X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vangelovski
    • Sep 2008

Volk,

You still haven't substantiated any of your specific claims nor are you taking into consideration the damage that Greece would cause to its own economy, its own private investors in Macedonia, other European investors in Macedonia, Greece's own ongoing economic problems and its social unrest (which we witnessed over the past month).

Like I said earlier, the Montenegro and Stip options are good, but even when they are up and running, the usual suspects (defeatists and scaremongers) will find new reasons not to withdraw from negotiations - they've been predicting imminent doom for 20 years now.

Have courage and be resolute
    Last edited by Vangelovski; 01-10-2009, 04:30 AM.
    If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Bratot
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Rogi View Post
      The big companies that get involved in Macedonia, such as the French bank "Société Générale" which bought the Ohrid bank (as one example of the now many) hold some significant political influence in their home countries.

They would not like to lose money on their investments in Macedonia on the account of Greece's nationalism.

The political, economic and diplomatic landscape is much different today than it was some 15 years ago and Greece cannot declare an unilateral embargo on Macedonia - or if it does, it will be unable to maintain it for very long.
      I think the suggestion that Greece will initiate an embargo on Macedonia if we were to end the negotiations and move toward a UN Resolution on the name is un-realistic and those who suggest it do not consider all the factors that are involved which make it quite an unrealistic move.
      I agree, Societe Generale is part of a huge corporation. With big influence.

But, can you explain more 'plastically' how they will lose their investment if Greece put an embargo?

And don't you think that such embargo, on part of the foreign investors in MK would have other development than suggested upper?

On a contrary, from what have been proved in practice so far, the reaction of the foreign investors wont be directed towards Greece, but there gonna be initiated huge international pressure from the domestic countries of those companies, toward Macedonian government to accept the Greek demanding and to change the name.

Thats how the eventual embargo would reflect. Thats why I am personally bitter from our politicians.

Originally posted by Pelister View Post
      Thats it in a nutshell for me Vangelovski.

Giving people the opportunity "to vote" on what OUR name should be - is giving ALL the power in regards to who we are over to others.
      I agree.

Originally posted by Volk View Post
      Once we have established crna gora as our sea port and build a international cargo airport our reliance of greece greatly diminishes. I am unsure of the time frame but a realistic estimate would be 1 - 2 years, hopefully earlier.

The embargo crippled us in 95 because our border to serbia was shut, we simply had no access to the international market. We are not in the same situation now, however an embargo would number 1 stop any future and current foreign investments, ruin our image, cut the economy by , I am estimating 20% with thousands losing their jobs. This coupled with the world financial crisis which has already effected the industrial and textile sector would be a setback of 10 years. The albanians are a critical factor in this as well, they will scream why should be pay for your name.

Completing corridor 8 (west to east Macedonia) would mean we are not bound by the blackmails of the south. albania would then be our port, bulgaria is within immediate access (currently there is no infrastructure).

Dont get me wrong, if we abandoned the talks tomorrow I would be cheering up and down finally at least of ending the humiliation. However we need the plans in place to absorb the damage, another year or so will not kill us taking into account the ramifications.

Meanwhile the 'greeks' can drive to serbia on Aleksandar Makedonski highway
      Don't get me wrong either. But the crucial question, no matter which political party is ruling, WHY THE HECK, SO FAR NON OF THIS STRATEGICALLY SIGNIFICANT STEPS ARE NOT DONE?

They are not even started, they should be our priority. But instead of it, the building of the railways to Bulgaria are blocked, to Albania too, nothing happening with the such loudly promoted cargo airport in Shtip etc.

As I often say.. someone among us..is not 'our'. ( nekoj megju nas ne e "nash" )

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
      A Greek embargo would stop any future and current investments from Greece though, not from any other countries (or will it?), and this is where my question is, do we really need Greek investments to survive as a state? Or is more so the access to the port which is a necessity for us to trade with others? Are we putting too much emphasis on the influence of Greece, or not enough?

