X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueMacedonian
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
    I'd like to learn to play the guitar, I have a good friend who I can learn a few things from but my question relates to buying a guitar that will suit a beginner...

I'm of the view that you get what you pay for, so I'm not interested in getting anything that's dirt cheap (as new)...

I'm only intersted in acoustic but I'm leaning toward acoustic/electric mainly because of the ability to use applications like Apples 'Garageband' to record and add other tracks.

Does anyone recommend a particular brand, body shape, type of strings or other considerations for a beginner...?

I only want to nail 2 songs for now, Joy Division's, 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' and 'Ceremony'...I've got a handle on the keyboards to 'Love Will Tear Us Apart', I just need to learn the guitar parts

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Fender. I used to own one and it is a perfect beginners guitar. It's not too expensive and the quality is excellent. The only strings I ever use are D'Addario's (9 gauge).
    Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Phoenix
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by TrueMacedonian View Post
      Fender. I used to own one and it is a perfect beginners guitar. It's not too expensive and the quality is excellent. The only strings I ever use are D'Addario's (9 gauge).
      Thanks TM, yeah I've been looking at some of the Fender range on the net...I love the look of their dreadnought cutaway range, how they sound and play is another matter...still researching but getting some great help from everyone on this thread.

Thanks again to all....and yes RtG, I have your number bro.

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
        • Jan 2010

I can sell you a plastic guitar and a copy of guitar hero if you want Phoenix...other than that I don't really have anything to contribute...

I'll ask my mate about it, he knows quite a bit when it comes to different types of guitars.

Comment

• Phoenix
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by EgejskaMakedonia View Post
          I can sell you a plastic guitar and a copy of guitar hero if you want Phoenix...other than that I don't really have anything to contribute...
          lol...the plastic guitar might be a cheap option when I'm fustrated and decide to do a Pete Townshend number on the fuckin thing...

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
            • Oct 2011

Zdravo Phoenix, just to add my two cents, taking up music as a hobby and sticking with it is most likely going to burn a pretty big hole in your pocket, it's one of the most expensive interests there is, you have been warned...

Having said that, if you're only looking at picking up an acoustic guitar to have a muck around with once in a while then to be honest, as a beginner I wouldn't be looking at spending that much on it, in reality you can pay up to $9,000 for an acoustic and still turn around one day and not be happy with it (trust me it happens). So my advice would be as a beginner to look at something about the $500 mark, probably a nice Yamaha with an integrated pick up, Yami are involved in the making of a variety of acoustic instruments so they've got a bit of know how behind them plus they're range includes some nice finishes so if it ends up being one of those show piece items around the house it will fit that criteria too. I know Epiphone also make a couple of low end acoustics' as well so they might be worth a look at (Epiphone is associated with Gibson).

I think Origin is on the mark though, primarily you should have a go at a couple of them out in the stores, although being a beginner its sort of hard to really know what you're looking for, that's why I recommend going for something like a low range Yamaha first and if you get hooked then you will have a bit more of an idea on the kind of guitar you're really after and therefore be better placed to spend some proper cash for something more to your liking, cause in the end that's what it's all about, finding something which you personally feel comfortable with playing that goes best with your particular technique, style of playing and tone you're after.

If you can get your mate with you to check out the quality of the build of whichever one you fancy that would be good too so that he can check for defects, most of this stuff is fixable but it could turn your $500 guitar into a $1,000 if it seriously has some bad glitches, so best to try and pick up one with the least amount of stuff you may have to muck around with. If you get into it you will be making your own mods to the guitars and tailoring them the way you like them anyway. Make sure you plug it in an amp and test the electrics before buying.

