X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraganOfStip
    • Aug 2011

carnivorous or vegetarian?

Since I saw many new posts unrelated to the ultimate goal of this forum (the truth about Macedonia) I decided to give my 2 cents on an unrelated subject as well.
    I am passionate in cooking (I can almost regard myself as semi-pro).I've learned alot during my job as a waiter just by observing chefs in the kitchen (I used to help them in rush hours) and it attracts me.
    When I turn on the TV my default channel is the food channel .
    I'd like to hear your thought regarding people's diet,do you like carnivorous or vegetarian diet?
    I personally can't imagine a meal without meat included in it.
    If i have to,I'd just open a can of fish or spread some meat/fish pate on bread but I will consume some meat at least once a day.
    How about you guys?
    Last edited by DraganOfStip; 09-08-2014, 08:36 AM.
    ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
    ― George Orwell
  • Philosopher
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by DraganOfStip View Post
    Since I saw many new posts unrelated to the ultimate goal of this forum (the truth about Macedonia) I decided to give my 2 cents on an unrelated subject as well.
    I am passionate in cooking (I can almost regard myself as semi-pro).I've learned alot during my job as a waiter just by observing chefs in the kitchen (I used to help them in rush hours) and it attracts me.
    When I turn on the TV my default channel is the food channel .
    I'd like to hear your thought regarding people's diet,do you like carnivorous or vegetarian diet?
    I personally can't imagine a meal without meat included in it.
    If i have to,I'd just open a can of fish or spread some meat/fish pate on bread but I will consume some meat at least once a day.
    How about you guys?
    This subject is one of my principal interests in life, and I can fairly say I am an expert on it.

Animal foods, including dairy and fish, are second class foods. What this means is that you are eating an animal that either ate vegetation directly or first ate another animal which ate vegetation (third class food).

Why not just eat the vegetation directly?

All animal foods have toxins. When an animal is killed, or the expectation of a kill, animals release hormones and toxins, which end up in the meat.

Take milk for example. Cow's milk is intended to raise a baby calf into an adult. Cow's milk also has natural and usually artificial (unless organic) hormones. The natural cow hormones are designed for cows, not humans. Artificial growth hormones are poison to everyone.

Goats and sheep's milk are superior to cow's milk, but the same problem is applicable to them all.

Only (human) mother's milk is intended for humans, and that for about 2-3 years.

Another thing to point out:

The human teeth and skeletal structure are designed to eat produce. Note that human teeth is similar to vegetarian animals, like sheep, goats, and horses. These animals do not hunt.

We were not designed to kill animal flesh with our teeth and eat raw animals. Lions were designed to hunt, kill, and eat raw flesh.

I would finally add that a plant based diet is superior in all respects.
    Last edited by Philosopher; 09-08-2014, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• DraganOfStip
      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
      This subject is one of my principal interests in life, and I can fairly say I am an expert on it.

Animal foods, including dairy and fish, are second class foods. What this means is that you are eating an animal that either ate vegetation directly or first ate another animal which ate vegetation (third class food).

Why not just eat the vegetation directly?

All animal foods have toxins. When an animal is killed, or the expectation of a kill, animals release hormones and toxins, which end up in the meat.

Take milk for example. Cow's milk is intended to raise a baby calf into an adult. Cow's milk also has natural and usually artificial (unless organic) hormones. The natural cow hormones are designed for cows, not humans. Artificial growth hormones are poison to everyone.

Goats and sheep's milk are superior to cow's milk, but the same problem is applicable to them all.

Only (human) mother's milk is intended for humans, and that for about 2-3 years.

Another thing to point out:

The human teeth and skeletal structure are designed to eat produce. Note that human teeth is similar to vegetarian animals, like sheep, goats, and horses. These animals do not hunt.

We were not designed to kill animal flesh with our teeth and eat raw animals. Lions were designed to hunt, kill, and eat raw flesh.

I would finally add that a plant based diet is superior in all respects.
      So I'd take it you're vegetarian.

I'm not debating which diet is better or healthier for people (if I did,this would be a very loooooooooooooong thread ),I'm just curious what is your diet of choice and why.