In the worst-case scenario, what survival options do we have at our disposal were we to tell the Greeks to shove their 'talks' and withdraw altogether?
      Maybe we are putting too much emphasis on their influence, but I totally agree that all future development would be questioned if we are dealing with embargo under this conditions which are actual now in this moment.

Originally posted by Volk View Post
      You dont agree with this? If so I think your a bit naive. Which company would want to invest millions into a country when they cannot find a route to export their products?

The extent of this depends on the situation and media coverage on the ground. If the scenario erupts in violence from the siptari which is a possibility then undoubtedly it would ruin our image. What I am trying to say is any destabilization of the country would hurt our image.

Thousands of workers are employed by greek owned companies, this is a fact.

Maybe you would point out why these things would not happen. Would it not be prudent and good planing to prapare for these scenarios and aviod or minimize their effect?

I am happy to answer your questions and have a debate however you have not bothered to answer mine and by avoiding them weakening your argument.
      Can you please justify the number.. - thousands? Lets hear what is the actual number, because this way of presenting the arguments make unrealistic predictions.

Thousands can be 2, 30, 200.000... give me a number, justified.

Yes, we should prepare. And what are we waiting so far?

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
      Volk,

You still haven't substantiated any of your specific claims nor are you taking into consideration the damage that Greece would cause to its own economy, its own private investors in Macedonia, other European investors in Macedonia, Greece's own ongoing economic problems and its social unrest (which we witnessed over the past month).

Like I said earlier, the Montenegro and Stip options are good, but even when they are up and running, the usual suspects (defeatists and scaremongers) will find new reasons not to withdraw from negotiations - they've been predicting imminent doom for 20 years now.

Have courage and be resolute!

The courage is not enough alone, first you need a brain in order not to waste it for nothing.

The embargo, eventual, will have big impact on our economy and in general reflecting on our position.
      Thats the truth.

Until someone, accomplish those strategic projects of national interest, the railway,airport etc.

The unofficial embargo, which Greece have done to us in the beggining of last year, had a pretty big impact on us.

There were efforts to lay on the USA support and to use 'our' partnership, by enforcing a new Draft resolution by the Security Council re-admitting Republic of Macedonia to the United Nations under its Constitutional name.

This idea ( with ready Draft resolution text ) was sent to our government and personally to Mr. Gruevski.
      We even took the freedom to adress the U.S. embassy in Macedonia.

But, the reality is, we don't have a real partners in anyone, to relay on.
      Last edited by Bratot; 01-10-2009, 05:07 AM.
      The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• Vangelovski
        • Sep 2008

Bratot,

The only reason Greek embargoes have any effect, is because the Macedonian Government does not RECIPROCATE. Its too scared that it will "look bad" in front of its foreign masters.
        If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

Bratot,

The only reason Greek embargoes have any effect, is because the Macedonian Government does not RECIPROCATE. Its too scared that it will "look bad" in front of its foreign masters.
          This is it.
          Anyone who suggests Macedonia has something to lose by aggressively defending its rights in the worldwide community is simply another victim! Every time I go to Macedonia, everyone whinges their arse off about how bad it is. How much worse could it get? What would be so bad if the Macedonians assert their rights, suffer a fraction more (possibly) from Greek embargoes, then have a solid foundation from which to build a sovereign nation from? In fact, by forcing Greece to show its nasty hand, it would shame them in the worldwide community.

Not difficult stuff. Macedonia has nothing to lose.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Bratot
            • Sep 2008

I think both of you should spend more time in Macedonia living the everyday reality. No offence.

I can only partially agree with you.
            The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• Vangelovski
              • Sep 2008

Bratot,

There are many people in Macedonia that advocate the same thing - including the members of Dostoinstvo who participated in 2001. Maybe you should tell them the same thing? There are also millions of people across the world living in similar or worse conditions and they have not problems with asserting their national sovereignty or human rights. Maybe you should also tell them the same thing?

Comment

• Bratot
                • Sep 2008

Bratot,

I agree, we are sissies.

