Aegean Macedonia is now on Google Streetview!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Niko777
    • Oct 2010

Macedonia's State news agency reported today that Google will start expanding Street view into Skopje, Bitola, and other Macedonian cities.

Comment

• Nikolaj
      • Aug 2014

I will tell my friend, his family is also from our Aegean Makedonia i'm sure they'll find use of this

Comment

• Volokin
        • Apr 2014

Google Street View will be starting to go through the roads of Macedonia on September 29th, giving a new treatment to the usage of Google Technology in the roads of Macedonia. First places that will benefit from the 360 panorama pictures include Skopje, Bitola, Kumanovo, Prilep, Tetovo, Ohrid and other towns and villages.
        Street View started as an experimental project, with several computers into the back of an SUV, stuck cameras, lasers, and a GPS device on top. The project has come a long way since the launch in 2007 in US, and now it has expanded to many places around the world, including countries in the region like Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, part of Serbia, Greece, etc. The plan for Google Street View is to start with Skopje and move then towards other towns and cover as much of the road network as possible.
        In the coming weeks there will be a big presence of Google’s cars on the streets of Macedonia which will be attracting a lot of excitement among local tech enthusiasts. With Google Maps now seeing more than one billion users per month and over 20 percent of search queries on Google being location-related, it’s likely that demand for this type of digital imagery is set to grow.

Google has announced that starting today it starts shooting on locations in Macedonia in order to improve the quality of the Street View service within the Google Maps application.
        As of September 29, three-dimensional photos will be shot in Skopje, Bitola and in other cities in the country, while the same will be done next year in several towns in Macedonia. The plan is to cover the road network and the most interesting places in the county as much as possible.

The Ministry of Information Society and Administration has had an active cooperation with Google officials aimed at introducing the service in Macedonia.
        Thanks to Google Street View, Macedonia can be seen in a new 'dimension' on a computer or smart phone, according to Minister of Information Society and Administration Ivo Ivanovski.

"This is particularly important for tourism development, which is set to contribute to better positioning of Macedonia on global tourist maps and the beauty of our country can be seen on any device with Internet connection," the Minister noted.

Ivanovski explains as if Google Street View will show Macedonia's forestry when in reality it will illegaly record people's residences.

Launched in 2007, Street View is a Google Maps function that is already available in 59 countries. It is also available on Google Earth and Google Maps for mobile phones. The technology allows users to have easy navigation through virtual panoramic view of streets.

"We have been told by many users in Macedonia that they would be thrilled if Street View had been available in Macedonia as well. Therefore, today we are particularly happy to announce the start of our journey and to make the beautiful streets and cities of the magnificent Macedonia available for our users worldwide. The Macedonian businesses and users will also enjoy the many benefits of the service," stated Amita Khatri - program manager at Street View in Google.
        MINA attempted to find out from Mr. Khatri who these "thrilled users" are, but there was no response.
        Unlike in Macedonia who invited Google, numerous European countries are suing Google Street View for invading their citizens privacy as everyone's home and property is available online for everyone to view without the consent of the owner.

Comment

• sydney
          • Sep 2008

Here's one from Patele (modern name Agios Panteleimon):

"I was born and will die Macedonian"

Comment

• Toska
            • Sep 2008

also says vinozito on the left

Comment

• Niko777
              • Oct 2010

The giant red letters say "vote for vinozito"

Comment

• George S.
                • Aug 2009

One of my friends who is from the Aegean said that the greeks have gone to great lengths to hide the fact that there are Macedonians there.He is surprised by the Cyrillic signs being . allowed.IN the 1950's you'd go to jail for that.Castor oil was given for speaking Macedonian.
                "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Niko777
                  • Oct 2010

Google has arrived in Skopje

Comment

• Niko777
                    • Oct 2010

Google streetview now available in Skopje and some major Macedonian cities

Comment

• Bill77
                      • Oct 2009

Great timing Google Street View - pics of Bitola made during filming of Third Half WW2 film. Streets lined up with Nazi & Bulgarian flags.......

One of the greatest Google Street View gaffes of all time. I would laugh if I didn't find this potentially harmful.

I can see these photos ending up in leather binders and stored in Greek archives then future poligiros's claiming it as evidence that Macedonian citizens were Neo Nazi Bulgarians.
                      Last edited by Bill77; 10-10-2015, 06:14 PM.
                      http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Redsun
                        • Jul 2013

The van type/model in the picture portrays the era.

Comment

Working...
                        X