I'm not a 100% carnivore though,I find mixed dishes the best,because it's a combination of all those great flavors and you get the best of both.
      ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
      ― George Orwell

Comment

• vicsinad
        • May 2011

I was a vegan for about 5 years. My main reason was, not because I didn't like meat, but because I didn't like the culture of factory farming and being so removed from where my food comes from.

After living on organic farms in Vermont and Virginia, and taking care of the animals myself, I started eating meat again. Grass-fed and hormone free beef definitely tastes better. You have more appreciation for chicken eggs when you have to scrape shit off them and their coops every morning. And tumbling with boars is not fun, but they do taste good.

However, I don't eat meat every day, as I feel more comfortable hunting/catching my own food, and I haven't made much time for that (except fishing), and because I don't think it's good to eat a lot of it. I feel bad when I eat meat (and for that matter, any food) that I haven't caught or raised myself. Also, large meat farms are very good at depleting resources and polluting water and air. The more meat we raise, that means the more land we need to grow the food that our meat eats so we can eat the meat. Just does a lot of damage to Earth and resources. Still, if I trust the source, I'll eat it.

I am very conscious of what I put in my body. For me, more important than being an omnivore or a herbivore is what's in the food and where it came from. Nothing like roaming through the woods searching for edible mushrooms

My daily diet break down is probably like this:

6-7 servings of fruits
        5-6 servings of vegetables
        4-5 servings of nuts
        Generous portions of fish or meat a few times a weak
        A couple eggs every few days
        And my fiance likes to bake, so whenever she makes something chocolatey, I'll eat that

What I rarely consume:
        Bread, pasta, soda-pop, rice (I used to eat it all the time), processed foods, caffeine, alcohol

Comment

• Philosopher
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by vicsinad View Post
          I was a vegan for about 5 years. My main reason was, not because I didn't like meat, but because I didn't like the culture of factory farming and being so removed from where my food comes from.

After living on organic farms in Vermont and Virginia, and taking care of the animals myself, I started eating meat again. Grass-fed and hormone free beef definitely tastes better. You have more appreciation for chicken eggs when you have to scrape shit off them and their coops every morning. And tumbling with boars is not fun, but they do taste good.

However, I don't eat meat every day, as I feel more comfortable hunting/catching my own food, and I haven't made much time for that (except fishing), and because I don't think it's good to eat a lot of it. I feel bad when I eat meat (and for that matter, any food) that I haven't caught or raised myself. Also, large meat farms are very good at depleting resources and polluting water and air. The more meat we raise, that means the more land we need to grow the food that our meat eats so we can eat the meat. Just does a lot of damage to Earth and resources. Still, if I trust the source, I'll eat it.

I am very conscious of what I put in my body. For me, more important than being an omnivore or a herbivore is what's in the food and where it came from. Nothing like roaming through the woods searching for edible mushrooms

My daily diet break down is probably like this:

6-7 servings of fruits
          5-6 servings of vegetables
          4-5 servings of nuts
          Generous portions of fish or meat a few times a weak
          A couple eggs every few days
          And my fiance likes to bake, so whenever she makes something chocolatey, I'll eat that

What I rarely consume:
          Bread, pasta, soda-pop, rice (I used to eat it all the time), processed foods, caffeine, alcohol
          Very interesting. Thank you.

So you probably follow Dr. Joseph Mercola's website?

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

for some reason i enjoy baked dinners and manza most.I can't bear to just eat veges its just not me.I like tafche grafche.Ghoulash,zelnik.etc all things macedonian.Man has been boiling cooking foods for himself for thousands of years.So why starve yourself.Get some pork on your fork.
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• vicsinad
              • May 2011

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
              Very interesting. Thank you.

So you probably follow Dr. Joseph Mercola's website?
              No problem.

Actually, I've never heard of Dr. Mercola. But I will check him out now, thanks.

Comment

• slovenec zrinski
                • Sep 2008

Vegetarian, trying hard to make a shift from fat vegetarian food to leaner mediterranean style type of food.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                  • Sep 2008

I feel more comfortable hunting/catching my own food
                  I can't believe that we actually have something in common! As they say in Strusko - nekoe magare ke cojsa

What did you use for fertiliser for the veggies on the organic farm(s) that you worked on?

