we continue to believe in lies when we know the truth’? Why protect this ‘lie’ perpetrated a long time ago when we have evidence to put it to rest? Why must we pretend that the ‘earth is flat’ when we all know it is not?” asked TrueMacedonian with a serious tone in his voice.

“If you wish to view the problem from ‘the Macedonian point of view’ then as Macedonians with much to lose why must we keep silent about the truth? We lost our lands, our homes, our language, our culture to the Greeks and now they deny our identity. They publicly and to our face say we don’t exist. Is it not our duty to speak up? Is it not in our personal and national interest to expose the Greeks and their fake identity? Only by shouting the truth can we expose the lies and injustices perpetrated against us, not only by the fake-Greeks but also by their supporters,” continued TrueMacedonian, unaware of the passing of time evident by the distance the sun had risen above the horizon.

“The fake-Greeks have used history against us, a history that does not belong to them, and have for a century now got away with it. It is time to expose these fake-Greeks and what they stand for. It’s time to expose the acts and atrocities they perpetrated against us in the name of Hellenism, something that does not even belong to them, acts committed against us purely for their personal benefit!” said TrueMacedonian as he gestured for me to disappear into the Delorean’s trunk when he saw Tito and the others appear at the edge of the bushes.

“Look alive men, we are going back to Athens, to June 7th, 1947,” were the only words Tito uttered that morning as Doc powered up the Delorean’s engines and Marty and TrueMacedonian hopped aboard in the back seat. No sooner had Tito slammed the door shut than the Delorean was on its way to Athens.

“Back to Athens eh? I guess they still have unfinished business there,” I thought to myself.

The next day the following story appeared;

“Greece Executes 8 Macedonians

ATHENS. June 7 (Reuthers) – Eight Macedonian civilians sentenced to death by a court-martial on charges of plotting to separate Macedonia from Greece were shot at Salonika today. They were said to have been members of a ‘terroristic’ Slav organization.” (The New York Times, June 8, 1947).

Again, it was a sad story for the Macedonian people not only because these people died but also because they died in vain to fulfill some sick Greek fantasy that Macedonians actually had the capability to “separate” Macedonia from Greece? If Macedonia is Greek and always has been Greek and the Macedonians are Greeks and always have been Greeks as the Modern Greeks claim at every chance they get, then why would the Macedonians want to separate Macedonia from Greece? It’s a simple and straight foreword question! Could it be “Greek anxiety” causing this Greek paranoia? Could it be because these fake-Greeks actually stole Macedonia from the Macedonians and are now afraid that the Macedonians may want it back?

As I asked myself question after question, deep in my thoughts, Tito and the team had already returned and had gone off to the next mission. I only remembered this because my subconscious mind was working overtime repeating the words “Athens, July 28, 1896” to my conscious mind.

The team was already gone to the next mission before I fully awakened from my dream-like stupor. Did I imagine all this? Just to be sure, I went straight to the New York Times, July 29th, 1896. Lately Tito was targeting the New York Times so it was a safe bet to start with that paper. As I found out, I was not disappointed.

Here is what it said;

“CHRISTIAN VILLAGES BURNED.

Greece Notified that She Must Not Assist the Macedonians.

LONDON. July 28. – The Daily News will to-morrow publish a dispatch from its Athens correspondent stating that the Mussulmans have burned twelve Christian villages in the province of Selino and Herakleon and desecrated many churches.

The Standard will to-morrow publish a dispatch from its correspondent in Berlin saying that the powers have notified Greece that they will withdraw all support from her if she continues to patronize or assist the insurgents in Macedonia.” (New York Times, July 29, 1896)

Did they mean “ethnic” or “geographical” Macedonians? It is so confusing to understand “Greek logic” especially when it comes out of the fake-Greeks in Athens.

The team was back, preparing for its next mission when I overheard Tito mumble the words, “We are going to Athens again to March 4th, 1897.” Tito mumbling? What’s wrong with the guy? Is he getting overtired from lack of sleep? Oh well, it’s the team’s last mission of the day and then we will all get to go home and get some rest.

The team was back and gone home in a flash as I looked for the next day’s paper.

Here is what I found;

“GREECE READY FOR WAR.

She will yield to no admonition from the powers.

PARIS. March 4. – It is reported that the Government is making preparations to order the mobilization of the Mediterranean reserve squadron, which will be sent to the Levant, under command of admiral Humann.

