X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

No problem mate.
    Look at the acoustic Taylors & Guilds for my money.
    The Martins are a little more but you need to be sure they are solid.

The free shipping is the clincher ... they are losing a fortune on this ... don't tell anyone
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

Maybe even akeybord you can play anything.How about the tapan,or the tarabuka.
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
        Actually my go to guitar at the moment is a Gibson SG with dual p90 pickups. It has the right amount of grunt mixed in with the unique single coil sweetness of the p90. Always feel like I am on stage with Lou Reed on the Rock'n'roll Animal live album. A real 1970's rock guitar.

A couple of telecasters, an awesome Les Paul ... the list goes on.

A couple of JCM800s, the 50 watter is preferred for its raunchier tone.
        I play through a self made JTM45 copy most of the time lately though. I prefer the valve rectification that takes a bit of the harshness out as compared to the JCM800. Also a couple of boutique Vox AC type amps when I want to be Rory Gallagher for a bit. A favourite amp is an old 1960's Echolette which is more Marshall than any Marshall. I have more amps than guitars ... which is saying a fair bit. I will be building a Ken Fischer Trainwreck Express copy next. I've had the parts for about 2 years now ... no time.

My favourite strat is a 1976 hardtail. The tone is amazing even though I have to fight it every step of the way.

I won't even try to explain my recording equipment collection which is probably a national treasure!

I think it is evident I have a problem. Yet the bean counter in me has seen all of this stuff increase in value over the years. And some people buy shares. Go figure.

Risto's had the blues ever since Stevie Ray Vaughan died!

Phoenix, take note of the above batska, if you let it take hold of you, this is where the road leads... hehe

Riste you remind me of a good friend of mine, so much so that if I didn’t know any better I’d say you’re long lost brothers. I think “Whole lotta Riste” would be a more fitting name at present when looking at your go to guitar and amp. But something tells me you like a bit of variety hehe. Definitely got some top quality gear batska that’s for sure. I made a rule a while ago in my never ending quest for that signature tone, and that was to put a cap on quantity (I’ve slowly managed to reduce this to 7 axes in total, plus 2 basses and one vintage Tambura I found in Bitola about 5 years ago), I’ve got 4 keepers I just don’t think I could ever part with and it has more to do with history than anything else, I get emotionally attached sometimes, the other 3, well they are “expendable”, the rule is if I’m purchasing something new then it’s to replace one of the three (although admittedly I do break the rule sometimes). I’ve gone through a couple of Fender’s and Gibson’s, now only holding onto an 89 Les Paul Studio and a Fender Bass, again probably more for sentimental reasons (although for some reason the tone of this particular LP has some connection with me), but to be honest my regular go to guitar for a while has been a simple Ibanez RG570 which I’ve had for close to 20 years now, it’s got some pretty intense authentic battle damage and I honestly wouldn’t be able to tell you the amount of times I’ve changed the pick-up’s, electrics and hard ware on it, it’s definitely my Frankenstein monster. I’ve settled with a set of EMG active pick-up’s though for now, an 81 at the bridge, 60 at the neck and an S in between. I sort of went digital with my gear in the 90’s and now finding my way going back to the good old analogue roots, the Les Paul is getting more frequent appearances. Seen a couple of amps come and go as well, was stuck on the JCM 800 for a while, a 5150 combo made an appearance for a bit but I think MESA has cemented its place for now, Dual Solo Rectifier, just really hard to play since 2 on the volume knob is equivalent to 8 on most other amps and to get that oven temp right you have to crank it, so it’s basically in storage most of the year round. Hughes & Kettner also got me for clean tone, picked up a nice little combo a couple years back, biggest problem is finding that one amp with the diversity you want and that’s probably why for the last year or so I’ve been mucking around with an old Marshall valvestate that I've stuck an EL 34 in, which I’ve got running through an Ashdown bass cab interconnected with about 3 different EQ pedals, a few Compressors, Sonic maximiser, and some overdrives thrown in as well (I think the partial hearing loss and tinnitus are having an effect these days). Although I reckon I’m getting close, I can kind of feel it...

As for the recording equipment, if you’re still hanging on to tape for that undisputed “warm” sound, mate you need to let go hehe, I had absolutely no patience for it back in the days let alone to even think of editing tape now initiates a migraine, I’d hang on to the Yami NS10 monitors if you got them though.

Have you been open to expose your mind to some of the modern madness or happy enjoying the comforts of the classics?