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                This is it.
                Anyone who suggests Macedonia has something to lose by aggressively defending its rights in the worldwide community is simply another victim! Every time I go to Macedonia, everyone whinges their arse off about how bad it is.[B] How much worse could it get? [/B]What would be so bad if the Macedonians assert their rights, suffer a fraction more (possibly) from Greek embargoes, then have a solid foundation from which to build a sovereign nation from? In fact, by forcing Greece to show its nasty hand, it would shame them in the worldwide community.

Not difficult stuff. Macedonia has nothing to lose.

Risto,

To be fair in this case, when you ask "How much worse could it get?" you should also provide an answer to :
                "How long this will take?" or "How long it's gonna be like this?", and
                "What are our options and alternatives?"

Macedonia is loosing already, we lose the valuable time to progress, in every meaning.

And thats why i'm so angry to all politicians, who never manage to move us a step further.

As VOLK said, we should do that and that and that.... So why the fuk nobody is doing his job, for which btw.. are being paid by the ppl of Macedonia.

Somebody is using this, somebody makes a profit from this situation and is working against our national interests!

Another thing, dont criticise the ppl. They have put up with too much shit so far. All they want is equal chance to advance in life. A better opportunity for the youth.

It's not right to point out at them, because they are not guilty for the bad governing.
                So far, there is no national strategy.

And by blaming the ppl, or the system... w/e, we never gonna get out of this situation.

Everyone should take his own responsibility. Untill then, by looking the fault in the ppl or the system, instead of teling who is responsible with a full name and position, we are providing the same group of ppl to tear up our country.

Thats why we are damned to have Crvenkovski for a President, and to have a whole bunch of cretinous political lining.

Bratot,

There are many people in Macedonia that advocate the same thing - including the members of Dostoinstvo who participated in 2001. Maybe you should tell them the same thing? There are also millions of people across the world living in similar or worse conditions and they have not problems with asserting their national sovereignty or human rights. Maybe you should also tell them the same thing?

And what do you offer to them?

To suffer while you comment from a safe distance?

Don't overvalue yourself in own arrogance Vangelovski.
                While we are speaking, the Parlament rejected the request of Dostoinstvo and rest of the war participants.
                Their status..is even or worse with the status of those who fought against them!
                Ask yourself if that not gonna break their faith in the state which they deffended. At least in a good part of them.

If time to fight come again, they gonna stand up as much as rest of the ppl, because after a while..living in a misery, you dont have much to lose.

But not only you, no one has the right to hazard with the lives of the ppl.
                So let's stop crapping and lecturing what should be done, lets act!

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Bratot View Post
                  Another thing, dont criticise the ppl. They have put up with too much shit so far. All they want is equal chance to advance in life. A better opportunity for the youth.

It's not right to point out at them, because they are not guilty for the bad governing.
                  So far, there is no national strategy.
                  Bratot, I was going to say "I don't criticise the people at all".
                  But the more I thought about it, the more I do. I was in Macedonia when VMRO-DPMNE was voted in. Most Macedonians showed utter apathy in relation to the governing of Macedonia. Do you think these politicians would get away with as many despicable acts if the citizens protested and demanded on a large scale. No! They have been victims for 500 years and accept any dire situation as their plight in life. The present diminution of the Macedonian identity that is being inflicted on the Macedonian people is yet another dilemma they will endure with nothing more than a whimper. Will the Macedonians ever rise as one? There will be a national strategy when the people eventually do. In the meanwhile, all we can do in the Diaspora is help stir up the national fervour and increase economic opportunities in Macedonia using our connections outside of Macedonia.
                  Risto the Great

Comment

• Bratot
                    • Sep 2008

There is a lot to add honestly, but I wouldn't proceed here too many eyes and ears around.

All I want to make clear is I dont have anything against you, I just wish we all could cooperate together on a higher level and bring one after another victory, for our Macedonian cause.

And maybe... also to see the Greeks cry

Pozdrav!