Le Jour publishes a dispatch from its correspondent at Athens containing a report of an interview with King George of Greece, in which his Majesty declares that Greece is ready for war with Turkey, and would yield to no admonition from the powers.

The King is reported to have added that the powers might blockade Greece, but in the interior they would be powerless. The Greeks, he said, were fully prepared to fight to the death, and the Macedonians were eager to revolt.” (New York Times, March 5, 1897).

Tito, it must be nice to manipulate the media in such a way! Revolt, revolt! Who is revolting, the “ethnic” or “geographical” Macedonians? Let the fake-Greeks explain this!

By now I too was very tired and it was time for me to also go home.

To be continued.

"Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

Macedonian Conference - University of Utah - Report‏

Macedonian Conference - University of Utah - Report‏
              Sent: Wednesday, 11 November 2009 317 AM
              To: ;
              One Report from the Macedonian Conference held at the University of Utah, November 5-8.

The 7th North American Macedonian Conference held in Salt lake City was nearly as successful as we might have hoped it would be. The University of Utah stood its ground and hosted the conference despite all of the Greek pressure to cancel the conference. Greek visitors only disrupted the conference in minor ways. Their presence might have even served to energize the conference as it heightened participants’ awareness of what was at stake here. And there were some excellent presentations on the Macedonian language, literature, history and culture.

Perhaps the worst effect of Greek hostility was that it forced the conference somewhat underground. In order to reduce conflict the organizers tried to hide our presence from much of the public. There was no large sign at the building entrance like the one I remember from our meeting in Columbus, Ohio in 2003. There weren’t even any small paper notices posted on the doors of the building or at the room entrance to alert anyone to our presence on the campus. But, of course, Greeks found us. It was only the general public that was denied knowledge of our presence or existence.

I was also disappointed that Professor Anastasia Karakasidou did not attend the conference as originally scheduled. Although I don’t know why she wasn’t there, I can’t help but suspect that Greek pressure on and threats to the conference didn’t have something to do with her absence. No one else that I know of from the academic community has been subject to the threats and abuse that she has received in the past for her academic work that supports the existence of a Macedonian minority in Greece. The Greek racists, no doubt, must regard her withdrawal from the conference as a victory of sorts for their cause.

The Greeks who were present at the conference seemed to hone in on the younger, more innocent-looking graduate student presenters at the conference. For example, after one young American talked about certain features of the Macedonian language, a couple of rather overweight, sick and thuggish-looking Greek visitors got up and asked how the young man could possibly talk about a non-existent language. This, to his credit, was more than old professor Victor Friedman could stand. He simply exploded in a rage, telling these Greeks in no uncertain terms that such foolish questions were not welcome here. I saw him erupt at least one other time during the conference when a Greek began annoying participants during one of the breaks. I’ve never liked Professor Friedman quite so much as I did at that moment.

To be honest, I was unable to muster much personal outrage at the Greek presence. Their ignorant, prejudiced views were simply too indefensible. Their denial of the existence of Macedonians, despite being in a room filled with them, had the same effect on me as if they had pronounced the world flat. How do you respond to such stupidity? With outrage? Or do you laugh in their faces? Or do you just shake your head in amazement and think, how pathetic!

My personal favorite presenter at the conference was history professor Philip Shashko. He entitled his talk Speaking Truth to Power and went on to describe the works of one particularly brave and honest Greek scholar whose works effectively refute Greek lies about Macedonians in Greece. I liked the professor’s eloquence and his fire. He looked the Greeks in the audience straight in the eye and told them exactly why they were wrong and where they could learn the truth from one of their own Greek scholars, if they wanted to.

Perhaps the saddest moment in the conference came when one Greek man pointed to a woman next to him and declared her a person who spoke the odd jumble of speech borrowed from all over that some claimed to be a dialect of the so-called Macedonian language. He then announced that she couldn’t understand anything the visiting professors from FYROM said. Her Serbian friends, on the other hand, understood them perfectly well. The woman in question barely said anything at all, she just nodded her head in agreement with him. Anthropology professor Loring Danforth then announced that he had requested a chance to interview the woman himself in order to see if this was really true, but she had refused to be interviewed.

