Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Delodephius
    • Sep 2008

Sarafot, when are your going to realize I don't have a negative opinion about other people because they think differently than me? Is this all you understand? Us and them?

Vasil Ilyov is an idiot because he thinks he is a linguist and propagates his findings that a short look into science of linguistics and archaeology would prove wrong.
    अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
    उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
    This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
    But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

I wouldn't go so far as to call Vasil Ilyov an 'idiot', but our friend Slovak is a little more critical when it comes to such matters

With regard to the word 'Staroto', Donski attempts to draw a similarity with the word 'Arotos' which is cited by Hesychius as a word representing 'Heracles' in the Ancient Macedonian tongue. Whether it is or isn't connected is a separate issue to the fact that this word is clearly attested as being used in place of 'Heracles' in 5th/6th century Macedonia.

Given that the definite article was not yet developed in the written Slavonic tongues until centuries later, Slovak's assertion seems to be correct.

Slovak, despite the lack of words in Illyrian, Thracian and Ancient Macedonian, can it be determined if any of them had a feature similar to the definite article, or examples of the various cases they may have used?
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Delodephius
        • Sep 2008

Older IE languages used the case system extensively and had no need for definite articles. They had no need for many other features that are used today.
        If we want to discover ancient Macedonian, Illyrian and Thracian we should also keep in mind the existence of cases in these languages. The following eight cases existed in all IE language at one point in the past: Nominative, Genitive, Dative, Accusative, Vocative, Ablative, Locative and Instrumental. In Slavic languages the Ablative merged with Genitive but we don't know was this already the case in around the 3rd ct. BC.

Comment

• Sarafot
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Slovak/Anomaly/Tomas View Post
          Older IE languages used the case system extensively and had no need for definite articles. They had no need for many other features that are used today.
          If we want to discover ancient Macedonian, Illyrian and Thracian we should also keep in mind the existence of cases in these languages. The following eight cases existed in all IE language at one point in the past: Nominative, Genitive, Dative, Accusative, Vocative, Ablative, Locative and Instrumental. In Slavic languages the Ablative merged with Genitive but we don't know was this already the case in around the 3rd ct. BC.
          Jezus,Slovak man, what are you doctor of Slavistics?My respect,but i think that some time you forgot on logic and common sence,oh and please dont ''dont like'' me again?
          Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.
          - Борис Сарафов, 2 септември 1902

Comment

• Delodephius
            • Sep 2008

... and then my Translatology professor calls me uneducated and ignorant.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Slovak/Anomaly/Tomas View Post
              I have 'The Illyrians' by John Wilkes, I will see what kind of toponyms he mentions.
              In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• osiris
                • Sep 2008

demos the word athena is now a de facto greek, but it was borrowed by the hellenes from the pelasgians as were many other now greek words.

what those words may have meant in their original ie native langauge is debatable, because the pelsagians and there culture are yet cu be discovered and known by modern historians. but if there is a conection between many of those borrowed words and macedonian as we speak it today you might want to start revising much of what you have learned about the balkans. sure the words might be simmilar because they belong to the same ie family, but there might also be anothr reason too and thats why we are here trying to debate this issue.
                please dont start with the evrything is greek line, because the ancient greeks borrowed much from the other ancient nations which we today dont agknowledge.

Comment

• osiris
                  • Sep 2008

demos try to explain why the word thallassa (one of those borrowed words because the ancinet hellenes did not have a word for sea), means waves in macedonian. or why a paeonian city established 1000 bc on what is now veles, was called bela zora. which also means something in macedonian. there are too many of these coincidences for it all to be coincidence, hopefully one day it will be explained, but if it doesnt suit modern greeces politics most of you greeks will never accept it, beause it would destroy the basis for all your fascist bullshit.

Comment

• Demos
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by osiris View Post
                    demos try to explain why the word thallassa (one of those borrowed words because the ancinet hellenes did not have a word for sea), means waves in macedonian. or why a paeonian city established 1000 bc on what is now veles, was called bela zora. which also means something in macedonian. there are too many of these coincidences for it all to be coincidence, hopefully one day it will be explained, but if it doesnt suit modern greeces politics most of you greeks will never accept it, beause it would destroy the basis for all your fascist bullshit.

Osiris,

I think you're incorrect about ancient Greeks not having a word for "Sea". Actually the ancient Greek word for Sea is "Θάλαττα". The word eventually evolved into "Θάλασσα" over time just as many Greeks words have since the language exists now for over 3,500 years. For example No in ancient Greek is "Ουχί" and now it is "Όχι".

Comment

• Demos
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2008

Well technically the borders of the Republic of Macedonia are sitting on what used to be Paeonia. With regard to "Bela Zora", these words have no meaning in Greek whatsoever, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Comment

• osiris
                        • Sep 2008

demos the words bela zora does not mean anythingng in greek, because ist not greek it was thracian. the point is why is a thracian city named using 2 slavic words 1000 years bc, if the slavs only started coming to the balkan as is the accpeted migration theory 700ad

regarding thallassa, you will find it is one of the many words the ancient greeks borrowed from others. it may be something you are not aware of , but its origins are definatley not hellenic, thats not the interesting bit, whats interesting is why it means waves in macedonian and the other slavic languages.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Demos, Athena does not mean anything in Greek, Corinth does not mean anything in Greek, there are many other words relevant in ancient Greek history that do not have a Greek origin. Tell me, Greek is supposed to be an Indo-European tongue, how many 'Indo-European' words are in it?

Comment

• osiris
                            • Sep 2008

ancient greece borrowed nearly half of their vocabulary from others, it has came down to us in popular cultural knowledge as greek, but like the gods of greece and its kadmian alphabet much of greek knowledge was borrowed from other nations.

no one would deny the greek contribution to the english language the same aproach should be taken towards the hellenic lanaguage.

Comment

• Sarafot
                              • Dec 2008

demos the words bela zora does not mean anythingng in greek, because ist not greek it was thracian. the point is why is a thracian city named using 2 slavic words 1000 years bc, if the slavs only started coming to the balkan as is the accpeted migration theory 700ad

regarding thallassa, you will find it is one of the many words the ancient greeks borrowed from others. it may be something you are not aware of , but its origins are definatley not hellenic, thats not the interesting bit, whats interesting is why it means waves in macedonian and the other slavic languages.
                              VILAZORA,Osiris,logicly you are right,i touth so to,but it is VILAZ=VLEZ=Entrance,and ORA=GORA=Mount,the name is assosiated with position of Veles=Vlez,city is the real entarnce in Pelagonia,probebly that is name assotiation,also it was a Paionnian(Macedonian tribe) establishment,not Tracian.
                              Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.
                              - Борис Сарафов, 2 септември 1902

Comment

• Delodephius
                                • Sep 2008

Bylazora couldn't possibly mean "Entrance into a Mountain" because there is no root *gora in the word. Ora does not equal Gora as you so purposely try to make it without any knowledge.
                                In OCS Bylazora would be Бѣлазора [bæɫɑzɔrɑ].
                                Last edited by Delodephius; 12-29-2008, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X