Dedo Iljo Vojvoda fought with his 206 Macedonians!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
    You would have never used this flag if it wasn't for Vergina excavations and you had never used the exact symbol (or its' variations), in any meaningful manner, before 1978.
    If that's the case, neither would Greece. Nor had they. But there's a difference. That symbol featured prominently at the excavated tomb and as such was representative of a time in antiquity when Macedonia was free and independent. It was adopted as a state symbol in the modern era because Macedonia was once again free and independent. It wasn't a symbol that represented the subjugation of Macedonia to Athens, which is an inescapable nuance when people of your ilk use it, whether they care to admit it or not.

And whilst that symbol or variants of it may be sparingly found on ancient artefacts across the Balkans, since the excavated tomb it has also been unearthed in places like Ohrid and Prilep, where it decorates pottery and the shields carried by Macedonian soldiers. So you're in no position to definitively argue that Macedonia (or Macedonians) would never have used the symbol or a variant of it as some stage. Moreover, depictions of the sun have been a feature in Macedonian iconography, so the adoption of this particular symbol by the people can hardly be deemed unnatural.

Greece's comical obsession with the symbol is much like the debacle about erecting a statue of Alexander in Athens. In both cases it is ironic beyond measure. The ancient inhabitants of Athens were subjugated by Alexander and probably trembled at the sight of his Macedonian soldiers that carried shields emblazoned with that symbol. In Greece today, descendants of Albanian and Anatolian immigrants claim both as their own. I would suggest a case of Stockholm Syndrome, but that would only be true were it to refer to actual Greeks.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Amphipolis
      Banned
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Chicho Makedonski View Post
      It’s common sense, at the start of Phillip II of Macedon’s reign there were only 6 rays on the Macedonian sun but as Ancient Macedonia proper grew and more tribes became part of the Macedonian nation, more rays were added equaling the 16 Macedonian tribes. I’ve seen fellow Macedonians speak of this theory and it makes sense.
      The first part isn't so. You'll find out that this story cannot be found in any books (serious or not) or sources, it's a modern legend.

Originally posted by Chicho Makedonski View Post
      because it is the cultural symbol of the ethnic Macedonians since ancient times.
      That suggests continuity, when in reality the mere fact that the location of Vergina/Aegae was unknown in modern times is a proof of extreme non-continuity.

Comment

• Amphipolis
        Banned
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
        That symbol featured prominently at the excavated tomb and as such was representative of a time in antiquity when Macedonia was free and independent. It was adopted as a state symbol in the modern era because Macedonia was once again free and independent.
        That is Greece's point. That you try to present yourselves as relevant to Ancient Macedonia.

It wasn't a symbol that represented the subjugation of Macedonia to Athens, which is an inescapable nuance when people of your ilk use it, whether they care to admit it or not.
        I don't know any such symbols actually.

And whilst that symbol or variants of it may be sparingly found on ancient artefacts across the Balkans, since the excavated tomb it has also been unearthed in places like Ohrid and Prilep, where it decorates pottery and the shields carried by Macedonian soldiers. So you're in no position to definitively argue that Macedonia (or Macedonians) would never have used the symbol or a variant of it as some stage. Moreover, depictions of the sun have been a feature in Macedonian iconography, so the adoption of this particular symbol by the people can hardly be deemed unnatural.
        Really?? What are the chances?? Vergina discovery, as any archaeological discovery, could very likely have not happened. And you're really arguing there are chances you would have adopted the same symbol. Can you find any reference in your books or history prior to 1978?

