What do Macedonians think of Bulgarians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tchaiku
    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
    I've been to Bulgaria a couple of times and I'll never forget the first time.

My first experience was when I flew into Sofia because I couldn't get a last minute flight to Skopje. I had never been to Bulgaria and had only met a few Bulgarians in my entire life. I get off the plane and make my way through the terminals at Sofia airport. For a second I swear to you, I thought I was in the wrong country. Everyone, all the employees were brown. Everyone was speaking Bulgarian, but didn't look how I expected Bulgarians to look. I assumed they were all Roma. Then the funniest thing happened. I get a taxi to take me to the bus station so I can head to Macedonia. The taxi driver was dark as night. The guy was clearly a gypsy, not just in skin color but in facial features. So me and the driver are chit chatting while we drive and a group of gypsies are crossing the road all leisurely. The driver start cursing at them, "mame da vi ebam djupsi smrdeni". He looks at me and says "there are too many gypsies here". I was totally caught off guard. Lol I'm looking at this guy thinking dude do you have a mirror? I'll never forget it.

That in a nutshell is Bulgaria. A Gypsy who thinks hes "Bulgarian" cursing at other gypsies.

As we made our way more west towards Macedonia the people got whiter and whiter, but non the less, still just as confused.

Now I'm supposed to take these people seriously and accept that we are merely a part of their nation? Give me a break.

The western part of Bulgaria are Macedonians period, the east are Turkic, the center are Roma/Romanians. Their language is what Macedonians sounds like when the speaker is gay.

For god sake, AZIS is their most popular singer. A gay/transgender/IDK/I don't think he knows, person who sings like a woman in Arabic style.
    Many people describe Greeks as gypsies and very dark skinned, I have never been to Greece but why is that? Most of Greeks I know are light skinned. Have you ever been to Greece and know any of this experience?

Comment

• Gocka
      • Dec 2012

There is a difference between being dark skinned, and not looking Caucasian. The tell is not the skin color but the facial features.

I have been to Greece, specifically Solun, Greeks call it Thesaloniki now. Yes South of Solun Greeks get darker and darker, and again its not just the color of the skin but their features begin to look more African/Arab the further south you go. Its the same as Bulgaria, southern "Greeks" are heavily mixed with Turks and North Africans. Northern Greece is mostly Albanians, Vlachs, and Macedonians, thus they look more Caucasian. North Greece also has a lot of Turkish Christians that were part of the population exchanges between Turkey and Greece. Today they call themselves Greeks, but good luck convincing me that a supposedly racial pure ethnic group, claiming lineage from the Ancient Greeks, can produce one guy that is blonde and has blue eyes, and then produce someone that would look right at home in Saudi Arabia. One of those two people doesn't belong, have your pick.

I'm not one to usually care about race, or skin color, but if Greeks and Bulgarians can degrade me, and tell me what I am and what I am not, they shouldn't expect anything more of me.

If Brad Pitt and Shahrukh Khan can be part of the same pure ethnic group then I can damn well be Macedonian.

Originally posted by tchaiku View Post
      Many people describe Greeks as gypsies and very dark skinned, I have never been to Greece but why is that? Most of Greeks I know are light skinned. Have you ever been to Greece and know any of this experience?

Comment

• tchaiku
        • Nov 2016

There is a difference between being dark skinned, and not looking Caucasian. The tell is not the skin color but the facial features.

I have been to Greece, specifically Solun, Greeks call it Thesaloniki now. Yes South of Solun Greeks get darker and darker, and again its not just the color of the skin but their features begin to look more African/Arab the further south you go. Its the same as Bulgaria, southern "Greeks" are heavily mixed with Turks and North Africans. Northern Greece is mostly Albanians, Vlachs, and Macedonians, thus they look more Caucasian. North Greece also has a lot of Turkish Christians that were part of the population exchanges between Turkey and Greece. Today they call themselves Greeks, but good luck convincing me that a supposedly racial pure ethnic group, claiming lineage from the Ancient Greeks, can produce one guy that is blonde and has blue eyes, and then produce someone that would look right at home in Saudi Arabia. One of those two people doesn't belong, have your pick.
        You hardly ever see them look like that in photos or videos. Post a picture of a stereotypical dark Greek? Which one of them looks more oriental Greeks or Bulgarians. I know a Greek-Vlach of Albania, he's a writer in Germany and he know very well that he is a Vlach but at the same time brags about his Greekness he was called for this many times. Anyways when someone makes racist comments about Greeks he boils I wonder are they really that dark?

Saudis are Caucasian but I understand what do you mean.

Comment

• vicsinad
          • May 2011

You hardly ever see them look like that in photos or videos. Post a picture of a stereotypical dark Greek? Which one of them looks more oriental Greeks or Bulgarians. I know a Greek-Vlach of Albania, he's a writer in Germany and he know very well that he is a Vlach but at the same time brags about his Greekness he was called for this many times. Anyways when someone makes racist comments about Greeks he boils I wonder are they really that dark?

Here is a stereotypical dark Greek from Samos island:

Comment

• Gocka
            • Dec 2012

They get mad because deep down they know that they are different, which is okay, but then don't go and judge other people. Don't go ad tell Macedonians that we are Bulgarians, or Slavs, or what ever else.

