What is modern "Hellenism" and "Hellenic" culture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

What is modern "Hellenism" and "Hellenic" culture?

An honest and fair assessment would be nice from the Greeks here.

Language aside, which (despite its dubious significance today where it concerns 'Greek' after its forced spread over years of propaganda from the 1700's) if used as an argument would make half of the world followers of Angloism and Anglo culture.......

1) What exactly is it that connects you to the ancients in terms of culture?

2) How exactly does this culture distinguish you from the other Balkan peoples?

3) What is unique in your culture?

No, coffee and kebabs don't count.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.
  • makedonin
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post

No, coffee and kebabs don't count.
    can the Döner ups Gyro count please
    To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

Sikter vre!
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Royal Hellas
        Banned
        • Sep 2008

To answer your question SOM, first you must tell me what you understand Hellenism to be.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

I don't understand it at all RH, hence the request for an explanation.

Care to have a crack at it? I simplified it into 3 questions on the first post, please feel free to explain it to me.

Comment

• Royal Hellas
            Banned
            • Sep 2008

The culture is dynamic and is continually evolving. I am part of this evolution from the ancients.

The culture has its differences and nuances just like any other culture has. Language, writing, music, are some of these differences.

The fact that God chose the Hellenic language to reveal his New Testament.

Comment

• makedonin
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Royal Hellas View Post

The best joke I have ever read.

To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• Royal Hellas
                Banned
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by makedonin View Post
                The best joke I have ever read.

What language was it then Makedonin?

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

The culture is dynamic and is continually evolving. I am part of this evolution from the ancients.

The culture has its differences and nuances just like any other culture has. Language, writing, music, are some of these differences.

Was the above supposed to be a joke?

The dynamic culture was Roman and Christian well after it was "Hellenic" 2,000 years ago. In this we all share from the Balkans.

I specifically said apart from language, of which writing is a part of, for the previously stated reasons. As for music, you aren't talking about those out of tune songs and eastern music that would fit into any Turkish shop? Or its Italic influences, seriously....

God didn't choose the "Hellenic" language, the people that wrote the bible 2,000 years ago chose the languages which were in most frequent use at the time on an official level, apart from Hebrew that is Latin and Greek - Greek, not "Hellenic". In case you are unaware, "Hellenes" are pagans and devils in Eastern Christianity.

Gee, and I was beginning to think that you were at least half normal....only to find out that you are another cult member in this 10,000 years of "Hellenic" continuity theory...ts,ts,ts.

Comment

• Royal Hellas
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2008

You need to brush up on your biblical knowledge there SOM, don't forget Gods people the Jews crucified him, or do you have another version of the story?

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Aside from the New Testament bit ... I am equally Hellene. And Daskalot explained the New Testament bit very well. Although, it should be noted that nobody is sure what the original texts of the New Testament were actually written in.
                      Risto the Great
                      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

You need to brush up on your biblical knowledge there SOM, don't forget Gods people the Jews crucified him, or do you have another version of the story?
                        No, I think you do mate, the crucifiction has nothing to do with the language(s) of the bible.

Comment

• osiris
                          • Sep 2008

the jews crucified jesus, where did you learn that historical gem royal, at greek school.

Comment

• makedonin
                            • Sep 2008

What language was it then Makedonin?
                            I don't laugh about the language, but the implication that God chose it.

Have you discussed this lately with God, if maybe he is going to announce newer Testament in Hellenic? Or he changed his preferences, now it will be in English?

Greet God from me when you drink a Turkish ups Hellenic Cofee with him.
                            Last edited by makedonin; 09-24-2008, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• Royal Hellas
                              Banned
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                              Aside from the New Testament bit ... I am equally Hellene. And Daskalot explained the New Testament bit very well. Although, it should be noted that nobody is sure what the original texts of the New Testament were actually written in.
                              Daskalot explained? Where?

Comment

Working...
                              X