It struck me as quite sad. This poor woman had probably been drawn into a Greek family or circle years before, and in order to keep peace in the family had decided to play dumb when it came to her linguistic and ethnic identity. To an outsider it appeared to be quite the sad spectacle, for her Greek handlers to parade her out at an academic conference as some sort of living proof of the non-existence of her mother tongue and ethnicity. This seemed like some sick form of social abuse that no human being should ever be subject to.

I always particularly enjoy the opportunity to renew old acquaintance and make new friends at these conferences. One highlight of the conference for me was the opportunity to get to know the Macedonian author and ambassador to France, Jordan Plevnes. He introduced us to a fine Macedonian-French-Dutch film that he helped create, entitled The Secret Book. If you haven’t seen this film, I encourage you to find a copy or locate a screening of it where you live.

There was audio recording of the conference by the University of Chicago. Hopefully, these recordings of most of the presentations, including my presentation on the life and art of Macedonian folk dancer, musician and teacher, Atanas Kolarovski, will become available for download on the web some time in the near future.

Michael Seraphinoff

"Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Perhaps the saddest moment in the conference came when one Greek man pointed to a woman next to him and declared her a person who spoke the odd jumble of speech borrowed from all over that some claimed to be a dialect of the so-called Macedonian language. He then announced that she couldn’t understand anything the visiting professors from FYROM said. Her Serbian friends, on the other hand, understood them perfectly well. The woman in question barely said anything at all, she just nodded her head in agreement with him. Anthropology professor Loring Danforth then announced that he had requested a chance to interview the woman himself in order to see if this was really true, but she had refused to be interviewed.
                What a load of crap. How offensive. I am not sure I would have been able to contain my rage at such stupidity.
                Risto the Great
                MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

Come take a ride in Tito’s time Machine – Part 14 – MASS MEETING OF MACEDONIANS

Come take a ride in Tito’s time Machine – Part 14 – MASS MEETING OF MACEDONIANS

By Risto Stefov

[email protected]

November 15, 2009

Fearing that Tito might show up early again, the next day I got to the hiding place bright and early and entered the Delorean’s trunk so I would be out of sight. It seemed like hours had passed before I heard voices. The entire team showed up together. Tito hates to wait so he must have had the team assemble early in the morning and left for the Delorean after everyone was there.

I wondered if Tito had discovered that TrueMacedonian was missing after the team had left the previous night? Then I overheard TrueMacedonian explain that the only reason he had stayed behind was because he was anxious to read parts of his book as soon as possible. And of course he didn’t exactly lie about that except for the fact that it was me and not him who was reading the book.

“Next time you feel like doing that it wouldn’t hurt if you let me know!” Tito declared as he slammed the Delorean’s door and began to adjust the time machine dials. “We are going to Vienna, April 7, 1902,” he said as he pushed the time activation button.

The next day the following article appeared in The New York Times;

“MACEDONIANS WELL ORGANIZED

Have Even a Postal System of Their Own – They Have Received Donations from Abroad.

London Times – New York Times Special Cablegram

LONDON, April 8. – The Macedonian revolutionists are not concerned in regard to the convenience of Europe, says the Vienna correspondent of The Times. Sarafof (the Macedonian leader) deliberately says that it is beyond the power of Austria or Russia to interfere.

The correspondent says that Sarafof’s methods strongly resemble those of the anarchists, as they consist of terrorizing the defenseless population while the Turkish troops are carefully avoided.

The revolutionists are admirable organized, having even an efficient postal service of their own. They have received donations from foreign sympathizers, and are likely to do more mischief before they are suppressed.” (The New York Times, April 8, 1902)

The team was back and off again this time to Sofia, Bulgaria, to February 15th, 1903, where many Macedonians were expected to gather. I didn’t realize how many that could be until I read the following clip the next day;

“MASS MEETING OF MACEDONIANS

SOFIA, Feb. 15. – A mass meeting of 10,000 Macedonians was held here to-day to protest against the action of the government in dissolving the Macedonian Committees in Bulgaria. The meeting demanded the re-establishment of the Macedonian societies and the judicial punishment of individual offenders.

It is reported that warrants are out for the arrest of Boris Sarafof, Yankof, and other Macedonian leaders.

Sarafof is said to be now in Macedonia organizing a revolt. Several arrests of Macedonian leaders have been made in provincial towns. The government will prosecute the arrested men.” (The New York Times, February 16, 1903)

Ten thousand Macedonians in Bulgaria? Did Tito “create” that many Macedonians in one day? And were they “ethnic” or “geographical” Macedonians? Let’s see how the Greeks will handle this one?

