Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

No hard feelings at all bate, za ova ne priznavam, pechurka is the word! It is not Serb at all, that is a false assumption Sarafot, people in Lerin also use it and they were not under Serb occupation. Furthermore, people in Bulgaria use it also, so it cannot be 'Serbish', and if you think otherwise show me a dictionary or some other text that claims this word as 'Serb' by origin.

Also, Prilepcani say Makedonci as Makedonci, they often substitute the letter 'kj' (not 'k') with 'ch'.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Delodephius
      • Sep 2008

In the Slavonic language continuum one cannot claim of which origin one word is or isn't.
      अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
      उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
      This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
      But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.

Comment

• Sarafot
        • Dec 2008

Hey bro,look:
        Na Makedonski:

Na Angliski:

My porpouse is that ''Gaba'' is the official word for mushroom in Macedonian,well belive or not Pečurka is more like every day use in some part but not official,tray to convince Strumičanec that ''FRENKI'' is not the official word for tomatto!

Na Bugarski:

Na Srpski:
        Last edited by Sarafot; 01-03-2009, 12:50 PM.
        Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.
        - Борис Сарафов, 2 септември 1902

Comment

• Delodephius
          • Sep 2008

Where I live in my town we say "jabĺčko" for tomato. In the neighbouring village of Kulpín they say "paradajka", in Hložany they say "rajčiak", in Kysáč they say "patlidžám", in some other "rajčica" or "rajčina", etc. This all in a 20 km radius. The names for many other things are also quite different, like for species of fish. All names are correct and valid and I encourage their usage in their respective communities.
          अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
          उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
          This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
          But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Sarafot, if 'gaba' is the official word it would be represented in the dictionaries, as it turns out it is not.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
              • Sep 2008

Now that the mushroom war has come to a stand-still..........I would like to show an interesting comparison. Below is the sentence "I want to go outside" written in East, West and South Slavic languages, and compared to Macedonian.

Ja hocu viijti. (Russian, Ukranian)
              Chcę iść na zewnątrz. (Polish)
              Chci jít ven. (Czech)
              Chcem ísť von. (Slovak)
              Hočem iti ven (Slovenian)
              Želim otići van. (Croatian, Serbian)
              Iskam da izlezem nav'n. (Bulgarian)
              Sakam da izlezam nadvor. (Macedonian)
              I would understand half of what the Bulgarian, Croat, Serb and Slovene are saying and virtually none of the rest.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Clearly Bulgarian is the closest and we would still have to learn a new word to understand this phrase.
                Risto the Great
                MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Bratot
                  • Sep 2008

Chcę iść na zewnątrz. (Polish)

"Outside" has 2 more versions in the Polish language:

1.Chcę iść na pole ( The south-eastern regions)

2.Chcę iść na dwór ( Silesia/Central Poland)
                  The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Bratot
                    2.Chcę iść na dwór ( Silesia/Central Poland)
                    Interesting, that is closer. I got most of the translations from googletranslate, Bratot, which one is literary Polish?

Also, how far does your Macedonian get you with Polish-speaking people? Is it because you have taken an active interest in language and history that you have a better ear for it? Would a Macedonian villager from Bitola (for example), be able to conversate with them? In my own experience I would have to say no, absolutely no, I listen to Polish sometimes on the news-radio and I can understand pretty much only %5 of what they are saying, this probably has something to do with their speech and accent also, but still, there is no way I could follow a conversation of theirs. Same goes for East Slavic, although I could probably understand a little more from them.
                    Originally posted by RtG
                    Clearly Bulgarian is the closest and we would still have to learn a new word to understand this phrase.
                    The longer the sentence, the larger the difference (in most cases), I will post some more example later.

Comment

• Bratot
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                      Interesting, that is closer. I got most of the translations from googletranslate, Bratot, which one is literary Polish?

