Just How 'Greek' Was The Byzantine Empire???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Demos View Post
    I have studied the Byzantine Empire on many occasions as I am history buff and very well know that many ethnic groups contributed to its success and dominance during Europe's Dark Ages. I never claimed Greek exclusively ran the Empire.
    No problem Demos, I can appreciate that.

Can you show me the 'Hellenic' references to East Rome, and who, if anybody, related it to anything 'Hellenic' in name?
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Demos
      Banned
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
      No problem Demos, I can appreciate that.

Can you show me the 'Hellenic' references to East Rome, and who, if anybody, related it to anything 'Hellenic' in name?
      There is actually correspondence between the King of Lombardy and the Byzantine Emperor in the 900s and the King of Lombardy addresses the Byzantine Emperor as the King of the Greeks to which the the Byzantine Emperor replies back in a very angry tone stating that he is the legitimate heir of the Roman Caesars.

Comment

• NiGhtPiSH
        Banned
        • Dec 2008

To be correct the Byzanthine Empire is a name given from the historians in later times. The name of the country itself was Imperium Romanum, but as Greek was one of the 4 languages with the status of a holy one (Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Bulgarian and with the right given to spread literature and gospel in these languages by the time only Christian literature) it became full blood official in the Empire around two hundred years after the separation of the Roman Empire.

The people living in the boundries of the Empire during the 7th-15th centuries were so colorful - greeks (no doubt majority), slavs (bulgarians), arabs, egyptians, franks, ethiopians ect. Constantinopole (in its height around 1.5 million) and Salonika were the most important cities in the known world by that time.

Comment

• Sarafot
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by NiGhtPiSH View Post
          To be correct the Byzanthine Empire is a name given from the historians in later times. The name of the country itself was Imperium Romanum, but as Greek was one of the 4 languages with the status of a holy one (Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Bulgarian and with the right given to spread literature and gospel in these languages by the time only Christian literature) it became full blood official in the Empire around two hundred years after the separation of the Roman Empire.

The people living in the boundries of the Empire during the 7th-15th centuries were so colorful - greeks (no doubt majority), slavs (bulgarians), arabs, egyptians, franks, ethiopians ect. Constantinopole (in its height around 1.5 million) and Salonika were the most important cities in the known world by that time.
          You ment Macedonians,wright,Bulgars were minority of strong wariors!
          Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.
          - Борис Сарафов, 2 септември 1902

Comment

• Daskalot
            • Sep 2008

I have warned you but you seem a little ignorant, and hey it is Christmas, so were where the Macedonians and Serbians etc?
            Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• NiGhtPiSH
              Banned
              • Dec 2008

As I recall the first real Serbian State is of Duklja which was situated in todays Crna Gora had more to do with the Venetian State, but no doubt also connections with Byzanthium.

And in these times there was no mentioning in written sources of the Macedonian ethnicitiy (I agree that today it exists)

Comment

• Sarafot
                • Dec 2008

As I recall the first real Serbian State is of Duklja which was situated in todays Crna Gora had more to do with the Venetian State, but no doubt also connections with Byzanthium.

And in these times there was no mentioning in written sources of the Macedonian ethnicitiy (I agree that today it exists)
                But in that time Bulgarians and Slavs(what is other name for glorius one) were seperate nations,dont you know that?
                Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.

Comment

• NiGhtPiSH
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2008

The Proto-Bulgars originate from the area of Hindukush and Pamir and are first mentioned in 4th century BC in indian and persian writings. As they spread during the 6-7th century they formed several countries Kuberova Bulgaria in the lands of todays Republic of Macedonia, Kortagova (Volzhka) Bulgaria in the valleys of Volga River, Kubratova Bulgaria in Krimea which expanded and migrated to the Mizia region by the time of Khan Asparuh's regin and made union with the slavic tribes, and took many lands from Byzanthium.

Comment

• Sarafot
                    • Dec 2008

The Proto-Bulgars originate from the area of Hindukush and Pamir and are first mentioned in 4th century BC in indian and persian writings. As they spread during the 6-7th century they formed several countries Kuberova Bulgaria in the lands of todays Republic of Macedonia, Kortagova (Volzhka) Bulgaria in the valleys of Volga River, Kubratova Bulgaria in Krimea which expanded and migrated to the Mizia region by the time of Khan Asparuh's regin and made union with the slavic tribes, and took many lands from Byzanthium.
                    See UNION is like E union,that das not mean that now you are Germans!
                    And about where they commed read here,this are original one!

Comment

• NiGhtPiSH
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2008

Here on the Balkans every one of us have many things in common, because you know our grandparents all lived in the same country for 500 years - The Ottoman Empire which conquered Serbia, Byzanthium, Krali Marko's Realm, Konstantin Dragas's Realm, Vidin Tsardom, Tsardom Bulgaria, Principality of Karvuna, Vlachia... I just can't understand all the hate...