If Macedonians did not exist and if all these people were ‘ethnic’ Bulgarians as the Greeks like to claim, and if they were fighting for a ‘Greater Bulgaria’, then why did the Bulgarian government have them arrested, I wondered as the team came back and was off again, this time to Geneva, to March 1st, 1903.

The next day the following short article appeared in The New York Times;

“SEVERE FIGHTING BETWEEN TURKS AND MACEDONIANS.

Turks Repulsed With Heavy Loss Near Monastir – Sultan’s Reform Order Regarded as a Trick.

LONDON, March 2. – The Geneva correspondent of The Daily Chronicle telegraphs that news has been received there of an engagement between Turkish troops and bodies of Macedonians and Bulgarians near Monastir.

The Turks suffered a repulse. After the fighting thirty-two dead and many wounded were found.” (The New York Times, March 2, 1903)

Bravo Tito, you managed to insert the words ‘Macedonians and Bulgarians’ in the same sentence! I would very much like to see how our Modern Greeks today are going to explain this one. How many lies will be told to cover up the original Big Greek Lie?

Speaking of Big Greek Lies, after the team departed for the night I came out of the Delorean’s trunk and discovered a crumpled piece of paper on the ground. I smoothed it out and found it was a photocopy of a page from a book.

TrueMacedonian must have left it behind for me to find, I thought as I began to read it.

Here is what it said;

“Argolida has been continuously settled since ancient times. Since the Mycenaean era, it has been under the continual occupation of successive empires and states, from the city-states of ancient Greece through Rome and Byzantium, the Venetians, Ottomans and finally the modern Greek state. Successive waves of conquerors and immigrants have all left their mark. Today the area is widely considered to be the heartland of modern Greece. The revolution that lead to the founding of the modern Greek state in 1821 was centered in the Peloponessos, and Nauplio became its first capital. Since then, the construction of Greek national identity has tended to efface processes of social differentiation. The institutions and ideology of the Greek nation-state have sought to project an unproblematic narrative of Greek history stretching back to ancient times (Herzfeld 1982). Despite these efforts, however, it is difficult to document a continuous lineage of ‘Greek’ identity. Instead what we find is a history of confrontation, contradiction and assimilation among contentious social groups and ethnic identities.

The notion of a ‘Greek’ identity in the modern sense is itself in large part a creation of the movement towards statehood. It was not until the nineteenth century that the term came to describe a homogenous ethnic group in the modern sense. Instead, the peoples of the Peloponnessos, including Argolida, made up an intricate mosaic of ethnicities and languages. In Argolida dialects of Albanian, Greek, Turkish and other local languages were spoken (Andromedas 1976). From the Byzantine Empire and onwards, religion was an important marker of social identity. The Byzantines were Greek speakers, but they associated the Greek language with Christianity rather than ancient Greece, and in fact ethnically defined themselves as ‘Romans’, a term carried over to the Ottoman Empire as ‘Rum’ meaning Orthodox Christians.” (“Blood and Oranges Immigrant Labour and European Markets in Rural Greece”, by Christopher M. Lawrence, page 12)

At the bottom of the page there was something handwritten which read;

-IKNT-C-U-4-4-TO-5-DYS-

It didn’t take me too long to realize that this was not the ISBN number of the book but rather a coded message for me which I read to mean: I can’t see you in the next four to five days. I assume because of the previous day’s incident Tito might have been getting suspicious of TrueMacedonian being up to some of his own ‘extra curricular activities’ after the missions. So I gather he was going to ‘lay low’ for the next four to five days, just to throw off any suspicions, which was fine by me.

To be continued.

Many thanks to TrueMacedonian from http://www.maknews.com/forum for his contribution to this article.Hear Hear!!
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                    • Aug 2009

Come take a ride in Tito’s time Machine – Part 15 – Macedonians burned to death

Come take a ride in Tito’s time Machine – Part 15 – Macedonians burned to death

By Risto Stefov

[email protected]

November 22, 2009

Knowing that I could not speak with TrueMacedonian and worried that Tito might show up earlier than expected, the next morning I boarded the Delorean’s trunk as soon as I arrived at the hiding place. As I sat there in silence it occurred to me that one of these days someone might want to use the trunk and I would be discovered. As I contemplated such a scenario I began to explore the inside of the trunk with the aid of my handy flashlight and lo and behold I discovered a hidden, zippered compartment on the right side on top of the back wheel. As I unzipped the flap I discovered it was not only big enough so that I would fit but it was straight and I would not have to crouch. Why didn’t I do this earlier, I wondered as I got in and began to zip-up the fold. Ah, this is perfect and on top of being comfortable, I was hidden from sight and was getting fresh air from the outside through the special intake grilles. This compartment must have been used for storing operational equipment before the upgrades to the Delorean were made.