In reality Greeks have every right to be Greeks despite there clearly mixed ethnic backgrounds. Bulgarians have every right to be Bulgars despite Bulgars being an Asiatic tribe and the Bulgarian language and culture clearly being Macedonian. That's all fine, and so are is Macedonians being Macedonians, despite centuries of ethnic mixing. If you want to nit pick, then all these countries have a lot of nits to pick. The problem is that Greeks and Bulgarians act arrogant and chauvinistic towards Macedonians and their identity, while their own identities are even more flimsy than Macedonia's.

As for who is more Asiatic, that's hard to answer. At least a third of Greece, in the north is non Asiatic looking but they are in my Opinion not Greeks, mostly Albanians Macedonians, and Vlachs.

If you want to consider true Greeks as Athens and south, then probably Greeks. Most of them could easily pass off as middle eastern if they wanted to.

Bulgarians on the other hand, as you go east, some look Asiatic, but I think a good majority look more Romanian/Roma.

In the end it shouldn't matter. But they make it matter because of their own insecurities, I think that's why they treat Macedonians the way they do, they are insecure about themselves and constantly feel the need to prove their ethnic purity and superiority.

If you don't mind me asking what are you, where are you from?

Comment

• Amphipolis
              Banned
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by vicsinad View Post
              Here is a stereotypical dark Greek from Samos island:
              "Athanasiou’s mother is of Guyanese decent and his father is from the soccer-mad nation of Greece"

Comment

• vicsinad
                • May 2011

Fair enough.

How about Greek soccer players?

From the 1920s:

From 1919:

Now look at Greek soccer team after Albanians, Vlachs and Macedonians are fully incorporated.

You can clearly see the difference between then and now, and still how Greeks now could easily pass as Turks and vice versa.

Comment

• vicsinad
                  • May 2011

Actually, here's the Turkish soccer team. Can you notice the difference from the Greeks?

Not really.

Comment

• vicsinad
                    • May 2011

Here's Bulgarian:

Comment

• vicsinad
                      • May 2011

Macedonian:

The differences (and similarities) speak for themselves.

Comment

• vicsinad
                        • May 2011

To sum up how many Macedonians feel about Bulgarians:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2014

I’m afraid I don’t know much about football. Most of these players are famous, others would recognize their faces but I don’t, so I can’t really follow. The recent National teams may have one or two foreigners each time (Albanians or others) or people with very odd looks like Holebas who is half-Uruguayan and Metroglou who looks like the lost son of Osama Bin Laden. The very first National Teams are not proper teams and it is more difficult to find info about the athletes in the picture and how representative they are of the population.

Regarding racial features, people are not different than dogs or other animals. If we want to, we can easily classify them and it seems everybody is afraid of anthropological sciences and the political consequences of such a process.

On the other hand, two brothers can be very distant racially, so we have a paradox here. If someone, somewhere in the world looks a little like you or a lot like you, then he’s a biological relative of yours but that doesn’t mean he’s a distant cousin of yours. It simply means that after millions of mixes the same combination of features ended up appearing to you and him.

In the last 100 years, Greeks have changed dramatically because of nutrition and fashion. In the 1920s-30s men would be far shorter and thinner. They would also have a mustache. Women were also very different.

The skin color hasn’t changed but you have to know that Greece is a very sunny country. The same person can be very white if he stays at home like me, or really dark if he works outside all day. Thus, finding the skin tone of a person is always safer in the mid-winter.

==
                          Last edited by Amphipolis; 04-06-2017, 04:52 AM.

Comment

• Gocka
                            • Dec 2012

LMAO, I didn't realize if I ate a certain diet I could go from being blonde to looking like Metroglou.

Every time we bring up a Greek who looks different it turn out he's half this and half that.Why are all your famous preople mixed? I can count the Macedonians who are mixed on two hands. It seems your entire country his half this or half that.

There's nothing wrong with Metroglou, or the way he looks. Just admit that it's highly unlikely that he is Alexander the Macedonian's cousin

Don't give me this bullshit about working out in the sun. That doesn't make a blonde person look like Osama bin Laden's long lost son. It doesn't change your facial features.

You are all mongrels, as are we all in the Balkans. If I'm just a Slav, then you're just a Turk. If I''m not a decedent of Macedonians, than you are not a decedent of Greeks. Take off your blinders for a second and realize how ridiculous your entire argument against us is.

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post

In the last 100 years, Greeks have changed dramatically because of nutrition and fashion. In the 1920s-30s men would be far shorter and thinner. They would also have a mustache. Women were also very different.

==

Comment

• vicsinad
                              • May 2011

LMAO, I didn't realize if I ate a certain diet I could go from being blonde to looking like Metroglou.

There's nothing wrong with Metroglou, or the way he looks. Just admit that it's highly unlikely that he is Alexander the Macedonian's cousin

Don't give me this bullshit about working out in the sun. That doesn't make a blonde person look like Osama bin Laden's long lost son. It doesn't change your facial features.
                              The sun is supposed to make your hair lighter and skin darker...I see no light hair among those Grci

You are all mongrels, as are we all in the Balkans. If I'm just a Slav, then you're just a Turk. If I''m not a decedent of Macedonians, than you are not a decedent of Greeks. Take off your blinders for a second and realize how ridiculous your entire argument against us is.
                              This is what they don't want to understand.

Every time we bring up a Greek who looks different it turn out he's half this and half that.Why are all your famous preople mixed? I can count the Macedonians who are mixed on two hands. It seems your entire country his half this or half that.
                              They're almost all mixed, and yet they're all still pure Greeks.

Comment

• tchaiku
                                • Nov 2016

The meltdown.

Comment

Working...
                                X