Comment

• Rogi
                      • Sep 2008

If Macedonia were to take strong stances in support of Macedonia being a cradle of the Macedonian people, as opposed toward a quasi-federalised multi-ethnic state, if we were to solve the internal ethnic demographic problem within Macedonia, then we would be unstoppable by Greece or any other neighbour.

Right now, time is on Greece's side, because as things further develop in the region with Kosovo and so on, they also further develop in Macedonia with Western Macedonia increasingly becoming lost to the Macedonians.

Macedonia should make some serious strategic moves that could alter the ethnic demographics of the country within a short period of time, allowing to freely move back toward a Macedonia for the Macedonians (with all minority having full minority rights) as opposed to a Macedonia for the citizens (with it no longer being the cradle of the Macedonian people).

I'm talking about moves like the Government using budgetary reserves (or loans) to fund a number of major infrastructural projects in Kosovo (heavy train rails, road networks, communication networks, etc etc). Macedonia would do so promoting itself as a supporter of Kosovo and the region, helping the country build up and so on (which is good for Macedonian diplomacy, despite the ulterior motive). Bear in mind, this would also help Macedonia in the long run in economic terms, as it would have a neighbour which can provide a developed alternative trade route for exporting outside of Macedonia.

These would be a number of projects that would require the employment of a total 30,000 people (costing some 300 million euro / year) with 60% of the employees coming from Macedonia (as a condition of the Macedonian Government in order to invest in the project). With 10,000 kosovars employed and and some 20,000 Albanians from Macedonia employed to work in Kosovo - followed by some other incentives to help sway them to relocate and move to Kosovo (such as Gov offers to buy up their properties or other incentives) with 20,000 Albanian men from Macedonia moving to Kosovo to work, if the incentive is provided for their whole families to move (assume average of 4-5 persons per family), then that can change the ethno-demographic situation in Macedonia by some 80,000-100,000 people.

That might be costly (i.e. 1.5 billion euro over 5 years) but it has immediate effects in Macedonia in quite a number of ways and some of the costs are recovered.

Firstly, with such a change in the ethno-demographics, the political landscape is drastically changed. I need not go further in explaining what this means, but suffice to say that this could absolutely remove the greater Albania aspirations and if the right amounts of people are employed into Kosovo from the right municipalities, it could completely change things on a Federal and municipal level.

Next, with 20,000 people employed using budgetary reserves (or Government taking up loans) that's 20,000 people less getting unemployment pay and benefits. Actually, it's 40,000 less people getting unemployment pay and benefits (20,000 newly employed Albanian men and their 20,000 wives who now no longer live in Macedonia and cannot claim the unemployment benefits that they currently do).

It could also mean there are some 40,000-60,000 less students, requiring less teachers and schools to be operated in certain areas, representing savings in the budget - whilst those students would have moved to Kosovo which would then require an influx of new teachers, etc (employment opportunities for those teachers of the Albanian students from Macedonia).

With these major projects, given the investment, a lot of the materials required (i.e. pavement for a road-network, and so on) could be bought from Macedonia, and these exports into Kosovo (albeit, paid for by the Macedonian Government) would also helps stimulate the Macedonian economy creating more jobs in Macedonia for the Macedonian people (this, along with the notion that it is in Macedonia's interest to have a developed trade route with Kosovo, would minimise the outcry of the Macedonian people against the Macedonian Government spending so much for projects in Kosovo - without them knowing the true national objectives)

Couple that with the long-term Macedonian initiatives for "3rd child" and so on, and we bring Macedonia back to be the cradle of the Macedonian people, the home of the Macedonian people.

And in the end, all of that is win-win for everybody. It does not involve ethnic tension or civil war, etc, but rather it's providing opportunities for employment and a better life to current Macedonian citizens (who happen to be Albanians) by giving them the chance and choice to take up a job in Kosovo (jobs which would subsequently cause them to relocate to Kosovo). It is quite similar to the economic ethnic cleansing that the Albanians have begun in western Macedonia, by buying out the properties of Macedonians living there, at overblown prices, to ensure they sell up. It's unlike the forceful ethnic cleansing that they are also doing in western Macedonia forcing the Macedonians to move out because of the bad treatment from their (now numerous) Albanian neighbours.

