X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraganOfStip
    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
    Is that in the literary language or just some dialects?
    I'm not sure really, I believe it's an archaic term, like apsaana - prison, chunki - because, moma - girl, chirak - apprentice etc.

I have never heard any Macedonian use this word before up until now.
    Really? If I just joined this forum and didn't see you were an admin I'd call you an imposter for not knowing this word .
    Anyway, it is not often used these days by the youths but the elderly and middle-aged Macedonians still use it.
    We say Бадникова трпеза for the Christmas eve dinner, or during holidays where people don't eat meat (постење) we say посна трпеза.
    Even at culinary shows where it's said "you can include this dish in your holiday feast" we say "можете да го додадете ова јадење на вашата празнична трпеза", for an example.
    Try watching the old Macedonian Folk Tales with Gorgi Kolozov & co., it is quite used there .
    Last edited by DraganOfStip; 02-16-2017, 08:52 AM.
    ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
    ― George Orwell

Comment

• Gocka
      • Dec 2012

I have never heard any Macedonian use this word before up until now.
      We use it in Ohrid, we also call the dining room a Trpezarija.

Is it really a Greek word? Because in Ohrid the dialect is heavy with Turkish words but not any Greek that I'm aware of.

Comment

• DraganOfStip
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
        ...we also call the dining room a Trpezarija.
        Same here in Stip.
        ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
        ― George Orwell

Comment

• Amphipolis
          Banned
          • Aug 2014

Yes, trapeza is the ancient Greek word for table. Modern Greeks use the word in the same ways you mentioned, also the word trapezaria (for dining room). Thus, "I do you the table" means I invite you for dinner; I buy you a dinner etc.

The same word is also used for Bank, a modern Latin-based term that also means Table, Desk, Bench.

===
          Last edited by Amphipolis; 02-16-2017, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by DraganOfStip View Post
            Really? If I just joined this forum and didn't see you were an admin I'd call you an imposter for not knowing this word
            А бе знаев дека вие Штипјани и Охриѓани сте грчишта
            Try watching the old Macedonian Folk Tales with Gorgi Kolozov & co., it is quite used there .
            There's a blast from the past, I grew up watching those as a kid, but admit that I haven't seen them for many years. And I just need to say that the more recent episodes that are on TV these days are nowhere near as good as the old one's with Kolozov, Goce Todorovski and co. Same goes for the more recent episodes of the Tvrdokorni series, the older episodes are much better.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
              • Oct 2011

Although it is quite uncommonly used (to be honest, I can't remember the last time I heard anyone in my immediate family use it), the word does exist in my neck of the woods, specifically in reference to a banquet table as Dragi described. I know Serb’s use it too and I guess I took it to be more of a foreign influence, but who knows, again we don't really use the term.
              Last edited by Tomche Makedonche; 02-16-2017, 07:44 PM.
              “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Gocka
                • Dec 2012

lol. Well at first I was surprised that the word was used in both the Stip and Ohrid dialects considering how different they are.

I tried to do some research because I was intrigued by the fact that the word appears to have Greek origins, which is rare for most dialects out of present day ROM. After talking to some older folk, turns out the word Trpeza is a very old word, one that my great grand parents would have used, in Ohrid it has been replaced with other words except for Trpezarija which is still the most common way to call a dining room, but all other forms of the word are basically not in use anymore.

It seems that many languages in the Balkans and Southern Europe use some form of the Greek Trapeza.

Here is most likely the reason that the word is so widely used.

"In a monastery, a trapeza (or refectory), is the dining hall where monks and pilgrims gather for food and conversation"

It seems to have religious meaning especially in Orthodoxy, which would explain its wide use.

Znacit ne sme so Dragan grcista, ama mnogu golemi verci, Bog da ti prosti za tvojte navredi. Amin

А бе знаев дека вие Штипјани и Охриѓани сте грчишта

Comment

• Momce Makedonce
                  • Jul 2012

Love this video from last week. Really want to know the song playing at 6:20.

Πολιτιστικός Μορφωτικός Σύλλογος Αμπελειών "11.2.2017"
                  "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task." Goce Delcev

Comment

• maco2envy
                    • Jan 2015

Παρουσία βουλευτών του ΣΥΡΙΖΑ η γιορτή με σλαβόφωνα τραγούδια που διοργάνωσε ο σύλλογος Αρκούδες-Μέτσκες. Τι λέει στη Voria.gr ο δήμαρχος Έδεσσας.