Tito and the team arrived at the usual time and as usual Tito barked his next orders and the destination of their first mission. “This morning we are going to Vienna, to October 14, 1903,” remarked Tito as he adjusted the time control dials and pushed the activation button.

The next day I went through all the papers but could find nothing on the mission for October 15, 1903. Then it occurred to me to look in the October 14, 1903 newspapers starting with The New York Times. This is what I found;

“MACEDONIANS NEAR THE SEA

London Times – New York Times Special Cablegram.

London, Oct. 14. – The Times’s Vienna correspondent says that according to Politsche Corespondenz the insurgents in Sunjak, Seres are rapidly nearing the southern seacoast at Kavala.” (The New York Times, October 14, 1903)

Tito and the boys must have caught the correspondent early in the morning and had him release the news the same day. How is that for fast service even in 1903?

As soon as the team was back, the boys were off again, judging from the evidence, this time to Rome, to September 26, 1915;

“Special Cable to The New York Times

ROME, Sept. 27. – Another great conflagration in the Balkans is unavoidable. Many Balkan exiles living in Italy, especially Greeks, Macedonians and Bulgarians are speeding home via Brindisi and Messina.

Another sign of the gravity of the situation is the fresh severity of the censorship in the Balkan countries practically allowing only the transmission of official news. (The New York Times, September 27, 1915)

No sooner had they left than they were back again so I figured Tito would go for an extra mission. Then I overheard him say, “We are going to Sofia, to November 6th, 1903.

That winter was particularly bad for the Macedonian people given that their Uprising along with their hopes and worldly possessions were just crushed by the Ottomans. I was not looking forward to reading about this mission at all. But then when I did find the article, I was pleasantly surprised. Here is what it said;

“EMPEROR AIDS MACEDONIANS

Francis Joseph Gives 10,000f. for the Refuges in Response to an Appeal by Princes Clementine.

London Times – New York Times Special Cablegram.

LONDON, Nov. 7. – The Sofia correspondent of the Times says Emperor Francis Joseph gives 10,000f. in aid of the Macedonian refugees. The donation was in response to an appeal by Princes Clementine of Belgium (Countess Lonyay, who was the wife of the Crown Prince Rudolf) and was accompanied by an autographed letter. The munificence of the Emperor is much appreciated in Sofia.

The princess, who has been deeply touched by the sufferings of the unfortunate exiles, has addressed letters to several of her august relatives invoking aid and has contributed large sums from her private purse.” (The New York Times, November 7, 1903)

The team was back again and I was right, it went for yet another mission. “Sorry to disappoint you boys but we are not going home, we are going for one more mission,” announced Tito without specifying where they were going. Knowing that I would be, concerned TrueMacedonian piped up and said, “Where are we going? Aren’t you going to tell us?”

“We are going to Sofia again but this time to January 19, 1908” replied Tito.

The next day I looked through the January 19, 1908 newspapers only to find the dreaded news in the following article;

“OUTRAGE BY GREEKS

Macedonians Driven into Houses and Burned to Death.

SOFIA, Bulgaria, Jan. 19. – News has reached here of a terrible tragedy at the village of Dragosch, near Monastir, a town in Macedonia, several days ago.

While a festival was in progress and the villagers were dancing upon the lawns in the public park, a large band of Greeks suddenly swooped down upon them and after driving them into their houses, set fire to the buildings and burned them to death.

The victims included women and children and numbered, it is said, between twenty-five and forty-five. (The New York Times, January 20, 1908)

Why must Tito make the last mission the worst mission of the day? Everyone was very quiet when they arrived and left for home. It was expected after that mission!

When it was quiet outside I worked my way out of the Delorean’s side compartment, having to work the stuck zipper a couple of times. I was used to popping out of the trunk so I was on my feet in seconds, ready to make my way back to my place when I noticed a crumpled piece of paper on the ground. It must be another message from TrueMacedonian.

