X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

Macedonian month names

As promised many moons ago i did say iwould bring something up regarding the ancient macedonian calendar:

No. English name Macedonian name Transliteration Archaic form Transliteration Macedonian meaning
    1 January Јануари Januari Коложег Koložeg month of burning trunks
    2 February Февруари Fevruari Сечко Sečko month of cutting (chopping wood)
    3 March Март Mart Цутар Cutar month of flowering/budding
    4 April Април April Тревен Treven month of grass
    5 May Мај Maj Косар Kosar month of mowing
    6 June Јуни Juni Жетвар Žetvar month of picking/harvesting
    7 July Јули Juli Златец Zlatec golden month
    8 August Август Avgust Житар Žitar month of grain
    9 September Септември Septemvri Гроздобер Grozdober month of harvesting grapes
    10 October Октомври Oktomvri Листопад Listopad month of falling leaves
    11 November Ноември Noemvri Студен Studen cold month
    12 December Декември Dekemvri Снежник Snežnik snowy month

The Macedonian language has two sets of names of the months of the Gregorian calendar. The most commonly used set of names is derived from the Latin month names and these are used by the vast majority of the Macedonian population. However, there is also a set of older names for the twelve months of Slavic origin that differ from the Latin month names, although their usage is archaized and largely restricted to folk literature and religious calendars issued by the Macedonian Orthodox Church.
    The origin of the Macedonian month names is closely related to the agricultural activities that occur in the corresponding period, or to the weather condition common for that period. Some months have alternative names in different regions. The usage of modern Latin month names among Macedonians started towards the end of the 19th century, as a result of mass education.
    Another thing the church prints every year its calendarce it has these motnhs as well as the year like 7653 prehistoric year i don't know the exact year.So our calendar & count of the years is in excess of 7500 years.
    Last edited by George S.; 06-27-2012, 03:05 AM.
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV
  • The LION will ROAR
    • Jan 2009

George do you have the link for this...
    wasn't there a thread or link about the meaning for each season here on MTO...?
    The Macedonians originates it, the Bulgarians imitate it and the Greeks exploit it!

Comment

• chentovist
      Banned
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by The LION will ROAR View Post
      George do you have the link for this...
      wasn't there a thread or link about the meaning for each season here on MTO...?
      here's a link

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

you beat me to it chentohttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonian_month_names,i forgot whils't i was researching for the year count.
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
        X