X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Constitutional quandary

Can anyone tell me how Australia fares given it is still ruled by the Queen of England and England is now in the EU .... how does that relate to Australia?

As an example of this:
    Section 68 of the Australian Constitution says: "The command in chief of the naval and military forces of the Commonwealth is vested in the Governor-General as the Queen's representative."
    I know from a practical viewpoint these ideas are absurd. But what has the UK given up to join the merry EU bandwagon and how does that tie in with Australia through our Monarchy?

Naturally an answer in 25 words or less is greatly appreciated.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • Coolski
    • Sep 2008

That's quite an interesting question Risto. Does it mean that England has forfeited its Kingdom's leadership role in Australia/ Canada or that Australia/Canada now has a super head of state, the EU President.
    - Секој чоек и нација има можност да успеат колку шо си дозволуваат. Нема изговор.
    - Every human and nation has the ability to be as great or as weak as they allow themselves to be. No excuses.

Comment

• Prolet
      • Sep 2009

Spolaj Ti Risto its a good topic

Everything about Australia is British even the flag, these are the people who civilized Australia, even the Anglo Saxons all have roots from the UK. Just like our roots come from Macedonia, the True Blue Aussies come from the UK
      МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

RTO you just hit a nerve & it's like a minefield.Your right the queen is a figurehead & our system is based on the westminster system.Whils't it may or may not affect us.It spells the end of the road for the monarchy.Australia should really consider her position as we may really need to change for a republic with the head as president pretty soon.The legal ramifications could be felt as yet.
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Rogi
          • Sep 2008

...and there's all this talk about Australia getting too close to China! Hah! What a bunch of hooplah!

If the above Constitutional argument holds true, then does that mean Australia is technically a colony of / occupied by the EU...

On that note, it sounds as if Australia is 'joining' the EU before Macedonia...

Comment

• Prolet
            • Sep 2009

Australia should be in Nato for sure.

Does this mean that if Australia is in the EU then All of Africa and South and Central America are there too because UK,Spain,Portugal and France are all in the EU.
            МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Bij
              • Oct 2009

yes... finally i have a crack at an EU passport! now i can check out all those museums afterhours posted with an EU discount

Comment

• Pelister
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Coolski View Post
                That's quite an interesting question Risto. Does it mean that England has forfeited its Kingdom's leadership role in Australia/ Canada or that Australia/Canada now has a super head of state, the EU President.
                The position is largely symbolic and ceremonial.

In actual affairs of war and State the "Queen" has no say.

The situtation with the E.U is entirely different because States are forced to relinquish soveriegn control and governance of their kingdom to foriegn bureacrats.

This political compromise is "bought" with the promise of money, the promise of prosperity and good times. A quick look at the performing economies of the E.U shows they are not doing so well, and they are all plagued with administrative and demographic problems. Look at Greece, as an example of a zenophobic, militant, fucked up State. The set of standards applied to Macedonia is a deceptive ruse to make Macedonians think that E.U is an elite club of only the best. I mean it is an obvious and simple distinction.

The last thing we need right now is an organization that turns the rest of us Macedonians into grovelling lap-dogs of the West, but lo and behold, that is what we are confronted with.

Comment

• Daniel
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                  Can anyone tell me how Australia fares given it is still ruled by the Queen of England and England is now in the EU .... how does that relate to Australia?
                  You are correct in that the Queen is the head of state, however, after the statues of Westminster (acts created in the UK in the 1930s), England relinquished control over the Australian legislative and executive (parliament, govenment, police etc.) and the Australia Acts of 1986 effectively relinquished all control by leaving the High court of Australia as the highest judiciary body.

In essence, Elizabeth is the queen of both Australia and England respectively, not Australia as a colony of England, so both England and the EU can do what ever they want and it wont effect Australia.

Comment

Working...
                  X