Here is what it said;

“Angolida, like the coastal areas of the Peloponnesos in general, has a long history of invasions and immigration due to the economic significance of the area and its location along the eastern Mediterranean trade routes. The three villages of Agia Triada, Manesi and Gerbisi all trace their history back to the decline of the Byzantine Empire. The original name of Agia Triada was Merbeka, probably derived from the surname of the Catholic bishop of Corinth during the Frankish crusader state, Wilhelm von Moerbeke, who established the Deocesan seat there in 1277 (Salapatas 2000). It is mentioned in a census of 1700 as containing thirty families and 157 residents. In 1817 it is listed as having 160 residents. In 1834, Merbeka was incorporated as a town (dimos) with a population of 320 (Skiadas 1993). Gerbesi and Manesi both seem to have been founded in the sixteenth century when the area was under Venetian control. Both names apparently refer to immigrant Albanian soldiers working for the Venetians that also appear as names of villages in what is today as southern Albania (Mauros 1980). Albanian speakers moved into Argolida in several waves in the next centuries, creating differences that are perceived today. Residents of Garbesi are thought to share lineage with the people of Limnes, a village some 20 kilometers away, while the villages of Prosomni and Arachneo are thought to represent a later immigration. Residents of Garbesi often cite this history in explaining inter village differences and conflicts. In the early 1950’s the names of Merbeka and Garbesi were changed to the more ‘Greek sounding’ Agia Triada (meaning Holy Trinity) and Midea (from the Mycenaean site), the culmination of a long process of cultural homogenization initiated by the emergence of the modern Greek state in 1821. Manesi, for unexplainable reasons, was allowed to keep its Arvanitiko name.” (“Blood and Oranges Immigrant Labour and European Markets in Rural Greece”, by Christopher M. Lawrence, page 13)

To be continued.

Many thanks to TrueMacedonian from http://www.maknews.com/forum for his contribution to this article
                    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

I have a feeling the time machine has many more visits to go.
                      Because there is WAY TOO MUCH damning information to retrieve!
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• George S.
                        • Aug 2009

Welll all it takes is someone to fill it up with some gas & Vroom away you go.
                        Many thanks to TrueMacedonian from http://www.maknews.com/forum for his contribution to this article
                        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Risto the Great
                          • Sep 2008

George, there is a True Macedonian from www.macedoniantruth.org/forum as well. Imagine if the two of them ever were placed in the same room! I think a black hole would instantly form and the universe would cease to exist.
                          Risto the Great

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                            George, there is a True Macedonian from www.macedoniantruth.org/forum as well. Imagine if the two of them ever were placed in the same room! I think a black hole would instantly form and the universe would cease to exist.

RTG that's too funny man. But not as funny as when you told that chicagogreg guy to shave his shoulder before posting pics of his tatoos on the maggots network
                            Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• George S.
                              • Aug 2009

I reckon there is a time machine & that;s why there's two TMS he can travel in time.
                              THanks for making us laugh.
                              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                                • Aug 2009

Macedonias'Division Was No Accident

Macedonia’s Division was no Accident

By Risto Stefov

[email protected]

November 24, 2009

Since the rise of the Macedonian Empire some 2,400 years ago until the 19th century, Macedonia and its people have been embroiled in many controversies but one factor has always remained a constant; their existence and identity were never questioned!

Lesser nations and less famous people today have their own national identities and even their own countries, yet the Macedonians are still an enigma. Why?

Does the world not know about the Macedonians and their contributions over the centuries?

Let us forget about the “world” for a moment and concentrate on those who have followed the age old Macedonian struggle and the Macedonian peoples’ attempt to assert themselves over the years. Shouldn’t they know who the Macedonians are?

Why then have they not become allies of the Macedonian cause and helped the Macedonian quest to self determination? Why have none of these people said, “Wait a moment here; Macedonia is one of the oldest countries in Europe, if not in the world, which has a long and illustrious historical past, long standing traditions and has not only earned the right but deserves to exist.” Has anyone heard these words lately?

To truly understand what is happening to Macedonia and the Macedonian people today one needs to understand Macedonia’s historic relationship to its neighbours and to Western Europe in particular.

