• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ohrid77
    Banned
    • Nov 2009

Assimilated Macedonians?

I was recently having a talk with my father concerning the Torbesh community in Macedonia. It seems that many of the new generation Torbesh consider themselves Albanian and I was wondering how long has this process has been taking place. Surely some of these Albanians living in Macedonia have to be of Macedonian descent. Some of these Albanians where probably Macedonian Muslim but over time identified as Albanian. Many Albanians have the suffix “ski” on their surname which indicates some Macedonian roots in my opinion.

What are your thoughts on this matter?

On a side note, do you notice any physical differences between the Albanians and the Macedonians?
  • Rogi
    • Sep 2008

It has been taking place for the last 50 years, they've been flipping quite randomly one way, then another depending on the circumstance and the time.

That's why there are such massive fluctuations of the number of Muslims in the country and we can estimate close to 100,000 Macedonian Muslims in the Republic of Macedonia.

But although it's not unlike the Grkomani who flip back and forth, you have to place some real blame on the Orthodox Macedonians for this one, because we have ostracised the Macedonian Muslim population so much that they couldn't help but feel unwanted and betrayed.

Comment

• Jankovska
      • Sep 2008

I lot were poturceni, some by force but most accepted the Turkish faith (Muslim faith) and wanted to live and be Turks thinking that we will never free ourselves. They were spioni and betrayed the Macedonian people in a way so were never wanted. They feel closer to the Albanians because of their same god.
      This is my understanding anyway
      As for us being at fault I disagree complitley. Both sides are at fault but nowdays in Macedonia the Muslims are more strict about being wth Macedonians than the other way round.
      Last edited by Jankovska; 01-14-2010, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Ohrid77 View Post
        Many Albanians have the suffix “ski” on their surname which indicates some Macedonian roots in my opinion.
        I wouldn't place much reliance on that.
        Risto the Great
        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Ohrid77
          Banned
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
          I wouldn't place much reliance on that.
          Why not?

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

For obvious reasons.

You have been missing for a while Ohrid77, I recall you disappeared right about the time you began to exhibit signs of being an ethnic Albanian, who was trying a little too hard to be a Macedonian pretender.

Why is it that every topic you involve yourself in is about ethnic Albanians in Macedonia?
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

Why not?

I know ethnic Albanians from Macedonia who had "ski" added to their surnames in Yugo times.
              Risto the Great

Comment

• Ohrid77
                Banned
                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                For obvious reasons.

You have been missing for a while Ohrid77, I recall you disappeared right about the time you began to exhibit signs of being an ethnic Albanian, who was trying a little too hard to be a Macedonian pretender.

Why is it that every topic you involve yourself in is about ethnic Albanians in Macedonia?
                Instead of resorting to ad hominem attacks maybe you can give your thoughts on the topic on hand.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

O77, we do like people to be honest here.
                  We have had Greeks pretend to be Macedonians.
                  We now possibly have Albanians pretending to be Macedonians.
                  It gets tiresome.
                  Risto the Great

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

Instead of resorting to ad hominem attacks maybe you can give your thoughts on the topic on hand.
                    Thanks for the lesson in Latin, I hear that Romance languages, along with Macedonian and Serbian, form the majority of words in the 'horrible' (or something to that effect according to your own words) Albanian language. Perhaps you can explain a little more on that point, as it relates to assimilation.

That is much better than resorting to 'ad hominem' lies about your true identity. And I will, 'ad hominem', pursue any member here that I believe is being deceitful.
                    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

Working...
                    X