Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • osiris
    • Sep 2008

here is the sound of ancient greek from homeric to platonic.

Homer, Ancient Greek pronunciation, Classical Greek, epos, epic, hexameter, greek, Iliad, Troy, Trojan war, Plato, Symposion, Agamemnon, Aischylos, Ancient Greek

can anyone here see a continuity to modern greek i certainly cant.
    Last edited by osiris; 02-15-2009, 05:25 AM.

Comment

• Delodephius
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
      Fake does not make a great leap from artificial.
      Sorry, but you'll have to write a definition of it. I tried searching Google for "fake language" but only thing I got was about the fake way of speaking, like when someone is trying to speak like someone else.
      अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
      उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
      This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
      But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.

Comment

• TerraNova
        Banned
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
        For what its worth, I do not feel that it is a fake language. It WAS real 2000 years ago.
        But it did not represent a natural development path due to being imposed on the various races of modern Greece 180 years ago. Dimko's meaning of "fake" refers to this imposition and the fact that it was a historical language that nobody spoke. Fair call IMO.
        Now consider what a nonsense you have already told.
        The accent have changed throughout the last 30 centuries ,and despite that nobody was talking Greek.

Comment

• TerraNova
          Banned
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Slovak/Anomaly/Tomas View Post
          Compared to Modern Greek, how much is Classical Greek different? I know some of you speak Greek, so I was just wondering what's your lay opinion about it compared to the ancient version. How much can you understand and what about the accent?

YouTube - The Iliad XXIV
          Well ,it is not clear how did Homeric Greek sound.

This is more or less the "erasmian" accent as it was proposed before some centuries.
          More accurately,erasmian performed by a robot.

I personally think that the accent for vowels was different (otherwise there would be one symbol for "i" (like in"it") and not 5 as in modern Greek ι,η,ει,οι,υ)
          For the consonants i can't see why "δ"/"Δ" was "d" and not "th".

Anyway,that's just a small note-it's a huge issue for sure.

Comment

• Spartan
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by osiris View Post
            here is the sound of ancient greek from homeric to platonic.

Homer, Ancient Greek pronunciation, Classical Greek, epos, epic, hexameter, greek, Iliad, Troy, Trojan war, Plato, Symposion, Agamemnon, Aischylos, Ancient Greek

can anyone here see a continuity to modern greek i certainly cant.
            Its hard to know how ancient greek sounded for certain, so itd hard to judge the continuity in an oral sense from the few examples posted here. However, there is no question, imo, to the continuity of the language, as SoM mentioned earlier, in its written form.

Comment

• TerraNova
              Banned
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
              Its hard to know how ancient greek sounded for certain, so itd hard to judge the continuity in an oral sense from the few examples posted here. However, there is no question, imo, to the continuity of the language, as SoM mentioned earlier, in its written form.
              So..my Laconian friend...it seems you are not sure if Greek language has a continuity in its oral form??..

Do you really doubt about it.. ?

Comment

• Spartan
                • Sep 2008

Of course its continued
                I personally dont doubt it
                Any scholar will tell you the same Im sure
                What im saying is that wouldnt it be hard to pinpoint exactly how it has developed orally, since we cant be 100% sure exactly how Ancient Greek was pronounced to compare it to now?
                Tell me, are experts 100% on how ancient Greek was pronounced?
                If yes, and this has already been established, I stand corrected.
                Last edited by Spartan; 02-15-2009, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

It hasn't been established, this idiot Terry Novak is trying to bait you into a worthless argument by denying your 'Greekness' if you don't fall in line with his extremely demented views.

It is not a matter of if it survived throughout the ages, but who spoke it and ensured its survival? People who considered Hellenes as devils and worthy of being burnt to death?

How and where exactly in 'Old Greece' (Peloponnese to Thessaly) did the Greek language demonstrate continuity in the local vernacular as opposed to the language of education, religion and trade, I am interested to see the evidence of it.
                  In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• TerraNova
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                    It hasn't been established, this idiot Terry Novak is trying to bait you into a worthless argument by denying your 'Greekness' if you don't fall in line with his extremely demented views.

It is not a matter of if it survived throughout the ages, but who spoke it and ensured its survival? People who considered Hellenes as devils and worthy of being burnt to death?
                    Wheren't these people children of the Pagans?

How and where exactly in 'Old Greece' (Peloponnese to Thessaly) did the Greek language demonstrate continuity in the local vernacular as opposed to the language of education, religion and trade, I am interested to see the evidence of it.
                    If you re really interested..

Language of the education was generally imitation of attic-since the Byzantine era...taking the form of "Katharevousa" in the 19th century.

People's everyday language is recorded in folk songs,epic Akritika songs etc,in the Byzantine era -In the 19th-20th century is what is called Demotiki.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

Wheren't these people children of the Pagans?
                      All Christians are ultimately children of Pagans. Cease your vague clownery.
                      People's everyday language is recorded in folk songs,epic Akritika songs etc,in the Byzantine era -In the 19th-20th century is what is called Demotiki.
                      WHO spoke it though? Albanians? The link you provided is from Peter Trudgill, do you even know what he says about 'Greece' during the 15th century? He has estimated that it was 45% populated by Albanians.

So, some have estimated that, when the Ottomans conquered the whole Greek territory in the XV century, some 45% of it was populated by Albanians (Trudgill, 1975:6).

Tell me, is Petros Trudgill still your friend?
                      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• TerraNova
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                        All Christians are ultimately children of Pagans. Cease your vague clownery.

WHO spoke it though? Albanians? The link you provided is from Peter Trudgill, do you even know what he says about 'Greece' during the 15th century? He has estimated that it was 45% populated by Albanians.

Tell me, is Petros Trudgill still your friend?

How is your post connected to the discussion about modern and ancient GREEK language ?

(Remember you deleted my post with quotes of Goce Delcev's and Dame Gruev's letters
                        ,declaring themselves Bulgarians in another thread....as irrelevant to Pavlos Melas letters )

Comment

• Sarafot
                          • Dec 2008

Tomas while playing the game RTR,one of famus unit name is writen this way ''PEZHETEROI'' in our language PEZETERI,but when i read that i cant help my self to translated it in PEŽETEROI=PEŠETERI=PEŠADIJA!!
                          Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.
                          - Борис Сарафов, 2 септември 1902

Comment

• TerraNova
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Sarafot View Post
                            Tomas while playing the game RTR,one of famus unit name is writen this way ''PEZHETEROI'' in our language PEZETERI,but when i read that i cant help my self to translated it in PEŽETEROI=PEŠETERI=PEŠADIJA!!
                            ΠΕΖΕΤΑΙΡΟΙ=
                            ΠΕΖ-(ΟΙ)+ΕΤΑΙΡΟΙ

=PEZETEROI=
                            PEZ-(OI)+ETEROI

pezoi=on foot/walkers
                            eteroi=Companions

Eteroi was the heavy cavalry. Eteroi=Companions.

Comment

• Delodephius
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Sarafot View Post
                              It's of an Indo-European root. Neither specifically Greek nor specifically Macedonian. There are plenty of common sounding and meaning words in Greek and Slavic languages. If you would read Linear B Greek you'll be surprised how much you could understand.
                              अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
                              उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
                              This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
                              But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                                • Sep 2008

Slovak, do you have any examples of this?

Comment

Working...
                                X