Macedonia’s problems with Europe began after Macedonia was defeated by the Roman Empire. The Macedonian peoples’ will to fight for their freedom lead them to fight four horrible and terrifying wars with Rome. These wars terrified Rome to a point where it felt secure after it had “shackled” Macedonia. But shackling Macedonia obviously was not enough; Rome had to divide Macedonia into four pieces and kept the Macedonian people apart for over half a millennium so that they could never reunite again and pose a threat.

So as long as the Macedonians were under someone’s shackles, Roman, Byzantine, or Ottoman, the West could rest easy. But when the Ottoman Empire began to decline and crumble at the edges the Macedonians again came into focus. What should be done with them?

Well as I mentioned above while the Ottoman Empire was crumbling at its edges, someone could have said, “Wait a moment here; Macedonia is one of the oldest countries in Europe, if not in the world, it has a long and illustrious historic past, long standing traditions and has not only earned the right but deserves to exist.” Did anyone, particularly from Western Europe say that (outside of Gladstone)? I don’t think so! But on the other hand it would be very naïve of me to think that anyone who was in power to do something for Macedonia ever cared. Why should they?

The moment Russia liberated Macedonia in 1878, purely for its own interests, the West gave it back to the Ottomans. The Western powers, who at the time decided Macedonian’s fate, had many more options than to just give Macedonia back to its tormentors. But did they exercise those options? No! They didn’t even ask for guarantees to safeguard the safety of the Macedonian people. And why should they have? They could have given Macedonia back to the Ottomans and could have asked the Ottomans to give Macedonia autonomy as an Ottoman province. Isn’t that what the Macedonian people really wanted all along anyway? But that didn’t happen.

When the Macedonian people could take no more and decided to rise against the Ottoman Empire and take their fate into their own hands, what did the West do? Nothing! They did not a thing! They sat around watching the Ottomans pummel Macedonia to pulp and not only did nothing but discouraged others from helping. Then in 1912 and 1913 during the Balkan Wars, when the three wolves Greece, Serbia and Bulgaria attacked Macedonia, instead of stepping in and ensuring the survival of the Macedonian people along with their national identity, culture and language, the West sanctioned Macedonia’s partition and the demise of the Macedonian national and ethnic identity.

Did the Western powers have any other options, outside of allowing Macedonia to be invaded, occupied and partitioned and thus rendering the Macedonian identity defunct, destroyed and therefore non existent in 1912, 1913? Yes they did!

1. The Western powers could have stepped in, saved Macedonia from being partitioned and helped it along to become a free and independent country as per William Gladstone’s call. And now for the sixty-four thousand dollar question, why didn’t they? Was it because they didn’t know that Macedonia existed? Or was it because the Macedonian people were less worthy than the other Balkan people for whom they “made” countries out of the crumbling Ottoman Empire?

2. The Western powers could have stepped in and forced the Ottomans to take Macedonia back, this time as an autonomous province. But again they didn’t.

3. The Western powers could have given all of Macedonia to any one of Greece, Serbia, Bulgaria, Albania or even Austria-Hungary as a single state and spare it from being partitioned. They could have spared the Macedonian people from the humiliation, torture and exile they endured while being assimilated into three different nations against their will. But still the Western powers did nothing.

During the First World War the borders of Europe were dissolved and again redrawn in 1919. Here again the Western powers France and Britain, the two Great Powers that brokered that peace treaty, had yet another opportunity to “do something” for Macedonia and for the Macedonian people. But in spite of Italy, the United States and to some extent Great Britain’s call for creating an independent Macedonia, it did not happen. Worse, “no one” in power even took the time to ensure the survival of the Macedonian identity. To top it all, the Western powers went along with Greece, Serbia and Bulgaria and silently agreed that “Modern Macedonians did not exist” and that they never had existed. Why?

Now one century later Western Europe silently sits behind Greece while Greece is demanding that the Macedonian people “sign their own extinction warrant” and for what, for joining a defunct and dysfunctional club?

And what exactly does this “club” have to offer a tiny country like Macedonia anyway? Has anyone ever looked at the pros and cons of joining this club?

The most logical reason why Western Europe wants Eastern European countries to join its “club” is because Western Europe has exhausted its own raw materials and markets and is now looking to expand its imperialistic desires eastward. War, imperialism and occupation by force are no longer options available to it so now it offers “invitations” to prospective members to join its club so that they can be exploited willingly. If Western Europe truly cared for its Eastern counterpart as it claims and wanted to “help”, it should have welcomed all of “Eastern Europe” to join its club as a whole instead of this piece meal approach “inviting” one country at a time and then placing ridiculous conditions on each country separately to willfully “negotiate” its own surrender.