“Go to musiciansfriend.com and select the used section”

Every time I try and get out, they pull me back in...
        “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
          • Jan 2009

I would recommend buying a acoustic guitar first, and the electric and amplifier later when you think you want to continue you on.

The theory is that all starting guitarists should start with acoustic first, it makes you a better player, learn basics, and you cant really be sloppy with acoustics, because your mistakes stand out a bit more. I think for a first time guitar buyer you shouldn't spend so much on the acoustic, especially if you are aiming to get a electric guitar later on.

For electric guitar, i think for your taste of music a gibson will do. The Gibson guitars are more for Rock n Roll and progressiveness stuff which you like, and they also do a pretty good "clean" tone as well, which again will be good for you and the music you like.

For the guitar amp i would recommend a Marshall which would suite your music. Maybe a bit left field but because you said you like stuff like Joy Division and stuff like that, maybe you can check out the Spider Line 6 guitar amps. They are pretty cool amps that have many different inbuilt special effects/sounds and channels/tones to muck around with. I think the amps clean tone is pretty good too, sounds almost like a acoustic.

Maybe you know this already but there are a lot of good sites out there with guitar tabs that teach you how to play guitar. I pretty much learned by my self by reading the tabs. The best tabs are the ones like powertab and guitarpro were the song plays along with you.

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Tomche Makedonche View Post
            Every time I try and get out, they pull me back in...
            Carlito's way indeed.
            Go on ... you know you want to.

Tomche, I fear this is the pot calling the kettle Eddie van Halen.
            EMG's and Mesa Dual Rectifiers .... so 1990's
            But I am sure you could pull some tones. I still love that tone.

I like the JTM45 tone because it can go from a full glassy clean tone to roar just by using the volume control on the guitar. Extra drive comes from a Fulltone Fulldrive.

Digital recording is the go definitely. My gear is mostly microphones including old valve Neumanns dating all the way back to the 1940's. Also a comprehensive collection of mic preamps, EQ's and compressors from Telefunken and others. Even Lenny Kravitz would be impressed.

I don't really think I could sell anything though I would be more inclined to follow the LIFO (last in first out) inventory methodology.

Ahhh, its all good fun and kept me off the streets when I was young. I still get a buzz out of playing. I find that playing for 15 minutes totally rewires my brain and allows me to find a calm that is otherwise elusive. Haven't played for a few weeks though! Grrrrrrr

Phoenix, as you can see ... it is all downhill from your first purchase mate.
            Risto the Great
            MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
            "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

I had a friend that recommended some spanish acoustic guitar,apparently they were better.Phoenix you could start playing & maybe you could post it so that we can hear it.
              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Phoenix
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                I had a friend that recommended some spanish acoustic guitar,apparently they were better.Phoenix you could start playing & maybe you could post it so that we can hear it.
                You'll have to buy it from iTunes George...

Comment

• Phoenix
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Big Bad Sven View Post
                  I would recommend buying a acoustic guitar first, and the electric and amplifier later when you think you want to continue you on.

The theory is that all starting guitarists should start with acoustic first, it makes you a better player, learn basics, and you cant really be sloppy with acoustics, because your mistakes stand out a bit more. I think for a first time guitar buyer you shouldn't spend so much on the acoustic, especially if you are aiming to get a electric guitar later on.

For electric guitar, i think for your taste of music a gibson will do. The Gibson guitars are more for Rock n Roll and progressiveness stuff which you like, and they also do a pretty good "clean" tone as well, which again will be good for you and the music you like.

For the guitar amp i would recommend a Marshall which would suite your music. Maybe a bit left field but because you said you like stuff like Joy Division and stuff like that, maybe you can check out the Spider Line 6 guitar amps. They are pretty cool amps that have many different inbuilt special effects/sounds and channels/tones to muck around with. I think the amps clean tone is pretty good too, sounds almost like a acoustic.

Maybe you know this already but there are a lot of good sites out there with guitar tabs that teach you how to play guitar. I pretty much learned by my self by reading the tabs. The best tabs are the ones like powertab and guitarpro were the song plays along with you.
                  Thanks BBS, I like and appreciate your guitar advice but your football advice sadly, sucks a big one...

The plan is to get an acoustic of some sorts and then let nature take its course, hopefully avoiding the irresistible pull of the 'Stringed Black Hole' that has consumed good men like Risto, Tomche, Origin and others...