If you're still looking at initially spending some extra cash to get something with a bit of quality, then I'd agree with Riste's recommendation and look at probably purchasing a low end Maton, they are a pretty decent guitar and made in AUS, although they outsourced the electronics to Asia in the early 2000's which initially saw a reduction in quality but they are better now (if you can grab a second hand Maton pre 2000 for about the same cost grab it). Takamine also made a couple of decent models in that bracket. Definitely look for something with a solid top, preferably spruce, it should add to the overall tone the older it gets. Again if you can have your mate there to check for defects it will be beneficial. Also if you plan on mucking around more above the 12 fret (high octave solo's), then look at a cut away as well otherwise you will be struggling.

In regards to string gauges, this will alternate the more you get into it cause you will end up finding which gauge suits your playing best, as a beginner I would suggest a lighter gauge at first simply because it will be less strain on your fingers until you strengthen them up, if you find you tend to be a bit more heavy handed then you can try some heavier gauges.

Starting with an acoustic will definitely refine your technique, particularly in finger work, if you want to find out how good an electric players technique is, you give them an acoustic, having said that though, electrics, in my opinion, are a lot more fun. If you're starting to lean towards an electric, if Riste is willing to part with one of his Strat's for half price, I'd definitely look at that as an option, they are a great guitar, especially to learn on (like TrueMac said), after that it comes down to personal style, sound and choice. I'd be looking at something with a straight through neck though, bolt on's don't carry tone that well and you need to pay attention to weight distribution as well, there's nothing worse than playing a neck heavy guitar (both of these factors relate more to the cheaper electrics). To be honest I could probably go on for a couple of pages that's why my best advice first would be to get something not too dirt cheap but modest cheap and once you work out what kind of player you are, then look at getting something that suits your style best, trust me, you will have a heaps better idea on what your after at that stage and your money will be spent more wisely.

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
            I am a stratocaster man (have about 7 of them)
            Sounding like a text book Fender fan there mate (boardering Fender Fetish), let me guess a different Strat for each day of the week?, please tell me you at least crank them through something like a JCM 800 and not a Deluxe Reverb or Super Reverb, otherwise I'm going to start calling you "Risto's got the Blues" hehe
            Last edited by Tomche Makedonche; 06-06-2012, 08:37 AM.
            “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Phoenix
              • Dec 2008

Hi Tomche, hey thanks for jumping onboard with your thoughts, much appreciated.

The juggling act for me is how much to spend to get a pretty good guitar, so I can at least start on the right note (pardon the pun)...

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                lol...the plastic guitar might be a cheap option when I'm fustrated and decide to do a Pete Townshend number on the fuckin thing...
                Haha, back in the days it wasn't all that bad. I became a pro in no time at all. Looking back now, it does seem stupid playing a plastic guitar.

This pretty much sums it up lol.

Randy Marsh - Best Moments - Guitar Hero - YouTube

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                  • Oct 2011

Between $500 and $1,500 max at this stage (unless you have a good idea what you're after my opinion would lean to more the lower end of that bracket). Try a Yamaha for the lower range, Maton or Takamine for the higher, although it all depends on build quality and sound, just because it's more expensive doesn't mean it's necessarily better, especially if it's a "better" brands entry range, you may find a slightly better model Yamaha feels and sounds better then the entry level Maton. There use to be a good Canadian guitar called Garrison whose entry level was around the higher range of that bracket which would have been my personal recommendation but they aren't around anymore, if you can find a used one of those or a Maton pre 2000 within that price bracket I think it would be a good buy, just do some research on the particular model first to make sure you're not getting ripped off and obviously if you can try it out first then do that. Either way, go into a couple of stores and try out a bunch of them to get a feel for them and take note of how they feel (width and thickness of the neck) and sound.
                  “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Go to musiciansfriend.com and select the used section.
                    Find the acoustic guitars.
                    If you spend more than US$500, shipping is free!
                    The "used" guiatars are often simply floorstock. In other words hanging in a shop somewhere. You will not beat these prices anywhere. Good Taylors for about $750 ... absolute no brainer. And you could sell it for more than you pay ... a dream come true.

