Ethnic Map of the Macedonians of the Aegean, 1946!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
    I know this doesnt count for anything, but would just like to mention, that my Papou always told me that when he would tell me about the different parts of Greece...
    Even in Homer's 'Iliad' there is nobody that fought on the Greek side that came north of Thessaly, not that I can recall anyway. In fact, the Paeonian people that inhabited the Axios (Vardar) river, which would eventually become Macedonia, fought for the Trojans, as did the Thracians.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Spartan
      • Sep 2008

This is all true
      The northmen fought for Troy according to Homer.
      I know the Illiad well, and you are spot on.

Chalkidiki was a major 'hotspot' during the Pelloponesian wars between Athens an Sparta though, with the Athenians eventually winning the territory...

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

It is probably one place above all that received many colonists from Greece back in the ancient era, Thucydides talks about the people of the area speaking both Greek and their native tongues.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• TriKilaBanani
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Daskalot View Post
          Nice, thank you TriKilaBanani, are they from the same source?
          Yes, I found it in a wikipedia discussion. The discussion was about the fake picture...

...and originals above from the newspaper Borba.

Comment

Working...
          X