Comment

• Sarafot
                        • Dec 2008

What hate,did some body say that hate you?

Comment

• Sarafot
                          • Dec 2008

Here on the Balkans every one of us have many things in common, because you know our grandparents all lived in the same country for 500 years - The Ottoman Empire which conquered Serbia, Byzanthium, Krali Marko's Realm, Konstantin Dragas's Realm, Vidin Tsardom, Tsardom Bulgaria, Principality of Karvuna, Vlachia... I just can't understand all the hate...
                          And no, you are B'lgar do you know where SHOPS mostly live?In B'lgaria that will be Kostin dol,or Kjostendil,in villages around thru mountings,do you found any ASIANS remainings,almost all of them are white tall persons with blond hear...and gues what,they are original Macedonians like in ancient time.

And trust me Turks had never reach them,my family tree is for 280 years back and not a single Turk is written there,may be i could search deeper if i tray hard,and result will be the same!!

I can prove that,and i also can prove that many of thouse villages are from Macedonia.!!

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Demos
                            Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon
                            There is actually correspondence between the King of Lombardy and the Byzantine Emperor in the 900s and the King of Lombardy addresses the Byzantine Emperor as the King of the Greeks to which the the Byzantine Emperor replies back in a very angry tone stating that he is the legitimate heir of the Roman Caesars.
                            Demos, I asked you for a 'Hellenic' reference and you give me this? Please re-read my question, I am really interested to see the "Hellenism" of East Rome in name and deed, and given that you have studied East Roman history as you have claimed, this should not be a hard task for you if such evidence exists. Does it?

Originally posted by Bugarino
                            I think your rendition of East Rome during the 7th-15th centuries is what is really colourful, no doubt, when Bulgars came to the Balkans using names like 'Khan' they were not 'the' Slavs or Slavs at all, they did not speak a Slavic language, they used the Greek tongue as their official language of state after its establishment until the creation of Slavonic letters, first address your distorted assertions and the Bulgar flirtation with Greek and your lovely "Bulgar" names like 'Kaloyan'.
                            I agree that a modern Bulgarian ethnicity exists today also. Can you show me a written source during those times that says anything about a Bulgarian "ethnicity"?
                            The Proto-Bulgars originate from the area of Hindukush and Pamir and are first mentioned in 4th century BC in indian and persian writings.
                            Really? Please inform us of the written contemporary sources which corroborate this. Would you call your current Bulgarian leader as 'Khan Prvanov', as the original Bulgars did in their own original (non-Slavic) language?
                            As they spread during the 6-7th century they formed several countries Kuberova Bulgaria in the lands of todays Republic of Macedonia, Kortagova (Volzhka) Bulgaria in the valleys of Volga River, Kubratova Bulgaria in Krimea which expanded and migrated to the Mizia region by the time of Khan Asparuh's regin and made union with the slavic tribes, and took many lands from Byzanthium.
                            Are you intentionally trying to display that series of events in an order not chronogological? Where is your evidence of Bulgars in Macedonia, some apparently 'deciphered' rock that talks about someone's uncle? What connection do you have to the real Bulgars? Do you see Turkic Bulgars as closer cousins than your neighbour Slavic-speakers? Or does that link rest with your Indian cousins in the Kush? Come on, tell me what exactly apart from your name would the original Bulgars recognize on you, the land they conquered with 50,000 horsemen?
                            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                              • Sep 2008

Wake up my Bulgarian friend, I think you guys are having the same delusions as our Greek friends.

Comment

• Demos
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2008

Demos, I asked you for a 'Hellenic' reference and you give me this? Please re-read my question, I am really interested to see the "Hellenism" of East Rome in name and deed, and given that you have studied East Roman history as you have claimed, this should not be a hard task for you if such evidence exists. Does it?
                                SOM,

The term Hellenism, Hellenes, Hellenic (language) is not used in the West. Most people don't even know these terms, let alone use them. In the West we are known as Greeks, Greece, and Greek. In the East we are known as Yunan, Yunanistan, and Yunani.

So let me clarify a few things for you:

In the Greek language the terms "Greece", "Greek", and "Greeks" do not exist.
                                In the Greek language the terms Ελλάς, Έλλην, Έλληνες exist and that's it.
                                So of course no person of Western Europe is going to call us by a name which is unknown to them, since most of the West knows us only by the name the Romans used for us Graecia, Greco, etc.

So just because someone in the West doesn't say "Hellenism" and instead uses the term "Greek", we all know he is referring to us, just like when I use the term "Sweden" instead of Sverige, everyone knows I'm referring to Sverige (ie Sweden).

Comment

Working...
                                X