X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spartan
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by MapleLeaf1 View Post
    Believe you me spartan, there are lots of families like that in Toronto, including cousins of mine that are half Macedonian(Egej) half Greek(Spartan), who called their Paternal Grandparents Baba/Dedo, but their kids call their parents yiayia/papou even thou they are married to "manja cakes" Another example is calling one uncle Vujche and the other Theo even thou they are both brothers
    The familiy you described is pure Macedonian, seems like the sister is the only one with her head screwed on right
    1.I believe you brother, its only the one time Ive personally seen it, and so It really stuck out to me as strange to say the least.
    2.nice one
    Originally posted by osiris View Post
    spartan that post of yours is funny man but also tragic, how do you as a person whose identity never been questioned relate to the divided ones.
    I agree with you that it is tragic as well, and it must be pretty confusing to grow up as a "divided one" as you put it. Difficult to relate to unless you've lived it I would think.

Comment

• osiris
      • Sep 2008

here is another even more absurd fruit of macedonias division. young australains of various ethnic background running aorund saying,

"zhi mi maika be"

and thinking it was greek they were speaking.

the langauge of their "'greek" mates.

Comment

• Commander Bond
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
        Imagine a death notice in a newspaper for a person who died.
        Described as adoring "Papou" of a number of Grandchildren.

Then ... EVERY Grandchild calls the deceased "Dedo" in their personal messages.

Then ... the dumbest Grkomanka Grandchild says ... "Detho, I will never forget how you called me na Detho chupche" ... and continues to proclaim the pure Greekness of her family line.

Dumb Macedonians = Grkomani
        Sad. Purely sad.

Comment

• Spartan
          • Sep 2008

here is another even more absurd fruit of macedonias division. young australains of various ethnic background running aorund saying,

"zhi mi maika be"

and thinking it was greek they were speaking.

the langauge of their "'greek" mates.

Translation please
          I wanna get it too

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

It is used in the following way, "Zhimi maika, jas ne bev tamu" = "I swear by my mother, I wasn't there". It is a common Macedonian expression which is often used in jest as well as in sincere circumstances, hence the irony of Australian people that grew up thinking they had 'Greek' friends and learned 'Greek' words from them, only to learn that it is not Greek, but Macedonian.

Many Grkomani are sick.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Spartan
              • Sep 2008

capiche
              thank-you sir
              I find these stories and Grkomani facinating.
              Never really heard of this phenomenon til recently.

If any of you guys have more stories like this, please post them
              Im very interested to hear more on this topic
              Last edited by Spartan; 12-24-2008, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Spartan, we from Egej have stories like this for every day of the year.
                Risto the Great
                MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• osiris
                  • Sep 2008

here is another story from macedonias "twilight zone" australia in the late 70s the then australian born grkoman generation goes to school, tsane tanas odaat na grchka skolia. upon been confronted with a strange foreign langauge in the class room refuse to continue with the lessons..

on the grounds that at greek school they were not been taught greek , ie the language they the grtsi spoke at home.

these are the chidren of grkomann in australia spartan, theire greek is not even a veneer anymore, not even the grandchildren of the fanatical grkoman who insisted on speaking greek to their family have any deep idealist afinity for greece. my cousin has married a child of a rabid grkoman, even more lost in hellenism than hre father. she had to learn greek after she married, in her family geek was not their families langauge, she knew next to nothing and still doesnt know much. in that whole grkoman community that i am so closely related to only 3 familys spoke broken greek at home,

funny really, how totally bizzarre it must have been growing up a child in all the grkoman families., i mean here we were their brothers and sisters living in a common culture still as kin, but we were macedonain they were greek.many of that community now openly declare to be macedonians.

its getting harder and harder for those proud people to refute their living culture and language and i am glad their pride in their culture is finally being appreaciated and winning their hearts. they dont tell their grandchildren, they are greek, as they had to their children.
                  Last edited by osiris; 12-25-2008, 05:12 AM.

Comment

• VMRO
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Sarafot View Post
                    Also we all must understand,that for exe.there was not a single Macedonian institution until 1991 which would suport Macedonians outside Macedonia and even in Macedonia,other nationalistic ideas were ''zapreni vo kalta''(Goli otok,5 strumički studenti,Čento.....)?!
                    Opinions?

That is true, The Macedonian government prior to independence stayed clear of the Macedonian minorities in greece and bulgaria on a smaller scale so they do not hurt the Yugoslavian - greece relations.

There was many Aegean Macedonians who did not know that the same people live across the border, they were taught in schools that across the border the Serbs lived there.
                    Verata vo Mislite, VMRO vo dushata, Makedonia vo Srceto.

Vnatreshna Makedonska Revolucionerna Organizacija.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by VMRO View Post
                      There was many Aegean Macedonians who did not know that the same people live across the border, they were taught in schools that across the border the Serbs lived there.
                      To be honest, I was horrified at how many Macedonians in the Republic did not know of their brothers in Egej. Many still (surprisingly) do not.
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• Spartan
                        • Sep 2008

Would you guys accept the hardcore "grkomani" who switch back?
                        Or do you consider them traitors?

Comment

• osiris
                          • Sep 2008

spartan would you refuse a brothers return.

in the words of my father who visited his sick cousin the ardent even fanatical grkoman in his last years daily, after i challenged him as to why he cared so much about someone who had been his nemisis in so many ways.

ne pulam grkoman go pulam brachet mi angele

i dont see a grkoman i see my cousin angele.

i was at the funeral of one of our communities best and most devoted leaders and i was surprised that even he, would have a grkoman brother who spoke the awkward greek of the dopia wannabee greeks.

Comment

• Spartan
                            • Sep 2008

spartan would you refuse a brothers return.
                            To tell you the truth Osiris, if the events were the same as what you guys are explaining above, I would probably not accept this "brother" if he had a change of heart.
                            Thats just my personal opinion though, andd Im not saying anyone else is wrong if they do in fact choose to accept the return under the circumstances.

in the words of my father who visited his sick cousin the ardent even fanatical grkoman in his last years daily, after i challenged him as to why he cared so much about someone who had been his nemisis in so many ways.

ne pulam grkoman go pulam brachet mi angele

i dont see a grkoman i see my cousin angele.
                            Your father is a big man, and a true christian. I am very impressed by this story, as I doubt that I could be as forgiving.
                            Bravo
                            i was at the funeral of one of our communities best and most devoted leaders and i was surprised that even he, would have a grkoman brother who spoke the awkward greek of the dopia wannabee greeks.
                            Again, what I guess is a pretty common experience among your people(after reading this thread), is unbelievable to me

Comment

• Jankovska
                              • Sep 2008

As Delcev said anyone who works for Macedonia to join Greece, Bulgaria or Serbia can be a good Greek, Bulgarian or Serbian but never a good Macedonian. I take this literally and even though I share the same blood with these people I do and always will view them as the worst enemy, traitors after all are.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
                                Would you guys accept the hardcore "grkomani" who switch back?
                                Or do you consider them traitors?
                                Depends on what you mean by "hardcore Grkomani".
                                If they were the sort who filmed demonstrations and/or reported information back to consuls etc, then it would be very difficult. (Shpioni = spies) ... And yes, they still do this Spartan.

If they were merely confused and had somehow seen the light, no problem.
                                Risto the Great

Comment

Working...
                                X