X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daniel the Great
    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Onur View Post
    Yes DTG, these are what you call as "Brojanci" too. We call it as "Tespih" in Turkish. There are 100s of different prayer beads with different precious stones.

I think Jews and early Arab christians in Palestine used this first and then it came to Ottoman Empire with islam and then to the Balkans from us. These are used by old men in Turkey too, but usually not as a prayer bead, but just for an object to twirl around.

Only orthodox christians uses these prayer beads, right?

Thank's Onur,

I don't think they use these particular beeds for praying purposes among Macedonian Orthodox Christians. In the old days the old men used these "Tespih" as you called them just to pass the time, because obviously it dident have much to do other then work in the fields. I remember my great Grandfather had beeds like these but wooden ones and i think he just used them to twirl around.

But indeed they are a very well known cultural icon.

Comment

• Onur
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by daniel the great View Post
      Thank's Onur,

I don't think they use these particular beeds for praying purposes among Macedonian Orthodox Christians.

Christian Greeks and Jews in Turkey still uses Tespih for praying purposes. Two weeks ago, i`ve gone to synagogue here and few old people(jews) in it had tespih in their hands

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Daniel the Great View Post
        The Macedonian folk dances (Macedonian: Ора) are among the major segments that constitute the Macedonian folklore and tradition. The numerous rhythms and the vigorous steps are the culprits for the impressiveness of the traditional dances. Whether in joy or sorrow, Macedonians have always created dances in which they have brought their emotions. The dances are played on various celebrations: religious or national holidays, festivals as well as on weddings. They are always accompanied with the sound of the traditional instruments such as gaida, zurla, tapan, kaval, daire etc.

Osogovka Oro-Kopacka
        Macedonian Folklore Dance Ensemble" Tanec " - Osogovka Oro - Kopacka - YouTube

Teskoto oro
        Tanec - Teskoto oro - YouTube

Sedenka oro
        Folklore dances from Macedonia: Sedenka pt. 2 - YouTube
        The Komitsko oro has always been one of my favourites, how they re-enact the scene where they thrown bombs and fire their rifles until one by one they are killed in battle.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
          The Komitsko oro has always been one of my favourites, how they re-enact the scene where they thrown bombs and fire their rifles until one by one they are killed in battle.
          Isn't it interesting how such an event has become so heavily embedded in our folklore after such a relatively short time?

Soon there will be an oro celebrating the wonders of the framework agreement. I am trying not to imagine it.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

that should be fun how we are giving away our sovereign rights.Im sure it's going to be a good oro for the albanians to watch one step forwards with 3 to 4 steps backwards.I think lots of swaying needed before dancing the imbibing of alcahol such as vodka is a must.
            Last edited by George S.; 12-18-2011, 05:25 AM. Reason: edit
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Дени
              • May 2010

Originally posted by Daniel the Great View Post
              They are a very old religious icon used in mostly Orthodox countries, apparently every knot in the Brojanica symbolizes a prayer, they are very popular among Macedonian Orthodox Christians.

Onur, can you tell me what these are called and what they are for, i think these are also called Brojanci in Macedonian. I think it was the Turks that brought them to Macedonia and Greece etc, they are used by old men to twurl around.
              They are called бројаници, but they are different to the Turkish tesbih (see this article) which the Greeks probably adopted (see this). The Greek kind aren't very popular back home and these smaller prayer ropes every second person now wears have only become something of a fashion statement in the past 15 years or so (in Greece and Serbia too). This article explains their use in Eastern Orthodoxy.

Comment

• Čento
                • Mar 2012

Good thread.

Танец-Беломорски бисер - YouTube
                Jас не познавам друг народ кој повеќе страдал од предавствата на своите синови - изроди како македонскиот

Гоце Делчев

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

DP that's a good video as well as chentos video is great too.Most enjoyable.!
                  Last edited by George S.; 04-22-2012, 08:27 PM. Reason: ed
                  "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Čento
                    • Mar 2012

Rhythm And Sound (1955) 2/2 - Macedonian Movie - YouTube
                    Jас не познавам друг народ кој повеќе страдал од предавствата на своите синови - изроди како македонскиот

Гоце Делчев

Comment

• MKPrilep
                      • Mar 2009

Are the dances in the video rhythm and sound really macedonian?
                      such dances (at the beginning) with the sword I only know
                      from the albanians. And I have never seen today such dances,
                      for example from Tanec.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

Sword dances have been present in many cultures, but they aren't as common these days. Macedonians do have sword dances, I forgot what they're called but I distinctly recall them while watching my cousins in the igraorni years ago.
                        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

Working...
                        X