When that's what our country is, then time becomes on our side, then we become strong enough that we cannot be defeated from within, then we are truly free to fight the battles that need to be fought.

Changing the situation inside Macedonia should be of utmost national importance, not something we should let go as we currently are doing.
                      Last edited by Rogi; 01-11-2009, 02:31 AM.

Comment

• Rogi
                        • Sep 2008

Hmmm, did I stumble on a quick way to kill a thread or what?

Comment

• Risto the Great
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Rogi View Post
                          Hmmm, did I stumble on a quick way to kill a thread or what?

No, not at all Rogi.
                          They have merit and represent a fair bit to digest. Personally, I don't feel like doing anything for Kosovo right now. But your idea is a dramatic departure from traditional Balkan pettiness and could be a very new approach that could generate excellent results.

Again, a lot to digest. But the following text will be enough for me:
                          If Macedonia were to take strong stances in support of Macedonia being a cradle of the Macedonian people, as opposed toward a quasi-federalised multi-ethnic state, if we were to solve the internal ethnic demographic problem within Macedonia, then we would be unstoppable by Greece or any other neighbour.
                          Risto the Great

Comment

• Bratot
                            • Sep 2008

Something similar to Rogi version.

Without partition of the country without exchanges of territory and population, without coercion, without violence and war , without condemnation and foreign intervention, without any resistance of Albanian citizens, instead of, they will help us in this plan with a big pleasure.

According to what they do and for what they dream of, in fact they would trade with pleasure "their part" of Macedonia, for some country with high economic standard and opportunities for better life and perspective for them and their families.

The Albanians are never sincere about the intentions when they speak about having equal rights to be Macedonian citizens. Nope, but they would be pleased if they could give up of the posibility to become the most privileged citizens of our country, only.. under the condition to become citizens of even a second row..of lets say Austria, Germany, Britain, France, Sweden, Swiss, Italy..etc.

So, all we have to do is to help our "Albanian brothers and sisters" to become fully foreigners We can send them in EU by providing every conditions to accomplish that.

1. To open so called "workers university" in every region in west Macedonia where there is population of at least few thousands arround, where the Albanians could learn somekind of a "proffession".

2. To open "language schools" in the same places, where they could learn to speak some of the languages in EU where they would like to emigrate.

3. To introduce them closer the EU culture, to help them understand EU lifestyle and to adjust easily. We can open some "Home of EU culture" for example, to employ Albanians in those institutions, so basically "2 flies with 1 kick" improving the quote of employment for the minorities.

4. To bring employers from EU, to organize some road-show where they could easily come in contact.

Thats the philosophy, we gonna do exportation of the best Macedonian product- "Educated Albanian", take it and go!!

So, we can prepare lets say 50.000 Albanians to leave the country, to invest in them and to send them in EU where they would find a job and after a while they would bring some of their family member, and another...and another..so on so on.

This shouldn't cost us a lot from the budget. I think we could afford it. It would take 5 or 10 years after which their number would decrease for 100.000, maybe more.
                            Last edited by Bratot; 01-12-2009, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• Bratot
                              • Sep 2008

По информациите дека грчката министерка за надворешни работи, Дора Бакојани во март или најдоцна почетокот на април ќе има средба со новиот американски државен секретар, Хилари Клинтон. Македонците во Америка следната недела почнуваат кампања за масовно испраќање писма до конгресмените и сенаторите. Ќе ги информираат за правата на македонското малцинство во Грција и ќе бараат поддршка. Ќе потсетат и на добрата американско - македонската соработка.

