When Will We Stop Shooting Ourselves In The Foot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makgerman
    • Nov 2009

It is difficult for a Macedonian in Rep of Macedonia to fully understand the different dialects let alone for foreign Macedonians who are used to the dialect spoken at home only.

One of my classes in Macedonia was made up of students from different parts of Macedonia such as Skopje, Prilep, Tetovo, Stip, Kratovo, Veles, Kumanovo, Kriva Palanka, Kavardarci etc. At the start it was very amusing - during class everyone spoke to the teachers in the official "Macedonian" however during the breaks everyone stuck to their own dialect/slang - Skopjanec po Skopski, Kumanovec swearing po Kumanovski, Prilepcanec Prilepski etc. Everyone accepted the way they spoke and I cannot recall a single instance of a student downgrading another for the way they spoke.

We should all be aware that just about every town in Macedonia has a different dialect. I personally believe the Macedonian language will evolve and become more common throughout Macedonia in the future. The dialects may remain but the language will be uniform - similar to comparing the English spoken by an American or by an Australian or South African etc.

Another thing I observed in Macedonia is that every Macedonian gets accustomed to the language of the area/town they live in. The first generation uses the language/dialect they left behind. The second or third generation onwards adopts the area's dialect.

Comment

Working...
    X