X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karposh
    • Aug 2015

Macedonians in Aegean Macedonia

I wasn’t sure what the most appropriate thread for this little observation of mine was so I’ve started a new one to cover it and it’s regarding everyday life of Macedonians in Aegean Macedonia today.

Take a look at the following YouTube clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vWf5lJBZEE and please pay particular attention to the bit between 3:52 to 6:50. Watching that whole discourse reminded me of something that Risto The Great once said in a previous post with regards to the usage of Macedonian in Aegean Macedonia: “Speaking Macedonian is a farmer language and looked down upon by almost everybody.”

This clip kind of proves his point I guess. It’s a shame though. If those guys made an effort to converse in it, and this goes for Macedonians in Australia too (and the rest of the world for that matter), then the fluency naturally improves, the vocabulary gets richer and the confidence grows. I see nothing wrong with Macedonians in Greece speaking Greek as their first language. Just as I don’t see anything wrong with Macedonians in Australia, Canada and America speaking English as their first language. It’s just become easier to do so and that’s the reality of the situation.

But what is encouraging is that, just like here in Australia, I see a whole generation of young Macedonians proud of their heritage and singing and dancing to Macedonian songs at various festivals around Aegean Macedonia even though they, most likely, can’t even put a single sentence of Macedonian together.

There is generally a lot of pessimism when it comes to the topic of the survival of the Macedonian language in Aegean Macedonia but I’ve changed my views lately. I strongly believe that it’s not all doom and gloom. The spark is there. It just needs time to ignite. As long as there is a sense of Macedonian identity amongst the Macedonians in Aegean Macedonia then the willingness to learn Macedonian will come eventually.

When I was growing up in Sydney, it wasn’t cool to speak in Macedonian amongst friends. Not sure if it was a desperate attempt to fit in or a fear of being labelled a wog but no one spoke Macedonian. These days, I am noticing the generation Ys and even the millennium generation are actively trying to speak Macedonian with each other. Admittedly, a very broken form of Macedonian but at least they’re having a go.

Finally, here’s one more YouTube video by Giorgos Thanou https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT9qbEl9cU4 . He has an amazing collection and I encourage everyone to browse through Giorgos’ YouTube videos as they cover all manner of life in Aegean Macedonia. There is definitely a vibe going on in the villages and towns around Aegean Macedonia and the best part about it is that the youngsters are right into it. Really nice to see.
  • Momce Makedonce
    • Jul 2012

I actually really enjoy watching videos from the Aegean part on Youtube, its very heart warming stuff to see. I want to visit Ovcarani for Illinden one day.

But I do agree in regards to speaking Macedonian, although I understand that Macedonian is not taught on an educational level in Greece I feel as though just trying to talk it even if it doesn`t feel natural at first is the best way to go in terms of becoming relatively fluent. There is no other way to improve your skills other than simply trying to speak it, making mistakes, finding out what word you should have used and expanding your vocabulary. I have never studied Macedonian as a language here in Australia, I have just always spoken it at home and older Macedonians normally tell me that I speak it quite well, so it is still possible to be fluent in the context that Macedonians from that region are in.

Also in that second video that you posted, what is the reason that they are wearing the shirts with the Macedonian sonce with a blue background? I`ve seen it in other videos as well. End of the day it is still a Macedonian symbol but I think the shirts would look much better being red and gold/yellow. Perhaps this causes problems from the Greek authorities or something along those lines? Not taking anything away form the people in that video though, the singing and dancing is phenomenal.
    "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task." Goce Delcev

Comment

• Momce Makedonce
      • Jul 2012

This is probably one of my favourite videos at the moment. It`s from Jordan Mitev`s concert in Egejska Makedonija at the end of last year. Absolutely love seeing the passion on full display.

"The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task." Goce Delcev

Comment

• Karposh
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Momce Makedonce View Post
        I feel as though just trying to talk it even if it doesn`t feel natural at first is the best way to go in terms of becoming relatively fluent. There is no other way to improve your skills other than simply trying to speak it, making mistakes, finding out what word you should have used and expanding your vocabulary.
        I think you've hit the nail in the head there. Whether it's Macedonians in Australia or Macedonians in Greece, the same problem exists. It's come to the point where speaking Macedonian doesn't feel natural anymore and the common language of the land we reside in has become the primary language. Interestingly, the same problem existed in Alexander's camp. As a result of neglecting their mother tongue, Alexander's officers were more comfortable using the common Koine Greek language rather than their own Macedonian language whereas the average soldier could only speak their mother tongue (Quintus Curtius' account of the trial of Philotas).

Originally posted by Momce Makedonce View Post
        Also in that second video that you posted, what is the reason that they are wearing the shirts with the Macedonian sonce with a blue background? I`ve seen it in other videos as well. End of the day it is still a Macedonian symbol but I think the shirts would look much better being red and gold/yellow. Perhaps this causes problems from the Greek authorities or something along those lines? Not taking anything away form the people in that video though, the singing and dancing is phenomenal.
        I've seen videos of people wearing green, marone and even black T-shirts with the sonce on them. I think the colour isn't important, it's the symbolism of the sonce that's important. I agree though, nothing looks as regal and beautiful as the golden sun on a blood-red background. However, we can't exactly expect the Macos in Greece to wear these types of T-shirts. The comments on these videos already accuse them of being "Filoskopjanos" i.e. Skopje Lovers.

Comment

• macorules94
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Karposh View Post
          Finally, here’s one more YouTube video by Giorgos Thanou https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT9qbEl9cU4 .

Does anybody know the name of this song?

Comment

• SuperstarZok
            • Apr 2010

macorules94, its this song here sang by Jordan Mitev.

Del od DVD-to ''Ubavinite na Makedonija i makedonskiot folklor zaedno so Jordan Mitev''Copyright: OnAir Media GroupALL RIGHTS RESERVED!

Comment

Working...
            X