Also, how far does your Macedonian get you with Polish-speaking people? Is it because you have taken an active interest in language and history that you have a better ear for it? Would a Macedonian villager from Bitola (for example), be able to conversate with them? In my own experience I would have to say no, absolutely no, I listen to Polish sometimes on the news-radio and I can understand pretty much only %5 of what they are saying, this probably has something to do with their speech and accent also, but still, there is no way I could follow a conversation of theirs. Same goes for East Slavic, although I could probably understand a little more from them.
                      Na zewnątrz and na dwór are literary Polish.

There are so many common words and very close language relation between Macedonian and Polish.

Because Poland is very big country, the dialects within can vary pretty much, but even so Polish language is close to Macedonian.

The accent differs a lot and their pronouncing lets say, but the root in most of the words is common.

And about your question I would say it's pretty individual since that depend on your sense/gift for languages, many Macedonians can't understand anything in Bulgarian for ex.
                      You have to listen and intuitionally to catch the meaning, I have seen Macedonian and Polish guy talking on their own languages and even it looked funny and sometimes the conversations got stucked but they were able to understand eachother in 60-70% of the whole conversation.

In the Polish you have to take the fact that the German and latin languages through the church and location made also not-less significant influence.
                      The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

Thanks for the explanation Bratot, sound and logical.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

I just typed this in googletranslate:
                          We had something to eat, after that we went to see our friends, who live near our house.
                          This is what it translates to in Polish:
                          Mieliśmy coś do jedzenia, po tym poszliśmy zobaczyć naszych przyjaciół, którzy mieszkają w pobliżu naszego domu.
                          I have to honestly say, had I not wrote the english part, understanding the Polish part would pose a difficulty.

Comment

• Bratot
                            • Sep 2008

Mieliśmy coś do jedzenia, po tym poszliśmy zobaczyć naszych przyjaciół, którzy mieszkają w pobliżu naszego domu.
                            Characteristic for the polish language is using -ie in the words as a replacement for the Macedonian -J and Њ

ś=sh=ш

ó = у

ł= л

sz = sh= ш

rz = ż

---------------------------

Mieliśmy = Mieli me = Imali me = Imavme

coś = neśto

do= za/do/da

jedzenia = jadenia = jadenja =jadenje

po tym = po tim/tom = po toa = potoa
                            poszliśmy = pośli my = pośli me (serbian: pośli su) = pośol/poshol > poidov me =pojdovme

"zobaczyć" means "to see" same as "widzieć" in Polish (both words of same meaning and use), we don't have similar word to "zobaczyć" but we have same root for "widzieć" = vidjeć= vidjet =videt = vide/vidi

naszych = nashih = nashi

przyjaciół = przyjaciul > pryjatiul = prijatiel = prijatel

którzy = kturzi - kto rzi - kto żi = kto shi = koi shto

mieszkają or żyje in polish, the first one is more used in meaning of - reside/residence and the second one is - to live

żyje = żije = żive> żivee

w = v =vo

pobliżu = poblizu = poblizku = poblisku -po blisko

naszego = nashego = nashe - nasheto = nashiot

domu = dom

Lets see now on Macedonian:
                            Imavme neśto da jademe, potoa pojdovme da gi vidime nashite prijateli koishto żiveat vo blizina na nashiot dom.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                              • Sep 2008

Bratot, as a Macedonian speaker, do you find East Slavic or West Slavic easier to understand? Can you explain why? Cheers.

Comment

• Bratot
                                • Sep 2008

There are too many variations witnin each language, but the language closer geographically is always easier to understand as a result of the everyday or more often communication among the bordering languages.

The biggest barrier between south/east and west slavic languages is the alphabet, especially for the western slavic speaking countries.

Since the eastern slavic languages use the Cyrillic alphabet those languages in my opinion preserve closer relations to our Macedonian language.

For me it's easy to understand equally both, east and west slavic languages, since I have the everyday contact with those languages and of course a pre-knowledge basis that every native Macedonian speaker possess compared to the rest.

Comment

Working...
                                X