X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mactruth
    • Dec 2010

Macedonian journalists detained in Lerin

Skopje. Two Macedonian journalists, who have been previously arrested this morning by Greek police in Florina, have been released after an officer with the municipal administration gave up on the idea to initiate a lawsuit against them, Dnevnik daily informed.
    Kanal 5 TV journalists had taken photos of Greek nationals with Macedonian origin, who were filing documents to issue a birth certificate. The officer filed a claim over illegal picture taking. A journalist with Vesti daily, was arrested as an accomplice.
    The two detainees said that the police approached the case correctly.

Milena Gjorgievska of daily Vest and Goran Momirovski of Kanal 5 were detained by Greek police earlier today while visiting Lerin with a group of Macedonians.

The group of Macedonians, all currently living in Skopje were born in Lerin and visited the small city to obtain their birth certificates.

-Myself and colleague Momirovski accompanied around 15 Macedonians from Skopje all hailing from Aegean Macedonia who for years can't obtain their birth certificate from local authorities. The official told them they need to go to the Greek consulate to obtain their birth certificates. They requested an explanation as to why would they need to go to a Consulate when they were born in Lerin and the certificates were here. The official was a woman so when she saw myself and Momirovski holding a camera, she became hysterical and called the police." says Gjorgievska.

"We were detained for two hours by the police, they took our passports and the cameras. Once they realized we were not there to film their offices and there was no footage on the camera, we were freed," adds Gjorgievska.
    The Macedonian consul in Solun upon hearing of the detainment of Macedonian journalists was on his way to Lerin. Meanwhile the SE European Journalist Association SEEMO was alarmed about the incident. This isn't the first time Macedonian journalists are detained in Greece.
    Greece of course had their own version of the incident: Greece's consulate in Skopje came out with a press release stating "Macedonian journalists were filming inside Governmental building hence the detainment". This contradictory stattement came despite the fact Greek police found no footage shot in or around the Government offices.
    As part of their program, each year both Vest and Kanal5 send journalists to visit the Lerin region and film Macedonians celebrating holidays.
  • BigMak
    Banned
    • Jan 2009

what a unfortunate situation. hassled for no apparent reason

was there any backlash from the local Ethnic Macedonian population in Lerin, my guess no.

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

typical paranoid greek behavior.Even if they filmed government buildings what's the big deal whopie doo.I think it's just harrasment for no other reason.
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Zarni
        Banned
        • May 2011

Wy cant the local Macedonains surround the Police, stone them and protest rather then being good Greeks

Comment

• Phoenix
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by BigMak View Post
          what a unfortunate situation. hassled for no apparent reason

was there any backlash from the local Ethnic Macedonian population in Lerin, my guess no.
          There was a time when the Macedonians stood their ground, sadly those generations left Egejska many decades ago...

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
            • Nov 2009

Ослободени македонските новинари кои беа приведени во Грција - YouTube
            Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле Страшниот Чакаларов гркоубиец и крвожеден комитаџија.

Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море. Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

good point zarni they should revolt,now is the time to kick some greek butt & show them what a few macedonian hands can do & rocks can do maybe add some molotov cocktails as well.
              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
              X