Article is in Greek, but translate will do. A Macedonian festival in Voden triggers outrage in Greece, mainly due to the presence of SYRIZA politicians.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2014

Theodora Tzakri also recently almost broke the cleavage national record for the Greek Parliament.

According to experts the record is still held by conservative MP Maria Sodi and her unforgettable first appearance to take an oath in Parliament that made the Parliament speaker whisper "Mother Mary, Jesus Christ".

Σόδη... ''ΑΧ ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΜΟΥ''

Comment

• Karposh
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by maco2envy View Post
                        Article is in Greek, but translate will do. A Macedonian festival in Voden triggers outrage in Greece, mainly due to the presence of SYRIZA politicians.
                        The days when Macedonian folk bands in Greece merely played the instrumental versions to popular Macedonian folk songs at various festivals throughout towns and villages in Aegean Macedonia are long gone. Youtube is flooded with examples of Macedonian festivals in Greece where bands singing Macedonian songs is quite normal now, even hard core patriotic songs. If I’m not mistaken the village of Ovcharani broke the ice back in the late 80’s when the local orchestra began singing in Macedonian and refused to be intimidated by the Greek police who arrived on the scene to disrupt proceedings and put a stop to the Ilinden festival as soon as one Macedonian word was sung. Since then, things have changed quite a bit. The Greeks have been happy to turn a blind eye to it all so long as it’s not inadvertently given any official recognition. It looks like the Syriza MP’s are in strife now – their mere presence at this Macedonian festival in Voden, where the Macedonian language is being celebrated through song, has given the festival and the Macedonian language political recognition. Oops.

Comment

• Karposh
                          • Aug 2015

The following link is to a video of a Macedonian Folkloric presentation in the centre of Solun. Now I know, there's nothing remarkable about that. It's quite common these days. There's nothing remarkable about them singing in Macedonian either but what is noteworthy about this video (for me anyway) can be seen at 3:35 when the very beautiful and patriotic Macedonian song “Od Tam Se Gleda” plays on the loudspeakers. Watch how everyone joins in the singing with pride and joy. They're all singing in unison -Loud & Proud. Contrast this with many closet Macedonians from Greece who have to look over their shoulder before they can pluck up the courage to even greet you in Macedonian (cue my Grkoman neighbour who lives up the road)...If this doesn't bring goosebumps to your skin...

Comment

• Momce Makedonce
                            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Karposh View Post
                            The following link is to a video of a Macedonian Folkloric presentation in the centre of Solun. Now I know, there's nothing remarkable about that. It's quite common these days. There's nothing remarkable about them singing in Macedonian either but what is noteworthy about this video (for me anyway) can be seen at 3:35 when the very beautiful and patriotic Macedonian song “Od Tam Se Gleda” plays on the loudspeakers. Watch how everyone joins in the singing with pride and joy. They're all singing in unison -Loud & Proud. Contrast this with many closet Macedonians from Greece who have to look over their shoulder before they can pluck up the courage to even greet you in Macedonian (cue my Grkoman neighbour who lives up the road)...If this doesn't bring goosebumps to your skin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq5qZ1dHmvU
                            Yes Karposh! I have seen this video before and I absolutely love it when 'Od tam se gleda' comes on, especially when they are singing the part about Solun. Also the cameraman singing along so passionately makes the video even better!
                            "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task." Goce Delcev

Comment

• Amphipolis
                              Banned
                              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Momce Makedonce View Post
                              Yes Karposh! I have seen this video before and I absolutely love it when 'Od tam se gleda' comes on, especially when they are singing the part about Solun. Also the cameraman singing along so passionately makes the video even better!
                              What does the song say?

Comment

• Karposh
                                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                                What does the song say?
                                Od Tam Se Gleda...

English Translation follows:

From There You Can See...

I went up to Osogovo, from there you can see the Pirin Mountains,
                                The Pirin Mountains and the Kresna plain.
                                And so I called out loudly to the Pirin Mountains, “Hey Pirin, are you Macedonian?”
                                “Tell me so it is known and shut our enemies up”
                                Then I climbed up to Kozhuf Mountain, from there you can see the Solun plain,
                                The Solun plain and Solun city.
                                And so I called out loudly to Solun city, “Hey Solun, are you Macedonian?”
                                “Tell me so it is known and shut our enemies up”
                                Then I climbed up to the Shar Mountains, from there you can see the Macedonian Vardar,
                                Macedonian Vardar and Macedonia.
                                And so I called out loudly to Macedonia, “Don't mourn for Pirin and Solun,
                                They are thinking of you and saying – Our Dear Mother is Macedonia”

Comment

Working...
                                X