But it’s neither here nor there for me to question Western Europe’s methods. It’s a “buyer beware” and “everyone for himself” situation and each country must decide for itself if it wants to join or not. My motivation for writing this article is not to question why Western Europe has chosen this particular method but rather to question why it is imposing conditions of the “national identity” type only on Macedonia and on no other country. Is this a coincidence or am I missing something here?

Why is Western Europe “asking” Macedonia to “give up” its Macedonian historic name and historic identity, a condition which is not even part of the application, in order to join this union?

Furthermore why is the European Union breaking its own “rules” and also going against international norms by asking Macedonia to “change” its name for the sake of negotiating entry into its union? Why can’t a Macedonian be part of the European Union as a Macedonian? I believe the world and particularly the Macedonian people deserve an honest and simple answer to this question. Or are we to assume that the European Union operates under different conditions; one for the elite and one for the rest?

Again it is for the naïve to believe that there is only one rule for all and there is no favouritism, cheating and corruption in great and small institutions. So again I have to remind the reader that this is a “buyer beware” world so be wary of what you buy and, in this case, in what you join.

This brings me back to the Macedonian people’s desire to join the European Union.

It is obvious, at least to me, that Western Europe does not want Macedonia to join its union as “The Republic of Macedonia” and if the Macedonians hang around long enough expecting to be invited in, they will realize that Western Europe will not want them to join their union as “Macedonians” at all. My question to Western Europe therefore is why? Why don’t you want the Macedonian people joining your union as Macedonians? An honest and simple answer would be appreciated! Please none of that Greek propaganda garbage!

As for those in Macedonia who do want to join the European Union, it’s time for you to do the math or as my baba would say “da si go napraet esapo”. Western Europe does not want you in their union; just look around you. Look at our mutual historic relations with Western Europe and you may understand why. Look at what they have done to us in the last century.

How many people truly believe that Western Europe wants Macedonia in its union because it wants to improve our lives?

Macedonia and every other ex-Yugoslav country in the last two decades of the 1900’s could not wait to get out of the Yugoslav union. Does anyone remember this? Why do you suppose they wanted to “exit” this union so badly; to a point of risking war? Was it maybe because each republic felt powerless, dysfunctional and unable to guide its own destiny under the weight of the others? I guess some people didn’t learn anything from that experience and now want to join another, bigger and more bureaucratic union, a union that supports members who love to see the Macedonians become extinct. The members of this union do not want Macedonians for who they are and would have them change their name before they are allowed in their club. Aren’t these the same Europeans who, only a century ago, allowed their “preferred” members to occupy and parcel up our homeland? What has changed since then to make us really think that “things” might be different this time? Why join a union which does not want you because of who you are?

Has anyone bothered to find out how others, particularly other small countries that have joined this union fare? I haven’t seen any reports, have you? What could Macedonia possibly be able to offer the union, economically, politically or otherwise stacked against giants like Germany, France, Britain and others? Are we not the same people who could not follow the dictates of Belgrade only decades ago and are now prepared to follow the dictates of Brussels, in a union where we are not even welcome? And so soon after our independence from Yugoslavia?

If I were one of those Macedonians who wants to join the European Union at any cost I had best listen to my baba and do the math for myself first before I even consider joining this union. I would not want to make a mistake I will later regret.

Rushing to join the European Union without doing your math and without having all your questions answered to your satisfaction is like marrying a person you have never met, know nothing about and are relying on others for advice. It could be a union made in heaven, but what are the chances of that? Or it could also be a nightmare of epic proportions made in hell, so why take chances?

Macedonia can afford to be a bachelor for a while. After all there are many more prospective brides out there to court; the USA, China, Russia, to name a few, so what’s the rush?

Finally, how would the vast unemployed in Macedonia, even those who exist in the gray economy, survive when they have to pay in Euros for goods at “world prices”? Has anyone thought about that? Has anyone done a thorough analysis of what would happen to the unemployed, the poor and the small companies, including the micro economies existing all over Macedonia, when Macedonia joins the EU and the big multinationals invade and take over the Macedonian markets? What would happen to the small farmers who use their land and gardens to grow and sell organic food in order to subsidize their incomes? Maybe someone has done the analysis and I just have not seen it? Have you seen it?
                                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                                X