X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraganOfStip
    • Aug 2011

Quintus Curtius Rufus' (non existent) famous quote

Does anyone have any info on the authenticity of one of the most exploited quotes by Greek nationalists written by Quintus Rufus about the way Alexander allegedly addressed the dead Greeks at Chaenorea 338b.c.
    as of "same blood and language",or whatever the hell it was?I came across it several times here,but didn't quite notice any confirmation\rebuttal of it.Is it authentic or not?
    ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
    ― George Orwell
  • TojSum
    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by DraganOfStip View Post
    Does anyone have any info on the authenticity of one of the most exploited quotes by Greek nationalists written by Quintus Rufus about the way Alexander allegedly addressed the dead Greeks at Chaenorea 338b.c.
    as of "same blood and language",or whatever the hell it was?I came across it several times here,but didn't quite notice any confirmation\rebuttal of it.Is it authentic or not?
    Dragan, can you give us more info, something like full quote, from which book this quote is, which translation etc...

Comment

• DraganOfStip
      • Aug 2011

“Holy shadows of the dead, Im not to blame for your cruel and bitter fate, but the accursed rivalry which brought sister nations and brother people, to fight one another.”…
      …”I do not feel happy for this victory of mine. On the contrary, I would be glad, brothers, if I had all of you standing here next to me, since we are united by the same language, the same blood and the same visions.”

(Historiae Alexandri Magni, 6.3.11, by Roman historian Quintus Curtius Rufus)

Is this quote accurate?
      ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
      ― George Orwell

Comment

• Mygdon
        • May 2009

..since we are united.. by the same blood..
        Alexander thought he is also a son of the mythological figure Herakles... so his "by the same blood" was meant differently than like nowadays Freaks would like to point it..

Comment

• DraganOfStip
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Mygdon View Post
          Alexander thought he is also a son of the mythological figure Herakles... so his "by the same blood" was meant differently than like nowadays Freaks would like to point it..
          Still,Greeks would consider this explanation to be a simple point of view,an assumption if you will.My question was:is this quote accurate?
          ― George Orwell

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

I have read Rufus' Alexander several times and have never came across such a 'quote'. It is a fake as far as I can tell. The maggotsontheweb even had it on their front page for a while, lol.

In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• TojSum
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
              I have read Rufus' Alexander several times and have never came across such a 'quote'. It is a fake as far as I can tell. The maggotsontheweb even had it on their front page for a while, lol.

http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum...ufus#post86835
              Tnx SoM, that was exactly my point with my questions above
              Last edited by TojSum; 03-16-2012, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• TojSum
                • Feb 2012

“Holy shadows of the dead, Im not to blame for your cruel and bitter fate, but the accursed rivalry which brought sister nations and brother people, to fight one another.”…
                …”I do not feel happy for this victory of mine. On the contrary, I would be glad, brothers, if I had all of you standing here next to me, since we are united by the same language, the same blood and the same visions.”

(Historiae Alexandri Magni, 6.3.11, by Roman historian Quintus Curtius Rufus)

Is this quote accurate?
                Dragan, if i'm not mistaken 6.3.11 means Book 6 Paragraf 3 Row 11, so this is the link from the book 6 from Quintus Curtius Rufus:

Paragraph 3. Row 11 is this sentence:

Sed in novo, et,—si verum fateri volumus,—precario imperio adhuc iugum eius rigida cervice subeuntibus Barbaris tempore, milites, opus est, dum mitioribus ingeniis inbuuntur et efferatos melior consuetudo permulcet.

Now on google translate from Latin to English you get this:

But in a new, and, if it is true-we wish to confess, authority depending on favor-down deeper still with stiff necks the yoke of the barbarians at the time of his, and the soldiers, there is need, while the more gentle and better than the custom of appease their savage temper, and the genius of inbuuntur.

Edit:

Dragan, now I’m completely sure that this quote doesn’t exist (Greeks caught lying shamelessly again).
                The number 6.3.11 definitively means Book 6, Chapter 3, Sentence 11

Proinde aut, quae cepimus, omittenda sunt aut, quae non habemus, occupanda. Sicut in corporibus aegris, milites, nihil quod nociturum est medici relinquunt, sic nos, quidquid obstat imperio, recidamus. Parva saepe scintilla contempta magnum excitavit incendium. Nil tuto in hoste despicitur: quem spreveris, valentiorem neglegentia facias.

Google translate:

It is, therefore, or, which we took, are, or ought to be omitted, which we do not have, we must seize. Just as in the bodies of the sick, the soldiers, nothing that will harm the physician is, and leave, so we, the government of whatever stands in the way, you may fall back. Spark neglected has often raised a conflagration. Nothing is safe in the despised enemy: the slight me, stronger than the neglect to do.
                Last edited by TojSum; 03-18-2012, 06:49 AM.

Comment

• Bill77
                  • Oct 2009

I think the "Famous Quote" in the title of this thread is inaccurate and misleading. If a quote never existed and only imaginary, it can't be credited as "his famous quote".

More accurately, the title should be "Quintus Curtius non existent quote"

But if it was up to me, title would be "Greeks off with the fairies.......Again"
                  http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Great point Bill.
                    I have made a compromise and accommodated both.
                    Risto the Great
                    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Bill77
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                      Great point Bill.
                      I have made a compromise and accommodated both.
                      Well done mate. This now is accurate.
                      http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

Working...
                      X