Comment

• George S.
                    • Aug 2009

Phoenix are you sure your'e going to be that good & chicks will be falling at your feet.Your music is going to mesmerize them to buy that album.Are you seriously going to get guitar lessons or will you get them on a needs basis & the rest you just pick along as you go.
                    Have you thought of busking & getting public attention & hopefully their money.?In due time.
                    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Phoenix
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                      Phoenix are you sure your'e going to be that good & chicks will be falling at your feet.Your music is going to mesmerize them to buy that album.Are you seriously going to get guitar lessons or will you get them on a needs basis & the rest you just pick along as you go.
                      Have you thought of busking & getting public attention & hopefully their money.?In due time.
                      GS, have some faith in me brother...

Comment

• George S.
                        • Aug 2009

we do have faith.How long does it take to learn to play the guitar?There's a learn to play on you tube.I think we are overanxious.Make sure you learn some macedonian music.

GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                          Carlito's way indeed.
                          Go on ... you know you want to.

Tomche, I fear this is the pot calling the kettle Eddie van Halen.
                          EMG's and Mesa Dual Rectifiers .... so 1990's
                          But I am sure you could pull some tones. I still love that tone.

I like the JTM45 tone because it can go from a full glassy clean tone to roar just by using the volume control on the guitar. Extra drive comes from a Fulltone Fulldrive.

Digital recording is the go definitely. My gear is mostly microphones including old valve Neumanns dating all the way back to the 1940's. Also a comprehensive collection of mic preamps, EQ's and compressors from Telefunken and others. Even Lenny Kravitz would be impressed.

I don't really think I could sell anything though I would be more inclined to follow the LIFO (last in first out) inventory methodology.

Ahhh, its all good fun and kept me off the streets when I was young. I still get a buzz out of playing. I find that playing for 15 minutes totally rewires my brain and allows me to find a calm that is otherwise elusive. Haven't played for a few weeks though! Grrrrrrr

Haha, already did, just seen they have released a cheap and nasty replica of an RR1 I had custom built not too long ago, trying to get my hands on a used model to check it out, could be perfect to have lying around the house for a quick shred, but right now none available (ebati stopankata), so e-mail negotiations have commenced...

Hard to hide it ay, yes the 80’s virtuoso’s have left a pretty solid foot print, as much as Eddie blew me away I think Rhoads made the biggest impression (sort of why I was stuck on the JCM 800 with an MXR Distortion + and EQ pedal), he made me realise that true tone is really found in the fingers and technique, although admittedly the right gear helps for amateur hopefuls like myself . Jimi may have initially opened my mind, but Rhoads gave it focus.

Yes, EMG's and Rectifiers, can't get any more 90's cliché than that hehe but as cheesy as it may be, being honest with myself, it's the sound that I keep going back to, I still muck around with other gear and sounds, just depends what mood I'm in.

The JTM45 is one of those all time greats that’s for sure, if I ever managed to pick up an original, I would most likely frame it and have an inscription to the effect of “In an emergency, break glass”. It's been Angus’ true live rig for a long time, everything you see on stage is just for show, what your actually hearing live is simply an original JTM45 kept hidden away underneath the stage.

In regards to selling gear, I know where your coming from bate, naturally I'm a collector too but there comes a point where it just becomes storage and I'd rather it be enjoyed and played like they were designed to, even if that has to be by someone else, thats why I made the decision to cap quantity, it was a hard one, but I think it was the right one

"I find that playing for 15 minutes totally rewires my brain and allows me to find a calm that is otherwise elusive"

You and me, we speak the same language, and I say Amen to that bate, Amen to that…I’ve said it before, while Maths maybe the language of the Universe, Music is the language of the Soul, I think the Komshija are going to have to brace themselves this afternoon...

But it's all good batska, just remember though, if you come to a point when you willingly pay $800 for a light globe, you may need to have a sit down and rethink your life hehe
                          “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• George S.
                            • Aug 2009

Also if you could sing you could go for the euro song contest eventually.If you're good enough.
                            Last edited by George S.; 06-10-2012, 10:54 PM. Reason: ed
                            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Phoenix
                              • Dec 2008

Risto and Tomche, great exchange of conversation guys.
                              I have loved reading your posts, although the technical jargon hasn't meant too much, the passion has been wonderfully contagious...

Comment

• George S.
                                • Aug 2009

Phoenix how about those jokers that play everything drums etc at the same time.They are versatile at parties They play like a one man band.So don't forget what tom told you the gajda & surley & you could play them on certain occasions & not all the time.
                                I hope you don't give it up after all that.If you go to a decent person who teaches guitar it may not be thyat expensive.You only got to pick up the basics & practice will make you perfect.
                                Last edited by George S.; 06-11-2012, 04:58 AM. Reason: ed
                                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                                X