Do not spend more than AUS$1000 otherwise you are up for GST and duty.

... and this is why my fetish is running rampant.
                    Risto the Great
                    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Tomche Makedonche View Post
                      Sounding like a text book Fender fan there mate (boardering Fender Fetish), let me guess a different Strat for each day of the week?, please tell me you at least crank them through something like a JCM 800 and not a Deluxe Reverb or Super Reverb, otherwise I'm going to start calling you "Risto's got the Blues" hehe
                      Actually my go to guitar at the moment is a Gibson SG with dual p90 pickups. It has the right amount of grunt mixed in with the unique single coil sweetness of the p90. Always feel like I am on stage with Lou Reed on the Rock'n'roll Animal live album. A real 1970's rock guitar.

A couple of telecasters, an awesome Les Paul ... the list goes on.

A couple of JCM800s, the 50 watter is preferred for its raunchier tone.
                      I play through a self made JTM45 copy most of the time lately though. I prefer the valve rectification that takes a bit of the harshness out as compared to the JCM800. Also a couple of boutique Vox AC type amps when I want to be Rory Gallagher for a bit. A favourite amp is an old 1960's Echolette which is more Marshall than any Marshall. I have more amps than guitars ... which is saying a fair bit. I will be building a Ken Fischer Trainwreck Express copy next. I've had the parts for about 2 years now ... no time.

My favourite strat is a 1976 hardtail. The tone is amazing even though I have to fight it every step of the way.

I won't even try to explain my recording equipment collection which is probably a national treasure!

I think it is evident I have a problem. Yet the bean counter in me has seen all of this stuff increase in value over the years. And some people buy shares. Go figure.

Risto's had the blues ever since Stevie Ray Vaughan died!
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• Origin
                        • Jun 2009

Origin's dad sent me on this evil path of music appreciation.
                        ;-)
                        If he got you Risto, then I guess I never had a chance in hell.. god knows what id be listening to if he had'nt set me on the true and righteous path of guitar worship..
                        "You are entitled to your own opinions, but you're not entitled to your own facts"

Comment

• Risto the Great
                          • Sep 2008

Yes Origin.
                          A man ahead of his time I would say.
                          Of course nowadays he listens to muzak more than anything I would imagine lol
                          Risto the Great

Comment

• Phoenix
                            • Dec 2008

Actually my go to guitar at the moment is a Gibson SG with dual p90 pickups. It has the right amount of grunt mixed in with the unique single coil sweetness of the p90. Always feel like I am on stage with Lou Reed on the Rock'n'roll Animal live album. A real 1970's rock guitar.

A couple of telecasters, an awesome Les Paul ... the list goes on.

A couple of JCM800s, the 50 watter is preferred for its raunchier tone.
                            I play through a self made JTM45 copy most of the time lately though. I prefer the valve rectification that takes a bit of the harshness out as compared to the JCM800. Also a couple of boutique Vox AC type amps when I want to be Rory Gallagher for a bit. A favourite amp is an old 1960's Echolette which is more Marshall than any Marshall. I have more amps than guitars ... which is saying a fair bit. I will be building a Ken Fischer Trainwreck Express copy next. I've had the parts for about 2 years now ... no time.

My favourite strat is a 1976 hardtail. The tone is amazing even though I have to fight it every step of the way.

I won't even try to explain my recording equipment collection which is probably a national treasure!

I think it is evident I have a problem. Yet the bean counter in me has seen all of this stuff increase in value over the years. And some people buy shares. Go figure.

Risto's had the blues ever since Stevie Ray Vaughan died!
                            Bloody hell Risto, you're like the Macedonian version of Imelda Marcos...

Comment

• Risto the Great
                              • Sep 2008

Marcoski?
                              Risto the Great

Comment

• Phoenix
                                • Dec 2008

Hey Risto, great site that musiciansfriend, quite a significant price diff from them to the online Aussie stores...

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X