- Иако Грците тоа редовно го прават како и ние и иако мислиме дека се поголема бројка од нас добро е тие конгресмени и сенатори да знаат дека има Македонци во нивните држави и дека не ќутиме на грчкото лоби. Често пати кога ние одиме во Конгресот се случува првото нешто што го викаат да биде дека ова е првиот пат некој Македонец да дојде во нашата канцеларија, изјави Методија Колоски, претседател на Обединетата македонска дијаспора.

Од Обединетата македонска дијаспора велат дека најавената посета на Бакојани не е за изненадување. Очекуваат таа да присуствува на свечениот банкет што секоја година на крајот од март го организира американскиот претседател во чест на грчкиот ден на независноста. На прослава се покануваат по околу 250 највлијателни Грци во Америка. Македонците велат дека до тогаш имаат време да се подготват за лобирање, но порачуваат да се внимава со провокациите од македонска страна. Како пример ја даваат антимакедонската резолуција која Грците се обидуваат да ја протнат во Конгресот од 94-тата година. Она што загрижува е што со текот на времето таа добива се поголем број на поддржувачи.

„ Повеќето конгресмени ја поддржаа таа резолуција поради тоа што се преименува аеродромот “Александар Македонски“. Мислам, аргументите беа на страна на Грците и ги искористија многу добро, така што треба малку и претпазливи да бидеме со такви потези. Нели имаше и пред Букурешт Премиерот постави цвеќе на гробот на Гоце Делчев и на тој гроб имало мапа на Голема Македонија. Тоа многу го искористија Грците во Америка и добија повеќе поддршка од сенаторите и конгресмените поради тоа„ , изјави Методија Колоски, претседател на Обединетата македонска дијаспора.

Тврдењата дека Македонија спроведува националистичка пропаганда со територијални претензии кон Грција, Бакојани минатата година пред сите членови на Комисијата за надворешна политика на Сенатот го аргументирала со фотографијата со Премиерот пред картата на голема Македонија.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                                • Sep 2008

Rogi, in a post on Maknews, gets to the crux of the matter in relation to the UMD.

Like any other Macedonian, Sekerinska can register for the event and attend it, and perhaps even learn something (doubtful).
                                Sekerinska can still hold her treacherous views, that is her prerogative.

However, with UMD promoting Sekerinska as a special, invited and honoured guest, than it implies that the UMD views Sekerinska as a special and honoured guest in that UMD see's her views and her push for a name-change and other defeatist anti-Macedonian positions as having merit and worthy of being honoured.

Furthermore, by inviting Sekerinska as a special and honoured guest and as a keynote speaker, the United Macedonian Diaspora will be providing a platform for those who support treacherous positions (such as a pro-name-change and 'EU at all costs') to push those views.

If the UMD is not able to take a stance and prove just what its positions are, then it will lose the respect of the entire Macedonian Diaspora, along with the overwhelming majority of the Macedonians in the Republic of Macedonia.

More than discrediting itself though, UMD would actually be providing a platform for anti-Macedonian views to be promoted and that pushes UMD to the point of being against the Macedonian Cause itself.

I definitely do not want to be associated with an organisation that will do that and if that's what happens then I most certainly will not be involved with UMD any more. In fact, at that point, nor should any Macedonian.

If the United Macedonian Diaspora is the organisation of the Macedonian Diaspora, then it should respect the will of the Macedonian Diaspora.

If the United Macedonian Diaspora is a pro-Macedonian organisation, if it has holds any actual beliefs and positions, then it must take a stand and stick to those positions.

Otherwise, it shows that it has no positions, it is not an unwavering organisation that works for the Macedonian Cause.

This is a real chance for the United Macedonian Diaspora to become the organisation that every Macedonian should get behind.

This is a real chance for the United Macedonian Diaspora to prove what it stands for.
                                There is no doubt about the Macedonian Diaspora's hopes in relation to Macedonia. There should be no doubt about the United Macedonian Diaspora's hopes. But there is. And this is unfortunate.

Well done Rogi. A definitive and noble response.
                                Risto the Great

Comment

Working...
                                X