Greece's comical obsession with the symbol is much like the debacle about erecting a statue of Alexander in Athens. In both cases it is ironic beyond measure. The ancient inhabitants of Athens were subjugated by Alexander and probably trembled at the sight of his Macedonian soldiers that carried shields emblazoned with that symbol. In Greece today, descendants of Albanian and Anatolian immigrants claim both as their own. I would suggest a case of Stockholm Syndrome, but that would only be true were it to refer to actual Greeks.
        I think the Roman Empire "solved" these problems. This is 2020 and the 1944-1949 Civil War issues have been left behind. The 1910s-1920s so called National Division didn't mean much after Venizelos' death. I'm pretty sure modern Spartans and Athenians are not continuing the Peloponnesian War.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

That is Greece's point. That you try to present yourselves as relevant to Ancient Macedonia.
          It's the other way around. We consider all of Macedonia's history, including antiquity, relevant to us. That's quite normal for any nation. England has statues of Boudicca and Richard the Lionheart near the Palace of Westminster - neither of them spoke English. In the case of the former, the Anglo-Saxons hadn't even arrived in the British Isles yet, whereas the latter spent barely 6 months of his 10 year kingship in England. I don't think I have ever seen Wales or France complain about England asserting the relevance of a Celtic queen or French-speaking (and mostly French by ancestry) king to itself. Perhaps it has something to do with them not being psychotically insecure or delusional like Greece. That is my point.
          I don't know any such symbols actually.
          Sure you do, just look at the blue and white rag hanging on your wall.
          Really?? What are the chances?? Vergina discovery, as any archaeological discovery, could very likely have not happened. And you're really arguing there are chances you would have adopted the same symbol. Can you find any reference in your books or history prior to 1978?
          There's no need for two question marks per question. Temper your excitement and read a little slower. If the discovery of the tomb never occurred it doesn't mean the discovery in Prilep would have suffered the same fate. A symbol on the shield of a Macedonian soldier would seem appropriate for state or cultural use as it would pay homage to our ancestors. So, yes, there is a chance, but I don't provide specific odds on hypotheticals like you do. It would be like asking for specific odds on a fight between Mike Tyson and Muhammad Ali and being serious about it. Seems like a fun idea in the beginning until reality kicks in and you realise you're being a moron.
          I think the Roman Empire "solved" these problems. This is 2020 and the 1944-1949 Civil War issues have been left behind. The 1910s-1920s so called National Division didn't mean much after Venizelos' death. I'm pretty sure modern Spartans and Athenians are not continuing the Peloponnesian War.
          Spartans and Athenians were Greek. Macedonians were not. You may disagree, but I could care less because you still don't get it. These aren't historical problems that need to be solved, they're inferiority complex issues that you and your supposed kinsfolk need to examine. In case it's escaped your attention, most countries don't behave like irrational tyrants when others disagree with their narrative on ancient and medieval history, unless they have something to hide. You may think that such an approach demonstrates political strength, but what it really does is expose the weakness of your identity. Macedonia is the smaller country yet Greece (and Bulgaria) have the Napoleon complex. It would be amusing if it wasn't so pathetic.
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Chicho Makedonski
            • Feb 2019

The first part isn't so. You'll find out that this story cannot be found in any books (serious or not) or sources, it's a modern legend.
            Haha please, it's not the matter of books... common sense prevails and the word of the people who created and use the symbol throughout time, the Macedonians.
            Last edited by Chicho Makedonski; 11-17-2020, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• Chicho Makedonski
              • Feb 2019

That suggests continuity, when in reality the mere fact that the location of Vergina/Aegae was unknown in modern times is a proof of extreme non-continuity.
              It has nothing to do with Vergina/Aegae. The Macedonian sun is not only subject to Vergina/Aegae, it's the cultural symbol of the Macedonians since ancient times. The Macedonians preserved the Macedonian sun throughout time which is why modern Macedonians used the Macedonian sun in public areas as early as the 1700/1800's.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

I find it amusing when reality clashes head-on against myths which seem perfectly logical to a Greek. What I don't get is how much slack is afforded to Greeks in this regard. Large swathes of Greek uninhabited lands received numerous population transfers of various ethnic identities over thousands of years. Now the "pure Greeks" point the finger at Macedonians claiming purity and sole ownership of ancient Greece (much less Macedonia). It is positively pathetic and should be shut down at every opportunity.
                Risto the Great
                MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

Working...
                X