Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Phoenix, I've enjoyed the chat with Tomche too.
    In fact, I've enjoyed his posts for quite a while.
    Interestingly though, I am now imagining him making all his posts in spandex pants and make up and it just isn't having quite the same impact any more.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Tomche Makedonche View Post
      Hard to hide it ay, yes the 80’s virtuoso’s have left a pretty solid foot print, as much as Eddie blew me away I think Rhoads made the biggest impression (sort of why I was stuck on the JCM 800 with an MXR Distortion + and EQ pedal), he made me realise that true tone is really found in the fingers and technique, although admittedly the right gear helps for amateur hopefuls like myself . Jimi may have initially opened my mind, but Rhoads gave it focus.
      Back then it was SRV and straight on to Steve Vai for me. Nothing in between really. But listening to Rhoads nowadays is still very enjoyable. I traded this beautiful Fernandes Strat copy for a some crap Kramer Floyd Rose thingo and took about 10 years to work out I need to be back on Strats.

Yes, EMG's and Rectifiers, can't get any more 90's cliché than that hehe but as cheesy as it may be, being honest with myself, it's the sound that I keep going back to
      Nothing wrong with that sound whatsoever! My mate raves about his Dual Rectifier for good reason (which is #4 off the production line). It sounds great.

The JTM45 is one of those all time greats that’s for sure, if I ever managed to pick up an original, I would most likely frame it and have an inscription to the effect of “In an emergency, break glass”. It's been Angus’ true live rig for a long time, everything you see on stage is just for show, what your actually hearing live is simply an original JTM45 kept hidden away underneath the stage.
      A Strat through one of these is a revelation. Of course the Angus sound is nothing the be sneezed at. I would hate to have just one amp. The amp gives me far more tonal diversity than a guitar does.

I have this old valve PA from Klemt Echolette (M40) that is basically a Vox AC30 topology. I think I paid about $20 for it 15 years ago. This thing screams at full blast. Brian May mixed in with God knows what else.

In regards to selling gear, I know where your coming from bate, naturally I'm a collector too but there comes a point where it just becomes storage and I'd rather it be enjoyed and played like they were designed to, even if that has to be by someone else, thats why I made the decision to cap quantity, it was a hard one, but I think it was the right one
      I find it a motivator. I keep a couple of guitars at the office. I am building a holiday house at the moment so I will need a couple there. You know how it goes ... I am an idiot.

I really regretted trading my first Fernandes and a Gibson SG I used to own. This is why I hate selling anything now.

Music is the language of the Soul, I think the Komshija are going to have to brace themselves this afternoon...
      I did that yesterday. I came flying downstairs screaming "Thank you goodnight" my sons think I am mental .. but all their mates reckon I rock ... good for the street cred!

just remember though, if you come to a point when you willingly pay $800 for a light globe, you may need to have a sit down and rethink your life hehe
      Paid more for less. The thrill of the chase!
      Risto the Great

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
        • Oct 2011

Phoenix
        Whether you’re in to the instrument or production side of things or not, having a connection with, or an appreciation of music, even from purely a listeners perspective, regardless of what type of style you’re in to, is good medicine for the soul

Riste
        Surprised Satriani didn’t make an imprint before Vai (usually the normal stepping stone), Vai eventually got me to buy my first Ibanez, just like Rhoads did with Jackson before that, Hendrix with the Strat, Lynch had me buy my first ESP, Al Di Meola with PRS, Petrucci with Music Man, the list goes on (can probably see why I decided/needed to make some rules), curiosity has always been my vice in this department, it was never good enough to just try the thing, no for some reason I had to take it home with me and “experiment”...

“took about 10 years to work out I need to be back on Strats”

The early nineties did wonders for Fender, every grunge / alternate band in those days got everyone back to rocking the Strat’s, but I know where you’re coming from, it’s hard to leave your roots, somehow they make their way back into your life.

"I have this old valve PA from Klemt Echolette (M40) that is basically a Vox AC30 topology. I think I paid about $20 for it 15 years ago."

If it can pull a tone anywhere close to May’s “News of the World” tone, sounds like a top find for that kind of money, like I said I tried to get onto the whole digital wave in the late nineties and mucked around heaps with the simulators etc, found a Didgitech pedal board in 2003 which had this function of warping a range of heads and cabinets together, I was intrigued so I picked it up, lost plenty of hours fiddling about with it and in the end I realised that no matter what type of sound I created, it was just too dry and artificial for my liking, had no back end, no warmth, no fullness, regardless of what type of amp I actually tried it through, I still held on to it though and use it now only for home recording purposes, more practical than trying to mic an amp up these days.

"You know how it goes ... I am an idiot"
        Not at all mate, we've just got a passion, it’s a good thing, don’t let anyone tell you different

"I did that yesterday. I came flying downstairs screaming "Thank you goodnight" my sons think I am mental .. but all their mates reckon I rock ... good for the street cred!"

Haha, funny enough the neighbours have come to expect it these days, they get worried when too much time passes between sessions

"Interestingly though, I am now imagining him making all his posts in spandex pants and make up and it just isn't having quite the same impact any more."