To add to the topic, I think my all time favourite dishes are 'mangji", particularly mixed vegetables ones with a little bit of meat thrown in.
                  If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Phoenix
                    • Dec 2008

Great topic Dragan OS,

Quite a passion of mine as well, I enjoy having a go at a new recipe and much like yourself, the Food Channel is probably on more than any other Channel at home.

I can't resist a good steak or kebapi done well but I really try and limit that sort of a meal to once a week.
                    I prefer to stick to vegetarian type dishes most days.
                    I try to maximize the consumption of fish, particularly salmon, tuna and sardines as often as possible, as well as shellfish like oysters, mussels and clams.

With fruit I try and limit that to only one or two servings per day, although the summer varieties can make that quite a challenge.

With nuts, it's walnuts or almonds but once again only a small handful each day.

I try hard to stay away from the 'Whites'...that is, white bread, white pasta, white rice and white flour products.
                    I don't add sugar to anything, stay clear of soft drinks, fruit juices and other sugary foods.

Now I'm not 100% anal about all if this, maybe 90% though...but avoid the sugary drinks like the plague.

Dropped 15kgs (from 100kg at 188cm tall to 85kg) in 12 months...currently around the 88 kg mark...felt to 'light' at 85, more comfortable at current weight, feel heaps better.

All done by eliminating the shit we eat in our modern diets....

Whatever you do stay away from SUGAR...

Comment

• vicsinad
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
                      I can't believe that we actually have something in common! As they say in Strusko - nekoe magare ke cojsa

What did you use for fertiliser for the veggies on the organic farm(s) that you worked on?

To add to the topic, I think my all time favourite dishes are 'mangji", particularly mixed vegetables ones with a little bit of meat thrown in.
                      A man has to bring home dinner!

No fertilizer. We had a large composting system (relative to the size of the farm) that produced some really great soil in the one in Virginia. In Vermont it was also compost.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

Phoenix, are you saying you're no longer a fat bastard? How will I recognise you?

Oats in the morning for me.
                        The rest of the time, whatever the nevesta makes for me. (Luckily she is a healthy food type of gal). I have put on about 6kg since I was 17, so (at around 21 now .... hmmm), I am doing fine I reckon.
                        Risto the Great
                        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Phoenix
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                          Phoenix, are you saying you're no longer a fat bastard? How will I recognise you?

Oats in the morning for me.
                          The rest of the time, whatever the nevesta makes for me. (Luckily she is a healthy food type of gal). I have put on about 6kg since I was 17, so (at around 21 now .... hmmm), I am doing fine I reckon.
                          Nah, still a bastard Risto...and technically still a bit fat...
                          I'm at my upper healthy BMI range.
                          I need to get a better mix of weight, BMI and body fat percentage.

I only have oats in my muesli, (untoasted)...but only a very small serve but with walnuts, coconut shavings, wheat germ, bran, maybe LSA...low fat milk or almond milk...avoid the dry fruit.

Avoid SUGAR at all cost Risto...

Comment

• Vangelovski
                            • Sep 2008

A man has to bring home dinner!

No fertilizer. We had a large composting system (relative to the size of the farm) that produced some really great soil in the one in Virginia. In Vermont it was also compost.
                            What did the compost include? What about manure?
                            If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• vicsinad
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
                              What did the compost include? What about manure?
                              The compost at the farm in Virginia contained a lot of manure. We would go around the farm with wheelbarrows and shovel up cow manure to bring back to the compost pile. Sometimes horse manure. Of course, this is a 140 acre farm, so there is a lot of access to manure. But a lot of weeds, grass clippings, leaves, vegetable and fruit scraps, woodchips, hay, etc. also went into the compost.

Some people think that compost is not enough. But if you rotate your plants and grow plants that work well together (those that don't suck the same nutrients from the soil) next to each other, a good compost is more than enough. It also helps to plant a cover crop in the winter (kale for example, or rye or legumes or oats) that will help replenish the soil for the next season.

Comment

Working...
                              X