Bate, you’re forgetting the torn fishnet bodystocking, come to think of it though Riste, the image of an Angus like figure in that iconic rebellious private school boy uniform is starting to make some sense in a weird way hehe

Seeing as though music has led us to these perceptions, I think it only fitting that we try and use music to clarify them (however hard that may be now hehe). If I had to give an example of where this never ending life endeavour of a musical rollercoaster has led me to after all these years (although in no means limited to it) it would probably be best defined by the following example:

Dream Theater Instrumedley Full HD version multi display - "The Dance of Instrumentals" - YouTube

Having said that, an automatic chemical reaction, equivalent to that of having your red blood cells instantaneously ignite, to date for some reason still occurs whenever I hear something along the lines of the following...

Angele Dimovski - Zelenikovka - YouTube
        Last edited by Tomche Makedonche; 06-11-2012, 07:28 PM.
        “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Phoenix
          • Dec 2008

Phoenix
          Whether you’re in to the instrument or production side of things or not, having a connection with, or an appreciation of music, even from purely a listeners perspective, regardless of what type of style you’re in to, is good medicine for the soul
          Absolutely...I think music has such a profound seminal quality to ones development and can stand as a marker of many personal experiences throughout ones lifetime.

For me personally, there's something really special and exciting about hearing a song that absolutely gets your attention first time up or the joy of that song that just 'grows on you' with time...

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

Tomche, Dream Theater had me for a moment but this guy still inspires me on so many levels:

Little Wing - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - YouTube

It is the reason I will play guitar until I die I suspect. The soulful playing is dripping with emotion and even though I know he is a derived product of so many original thoughts from other musicians, I still have to say he did it the best and in a way that has never been done before.

Both my sons have an eclectic taste in music. But when this tune comes on, they hail the almighty SRV .... as we all must.

Well, this thread will now be officially hijacked from Phoenix ... lets make it a guitarists musical treat!
            Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

I always loved Free and still think they are under appreciated.

Free - Mr Big - YouTube

Listen to Kossof on the Les Paul through Marshall ... my goodness ... & Rodgers doing his thing on vocals. So many tried to copy his voice in the 80's.

The bass lines, wow ... the fist time I ever noticed the bass guitar was when listening to Free!
              Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Rory Gallagher.
                An Irish guy playing the blues!
                So authentic no matter all his other influences.
                Half dead Stratocaster (sometimes Telecaster) through a Vox AC30.
                Exquisite.

Rory Gallagher : A Million Miles Away - YouTube

I gotta get me a spiral guitar cord. I'm feeling a little retro today!
                Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

Living Colour
                  This got me going when there was barely anything to celebrate musically back in the day:

Living Colour - Cult Of Personality - YouTube
                  Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Great band. Faith no more ... the singer Mike Patton is a voice on many very well known video games nowadays. One the great rock singers:

Faith No More - Epic - [Official video] - YouTube

Always comforting to hear a BIG Marshall tone.
                    Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

I tried to get onto the whole digital wave in the late nineties and mucked around heaps with the simulators etc, found a Didgitech pedal board in 2003 which had this function of warping a range of heads and cabinets together, I was intrigued so I picked it up, lost plenty of hours fiddling about with it and in the end I realised that no matter what type of sound I created, it was just too dry and artificial for my liking, had no back end, no warmth, no fullness, regardless of what type of amp I actually tried it through, I still held on to it though and use it now only for home recording purposes, more practical than trying to mic an amp up these days.
                      I traded a wonderful JCM 800 back in the early 90's for a Gallien Kruger amp. It had a huge sound for a little amp. The problem was that it was not a huge sound for a huge amp ... which meant it sounded like a piece of bacon being cooked in too much oil when I was on stage. What on Earth was I thinking. Anyway, out it went ... a million amps later I really struggle to play anything that doesn't have glowing preamp & output valves in it! Such a snob.
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

When I heard this band I finally let out a sigh of relief. Music was not going to be dead in the 21st century:

Radiohead - Paranoid Android (on Jools Holland, 1997) - YouTube

RADIOHEAD (live, no less)
                        Risto the Great

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                          • Oct 2011

"Well, this thread will now be officially hijacked from Phoenix ... lets make it a guitarists musical treat!"

Carefull what you wish for, this could turn epic...

SRV = Respect, Little Wing has been my personal Hendrix favourite, have heard a lot of pretenders give it a go but until tonight, I think I've finally heard someone take it and make it their own, definitely got loads of soul in those fingers

Like I said before, personally for me, the tone and technique of Rhoads still inspires me today, in one word: "Legend"

Ozzy Osbourne - After Hours Performance, NY 28.04.1981 - YouTube
                          Last edited by Tomche Makedonche; 06-12-2012, 11:14 AM.
                          “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                            • Oct 2011

In my opinion one of the all time greatest guitar riffs ever, Tool did a decent cover of this in the 90's, worth a listen as well.

No Quarter - YouTube

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                              • Oct 2011

Great Canadian Trio, although the drummer is probably the standout musician, still influencial in getting me on to the Prog

rush limelight music video - YouTube

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                                • Oct 2011

John Sykes, brilliant guitarist, absolute shredder

★★★ Whitesnake - "Crying In The Rain" & John Sykes Solo | Rock In Rio, Brazil, 11/01/1985 - YouTube

Comment

Working...
                                X